G & T Show 292 – Angry Tribal Rantings And Stuff
G & T Show 292 – Angry Tribal Rantings And Stuff is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike and Steve are back for an all new episode. Mike experienced some computer trouble prior to show time that left him unable to participate until they were resolved. They discuss the latest news coming out in and around the Star Trek multiverse, including: Unofficial Productions and Book, Technology, Television, Gaming, General, and Product News. Finally, they deliver on a double helping of angry tribal rantings around a new Women of Star Trek trading card set and the all female remake of the Lord of the Flies. Tune in to check out all of the fun in this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
During the angry tribal rantings introductions, Mike’s computer issues reared their ugly head and he spent most of the show trying to get them resolved. However, they proceed with the show starting with Coffee Klatch. Nick is nearing the end of his Babylon 5 rewatch. He loves Walter Koenig in it. Nick also worked and is changing offices again. He is now in charge of the auditorium along with the sound and video board for it.
Steve worked this week. He hasn’t had a new episode of Tribbles in Ecstasy in about a month. Steve is now handling the audio for the chat room in addition to the Facebook and YouTube streams. Mike gets the audio to work momentarily to mention that he’s worked, his DS9 rewatch continues, but mostly he’s been trying to survive the heat and smoke from the countless wildfires raging up and down Central California. Nick had some pleasant weather and rubs it into Mike’s open wounds.
Technical issues continue to plague the angry tribal rantings. Terry worked this week. They had Friday off for an Indian Feast and with Labor Day, she’ll have a four day weekend. They talk about phone booths and phone books before getting on with the show.
BLB Productions Announcements
Then, Angry Tribal Rantings picks up with some BLB Production News, starting with Nick. Nick and Steve recorded a new episode of The Gettysburg’s Address this week where Nick and his special guest compared DS9 to Babylon 5. Also new this week, Semantic Shenanigans released their latest episode. Then, the G & T Show had a Product News Round up come out this week. Terry teases that her upcoming rant. Since Mike’s mic still isn’t working, Steve plays the audio from Ross regarding what’s new with Live Love Play. Check out Live Love Play and all of BLB’s other productions.
Titan: Fortune of War
Next up for Angry Tribal Rantings, Terry mentions Dave Mack’s upcoming novel and the big but incorrect book cover reveal that happened this week. Dave’s new book is Titan: Fortune of War. The ship on the book’s cover is not the right class of ship for the Titan’s Luna Class. The ship on the cover is an Akira class. Although the ship may be similar there are some notable differences between the two. It’s unknown if they had gone to print already or not but if it has they could be a collector’s item.
The Art of Juan Ortiz
Then, Angry Tribal Rantings talks about the Art of Juan Ortiz. Star Trek.com has started releasing T-Shirts, woven rugs, and canvas art pieces with various art work representing each of TNG’s episodes. Pick your favorite TNG episode and pick up a t-shirt, rug, or canvas today.
Returning to Book News, Angry Tribal Rantings mentions an article on DefCon’s Trek Lit Blog. The post summarizes some quotes from an interview with David Mack about his upcoming Star Trek Discovery novel. Terry is pleased that Discovery books and comics are coming out with the show’s release.
Angry Tribal Rantings
Next, they reach the first of their angry tribal rantings for this week’s show. Ella from Generations Geek recently picked up a new trading card set featuring the Women of Star Trek that came out for Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary. She was displeased with the set and the way they were handled. The quotable women of Star Trek cards and women in command cards.
But the majority of the cards in the set feature an inset image, an action shot, of the woman on the card with a man or in a romantic embrace. Terry found it disheartening that women in Star Trek only seem to be there for the men and the cards reflected that. This is not how to appeal to little girls looking for role models in Star Trek. This is not the lessons we need to sending the next generation. Terry was so mad.
Then, the conversation on angry tribal rantings continues as Terry’s rant shifts to a group discussion of the cards. The quote cards and command cards are smaller subsets in the series and are the only cards that feature the women alone. The quotes on the cards are horrible. But the majority of the cards not in those smaller sets all feature the woman and their relationship to another man. Terry doesn’t recommend anyone get these cards for their children.
TrekGeeks and Axanar
Next up for Angry Tribal Rantings, Terry quickly mentions the Star Trek Beer Dispenser design included in Unofficial Productions before moving onto Television News. Nick pulls them back to Unofficial Productions to talk about Trek Geeks. They trolled Axanar with a new sign they got for their studio doors. Nick thought that it was inappropriate because it gave Axanar more credit than it deserved. They discuss it momentarily. He didn’t want them to play into Alec Peters’s hands.
Speaking of Axanar, Terry talks about Axanar’s presence at Dragon Con. They didn’t know if Peters was actually at the booth or if it was just his stuff that was at the booth. Since, when G & T hosted Axanar at their STLV booth several years earlier, he dropped off his stuff and left. Terry became suspicious of Axanar when Peters cancelled and rescheduled several interviews with them. They return to the DragonCon issues.
The DragonCon Axanar booth has Axanar collateral that features the actor’s photos including Tony Todd. They are still seeking donations but its not sure if it is for Axanar or an Axanar Fan Club. When Todd found out that his likeness was being used in this manner, he flipped out. He is no longer working on Axanar in any form and yet, they continue to advertise his participation. Steve points out that they have patches but many donors have yet to receive theirs. Terry wonders where this money goes. She warns people to be careful with their money.
Speaking of Fundraisers
Then, the Angry Tribal Rantings continue with Mike’s return and some news regarding 24 Hours of G & T. Now that Mike is back, he shares the resolution to his microphone problem.
Then, Nick puts him on the spot. 24 Hours of G & T will take place on October 28th to 29th. They will be celebrating their 300th episode for the event. They didn’t plan for it to happen. Nick mentions that the day before the event will be his birthday. He has a gift registry on Amazon. They are raising money to pay for Busy Little Beaver’s servers that G & T, Live Love Play, The Gettysburg’s Address, Semantic Shenanigans, and the O Sports Show all use among others shows.
Nick’s wife’s birthday was on Monday. He wishes her a happy birthday publicly. Then, they mention Allen’s birthday was Saturday. Nick rendered Allen speechless with his post. Nick explains it, stating that it works best with Jim Ferris. Mike scared Allen with his birthday message.
Then, Terry talks about some of the fires going on in Southern California. She hopes everyone stays safe. Also, they send their support to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Lord Of the Flies
Next up for Angry Tribal Rantings, they discuss the hoopla that erupted around the announcement of a gender swapped Lord of the Flies film. They are disappointed by the reaction. People are against the idea saying that girls would react differently than the boys reaction. Girls can be just as mean or more so than women. They don’t think its a gender thing. It’s a species thing. People, men and women, will revert to their animal instincts to survive. Without guidance and a set of rules, people will be the animals that they truly are.
It reminds Mike of a Stargate Atlantis episodes. It had tribes of kids surviving by any means necessary. They had a few basic guidelines but beyond those rules, they were wild animals. The angry tribal rantings discussion continues on for some time. Women can be just as horrific people as any man.
Mike even mentions an episode of DS9 that describes humans. It’s the root beer conversation. But specifically, the conversation mentions how wonderful humans are but when they are faced with adversity and their creature comforts are taken away, they are just as ruthless and dangerous as any Klingon or Cardassian. Steve matches Mike’s tv reference with a Buffy reference regarding this theme.
Lord of the Flies is a study of mankind not a study of gender. It is important for people to realize that anyone can be driven over the brink when faced with the right circumstances and survival becomes paramount.
Chat Room Distractions
Then, the chat room distractions take over for a while in angry tribal rantings. Everything from Jeri Ryan in underwear to a naked Supergirl. It leads Nick to talk about Tricia Helfer and her journey from model to actress. She has worked hard and honed her craft to become a great actress. Nick got to meet her at a convention. It leads him to discuss how people and stars have embraced conventions.
Mike describes it like finding your tribe, finding the family that you never knew you had. Conventions tend to be like that because there are people that are just like them, that like the same things you do. Conventions are wonderful for bringing people together. Nick talks about Orphan Black before discussing Arthurian Legends and Babylon 5.
Star Trek Night
Next up on Angry Tribal Rantings is baseball and Star Trek. Terry talks about Star Trek night at the SF Giants game. She wants the swag from the game especially the shirt. However, she’ll even take the batting glove doing the Vulcan Salute. It’s the Business Card Holder with a Star Trek batting glove. The Phillies will also have a Star Trek night and they have a Picard Bobble Head. They geek out over it. Nick wonders how many athletes are Trek fans and which Trek series would they like.
Mike mentions that CBS All Access is looking to expand beyond the US and their first acquisition for this is the Australian network TEN. He thinks it’s pretty fascinating that they are trying to expand into other countries.
Mixed Reality Headsets
Then, Mike discusses some new technology in angry tribal rantings courtesy of Microsoft. Microsoft released some details on the next major update coming to Windows 10 in the fall. First, people with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease) will be getting an accessibility feature that will enable them to use their computers after they lose fine motor control of their muscles and hands. The new update will feature Eye tracking technology.
Going hand-in-hand with the eye tracking technology is the Mixed Reality headsets that they are partnering with Dell ASUS and many other technology providers to create. These headsets will merge Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality, while making the devices affordable for everyone. The headsets will take advantage of the eye tracking technology. Essentially these new devices will have built-in Kinect technology, eliminating the need to set up sensors around your room. It’s amazing technology.
Speaking of Virtual Reality, Mike mentions that Star Trek Bridge Crew is now on sale for 50% off until September 5th so act fast. You can get the game for only $25 during this sale. Mike suggests buying the game now, picking up mixed reality headset when they become available this holiday season, and getting your Bridge Crew game-on.
Finally, Mike congratulates Disruptor Beam for the successful launch of their newest game The Walking Dead: The March to War. Mike is enjoying the game. They discuss Disruptor Beam.
24 hours of G & T
Next for Angry Tribal Rantings, Mike starts to wake up finally and provides them with a 24 Hours of G &T update. They have been collecting prizes to give away and they have some cool stuff already. They also know what their fundraising goal is. Mike hasn’t reached out to any guests yet, but is optimistic that they will be able to secure some interesting people to help them pass the time. Nick takes a poke at TrekGeeks.
Pandemics and Space Stations
Then on Angry Tribal Rantings, Nick poses the question: what if you’re on the International Space Station when a pandemic hits. Terry points out that this is not a new story. There have been similar ones told in regards to nuclear war as well. Mike mentions Last Man on Earth and how the main character’s brother was on the ISS when the pandemic that wiped out humanity hit. Nick thinks that it would be a situation bereft of hope, unlike other isolating situations where people hold on to hope that they could be rescued. On the ISS there would be little to no hope.
The conversation in Angry Tribal Rantings shifts to Mars and the fact that there are people currently seeking a one-way trip to the red planet. Terry thinks its a stupid thing because they would essentially be committing suicide. No matter what, just getting there and living there they would receive lethal doses of radiation. Terry thinks that they would need the hope that they would one day come home. They talk about historical explorers and the pioneering attitude.
The challenge for Martian exploration is to create the technology required to make the trip to Mars and then survive on the planet. The objective for Mars has to be to get there and return. Living and procreating on Mars is a death sentence due to radiation. The establishment of permanent colony should be secondary to ensuring a long and prosperous life time on the planet. People have to be able to live and have children in order to establish a permanent colony.
Finally, Terry calls for announcements. Mike quickly chimes in and responds to the previous conversation to inform Terry that there are plans to create a Martian colony underground inside lava tubes. The Martian rock and soil would protect colonists. He mentions the National Geographic show Mars revealed that as one of the long term goals of any Martian exploration and colonization effort.
Nick will be attending Salt Lake Comic Con. Dick Van Dyke will be there, which has him all excited. Mike asks everyone to support BLB’s shows and to start saving up to help with the 24 Hours of G & T fundraiser. With that they wind down this week’s show and invite everyone back for an all new episode of the G & T Show and Terry’s birthday week.b
- Semantic Shenanigans Episode 10 – We Lost September!! – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/lost-september/
- Star Trek Product News Roundup August 2017 – http://www.gandtshow.com/star-trek-product-news-august-2017/
- Also, Short News: Cover for Titan: Fortune of War by David Mack revealed – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/09/short-news-cover-for-titan-fortune-of.html
- News : David Mack talks about writing Discovery: Desperate Hours – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/09/news-david-mack-talks-about-writing.html
- Review: The Art of Juan Ortiz – Star Trek: TNG – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/review-the-art-of-juan-ortiz-star-trek-the-next-generation/
- First Look: Titan — Fortune of War – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-titan-fortune-of-war
- A Very Different Search for Spock – http://www.startrek.com/article/a-very-different-search-for-spock
- The world’s first hologram table is here & we’re living in the future – https://www.dmarge.com/2017/08/euclideon-hologram-table.html
- First of all, 3D Printable Star Trek – https://www.thingiverse.com/Rckt3Mn/collections/star-trek
- 3D Printable Star Trek USS Enterprise Ultimate Collection – https://www.thingiverse.com/make:375349/
- In addition, Star Trek Beer Dispenser – https://davesgeekyideas.com/2017/08/27/star-trek-beer-dispenser/
- Part of the Star Trek Enterprise episode “The Communicator” felt like a sitcom. So we made it into one. – http://www.therearefourmics.com/star-trek-enterprise-communicator-sitcom/
- Plus, 3D Printable Star Trek Pendant – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2505220
- Finally, 3D Printable Star Trek comm badges – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2508751
- First of all, Fox Not Concerned About The Orville, Star Trek Lawsuit – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/27/orville-star-trek-lawsuit/
- The Orville Star Mark Jackson Says Show Is For Disgruntled Star Trek Fans – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/31/the-orville-star-trek-discovery-comparisons-mark-jackson/
- Plus, CBS to Buy Australian Network as Test Ground for Streaming – http://adage.com/article/digital/cbs-buy-australian-network-test-ground-streaming/310258/
- Can Star Trek: Discovery Help CBS Boldly Go Into a Streaming Future? – http://variety.com/2017/tv/features/star-trek-discovery-preview-cbs-all-access-sonequa-martin-green-1202540540/
- Furthermore, Mary Chieffo Talks Discovery, Becoming a Klingon & More – http://www.startrek.com/article/mary-chieffo-talks-discovery-becoming-a-klingon-more
- Also, Star Trek: Discovery May Bring Back More Classic Characters – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/30/star-trek-discovery-classic-characters-/#3
- Discovery Renewed For Season 2 By CBS – https://dragonfeed.net/2017/08/30/star-trek-discovery-renewed-season-2-cbs/
- Finally, Star Trek: Discovery Writers Talk About Kelpiens, A Brand New Star Trek Species – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1007442/kelpiens-a-new-star-trek-discovery-species-will-be-more-binary-than-their-starfleet-companions/
- First of all, Microsoft’s new partnership with Valve looks like a win-win – http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-10-virtual-reality-steamvr-integrated-graphics-2017-8
- Dell’s Visor headset helps Microsoft muscle in on mid-range VR – http://newatlas.com/dell-visor-vr-windows-mixed-reality/51093/
- Furthermore, Star Trek: Bridge Crew 50% Off for Vive and Rift Until September 5th – https://www.roadtovr.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-50-off-steam-september-5th/
- Star Trek: Bridge Crew – Oculus Rift [Online Game Code] – http://amzn.to/2wu4S7Z
- In addition, Summer of Rift Ends September 4: Introducing New Bundles, Star Trek: Bridge Crew Promo, and More! – https://www.oculus.com/blog/summer-of-rift-ends-september-4-introducing-new-bundles-star-trek-bridge-crew-promo-and-more/
- Plus, The Walking Dead joins Game of Thrones and Star Trek in Disruptor Beam’s social game stable – https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/31/the-walking-dead-joins-game-of-thrones-and-star-trek-in-disruptor-beams-social-game-stable/
- Also, How to create compelling values for your Star Trek Adventures RPG character – http://geekandsundry.com/how-to-create-compelling-values-for-your-star-trek-adventures-rpg-character/
- Attack Wing Preview — Prototype 02 Card Pack – http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-preview-prototype-02-card-pack
- Plus, STO Season 13.5 Comes to Console Sept. 5th – http://www.startrek.com/article/sto-season-13-5-comes-to-console-sept-5th
- Zen Charge Bonus on PC! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10624654-zen-charge-bonus-on-pc%21
- In addition, Elachi Red Alert Weekend! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10624484-elachi-red-alert-weekend%21
- Pack Sale on PC! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10624634-pack-sale-on-pc%21
- Finally, Season 13.5 Comes to Console in September! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10624414-season-13.5-comes-to-console-in-september%21
- First of all, MLB Teams Honor Star Trek: The Next Generation 30th Anniversary – http://www.geekgirlauthority.com/mlb-teams-honor-star-trek-next-generation-30th-anniversary/
- Also, Brent Spiner Does An Incredible Patrick Stewart Impersonation – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/30/brent-spiner-patrick-stewart-impersonation/
- Stewart To Receive Peck Award – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/08/stewart-to-receive-peck-award/
- Finally, Fan Friday: How Trek Made A Difference in Fans’ Lives – http://www.startrek.com/article/fan-friday-how-trek-made-a-difference-in-fans-lives
- First of all, itty bittys® Star Trek: The Next Generation™ Captain Picard and Worf Stuffed Animals, Set of 2 – http://www.hallmark.com/gifts/stuffed-animals/itty-bittys/itty-bittys-star-trek-the-next-generation-captain-picard-and-worf-stuffed-animals-set-of-2-1KDD1378.html
- Latest Star Trek: Discovery Promo Goes To Red Alert With Some New Shots – https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/31/latest-star-trek-discovery-promo-goes-to-red-alert-with-some-new-shots/
- In addition, The Next Generation All Good Things… T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-all-good-things-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459898&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, Star Trek The Next Generation Parallels T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-parallels-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459888&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Furthermore, The Next Generation Chain of Command, Part II T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-chain-of-command-part-ii-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459883&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, Star Trek The Next Generation Relics T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-relics-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459868&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- The Next Generation Darmok T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-darmok-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459853&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Plus, Star Trek The Next Generation The Best of Both Worlds, Part II T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-the-best-of-both-worlds-part-ii-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459838&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, The Next Generation Sins of the Father T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-sins-of-the-father-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459828&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, Star Trek The Next Generation Yesterday’s Enterprise T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-yesterdays-enterprise-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459823&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, The Next Generation The Neutral Zone T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-the-neutral-zone-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1459803&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- TNG Firstborn Woven Throw [36 x 58] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-firstborn-woven-throw-36-x-58/detail.php?p=1459793&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, The Next Generation Phantasms Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-phantasms-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459768&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek The Next Generation Frame of Mind Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-frame-of-mind-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459763&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Furthermore, The Next Generation The Chase Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-the-chase-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459758&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, TNG Redemption, Part II Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-redemption-part-ii-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459743&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- The Next Generation The Inner Light Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-the-inner-light-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459753&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Furthermore, Star Trek The Next Generation Conspiracy Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-conspiracy-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459723&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Finally, The Next Generation Skin of Evil Canvas [12×18] – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-skin-of-evil-canvas-12×18/detail.php?p=1459718&v=startrek_new-arrivals
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017