G & T Show 295 – Discovering Orville: Depth of Storytelling
G & T Show 295 – Discovering Orville: Depth of Storytelling is now available to download. Check it out here. While Nick is away at Salt Lake Comic Con, Terry and Mike are joined by Steve and Allen. They discuss the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multiverse. This week, they examine Book, Gaming, General, Product, and Television News focused on Star Trek: Discovery and it’s upcoming premiere. For Unofficial Productions and their general discussion topic, they are discovering Orville. They focus on the latest episodes of the Seth MacFarlane series. Their discussion emphasizes the show’s comedy and the surprising depth of its storytelling. Join them in discovering Orville in the latest episode of the G & T Show.
LEGO Busy Work
As usual, they begin with their regular round of introductions before jumping into this week’s Coffee Klatch and discovering Orville. First, with Nick out at Salt Lake Comic Con, Steve goes first. He has finished a major project at work. He is trying to get caught up with some of his other unfinished projects. This includes the first episode of Tribbles In Ecstasy in a couple of months.
Then, Mike shares his week. At the beginning of the week, Mike picked up the new LEGO Dimensions packs for Teen Titans Go!, Power Puff Girls, and Beetlejuice. Then, by the end of the week, he picked up the new LEGO Ninjago Movie game. The kids freaked out when they saw the Ninjago Movie game. He hasn’t had a chance to play them yet, but the kids seem to be enjoying them.
Also, Mike has played a new round of Star Trek Adventures this week. They were down most of the crew, so Jim had them do a one-off shuttle mission. It was fun. Jim pulled the whole thing out of his ass. Jim listened to them strategize and progressed the story based on some of the ideas they had put forward. Terry believes that’s the sign of a great GM.
Hyatt Does Chopped
Next, Terry shared her week. She spent most of the time working. Her team at work returned from Florida after taking claims from Irma. Her fingers are swollen from the number of claims she had to process. Also, they attended The Good Tastes series, which is a cooking event at the Hyatt where Allen works. They held the semi-final round of a Chopped-like contest featuring the best chefs from the domestic Hyatt Hotels. They share their experiences and some of the details from the contest. The winner will move onto the global finals with the best Hyatt chefs from around the world.
Finally, Allen shares his week for Coffee Klatch. He is relieved to finally finish a major project at work. Also, he has been making progress on the game he’s been playing. He likes the Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Wii U. They discuss the game briefly before moving on to rest of the Discovering Orville episode of the G & T Show.
New From BLB
Then, for discovering Orville, they quickly touch upon what’s new with Busy Little Beaver Productions. Mike starts them off with Star Trek Adventures. Jim is preparing for his wedding so the release of the latest episode will be delayed. Keep an eye out for it soon. Also, the latest Gettysburg’s Address is still delayed. Steve is waiting on some more audio from Nick before it could get posted.
Then, Mike shares that he has made some progress on 24 Hours of G & T. He’s reached out to their entire guest list. He is waiting to hear from most of them. But he has confirmations from a few people already. They include: James Kerwin and Kipleigh Brown, Larry Nemecek, and Dayton Ward. He’s hoping to hear from more people soon.
Discovery Is On Tonight
First, for Discovering Orville, Terry talks about Star Trek: Discovery. The show premieres first on CBS network at 8:30pm. Mike is excited. Then, episodes one and two will be available tonight immediately after the premiere on CBS All Access. This will be along with the after show, After Trek. If you haven’t subscribed to CBS All Access please use our affiliate link. Terry goes into details on how you can subscribe to CBS All Access and watch Star Trek: Discovery.
Then, Steve mentions that at 7am Universal Time, Discovery will be available internationally on Netflix. After Trek should be available at that time as well. Canada should be getting All Access starting next year. Mike add that Australia should be available there sooner than later.
The Red Carpet Premiere
Next on discovering Orville, they shift gears from All Access to something big that happened for Discovery. Also, this week was the Red Carpet Premiere for Discovery. Mike and Terry were jealous of their friends that were able to attend the premiere. It was streamed live on Facebook. They watched it. Although Mike missed it, he heard that the first people to walk down the red carpet was the Trimbles. They were responsible for the letter writing campaign. It got Star Trek a second season and subsequently the 50+ years of Star Trek that followed. Terry talks about the Trimbles.
Then, the premiere had interviews with the cast. There were Klingons in costumes. But they were marketing actors, not the actual actors since they attended the event as themselves. Mike loved seeing the interviews with everyone. Sonequa Martin-Greene met with Nichelle Nichols. Nichelle passed the proverbial baton to her.
Of course, everyone attending was under NDA and could not talk about what they had seen. They were shown the first episode. They also saw a preview of the second, featuring all of the characters not in the first episode. The reaction tweets and posts were all positive. This promises to be a great show. Mike asks people on the east coast to mind spoilers until after the episode has aired. Terry suggests rather that people should rather avoid social media if they wish to avoid spoilers.
Mirror Universe Discovery
Then, discovering Orville shifts gears to talk about the Mirror Universe. Jonathan’s Frakes slip up last week revealed that there will be a Mirror Universe episode in Discovery. They hope he doesn’t get in trouble for it. Although they discussed it last week, it was breaking news at the time. They discuss the idea of the Mirror Universe in Discovery. Mike hopes it is not a cross over into the Mirror Universe. Rather, he’d prefer a peek at the universe like they did with Enterprise.
Next, Allen admits he hates the Mirror Universe. Steve doesn’t like it either. They have a hard time believing in the alternate universe. The same characters end up in the same place, on the same ship? And all at the same time? Steve would have preferred to see Stargate’s handling of alternate universes. It was more aligned with the Quantum Parallel Universe theory. That is where each universe featured minor changes. But everyone was basically the same.
Then, Terry chimes in that she doesn’t mind the Mirror Universe. But she believes it is too soon for it to come about. No one will really get to know the characters. Yet they are already going to be shown as their evil alternates. Mike has a theory. Because Discovery has a Mirror Universe in the first season, then every season will feature a Mirror Universe episode. Once the door is open it’s hard to close. And he cites DS9 specifically. Terry wonders if the MU will be Discovery’s crutch just as time travel was the crutch for other series.
So Much Discovery
Next on discovering Orville, they continue with more Discovery information. They are a bit overwhelmed that with the launch looming, so much stuff has come out about the new show. There are behind the scene photos and set tours, and so much other stuff that they can’t mention it all. Check out the links below for some of the highlights.
The Trek Collective
Discovering Orville continues with the return of a valuable Trek resource. 8 of 5 has returned to manage the Trek Collective. He been busy this week catching up with the latest updates from Discovery. First, the Hallmark Ornament for next year will feature the USS Discovery. Also, Eaglemoss will get the USS Discovery as well. The Aventine and the Titan have all been previewed through the Trek Collective. Terry is excited that these ships from the books have been included.
Then, they talk about some of the other products currently available including the T-Shirts. Terry wants the medical uniform t-shirt. In Star Trek Online, they have added for a limited time the Star Trek Discovery uniforms. Log in now and claim them before they’re gone. It is an account wide unlock. Star Trek Timelines has added Discovery to the game. Lt. Saru is a freebie and they have added a Discovery captain to the start of the game. Additionally, they will be launching a Discovery themed MEGA event starting next week.
Then, discovering Orville continues with Terry giving CBS much deserved credit. They are doing for Discovery what they should have done for Enterprise. Steve praises CBS for keeping so much of the show under wraps. The story and even the Discovery itself has been kept secret. Most shows and movies spoil everything right off the bat. They want people to check it out and watch and they think people will do that. They are looking forward to meeting new characters and getting new character-driven stories. It shows that they have learned lessons from their past. They are doing it right with Discovery with all of the products and associated stuff. The fact that its on a streaming service has helped, Steve believes.
Then, Mike talks a detour for a Discovery adjacent news item. Wilson Cruz is set to receive a Point Courage Award for Service to the LGBTQ Community. He plays the doctor on Discovery and is the partner to the gay character played by Anthony Rapp. Mike congratulates Cruz or it.
Finally, they talk about the show’s development. It’s been twelve years since the last Star Trek show. The show has been two years in the making. They enjoyed seeing it evolve over the past two years since they announced it.
Other Cool Products
Moving on to discovering Orville with a discussion of the latest episode, About A Girl. But first, they quickly touch on some other non-Discovery products that were announced. Terry begins with the TNG Tiki Cups. They’re adorable. Then, she goes on to talk about the 2018 Ships of the Line Calendar. They are available on Thinkgeek, along with the Discovery badges.
Then, shifting gears to book news, David Mack’s Discovery tie-in novel is still available for pre-order. It will be released Tuesday. However, there are some booksellers that have already started selling the book. Dave is unhappy because it contains spoilers for the first episode.
Mirror Universe Divergence
Then, Mike backtracks a little bit on discovering Orville. Because they mentioned Mirror Universe earlier, Mike talks about LootCrate. They will feature an exclusive TNG Mirror Universe comic in their latest Robotic Box. Terry loves how the Mirror Universe is explored in Books and Comics. Allen can’t help but roll his eyes on it. She talks about one of her favorite alternate universe stories from Myriad Universe which isn’t Mirror Universe but similar concept. Allen wouldn’t mind the way they handled the Mirror Universe. That was exploring the Mirror Universe one character at a time.
Then, Mike wonders when the Mirror Universe began. He thinks it was Enterprise’s end of the Temporal Cold War in World War II. Allen disagrees. He thinks it happened with Edith Keeler, Temporal Agent. She’s the worst temporal agent ever. She had one job. Steve thinks that there must have been a Section 31 Temporal Agent that was driving the car.
Terry hasn’t seen it. But with everyone talking about it, Terry knows enough about it that she doesn’t need to see it. Allen has seen it as well as Steve. However, Mike has seen the episode five times and picks up on something new with every viewing. He laughed his ass of on the dance off, appreciated the easter eggs from Star Trek and other scifi franchises. He discusses some of his favorite easter eggs. But it was the depth of the story for the latest episode that he appreciated the most. It featured arguments from both sides of multiple issues.
Then, Allen adds if you remove the bathroom humor, and swap the characters and universe, the episode would have been right at home as a classic Star Trek episode. It had everything you expected from a Trek episode. It covered so much more than just one issues. They quickly outline some of the current issues the show identified. It works so well on so many levels. Mike adds that Brannon Braga even liked his post. The episode was directed by Brannon Braga.
They discuss what they like and don’t like about the Orville. Allen doesn’t think it has figured out what it is going to be yet. It’s either going to be a parody of Star Trek or a respectful homage to Star Trek. They discuss the problems and successes of Orville’s humor. And then they dive deep into the thought provoking issues presented in the latest episodes.
Finally, they start winding down discovering Orville. Check out Discovery and use our link to do so. All of the La Forge and Galaxy Packs codes are gone. Terry mentions the new featured episode in Star Trek Online. She thinks it sets the stage for upcoming episodes. She thought it was lighter and fun. Join them next week for more G & T Show and a discussion of Discovery and more Orville.
- First of all, The Trek Collective is back in action! – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/the-trek-collective-is-back-in-action.html
- New Discovery comic details and cover – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/new-discovery-comic-details-and-cover.html
- Star Trek: Boldly Go, Issue 14 – http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Boldly_Go,_Issue_14
- Also, IDW Publishing December 2017 Solicitations Spoilers: Star Trek Discovery Continues To Boldly Go In Official Tie-In Comic – http://insidepulse.com/2017/09/20/idw-publishing-december-2017-solicitations-spoilers-star-trek-discovery-continues-to-boldly-go-in-official-tie-in-comic/
- Comic Book Review – Star Trek Boldly Go #11 – https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/09/comic-book-review-star-trek-boldly-go-11/
- Finally, Star Trek Next Gen Mirror Universe Comic Available Exclusively In Loot Crate’s Latest Robotic Box – https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/21/star-trek-next-gen-mirror-universe-comic-exclusive-loot-crate-robotic-box-november/
- First of all, Review: The Official Starships Collection – USS Titan – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/review-official-starships-collection.html
- Mega Eaglemoss update: Discovery series sign up, Aventine images, and more issues previewed – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/mega-eaglemoss-update-discovery-series.html
- Hallmark reveals USS Discovery ornament for 2018, and other new decorations – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/hallmark-reveals-uss-discovery-ornament.html
- Star Trek Skill for Amazon’s Alexa – http://amzn.to/2fpqXiy
- First Hallmark USS DISCOVERY Concept Renderings – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/first-hallmark-uss-discovery-concept-renderings/
- In addition, Beam Yourself To Another World With Star Trek: Discovery’s New Snapchat Lens – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1007593/beam-yourself-to-another-world-with-star-trek-discovery-s-new-snapchat-lens/
- STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION TIKI MUGS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD – http://nerdist.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-tiki-mugs-think-geek/
- S.S Aventine Starship Model (NCC-82602) – https://shop.eaglemoss.com/star-trek-official-starship-collection/uss-aventine-starship-model-ncc-82602
- 2018 Star Trek Ships of the Line Wall Calendar – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jrun/
- Star Trek Discovery Insignia Badges – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kmrk/
- Spock’s Last Words Best Friends Necklace – http://geekologie.com/2017/09/star-trek-spocks-last-words-best-friends.php
- Plus, Star Trek Discovery Klingon Logo T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK227/star-trek-discovery-klingon-logo-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Discovery Starfleet Command T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK226/star-trek-discovery-starfleet-command-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Star Trek Discovery Comic Delta T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK223/star-trek-discovery-comic-delta-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Discovery Comic Ship T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK224/star-trek-discovery-comic-ship-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- In addition, Star Trek Discovery Starfleet Command T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK225/star-trek-discovery-starfleet-command-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Discovery Starfleet Command Mug – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK383/star-trek-discovery-starfleet-command-mug?cp=67928_82904
- Star Trek Discovery Klingon Logo Mug – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK382/star-trek-discovery-klingon-logo-mug?cp=67928_82904
- Finally, the Discovery Starfleet Delta Mug – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK381/star-trek-discovery-starfleet-delta-mug?cp=67928_82904
- First of all, Loads of new Discovery behind the scenes footage – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/loads-of-new-discovery-behind-scenes_19.html
- Two photos showcase the power of representation in Discovery – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/two-photos-showcase-power-of.html
- Lots of new Discovery behind the scenes videos – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/lots-of-new-discovery-behind-scenes.html
- In addition, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ First Impressions of Pilot + Red Carpet Coverage – https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/19/star-trek-discovery-red-carpet-premiere-live-coverage/
- Geek Nation Tours: Star Trek: Discovery First Look & Fan Reactions – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_d_9UnhHkU
- New STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Bridge Set Tour Video, Plus: Interview Roundup & Review Embargo Details – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/new-star-trek-discovery-bridge-set-tour-video-plus-interview-roundup-review-embargo-details/
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Premiere Title Revealed + More Images And Commentary From Cast & Crew – https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/16/star-trek-discovery-update-producer-talks-politics-cast-talk-uniform-tightness-and-more-bts-pix/
- Jonathan Frakes Let Slip an Unexpected Star Trek: Discovery Spoiler – https://io9.gizmodo.com/jonathan-frakes-let-slip-an-unexpected-star-trek-disco-1818490734
- Furthermore, WATCH: Latest ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Trailer “A Future Worth Fighting For” – http://www.treknews.net/2017/09/17/star-trek-discovery-future-worth-fighting-for/
- WATCH: First Four Discovery Episode Titles Revealed – http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-first-four-discovery-episode-titles-revealed
- An Exciting Talk with Star Trek: Discovery’s Rod Roddenberry – https://blackgirlnerds.com/exciting-talk-star-trek-discoverys-rod-roddenberry/
- Get A Behind-The-Scenes Look At Star Trek: Discovery’s Artful Production – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1007580/get-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-star-trek-discovery-s-artful-production/
- Also, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Premiere Unites Starship Casts Both New and Old – https://www.space.com/38216-star-trek-discovery-premiere-unites-casts.html
- On ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ a Franchise Boldly Goes Into the Serial TV Era – https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/arts/television/star-trek-discovery.html
- WATCH: DID VOYAGER’S DOCTOR JUST HINT HE’LL BE ON STAR TREK: DISCOVERY? – http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/watch-did-voyagers-doctor-just-hint-hell-be-on-star-trek-discovery
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Robot Character Revealed? – https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/21/star-trek-discovery-robot-character-revealed/
- STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Costumes Examined in New Video – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/star-trek-discovery-costumes-examined-in-new-video/
- Plus, CBS explores the digital frontier with ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ – http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-star-trek-cbs-streaming-service-20170923-story.html
- ‘Star Trek’ braves new streaming frontier – http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/22/media/star-trek-discovery-preview/index.html
- Everything Star Trek Fans Will Love About Star Trek: Discovery – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1007612/everything-star-trek-fans-will-love-about-star-trek-discovery/
- Matt Mira To Host After Trek – http://www.startrek.com/article/matt-mira-to-host-after-trek
- In addition, WATCH: Martin-Green Beams to Rachael Ray Show, The Talk – http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-martin-green-beams-to-rachael-ray-show-the-talk
- INTERVIEW: Discovery Writer, Voyager Novelist Kirsten Beyer – http://www.startrek.com/article/interview-discovery-writer-voyager-novelist-kirsten-beyer
- INTERVIEW: Discovery Writer-Director, Akiva Goldsman – http://www.startrek.com/article/interview-discovery-writer-director-akiva-goldsman
- Finally, EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Discovery’s Anthony Rapp – http://www.startrek.com/article/exclusive-interview-discoverys-anthony-rapp
- First of all, Discovery joins Star Trek video games – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/09/discovery-joins-star-trek-video-games.html
- Star Trek Online: Beyond The Nexus – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/09/star-trek-online-beyond-the-nexus/
- Season 14 Launches October 3 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10648434-season-14-launches-october-3
- Star Trek: Discovery Warps Into STAR TREK TIMELINES – https://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog?category=STAR%20TREK%20TIMELINES
- Get the Uniforms of Star Trek Discovery! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10645474-get-the-uniforms-of-star-trek-discovery%21
- Also, Galaxy Class Interior Now on Sale! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644384-galaxy-class-interior-now-on-sale%2521
- Announcing the Season 14 Space Queue – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10649624-announcing-the-season-14-space-queue
- New Ground Queue: Dranuur Beach Assault – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10645434-new-ground-queue%3A-dranuur-beach-assault
- Plus, STO Fiction – “Baby Steps” – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644374-%22baby-steps%22
- Announcing the Miracle Worker Specialization! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644254-announcing-the-miracle-worker-specialization%21
- Privateer Lockbox Items Added to the Infinity Lockbox! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10645354-privateer-lockbox-items-added-to-the-infinity-lockbox%21
- Futhermore, Beyond the Nexus Week Two Rewards – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10644314-beyond-the-nexus-week-two-rewards%21
- Plus, GEEKY Q&A: GLENN HETRICK – http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/geeky-qa-glenn-hetrick
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Star Wilson Cruz to Receive Point Courage Award for Service to LGBTQ Community – http://www.etonline.com/star-trek-discovery-star-wilson-cruz-receive-point-courage-award-service-lgbtq-community-87721
- Furthermore, Alexa beams up new Star Trek skills, including Klingon – https://www.cnet.com/au/news/alexa-star-trek-discover-skills-amazon-echo-klingon-trivia/
- Second arrest made in ‘Star Trek: The Experience’ actor’s murder case – http://news3lv.com/news/local/second-arrest-made-in-star-trek-the-experience-actors-murder-case
- Seth MacFarlane Says The Orville Will Have Star Trek Cameos – http://screenrant.com/seth-macfarlane-orville-star-trek-cameos-shatner-takei/
- Setting The Stage: Why Fans Of Science Fiction Should Be Rooting For ‘The Orville’ – https://moviepilot.com/p/why-scifi-rans-should-be-rooting-for-the-orville/4374712
- In addition, 3D Printable – Trekkie Star Trek Wall Art – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2543833
- ‘The Orville’ Episode 3 Review & Recap: Delivering What Star Trek Fans Crave – http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/09/the-orville-episode-3-review-recap-about-a-girl-star-trek-fans/
- 3D Printable – Star Trek – https://www.thingiverse.com/Naptownmatt/collections/star-trek
- Finally, FANCASTING A STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE MOVIE FOR 2017 – http://nerdist.com/fancasting-a-star-trek-deep-space-nine-movie-for-2017/
- Karl Urban Wants To Explore McCoy’s Family In ‘Star Trek 4’ – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/09/17/karl-urban-star-trek-4-mccoy-family/
- This doctor is making Star Trek dreams come true – https://torontolife.com/tech/doctor-making-star-trek-dreams-come-true/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- Resignation - October 18, 2017
- G & T Show 298 – Gaping Writing Holes - October 15, 2017
- G & T Show 296 – Discovery Klingon Language with The Klingon Pop Warrior - October 8, 2017