G & Show 233 – Sum of Its Parts
G & Show 233 – Sum of Its Parts is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, and Janet are here and Allen joins them later to discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse. This week, they talk about some interesting Technology News, New Star Trek products, and all of the Movie News that has circulated this week. They also discuss the Axanar lawsuit in their newest segment Semantic Shenanigans. Also, they wind up this week’s show with another installment of 50 for 50. Don’t miss everything they’ve crammed into this episode and they couldn’t get to all of their links.
(1:44) After this week’s introductions, they jump right into this week’s Coffee Klatch. Nick has been sick with the flu. Terry has been boiling chicken breast for Casey since he’s been sick this week. Terry thinks its because Allen has been gone and Terry had her business trip in Chicago, which means the dogs had spent a night at the kennel. Nick got married in Utah last week and returned back to work before catching the flu. He did manage to watch the Giants v Dodgers game. He talks about some of the great classic announcers, especially Vince Scully. Mike had a story published on ScienceFiction.com. It was a Doctor Who fan fiction story about Jim The Fish. Also, Straight Outta Gallifrey had their eighth episode. He and Katie also recorded a new bumper for the show. Janet has also been sick this week. She’s been doing homework, which consists of making Internet memes. She also analyzed the response to the motion to dismiss.
(14:10) They kick off this week’s show with Technology News and the latest breakthrough in Transporter Technology. They have successfully been able to transmit information from one location to another. Now, they have gotten even more specific by transporting chemical and physical properties of an object. This is another step towards the goal.
(16:13) They move onto this week’s Product News. There are some new Triton Water bottles on Star Trek.com. When Mike had saved the link, the pillows were the newest items. The TOS and TNG pillows are cool. There are also water charms, a can cooler, luggage tags, and so much more. Trekcore has reported that Hallmark will be releasing their convention specific ornaments at three conventions this year. The Original Enterprise 1701 will only be available at San Diego Comic Con, New York Comic Con, and Star Trek: Mission New York. It suggests Hallmark will not be attending STLV 2016. An Ottawa Brewery will be introducing a Tribble Beer in time for the Starfleet Academy event at the Canadian Air and Space Museum. They use triticale grain in their beer. Mike confirms that the article mentions that they are licensed but the beer will be limited edition. Terry went crazy over the next item when she saw it. Star Trek now has a Trivial Pursuit game that features a Galileo Shuttlecraft container. They hope to get it in time for Dinner with G & T prior to STLV. The release date for the remastered Blu-Ray for Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan Director’s Cut has been set for June 7th. Pre-order yours today. The Bradford Exchange has an extra helping of cheese with their Illuminated Star Trek Tabletop lamp with transporter base, Enterprise lampshade, Delta screw, and the “To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before” quote on the base.
(27:32) Next, they discuss the latest Movie News coming out around Star Trek Beyond. An interview with Justin Lin, he recently said that he’s making a big budget fan film. He’s a fan of the material going into the project. They discuss their respective opinions of his statement. Mike shared a pair of links about some of the new theater experiences that Star Trek Beyond will be available in. It will be available in Dolby Cinema which will have great picture and sound quality. Also, it has been announced that Star Trek Beyond will be available in immersive ultra-widescreen Barco Escape Theaters. There will be three screens that will practically wrap around the audience. Beyond in this format will feature as much as 20 minutes of extra footage that will be displayed on the adjacent screens. Terry points to both of these as examples of how theater going experiences are becoming much more specialized. She’s worried about the seams where the three screens meet, breaking her experience. Mike says there’s one in Fresno and he’s considering going to check it out. There are about a dozen theaters currently available but more will be added soon. Nick is concerned if those screens turning on and off will interrupt people’s viewing experience. Also, Pegg has seen an advanced version of the Star Trek Beyond trailer and loves what he’s seen. The trailer will be released at a Paramount Fan event next month which will kick off the marketing push for the film. The event will be broadcast live on Facebook and will be available after the fact. The Trailer should be posted online around that time. Finally, an interview with Edris Elba was posted this week talking about the character of Krall that he played in the film. Krall has a legitmate hatred for the Federation. Mike had heard that there will be brief flashbacks that will provide some of the background regarding it. Also, Mike points out that Elba is claustrophobic and wonders if it impacted his portrayal of the character.
(44:37) For Unofficial Productions, they launch their new segment Semantic Shenanigans dealing with the lawsuit and other legal issues that arise in the fandom. This time, Janet is discussing the Plantiff’s Response to the Second Motion to Dismiss and the Judiciary Notice. She’s already posted a blog that details everything she’s going to discuss and suggests everyone read the blog for more information. Nick suggests everyone check out the comments. She quickly addresses some of the concerns commenters had before jumping into the recently released documents. For the discussion, they focus their conversation on Vulcan. They discuss some of the big points of the response. One of the big points of the discussion is that it’s about the sum of its parts, not the individual elements. Terry mentions that she had re-listened to Alec’s interview with them from 2013. That was the film that she wanted to see, but things began to change once the money started coming in and they took it far beyond the film. They move onto the Request for Judicial Notice. She discusses what it means and some of the highlights in the their response. Mike points on that the use of one online dictionary over another would be part of the grounds used to dismiss. Although the defense selected dictionaries that supported their point of view to define certain terms, and then, selected one definition from all of them that were available — some of those dictionaries actually referenced Star Trek as a definition for other terms. They point out that both of these documents were designed to confuse the issue and control the narrative. Terry praises Janet for her efforts helping them make sense of everything that is going on and educating people to how the law works. Janet offers a preview of her thoughts on The Measure of A Man that they will discuss later in their 50 for 50. Janet will be blogging on other legal issues as they pertain to the fandom as part of their upcoming Semantic Shenanigans. The next one will be about Sea Monkeys.
(1:37:40) It’s time for the 50 for 50. Mike mentions that he’s designing You Only Have Yourselves To Blame T-Shirts. Allen joins the show at this point. They ask him about his recent vacation to Mexico. This week, they are discussing DS9’s The Siege of AR558 and TNG’s The Measure of A Man. Allen provides a synopsis for The Siege of AR558 first. They have a spirited discussion of the episode and its various aspects before moving onto The Measure of A Man. Next week they will be discussing #16 DS9’s Duet and #15 DS9’s The Way of the Warrior. Join us next time for the discussion of these two great episodes.
(2:18:15) They finish up with this week’s Announcements. Mike starts off with The O Sports Show. Their first episode debuted last weekend. Their second episode will be out today. Be sure to check it out. Straight Outta Gallifrey’s 8th episode is out. And Mike reminds everyone to check out his Doctor Who Fan Fiction story over on ScienceFiction.com. Terry thanks Janet for her work and reminds everyone to check out her analysis of the Response to the Second Motion to Dismiss. Janet received a marriage proposal during the show, but her husband may have something to say about that. Join them next week for our next episode.
G & T Show Links
- Mike has a Doctor Who Fan Fic story about Jim The Fish published on ScienceFiction . com – http://sciencefiction.com/2016/04/10/short-story-sunday-jim-the-fish/
- Straight Outta Gallifrey Episode 8 – “We Are All Young … DUDES!” has been released this week – http://straightouttagallifrey.com/2016/04/15/e8-we-are-all-young-dudes/
- Janet Analyzes the Plantiff’s Response to the Second Motion to Dismiss – http://www.gandtshow.com/axanar-plaintiffs-respond-2nd-motion-dismiss/
- The O Sports Show Episode 1 – http://osportsshow.com/the-o-sports-show-episode-001/
- The O Sports Show Episode 2 – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-episode-002/
- Breakthrough in Star Trek Style Transporter Technology – http://www.inquisitr.com/2975388/star-trek-tranporter-technology-breakthrough/
- Star Trek Pillows, Water Bottles, and more – http://shop.startrek.com/?v=startrek_shop-by-category_home-office&ecid=PRF-STRK-001220&pa=PRF-STRK-001220
- Hallmark’s New USS Enterprise Ornament Will Only Be Available at Three 2016 Fan Conventions – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/hallmarks-new-uss-enterprise-ornament-will-only-be-available-at-three-2016-fan-conventions/
- Ottawa Brewer Offers Tribbles-Themed Beer – http://1701news.com/node/1137/ottawa-brewer-offers-tribbles-themed-beer.html
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Trivial Pursuit in Galileo Shuttlecraft – http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=978556&icid=hp-slider_trivial-pursuit-pre-sale_04132016
- Remastered Star Trek II Blu-Ray Coming June 7. First Preorders for New Edition Now Available – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/remastered-star-trek-ii-blu-ray-coming-june-7-first-preorders-for-new-edition-now-available/
- Bradford Exchange Star Trek Tabletop Lamp With Illuminated Transporter Base – http://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/119926001_star-trek-illuminated-transporter-tabletop-lamp.html?cm_ven=SMO&cm_cat=Facebook&cm_pla=Like&cm_ite=119926001&utm_source=SMO&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Like&utm_term=119926001
- Justin Lin Says Directing Star Trek Feels Like He’s Making the Biggest-Budgeted Fan Film – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/justin-lin-says-directing-star-trek-beyond-feels-like-hes-making-the-biggest-budgeted-fan-film/
- Star Trek Beyond To Be Presented In Dolby Cinema & New Theater Posters – http://www.treknews.net/2016/04/11/star-trek-beyond-theater-posters-dolby-cinema/
- Star Trek Beyond To Be Released In Immersive Ultra-Widescreen Barco Escape Theaters – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/star-trek-beyond-to-be-released-in-ultra-widescreen-barco-escape-theaters/
- Simon Pegg describes the upcoming Star Trek Beyond Trailer as “It’s Awesome” – https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/719705086981607424
- Star Trek Beyond Trailer Coming in May, Debuting at a Paramount-Planned Fan Event Next Month – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/star-trek-beyond-trailer-coming-in-may-debuting-at-a-paramount-planned-fan-event-next-month/
- TrekCollective: Star Trek Beyond round-up: Aliens, New Release Format, posters, and promo – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/04/star-trek-beyond-round-up-aliens-new.html
- Idris Elba on his Star Trek Beyond character Krall with a well-earned hatred of the Federation – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/idris-elba-on-his-star-trek-beyond-character-krall-with-a-well-earned-hatred-of-the-federation/
- Klingon Invasion at City hall Secures Funding For Expo – https://www.timminstoday.com/local-news/three-klingons-attend-city-council-meeting-277877?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
- Quirky home breaks tradition with indoor pool and Star Trek doors – http://www.reviewjournal.com/real-estate-millions/quirky-home-breaks-tradition-indoor-pool-and-star-trek-doors-photos
- Trekonderoga 2016: What will it Include – http://www.trekonderoga.com/
- STLV 2016 only those with Admission Tickets will be allowed into the convention center areas – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas.html
- Details Surface for Star Trek Beyond Fan Event on May 20th – http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/14/details-surface-for-star-trek-beyond-fan-event-on-may-20th/
- Aron Eisneberg and Max Grodenchik have been added to STLV 2016 – https://twitter.com/CreationEnt/status/721038483284832257
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Front Week 1 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9911053-star-trek-online%3A-temporal-front-week-1
- Star Trek Online: Season 11.5 Now Live! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9910803-star-trek-online%3A-season-11.5-now-live%21
- Star Trek Online: Na’kuhl Red Alerts – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9910973
- Star Trek Online Fiction: Once Per Year by Jesse Heinig – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9915843
- Star Trek Timelines has released Update 1.1.0 for Android and iOS – https://www.disruptorbeam.com/forums/stt/viewannounce/50811_50
- Star Trek Timelines introduces new crew: Naomi Wildman, Ensign Sito, Ambassador Neelix, and Tuvix fusion with the latest update.
- CBS All Access’ Star Trek 2017 Production Team Launches ‘Writers Room’ Twitter Account – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/cbs-all-access-star-trek-2017-production-team-launches-writers-room-twitter-account/
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Writing Contest: Announcing the Winners! – http://www.startrekbooks.com/pages/strangenewworldswinners?intcmp=ihp_bb&cp_date=istb_bb_04132016_stsnwwc
- Tribeca 2016: See the Exclusive trailer for Leonard Nimoy Documentary, For the Love of Spock – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/leonard-nimoy-documentary-spock-trailer
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017