G & T Show 231 – Logical Nosferatu – Geshundheit
Geshundheit! G & T Show 231 – Logical Nosferatu – Geshundheit is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick joined them a little late, but Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen were ready to begin this week’s show, discussing the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multiverse with Unofficial Productions, Books, and Products. They even have an insightful discussion of a couple of DS9 episodes for their 50 for 50 segment. Don’t miss it.
With Nick M.I.A. when they begin the show, Terry kicks things off with introductions before jumping into Coffee Klatch. Terry spoke about the recent interview with Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore. They have lots of great stuff coming out. Mike and Terry were taken by the idea that Dayton and Kevin would be writing a rock opera about Spock: Spock of Ages. It was an April Fools joke and they were taken. Mike still wants the thing made and suggests a Kickstarter to get the guys from Enterprise Blues Band to star in it with Max Grodenchick reprising the role of Christine Chapel. Mike had enjoyed all of the April Fools jokes that came out on Friday. He wanted the Think Geek White Noise generator and was disappointed that it wasn’t a real product. They think the Star Wars popsicles will be the product that comes out. They talk about some of their favorite pranks, including Hamburger Helper’s Rap Album and Quilted Northern’s Artisan toilet paper. Janet spent the week reading a 100 page legal document and writing it up in addition to her homework. Allen worked. Nick watched Goblet of Fire this week which accompanied his reading of the Harry Potter books. He was surprised that David Tennant was in there. They talk about some of the differences between the books and the films.
Terry mentions that big news from Axanar did come out this week, but they want to discuss a few things first. She moves them into Book News. Pocket Books is offering the entire Star Trek books line in a DRM-free format. The books still have to be purchased, but once purchased, they can be read on any device. Terry is looking forward to reading all of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers books. Plus they have some 99 cent deals going on right now. Mike has check it out. The books are not a downloadable file. People who purchase books are being contained to a web app called Glose. The books can be accessed through Glose on any web browser and through the Glose app on Android and iOS devices. The service has limitations, but it offers social to the books by creating annotations and footnotes that other people can view or comment upon that are reading the book at the same time you are. Terry hasn’t played around with it very much but will be looking into it. Some of these unique books are only available through this service.
Terry refers to the interview with Dayton and Kevin and refers to the Star Trek: Legacies trilogy with their book coming out in September. Mike talks about Kevin and Dayton being asked to speak at NASA last year. This year the Linda Hall Library in Kansas City has asked them to come and talk about Star Trek and the 50th Anniversary on Saturday May 14th. Nick and Janet talk about the odd weather they have been experiencing on the East Coast for a moment before returning to Book News. The Star Trek Book: Strange New Worlds Boldly Explained is coming out in June. Mike talks about Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Live By The Code by Christopher L. Bennett and is currently available. He loves the cover which features an Andorian ship and a pair of Klingon Birds of Prey and was designed by Doug Drexler.
They move onto Product News next. Terry is pleased to see that MAC has released some Star Trek-inspired make-up. It will be revealed at San Diego Comic Con, but it won’t get released until after STLV. The TNG and TOS Blu-Ray sets are coming out in June. Terry has been waiting for this. The DVD sets will still be available. Mike confirms that these are the remastered episodes. Mike touches upon the Star Trek White Noise Machine. It was an April Fools joke, but a lot of fans wanted it to be real. Mike thought that it would have ended up being too complex in order to make. Mike shares the story of where he found the Spock Rubber Duckie. He had found it while looking for April Fools pranks. It’s on Amazon and available to buy, but he’s not sure if its real or not.
Next is Unofficial Productions. Nick praises Janet for her blog. After some meandering around toys and Harry Potter, they eventually start talking Janet’s post addressing Axanar’s response. Nick wrote a script this week about a Canadian super hero with longevity and claws, coincidentally named Wolverine. Each aspect of the character is not copyrightable so he thinks he should be okay. Allen jumps on the bandwagon. He suggests the true fans of Axanar should hold their own Kickstarter to produce the best Axanar film ever. They will use the funds to build a studio to make G I Joe knockoff films, take salaries, write books, travel the world, and start up our own convention.
Janet finally gets around to the Second Motion to Dismiss. She wrote roughly 11,000 words on the two documents. The first post is already available and the second will be out on April 5th. She starts about some of the claims that carried over from the first motion. She gives everyone a quiz about some lesser known characters that illustrates that even some minor characters have contributed to and have been recognized as having appeared in Star Trek. She goes over some of the characters that the document names as being generic and unremarkable and shouldn’t be covered by copyright, including Garth of Izar and Soval. She offers a character from Enterprise (E. Hamboyan) who could be considered uncopyrightable, but many of those that she mentions from the document most certainly should be covered by copyright. They discuss many of the other characters and their role in Trek in the shows, movies, games, books, and other formats.
The chatroom reported some issues with the streaming. Mike states that the signal going out is strong but people have been having issues receiving the stream. He starts monitoring the stream a little more closely, while they continue discussing the Motion to Dismiss. The individual components aren’t as important as they are when everything is looked at as a whole. They go over some of those details. Then, they move on to talk about what it makes a Vulcan and more specifically Nosferatu. Janet asks everyone in the room to describe an attribute of a Vulcan. They come up with dozens in a matter of moments and none of them had anything to do with their ears. The ears are not the only thing that makes a Vulcan a Vulcan, but it is one of their features.
Janet wants to make one more point before moving on to another topic. She talks about phasers and how the document compares them to the beams used in War of the Worlds. Janet reads a portion of the novel on the air that describes the weapons the aliens used in the book. The conclusion is that they do not sound like anything at all like phasers. They could go on, but they decide to start winding down the topic. Terry describes it as a valiant attempt to keep the case stalled. She thinks they are stalling to do something, perhaps seeking investors to off-load expenses so they can keep the studio. For all of the details on the Motion to Dismiss, check out Janet’s blog posts on it.
Terry talks about Disney suing people for infringement. They have sued nursery schools for painting Disney characters on their walls. Mike points out that they are also suing a costume company that provides costumed people to attend parties and providing the costumes for rent for IP Infringement.
Once the case gets to discovery stage, a lot of proof will be provided. CBS is pushing for a jury trial and Axanar is trying their best to settle the case. May 9th will be their scheduling conference, but it will also be when this motion will be heard. CBS still has an opportunity to oppose this motion, but they are on a deadline if they decide to do that. They don’t think the judge will allow them to file a new motion to dismiss. If CBS/P decides to file an opposition, Axanar will still have an opportunity to reply to the Op. The next blog post comes out on the 5th. Be sure to check it out. Janet will respond to any questions or comments when she gets a chance. Before moving on, she points everyone to a couple of interviews with Alec Peters and Robert Meyer Burnett, respectively.
They move on to this week’s 50 for 50. This week they discuss DS9’s In Purgatory’s Shadow and By Inferno’s Light. Allen summarizes both episodes. It was the first time a pair of back to back episodes from a show has appeared together. They discuss the series; the characters of Dukat, Garek, and many others; the Dominion War; as well as so many different aspects. Don’t miss this discussion. After some in-depth discussion and analysis, they announce what episodes will be discussed for their next 50 for 50 in a couple of weeks. Allen and Nick won’t be here next week, which is why there will be no 50 for 50 next week. However, when they return they will be discussing #18 DS9’s The Siege of AR558 and #17 TNG’s Measure of a Man.
Winding down the show with announcements, Nick reveals that next weekend, he will not be on the show because he will be getting married. They send their congratulations. Janet wants to know the details, but they decide to discuss it later. He’s registered with Spencer’s. Mike has some other announcements. The O Sports Show should have recorded their first episode yesterday and should be premiering their first episode soon. Gates of Sto’vo’kor and Blood of Nei’rrh have posted some new character concept art for Deyvid and Tamok. Also, the interview with Kevin and Dayton as well as Janet’s full analysis of the Motion to Dismiss have been posted to the G & T Show website. Check those out. Janet graduates on May 14th. Allen and Nick will be launching a Kickstarter for their Axanar fan film and Spock of Ages. Terry will be in Chicago hanging with Jen Usellis and Andrew Wonders. There may be a Supplemental Log from it. Mike wants Jen to sing. And with that they finish up this week’s show.
- The O Sports Show – http://www.osportsshow.com
- Gates of Sto’vo’kor introduces new character concept art for Deyvid – http://www.gatesofstovokor.com/?p=1193
- Blood of the Nei’rrh introduces new character concept art for Tamok – http://www.bonromshow.com/character-art-tamok/
- G & T Show SL – Ward Dilmore Update – http://www.gandtshow.com/g-t-show-sl-ward-dilmore-update/
- Axanar Second Defense Motion to Dismiss – http://www.gandtshow.com/axanar-second-defense-motion-dismiss/
- Alec Peters interview (Part 1, Part 2 is not out yet): The Trekzone Spotlight with Alec Peters
- Robert Meyer Burnett interview: Episode 22: Star Trek Axanar – Robert Burnett, Part II from Blind Panels
- First Official Photo From Star Trek Beyond Released – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/first-official-photo-from-star-trek-beyond-released/
- One More Star Trek Beyond Image Emerges From Sets, hints at scenes Revisited in March Reshoots – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/one-more-star-trek-beyond-image-emerges-from-the-sets-hints-at-scenes-revisited-in-march-reshoots/
- What Nicholas Meyer’s Writing Means for the new Star Trek series – http://moviepilot.com/posts/3833683
- MAC Introduces Trek-Inspired Makeup Collection – http://www.startrek.com/article/macs-trek-inspired-makeup-collection
- Complete TOS & TNG Blu-ray Sets Coming In June – http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/31/complete-tos-tng-blu-ray-sets/
- ThinkGeek April Fools Product – Star Trek White Noise Sleep Machine – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ivmt/?pfm=HP_FeaturedProducts_3_ivmt
- Amazon: CelebriDucks Mr. Squawk Rubber Duck Costume Quacker Bath Toy – http://amzn.to/1Y7v8tA
- Star Trek Online: New Visual Slots for Starships – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9888133
- Star Trek Online: April Fools! New Playable Species – Horta – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9890613-star-trek-online:-new-playable-species-horta
- Star Trek Timelines: They Came From The Holodeck Event is Live – It ends Monday April 4th – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/star-trek-timelines-in-they-came-from-the-holodeck
- Shatner’s ‘Son’ Sues Actor for $170M – http://1701news.com/node/1103/shatners-son-sues-actor-170m.html
- Is Star Trek: The Experience Finally Returning to Vegas? – http://1701news.com/node/1111/star-trek-experience-finally-returning-vegas.html
- April Fools – National Air and Space Museum Announces Tribble Breeding Program with Live Stream – http://www.startrek.com/article/national-air-and-space-museum-announces-tribble-breeding-program
- The Original Series Publicity Photos – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-original-series-publicity-photos
- Pocket Offering 700-Plus Trek eBooks free of DRM through a partnership with Glose.com – http://www.startrek.com/article/pocket-offering-700-plus-trek-ebooks
- com, Ebook Deals for .99 Cents – http://www.startrekbooks.com/#books
- The Fog of Ward – Babbling again … this time in front of actual smart people – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/babbling-again-this-time-in-front-of-actual-smart-people/
- To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before – The Star Trek book Celebrates 50 Years of Trek – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-star-trek-book-celebrates-50-years-of-trek
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Live by the Code Preview – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/03/live-by-code-preview.html
- Star Trek 50 Artists 50 Years Hardcover book – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-50-artists-50-years-hardcover-book/detail.php?p=991252&v=startrek_50th-anniversary
- Roddenberry Adventures. Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds VIP Tour will visit the EMP Museum in May – http://www.roddenberryadventures.com/events/star-trek-exploring-new-worlds-vip-tour/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- Press Release – Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Star Trek: The Klingon Empire - May 23, 2017
- G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens - May 21, 2017
- Star Trek Cats And The Cat Pun Meme Contest - May 18, 2017