G & T Show 206 – DS9: Revisited
G & T Show 206 – DS9: Revisited is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, and Mike are back with a new show discussing the latest news from all across the Star Trek Universe. They’ve got General News, the latest headlines from the upcoming film, the lastest kickstarter fan productions, gaming news, book news, products news, and so much more. They even have time for a group discussion of Deep Space Nine prompted by Mike’s latest rewatch and an article discussing the 10 reasons why DS9 is the greatest Trek series ever. Check out this enlightening episode of the G & T Show.
They start off this week’s show with introductions before getting into this week’s Coffee Klatch. They talk about weather for a minute. Mike has been living on the edge of crazy this week and hasn’t gotten much accomplished. Nick also had a hard week and is also living on the edge of crazy. Terry has taken been busy at work, since some people took some time off and they are currently between seasons in her industry. Nick points out that Jackie Collins died this week. Allen has friends from Minnesota visiting and are attending the Renaissance Faire in Santa Fe and are participating in their first Highland games. They talk about New Mexico Ren Faires. She’s going to have breakfast with them before they head back home.
Nick and Janice went to Hartford Comicon this weekend. They met BJ Britt from Agents of SHIELD. He tells us about Hartford Comicon. He wasn’t pleased with their set up and thought the test of strength attraction was misplaced. He shares his thoughts and experiences with it. It was deceptive for its size, but there was a lot in it. There was even a playboy playmate in attendance. He shares some of the cosplay they saw. Janice dressed as Poison Ivy.
Janice asked through Nick, if the photos from Shoreleave have been posted. Mike confirms that they should be online. Terry moves then on to the first bit of Star Trek News, starting with the biggest piece revolving around the new movie. They pushed back the release date by two weeks, which puts it a week and a half before the start of STLV 2016. Some theories suggest that the decision was made because of the films coming out that same week (The Secret Life of Pets) and (Ghostbusters) the week after, in favor of what could be viewed as a better outing up against King Arthur, followed by the new Bourne film. However, Terry and Mike both agreed that the decision probably had more to do with time, giving the production a couple extra weeks to get it finished. They discuss some of the additional possibilities. No one wants to see the film delayed until December when it will go against Star Wars.
They ride the Star Wars squirrel to talk about Star Wars merchandise. Mike mentions the remote controlled R2-D2 minifridge. Terry mentions that they even painted a plane to look like R2-D2. Terry is jealous. Star Wars fans are in heaven. She mentions the BB8 touring Disneyland. Mike mentions the BB8 races that he had seen. So much fun. Nick mentions that he had seen a lot of Star Wars stuff at the convention, but he didn’t see any figures. Terry thinks they will probably come out before the holidays. Mike mentions the figures came out with Force Friday, but they sold out so quickly. Nick talks about some of the retro toys he saw at the convention. They talk about it for a few minutes.
Moving onto Star Trek products, Terry talks about the recent article on Star Trek.com discussing Colorforms. Nick mentions Shrinky Dinks. They talk about both classic toys. The discussion returns to colorforms, which came out 40 years ago. Colorforms are plastic stickers that get placed onto scenes to tell new stories. Nick compares it to comics.
Terry moves back to news with the discussion of Nichelle Nichols and her recent NASA’s SOPHIA mission. She congratulates her for her participation. Nichols is a great ambassador for NASA.
Returning to products, Terry talks about some of the products We Love Fine has to offer, including a Klingon denim jacket, a new Cardigan, and the Cruising the Galaxy Hawaiian Shirt, among others. Mike isn’t able to translate the klingon text on the denim jacket, but jokes that it says, Klingon Biker gang, which prompts Terry to wonder if some people will think that it is gang related — there are some places that won’t allow people to enter if they are wearing “colors”. She goes on to talk about the Hawaiian shirt and mentions Zero and her Hawaiian shirts.
They talk about the new mobile game. Mike has tried it out briefly. Star Trek: The Wrath of Gems is available on Android and iOS. He describes the game as one part Bejeweled and one part Magic: the Gathering. He was getting through the tutorial, when his phone (which is not quite a tablet, not quite a phone) crashed. He thought it was fun. There’s a story and a competitive aspect, as well as TOS and TNG with different stories for each. The story aspect is laid out like a comic book. The Bejeweled part of the game is how battle and skills are handled. Match the jewels and the result is played out. For instance, he explains that if three red gems are matched, a torpedo attack is launched; match three delta gems and a heal is applied. There’s strategy involved in not only how the matching game works, but in also how it plays out in card game / battle portion of it. He thought it was a unique take on it and recommends people check it out.
Terry moves on to talk about Jennifer Lien’s arrest. She was arrested for exposing herself to minors. Terry talks about mental health and drug issues. They acknowledge the news but are not pleased with how it’s being reported and commented on by the general public. Terry wants to see people with mental health and drug issues should be treated.
Next talks about Nissan. They posted something on Facebook this week and someone trolling the post said something about Klingons. In a true demonstration of their Geek cred, Nissan responded to the commenter in Klingon. Mike won’t attempt to read the actual comment, but offers the translation. They had fun with it. The ad traveled the universe because it was so nerdy. They praised Nissan for their efforts.
Last week, they didn’t get the chance to talk about it last week, so they are making sure to mention it this week. The Smithsonian is restoring the original filming model of the starship Enterprise. They have put out a call for people with pictures of the ship to contact them and share their photos in order to help them with their restoration process. Mike clarifies that they are looking for photos specifically of the side of the ship that was often not seen on television, since they have access to all of the film images already. They can be reached at [email protected]
Nick reminds everyone that Emmy’s are tonight. He’s glad Orphan Black was finally nominated this year and hopes they win.
They move onto Fan Productions. Mike starts them off with the big news coming out of Renegades this week. They’re going to be launching their next kickstarter soon. But they have announced that Terry Ferrel will be making an appearance in the next episode as a Renegade. Also, Michael Westmore will be joining the production as head of their make up department and will bringing the best of the best from FaceOff with him. Terry thinks its a brilliant move. These young people will be gaining some valuable experience and will be solving the problem that the production had with its make up in the first episode. They are excited to see what they can do now with these new developments. Terry was worried that they were going to hang it up, but is pleased to see them hang in there and actually take their criticism and work to resolve it.
The Red Shirt Diaries have released the first episode of their second season: The Menagerie Part 1. Mike described it as fun and recommends everyone check it out. He moves on to Pacific 201’s Kickstarter next. They have reached their funding goal of $20,000. They send them congratulations. Next, Mike talks about the Chief O’Brien at work comics. The artist has compiled them and plans to release a Graphic Novel. He has launched a Kickstarter. With three days remaining, they have reached and surpassed their initial goal of $15,000 and are sitting at more than $45,000. They talk about the comic as well as the character of Chief Miles O’Brien. Finally, Mike quickly returns to Pacific 201 and the news that they released Teaser #3. It’s a beautiful show, but they don’t know a lot about the story.
Terry moves them along to Gaming News. Disruptor Beam has revealed two new variants of two iconic Star Trek characters. First up is Ensign Tuvok and Lieutenant Tuvok. Mike contacted them over twitter this week, asking if there will be limitations to the number of characters that we will have. He also asked if they are planning to sell additional character slots. Although they did not respond to the second question, they did say that there will be limitations to the number of characters that a player will be able to have and that number has yet to be determined. They second pair of characters announced is Lieutenant Sulu and Fencing Sulu. Mike and Terry want Captain Sulu to go with Ensign Tuvok.
Terry moves them into Star Trek Online News with the recent Tales from the War story that features Karagan and Tom Paris. In the story, the Klingon is writing letters to the families of fallen Starfleet Officers and the differences toward death that the two cultures have. It was a wonderful story. Terry wonders who wrote this story. Mike mentions that they take turns and that the writer is usually credited at the bottom. For this one, Laughing Trendy is listed so either she wrote the story, or it was one that Christine had written before leaving Cryptic. They loved the story and discuss it.
More STO news relates to it being the secondary target of a DDOS attack on Champions, which released a new update this week. The individual responsible for the attack has claimed responsibility. Their attack has impacted all of Cryptic’s games. She hopes they track him down and bring him to justice for what he’s doing. Mike didn’t realize that there were multiple attacks. One would conclude and soon after, another would begin.
Nick mentions that October 13th is Beverley Crusher’s birthday and has since been dubbed Beverley Crusher Day. Gates McFadden supports the effort. She’s interactive with her fans.
Mike points out one more bit of STO news that came out. Cryptic is revamping the Cardassian Arc. He clarifies that it is not the Dominion arc, but the ten to twelve episodes that come before it. Terry mentions that they are losing Jonathan Riker in the revamp. Nick mentions some of the obscure cosplay he saw at the convention that someone in the chat room reminded him about. Capt. Beardface was one of the people that told her about Riker’s removal. Because she sent Capt. Beardface a shout out, Nick sends his own shout out to Lisa Marie. They then discuss how Riker’s removal from the game would be like, including a call back to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck portrayed by Zero and Tumor boy with erasers and pencils. Mike mentions that the previous Cardassian Arc was actually a Cardassian Arc and a Mirror Universe Arc combined, and wonders which way the story will go now.
Nick asks a few questions about some Star Trek characters and what they would be like in the Mirror Universe, including: Shinzon and Lore. They spend a few minutes trying to figure out Mirror Universe Lore. Terry likes Mirror Universe Picard, who is more like Vasch in the Mirror Universe. Terry thought the Mirror Universe Riker was a dick. Nick draws a parallel to all of Trek’s Universes to the DC multiverse. He takes a moment trying to figure out how many different universes are in Trek.
Terry asks about the G & T Show surveys. The TOS poll is closed, but they need more data for the other series, especially DS9 and Voyager.
Moving on to Book News, they talk about James Swallow’s new book: Star Trek: Titan: Sight Unseen. She’s looking forward to it, but hopes that he will remain an Admiral. Nick asks if given a choice, would Riker shave the beard in order to remain an Admiral. Terry thinks he would shave. Terry likes Riker’s character and the challenges he faces as an Admiral. He’s a fish out of water. She’s really enjoying it. She hasn’t gotten a copy of it yet, but it has been seen in the wild at Forbidden Planet bookstores. Terry tells people that Amazon automatically defaults to the Kindle version rather than the book version. There are some books that she wants tangible copies and Titan books are some of them. Seekers and anything by David Mack are others. Seekers 3 is out now and 4 is on deck. Dayton tweeted about a new reader that is currently reading the Titan books. Terry has been speaking with TheNeedsOfMany and they have been enjoying talking about Titan and Riker.
Terry mentions that her husband Allen, has read The Martian in three days and he’s doesn’t read a lot of books. She goes on to mention that they have several autographed cover posters of the Star Trek: Costumes book written by Terry Erdmann and Paula M. Block. If you want a copy, just send us a message or post on our forums.
Terry allows Mike to pick their topic of discussion for the rest of the show. After some consideration, he chooses to discuss the article on DS9 and the ten reasons it’s the greatest Star Trek show, since he’s currently rewatching DS9. They discuss the article, point by point, talking about what they got right, got wrong, and trying to figure out what the author was thinking. Check out the article and listen to their discussion.
During the discussion, Terry mentions the article How Star Trek Explains the Decline of Liberalism. They discuss the article briefly and its comparison of the Original Series to the new films and the journey Star Trek has taken to get there. They don’t necessarily agree and use it to make a point regarding their DS9 discussion about the action it possessed.
They experience some technical difficulties and suffer some skyping during their discussion. It eventually clears up, but please bear with them during the difficulties.
After their lengthy discussion about Deep Space Nine, they move on to this week’s announcements. They are planning their 24 hours of G & T, which will actually be 25 hours long because of Daylight Savings Time. It will be held on October 31st at noon eastern and will conclude at noon eastern on November 1st. The Star Trek surveys are still ongoing. They need more data and ask everyone to take the surveys and share them. Finally, Mike reveals that he’s going to close the Karaoke contest and this is your last chance to send in your videos. Also, if you have questions for Dayton Ward, send them to us and we’ll ask him on the show. Seekers 4 is coming out soon. Sight Unseen is out now-ish. Get them. With that, they wind up this week’s show.
- Pacific 201 Kickstarter – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/echenry/pacific-201
- The Red Shirt Diaries: The Menagerie Part 1 (Season 2 Premiere) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVi5kIzvwI
- Pacific 201 Teaser 3 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-64vZn_w-9A&feature=youtu.be
- Chief O’Brien At Work Graphic Novel – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1439753165/chief-obrien-at-work-graphic-novel
STAR TREK NEWS
- CNN – Trekkers: The Enterprise Needs You – http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/entertainment/star-trek-enterprise-air-space-feat/index.html?sr=tw091015trekkersenterprise10pStoryGallPhoto
- Trekland’s Portal 47 – http://www.portal47.net/
- Star Trek: Voyager star charged with exposure – http://www.roanecounty.com/content/%E2%80%98star-trek-voyager%E2%80%99-star-charged-exposure
- Trekkie Response to Jennifer Lien’s Arrest Disappoints – http://www.gender-focus.com/2015/09/18/trekkie-response-to-jennifer-liens-arrest-disappoints/
- Nissan replies to Facebook user’s snide comment in Klingon – http://nerdreactor.com/2015/09/17/nissan-facebook-users-klingon/#K1XHjfYsi48dRXI5.01
- Star Trek Fan Turns Basement into the Starship Enterprise – http://www.hypercoolstuff.com/star-trek-fan-turns-basement-into-the-starship-enterprise/
- Lieutenant Uhura is boarding NASA’s Airplane Observatory – http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a17340/lieutenant-uhura-is-boarding-nasas-telescope-plane-today/
- How Star Trek Explains the Decline of Liberalism – http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/15/how-star-trek-explains-the-decline-of-liberalism/
- Trek Class Registration Is Now Open – http://www.startrek.com/article/trekclass-starts-sept-21-and-its-free-so-register-now
- Nichelle Nichols Out of this world Trek Tweets and Pics – http://www.startrek.com/article/nichelle-nichols-out-of-this-world-trek-in-tweets-and-pics
- Star Trek: Timelines – Security Chief Tuvok – https://disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/security-chief-tuvok-in-timelines
- Star Trek: Timelines – Ensign Tuvok – https://disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/ensign-tuvok-in-timelines
- Star Trek Online – Tales of the War #22 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9551673
- Star Trek: Timelines – Lieutenant Sulu and Fencing Sulu – http://www.startrek.com/article/twice-the-sulu-in-star-trek-timelines
- Star Trek: Wrath of Gems – The Game On Every Trekkies’ Must Try List – http://tech.co/star-trek-wrath-gems-game-every-trekkies-must-try-list-2015-09
- STO’s Cardassian Revamp – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9553363-star-trek-online%3A-cardassian-revamp-episode-1
- Why Captain Kirk is still one of the greatest space heroes of all time – http://io9.com/why-captain-kirk-is-still-one-of-the-greatest-space-her-1731054520
- 18 Star Trek Screen Projects that never happened – http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-trek/249167/18-star-trek-screen-projects-that-never-happened
- 10 reason why DS9 is the undisputed king of the Star Trek Series – http://entertain-o-rama.com/10-reasons-why-deep-space-nine-is-the-undisputed-king-of-the-star-trek-series-1/
- Twitter – Capt. Beardface @TripleDaddy – https://twitter.com/TripleDaddy
- Star Trek Beyond Beams to July 22, 2016 – http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/09/star-trek-beyond-beams-to-july-22-2016/
- Star Trek Beyond release date pushed back 2 weeks – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQzoS0j9xEY
- Star Trek Beyond Release Date – http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/17/star-trek-beyond-release-date
- Creation Entertainment’s Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary – http://www.creationent.com/ST50/index.html
- Twitter – James Swalllow’s New Book – Star Trek: Titan: Sight Unseen has been seen in the wild – https://twitter.com/jmswallow/status/645328771483045888?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&sig=129148e02a5aecd8fa591cc5b22262164fc2adfe&al=1&refsrc=email&iid=f5c2d9254de748f68147060daa13d160&autoactions=1442700006&uid=2996339534&nid=244+1489
- We love Fine Shop – http://www.welovefine.com/feature/star-trek.html
- Star Trek Colorforms – http://www.startrek.com/article/40-years-ago-star-trek-and-colorforms
- Cruising the Galaxy Hawaiian Shirt – http://www.welovefine.com/cruisingthegalaxy-9373.html
- Star Trek Costumes Cover Poster Giveaway – http://www.gandtshow.com/forums/index.php/topic,1220.0.html
- G & T Show’s Rank Your Favorite Star Trek Episodes – http://www.gandtshow.com/rank-your-favorite-star-trek-episodes/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 295 – Discovering Orville: Depth of Storytelling - September 24, 2017
- G & T Show 294 – Television’s Old Busted vs New Hotness - September 17, 2017
- G & T Show 293 – The Jazz Man Cometh, Baby - September 10, 2017