G & T Show 209 – It’s A Strange New World After All
G & T Show 209 – It’s A Strange New World After All is now available for downloading. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, and Mike have returned for another episode of the G & T Show. This week, they discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Universe. They discuss General News, the latest products and books, gaming headlines, technology news, and the latest rumblings with Unofficial Productions. With so much crammed into this week’s episode, you don’t want to miss a moment of it.
After introductions, they jump right into it with this week’s Coffee Klatch. Mike starts off by telling about what he’s been doing. He’s played mobile games as well as finished Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise) and has started reading Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel. He talks about the books as well as the other Enterprise books he’s read recently. He’s been playing Trexels and Wrath of Gems on mobile.
Nick has finished reading the Autobiography of Bob Backlund, Backlund: From All-American Boy to Professional Wrestling’s World Champion. He talks about Backlund briefly and what he found the most interesting in the book. He’s now reading Felicia Day’s autobiography, You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost): A Memoir. He’s also worked this week and has been busy with it.
Mike points out that Terry has been reading something interesting. Before getting to it, she talked about her week at work and the conference she’s been involved with. When she returned from the conference, there were several packages with books waiting for her. She started with Dayton Ward’s Armageddon’s Arrow (Star Trek: The Next Generation). She talks about it and compares it to eating a Snicker’s Bar. She praises the Tie-In writer’s ability to reference episodes, even after all this time.
She, then, mentions the James Swallow book: Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan), which has been sitting on her desk, calling to her. She decide to read the first couple of pages and discovered the USS Whitetree, while commanded by Captain Minecci with Chief Medeiros in Engineering, and Doctor Shull down in sickbay, is lost. They think they’re all dead, but no one knows yet. They thank James Swallow for thinking of them and including them in your book. Terry reads an excerpt from the book’s acknowledgements, which included a thank you to the G & T Show. Terry talks about Riker in the book and praises James for his skill writing the crew of Titan.
Nick shifts gears to this week’s television premieres. He starts off discussing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Flash, and Arrow. Mike watched them, but was playing LEGO Dimensions. Mike talks about the game and how much fun he’s having playing it. Nick mentions that he and Janice have been playing a lot of Champions. He talks about some of the fun they have had. Nick has binged watched Young Justice: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray] after finishing Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series (BD)(MOD) [Blu-ray]. He talks about some of the highlights from the series for him. He watched it on Netflix, but was disappointed that they did not have Young Justice: The Complete Second Season. They take a minute to talk about some of the changes Netflix has been making including their price increase. The reviews coming out of New York Comic Con about Jessica Jones has been great. They talk about Daredevil Orphan Black being snubbed respectively at the Emmy’s.
They move onto this week’s Star Trek News. Terry begins with the NSFW link Mike came across this week for The Best Little Porno Movie on the Internet. They discuss the article and the photos. Terry was surprised that there were photos on Gizmodo. Next, they discuss the easter eggs that appeared in Doctor Who’s episode: Under the Lake. The Galileo Shuttlecraft and where it is now sparked a bit of debate, as they tried to figure out if the Galileo’s refurbishment was still in progress or whether it was complete and already on display at the NASA visitor’s center. Either way, it was a fascinating article talking about the shuttlecraft. Another old link, Mike came across this week that he thought was interesting was about a Canadian sent a weather balloon with an Enterprise model attached to it to the edge of space.
Moving on to Product News, Terry starts them off with the Klingon Bathroom. She points out that the Baldric is pointing in the wrong direction. They think the picture may have been reversed. Regardless, it still looks good. Next, Terry talks about the Star Trek: The Original Series – The Complete Series, which features the entire TOS series along with all of the special features in one shelf-friendly packaging. It’s a great deal. Then, they discuss the recent announcement coming out the Starship Collection. Sean Tourangeau has successfully reached his petition’s goal of 5000 and the USS Titan will be added to the collection. It’s a great addition because it established a precedent of possibly seeing more ships from the books and even STO added to the collection. They want the Vesta and the Odyssey added to the collection. Anovos is making the Captain Picard jacket. Terry reads off some of the features of the jacket. It looks so good, but it may be expensive. Nick wants it in the movie colors. Next, they discuss the Megabloks Enterprise. It is some of the most detailed block models that they have seen. It may not be LEGO, but it’s a lot better than the Kreo, that we got for the new films. The action figures even look more robust. Mike likes the Klingon ship and the Transporter room, but he was confused about the live-sized Captain’s chair. It’s a display MegaBlok created for NYCC.
They move on to Book News. They begin with Terry Erdmann and Paula Block’s Star Trek: Costumes: Five Decades of Fashion from the Final Frontier. It is out right now. Terry has already received her copy. She tells us about her first impressions of the book. She thought it goes hand in hand with the Marc Cushman books These Are the Voyages. They still have the autographed posters of the book’s cover. Email them or post your desire for one on the G & T Show forums. Nick does his Buck Buckai Rookie Card voice to advertise the giveaway. Mike wants Buck Buckai Rookie Cards made.
Moving along to other book news, they discuss the big announcement that came out this week regarding the return of the Strange New Worlds short story contest. Terry shares her memories when she first came across the collection and her regret that she couldn’t submit a story because they had discontinued the contest. Dayton, Kevin, and James got their start as Trek writers because of Strange New Worlds. They are pleased to see that the contest has returned. Terry goes over some of the rules, and urges people to read them, follow them, and don’t try to break them, because it’s a test. Terry is planning to submit a story for it and urges everyone to give it a try. She thanks CBS and Simon and Schuester for bringing it back. Mike is unsure if he will be participating, since he’s having some confidence issues at the moment. He’s been having several ideas, but nothing has grabbed him yet. He may end up spending NANOWriMO, writing several Star Trek short stories and then have a group of BETA readers help him choose which story to submit. The contest ends in January. Terry hopes Nick will submit a story.
They move on to gaming news next. Beginning with Star Trek: Timelines, Terry asks if Mike is on NDA yet. Mike explains that Timelines has posted if people were wanting to be Beta Players but had not gotten in game. He has sent in the NDA, but has not gotten his invitation yet. He promises, though, when he does, he will only discuss what they have released publicly about the game. With that said, he moves on to the reveals that came out this week. On Facebook, images of Voyager’s EMH, the Doctor was made available. Also, a William Riker was released. They discuss some possible Riker variants, including the full Riker. They spend a few minutes discussing how tall Riker is and how he had to make up for the differences in his height with those of his fellow actors. Finally, Mike mentions the new video they released discussing the USS Voyager, its variants, and the differences between them and the Intrepid class ships that will be available in game.
Moving onto Star Trek Online News, the big announcement for the week, is that all of Perfect World games, sites, and services will be down for most of the day on Tuesday for maintenance. Terry says the same thing is happening to Turbine on the same day. Mike thinks if there’s some kind of datacenter upgrade going on. Perhaps, installing something to prevent some future attacks. Next, Nick asked about the Galactic Restoration event that is going on right now in game. This event offers weekly rewards for the tasks performed the previous week, including fleet projects and doff missions. Season 11 is on the horizon, though no date has been made publicly. Terry talks to Nick about his upgrading progress. Terry needs to increase her R & D to craft more stuff for upgrades. Mike chimes in that Superiors are all that are needed, since the Experimental upgrades are not really worth the effort. He focuses on the Superiors. Mike offers to craft some more of them for her. Nick talks about playing Champions with Janice and some of the fun they have.
They send shout outs to their fellow podcasters joining them in the chat room. Nick sends one to Lisa Marie. Its suggested that the chat room needs a Scottish font and a deep, smooth voice font for some of their friends.
Terry shares a story she wrote that won’t be appearing in Strange New Worlds, where a character has his first real steak. Afterwards, Terry and Nick talks about Aron Eisenberg’s progress. They haven’t heard anything but they have received an invitation for his photography studio.
Terry shares a link with a headline that made her laugh about Benecio Del Toro not having any regrets about losing the role to Cumberbatch in Star Trek. She then moves on a bit of new technology that came out this week. PolyCom announced Centro. It’s a video conferencing tool that appears Star Trek-like. They talk about it. Terry has several ways she can use it. She then announces that the new Ships of the Line Calendar is now available. The Captain Picardigan is still available.
Terry talks about an article about TPP and that asks the question regarding whether CosPlay is now Illegal. They discuss it and go over a lot of the issues around it. It potentially can cause issues for cosplay, fan art, and fan productions. The general rule that you don’t make money from someone else’s IP is the golden rule for this new law. Terry says it probably won’t change anything for people in the US, but it now allows access to the same laws the US has on Intellectual Property to other countries. Most big companies won’t care about cosplayers, but some companies, like Nintendo will step forward to stop anyone that makes money from their properties, including a Pokemon party they stopped at PAX. They talk about the idea of licensing as applied to cosplaying and how unrealistic the idea is. Mike shares a picture of Jen Uselis in her new Klingon Pop Warrior CosPlay costume.
They move on to Unofficial Productions. Fifth Passenger isn’t a Star Trek fan film, but it has a bunch of Star Trek actors in it, including Armin Shimmerman among others. They are raising money to for visual effects. Star Trek: Horizon has released their second official trailer for their film. Terry is amazed by it, especially considering that it’s one person creating the entire film. Next, Mike talks about an article that he came across about Star Trek: Reliant. Mike had not heard about them, so he shared it. He found the relevant story idea behind their latest episode to be interesting. Next, he mentioned the Kickstarter for the new Animated series, done in the style of Johnny Quest. Most of the film is completed, but they need a little more help to get it there. Terry like the animation style. For Renegades, the big announcement this week is Cirroc Lofton has joined the cast. They wonder who he will be playing. They offer some ideas. Mike hopes he will be Jake and will be an embedded journalist and then eventually becomes a willing participant. Then, Nick remembers the Valiant. Terry mentions that Axanar announced that the costume designer, Robert Blackman will be helping the production. Star Trek: Continues most recent episode is out now.
Nick mentions a mythcreants article he came across about how to make your villain threatening. Terry thinks its appropriate for anyone undertaking the Strange New Worlds contest, but it applies to all forms of writing.
Mike mentions Red Shirt Diaries and shares the link to their YouTube channel. New episodes come out on Monday, and as of this recording, the new episode hasn’t been released yet. They’re so much fun. Paul and Johnny Snowball in the chat room share a couple of trailers for their upcoming Starbase UGC featured episode series Photonomy. Terry talks about Foundry briefly and suggests everyone check out the videos in our chatroom.
They move onto announcements. Starting with 24 hours of G & T, their event is going to be huge. Terry talks about last week’s interview with David A. Goodman. Terry asks people for Ask Dayton questions. Mike suggests people trying to give him shit, so they can be entertained. Strange New Worlds is going on right now until January. They are excited and terrified. Terry once again mentions the autographed Star Trek: Costumes cover posters they have to giveaway. Nick mentions the cardboard cut out from the film Major League and says that they should do that for their 24 hours of G & T event. Sun in the chatroom asked about our surveys. They have been extended one more week. They need a few more Voyager surveys to make the poll as scientifically accurate as possible. Share the surveys to help us. They send thanks and shout outs to James Swallow for thinking of them and including them in his novel. Mike threatens to include a shout out to James in one of the stories he will write for Strange New Worlds. And with that, this week’s show concludes.
• G & T Show’s Star Trek Episode Surveys – We Need more Voyager Surveys – http://www.gandtshow.com/rank-your-favorite-star-trek-episodes/
• The Best Little Porno Movie on the Internet (VERY NSFW) – http://gizmodo.com/the-best-little-porno-movie-on-the-internet-very-nsfw-1734350782
• Did you spot the Star Trek Easter Eggs in Doctor Who Under the Lake? – http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-05/did-you-spot-the-star-trek-easter-eggs-in-doctor-who-under-the-lake
• Star Trek’s Original “Galileo” Shuttlecraft – Where is it today? – http://www.thefederationtimes.com/star-treks-original-galileo-shuttlecraft-where-is-it-today
• Is Cosplay Illegal Now? What The TPP Means For Me. – http://nerdunion.us/2015/10/08/is-cosplay-illegal-now-what-the-tpp-means-for-me/
• Star Trek Spaceship Model Soars Into Stratosphere – http://www.universetoday.com/102213/star-trek-spaceship-model-soars-into-stratosphere/
• Benicio Del Toro has no regrets about being replaced by Cumberbatch in Star Trek – http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-08/benicio-del-toro-has-no-regrets-about-being-replaced-by-benedict-cumberbatch-in-star-trek
• Trek Fashion in Print: Talking Star Trek Costume with Authors Paula M. Block and Terry J. Erdmann – http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/10/star-trek-costumes-interview-paula-m-block-and-terry-j-erdmann/
• Dayton Ward – The Return of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds! – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/the-return-of-star-trek-strange-new-worlds/
• Star Trek Strange New Worlds Writing Contest – http://www.startrekbooks.com/contest_information/?mcd=z_151008_Site_CBS
• Mythcreants – How to Make Your Villain Threatening – http://mythcreants.com/blog/how-to-make-your-villain-threatening/
• Star Trek: Timelines: The Doctor – Facebook Photo – https://www.facebook.com/startrektimelines/photos/a.1460584770844057.1073741829.1447338755501992/1699515483617650/?type=3
• Star Trek: Timelines: William T. Riker – Facebook Photo – https://www.facebook.com/startrektimelines/photos/np.1444328366386515.1257760325/1700097396892792/?type=3&ref=notif¬if_t=notify_me_page
• Star Trek Online – Extended Platform Maintenance – October 13 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9587383
• Star Trek: Timelines USS Voyager Revealed – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTXYwN4Ns4U
• Star Trek Online – Galactic Restoration – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9588003
• Star Trek Online – Badlands Battlezone – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9590413
• Why Captain Kirk is Still One of the Greatest Space Heroes of All Time – http://io9.com/why-captain-kirk-is-still-one-of-the-greatest-space-her-1731054520
• Enterprise and the Early Days of the Star Trek Expanded Universe – http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-trek/249363/enterprise-and-the-early-days-of-the-star-trek-expanded-universe
• 10 things you might not know about Star Trek: Nemesis – http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/10/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-star.html
• 5th Passenger VFX Funding – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/5th-passenger-vfx-funding#/story
• Star Trek Horizon: Official Trailer #2 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZotCpkzXg
• Newfoundland Trekkies create their own Star Trek web series – http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/newfoundland-trekkies-create-web-series-star-trek-reliant-1.3246586
• Star Trek Animation Special TPM – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/serroc/star-trek-animation-special-tpm?ref=video
• Star Trek: Renegades – Cirroc Lofton joins Renegades – https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries/photos/a.514444175253647.122097.514118728619525/1049661261731933/?type=3
• Robert Blackman joining Axanar’s Costuming Department – http://www.axanarproductions.com/captains-log-october-5-8th-2015/
• Starbase UGC’s Featured Episode Series Photonomy Ad 2 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qMamG05eok
• Starbase UGC’s Featured Episode Series: Photonomy Ad – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFC4NORCouA
• The Red Shirt Diaries YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/Jawiin
• Starships Collection Updates – Titan passes 5000, latest previews, possible book, and more – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2015/10/starships-collection-updates-titan.html
• Klingon Bathrobe Now Available – http://www.startrek.com/article/klingon-bathrobe-now-available
• Make It So with Your Own Captain Picard Jacket – http://news.entertainmentearth.com/2015/01/30/anovos-star-trek-next-generation-captain-picard-jacket/
• Mega Bloks Star Trek Collector Construction Sets – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-mega-bloks-star-trek-collector-construction-sets
• First Mega Bloks Star Trek construction sets revealed – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2015/10/first-mega-bloks-star-trek-construction.html
• TOS Complete Series Mega Pack Available November 3rd – http://www.startrek.com/article/tos-complete-series-megapack-available-november-3
• Star Trek 2016 Ships of the Line Calendar – http://www.startrek.com/article/available-now-star-trek-2016-calendars
• AI Machine Has Same IQ As Four Year Old Child – http://www.iflscience.com/technology/ai-has-same-iq-four-year-old-child
• Polycom Announces Centro a Video Solution – http://www.networkworld.com/article/2990806/cisco-subnet/polycom-announces-centro-a-video-solution-worthy-of-star-trek.html
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 280 – All Access to BLB Audio Productions Cereal - May 28, 2017
- Press Release – Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Star Trek: The Klingon Empire - May 23, 2017
- G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens - May 21, 2017