G & T Show 213 – Star Trek Series Is A Go!
The G & T Show – it’s all about story, characters, and Star Trek
G & T Show 213 – Star Trek Series Is A Go! is now available to download. Check it out here. This week, Nick, Terry, and Mike are back with an all new show and some of the biggest news to come out of the Star Trek Universe in a long time: The Announcement of a new show. But first, they discuss Technology News, Product News, Book News, General Star Trek News, Unofficial Productions, Convention News, Gaming News, and more. Technical difficulties wiped out the first few minutes of the show. Regardless, you don’t want to miss this week’s episode.
We kick things off with introductions and an accelerated Coffee Klatch, since they were lost due to some technical difficulties, which Mike spoils and Terry explains. They get through Coffee Klatch at warp speed and try to summarize what was lost, which included Japanese Scientists developing a new method to create Transparent Aluminum for Technology News, and the Enterprise Cutting board for the first portion of the Product News segment, before the conversation degenerated to boobie and butt mouse pads and porn. We catch up with the regular show in the hind portion of the porn discussion.
Nick and Terry talk about the Japanese Fertility Festival that celebrates the penis with Matthew providing photos in the chatroom. Nick changes the subject to the TCM Wine Club and their visit to the Coppola Winery, which reminded him of Terry and Allen. Returning to Star Trek Products, Terry reminds everyone of the TNG Uniform Messenger is back with the interchangeable Pips. In the same style of the Messenger Bag, ThinkGeek revealed their new TNG Uniform Panties that come as a three pack in Red, Blue, and Gold. Nick doesn’t like them, and shares a story of the compliment he received about the TOS Messenger bag he picked up from Vegas. The chat room starts posting pictures of thongs, which prompts Terry to mention that the G & T Store has thongs available with their logo on them. If anyone gets the G & T thong, he wants them to flash him at the convention. Terry delivers the final bit of Product News. She came across a new board game created by Mayfair games, the makers of the Catan games. They have announced Star Trek: Five-Year Mission. She describes the game based on her article.
Terry talks briefly about the line of Adult products, her and Melissa would develop if they could get a license to do so. The conversation shifts to man-scaping and woman-scaping. Terry reminds everyone to purchase CBS licensed Star Trek products. Nick wants an official line of Star Trek man-scaping products. Mike quickly adds one more Star Trek product that he had recently received from a subscription box. GeekFuel offered an exclusive Star Trek promotional item to last month’s box that by far beat out the exclusive items he had received from LootCrate and Nerdblock. LootCrate had the Star Trek Air freshener for cars. Nerdblock had the TOS automobile dashboard Enterprise. GeekFuel, however, offered a collapsible water bottle with the Enterprise on it. He thinks it was the best subscription box exclusive that he had encountered yet.
Terry moves them into their next segment: Convention News. Nick asks if the Bay Area is where BlizzCon is going on this year. After checking, he discovers that it’s in Anheim. Terry talks about the article from NBC Bay Area discussing Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary Convention in Las Vegas. It confirms what we already knew, that the convention is going to kick some major ass. It provided an opportunity for Terry to talk about ticket sales for the convention. She recommends everyone checks the website daily and often to make sure they get them before they sell out, since Captain and Commander Level tickets were almost sold out before their official email went out to subscribers. Then, she mentions that anyone hoping to be a vendor, needs to reserve their table and/or booths now to make sure that they don’t sell out before Creation officially announces that vendors tables are available. She tracked down a form where vendor reservations can be made. She recommends vendors that listen to the show, such as Geek Nation Tours, Bye Bye Robot, Trek Radio, Timelines, Star Trek Online, Larry Nemecek, and others take advantage of the link and reserve their tables now. Prices for tables and booths for STLV 2016 have not been announced yet. She is unhappy with Creation’s handling of this situation and wants to make sure we get our booths. She says that it’s going to be big this year, because Hallmark is supposed to be there.
They shift to Book News. Dayton Ward posted his monthly writing wrap-up. He’s participating in NANOWriMo unofficially this year. They talk about NANO briefly and some of the writing projects Dayton is currently working on. Mike asks if writing Show Notes for episodes of 24 Hours of G & T counts towards his NANOWriMo goal, because that is currently all he has time for. Mike teases Steve, but everyone praises him for the effort he put into 24 hours of G & T and the sound effects he had available. Dayton is staying busy. Nick is impressed that he can do it all while drunk. Terry appreciated the portion of his writing wrap-up talking about the Enterprise Job. They are also looking forward to the Vulcan Travel Guide. They all get a laugh out of his Quotable Captain Pike entry. Moving along to the next bit of Book News, Terry Erdmann and Paula Block’s book Star Trek: Costumes now has a television commercial created for them by InSight. They all love Terry and Paula. Nick wants Terry Erdmann to run for President. We’d vote for him, but Paula probably wouldn’t let him.
They move onto General News next. Howard A. Anderson, Jr. passed away this week. Fred Thompson also passed away this week, but he didn’t have a Star Trek connection. Marina Sirtis was interviewed at Star Trek.com about 5th Passenger, Internity, and the Star Trek Cruise. Nick points out that we have an interview on Tuesday with the lovely Chase Masterson. They will be talking about something time sensitive that they can’t talk about right now. Nick uses this opportunity to talk about Flash, which Chase had appeared in, and then Supergirl. He mentions that Janice hates the character of Supergirl. Terry was disappointed that there are currently no Supergirl comics going on right now. Mike is pleased to hear that little girls are getting interested in comic books, but is disappointed that there are none available.
Nick asks if we’ve received any email lately other than spam. He tells Russia to knock it off before we begin with this week’s big New item. After a lengthy preamble, they reveal that a new Star Trek series is in development and will premiere in January 2017! After a decade, Star Trek is coming back as a series. Only the pilot will be broadcast on CBS television. All other episodes will be available on CBS All Access. If anything can draw people to use their streaming service, Star Trek can. In fact, Mike has already subscribed to CBS All Access.
Nick has a Getty-torial. He reads it on the air. They agree and discuss it afterwards. They are excited that it is happening and Terry couldn’t believe it. Mike called it. Several months ago, on the show, he predicted it would come out for January 2017. What we didn’t expect was that it would come out on a streaming service, and we are excited that it is, because a lot of the limitations imposed on broadcast television do not apply on a streaming service.
They talk about Kurtzman and his role as Executive Producer. Their concern now is how are they going to modernize the show while making it recognizable to existing fans. They talk about some options for the show, but hope that it is in the future, but they don’t know the future of which universe. Terry remains hopeful.
Nick talks about the negativity that has arisen around some of the fan productions. He compares it to being almost cult-like. They talk about fan productions and fan fiction. They are not too worried about CBS cracking down on fan productions. However, they ask fans to watch the complaining, because it can draw negative attention to the unofficial production they love, resulting in heinous actions being taken against them. Mike mentions that there are ways for companies like CBS are able to profit from fan produced fiction and art through Amazon Worlds and Cafe Press. It’s just a matter of finding away for CBS to get a cut from fan productions.
Nick points out that actors, directors, and writers are being paid, and therefore, are profiting from some of these larger fan productions. Terry mentions that Melinda Snodgrass was going to be paid through WGA for her work on Renegades, but has since left the project due to the issues that have arisen with the announcement of CBS’ new series. Despite the fact that CBS has been very kind towards these larger fan productions that pay their people. Mike worries that CBS may end up shutting down some of these productions because it might cause confusion in the marketplace. The new series will behind a paywall in CBS All Access and then find the fan series available for free. Some consumers may just end up watching the fan series.
Nick asks about how the series will be released. The first episode will be aired on television with the rest available on CBS All Access. Mike thinks that it will be released weekly through the service to ensure that fees are collected over a longer period of time. However, it goes against the current habit of binge watching series. It remains to be seen what CBS will do.
They talk about some of the things they don’t want to see and want to see in the new series. They hope for an alien Captain and diversity in the crew with some non-humanoid species appearing. Mike and Terry hope for a Tellarite Captain, while Nick hopes for an Andorian. They start getting silly with the egg laying Horta navigator.
Nick takes a moment to mention the time they spent with Kirsten Beyer during 24 hours of G & T. The Kirsten Beyer hour is not out yet. Mike is getting them edited as quickly as possible, but Janet is in charge of their release schedule. They talk about their surprise guests and the surprise interactions between their guests.
Terry takes them back to the new show and touches on another issue that has arisen. There are a couple of petitions going on calling for the show’s cancellation, the show’s removal from CBS All Access, and another to troll the disgruntled fans. Fans need to realize that shows are not free. They have been paid for through ads, but now CBS is making it available for fans to get it directly from them.
Someone in the chat room asked why release the pilot on tv. It’s their full length commercial for the new show. The first one is free, but you have to pay for the others. They talk about TNG’s pilot and used it as a point of comparison. Streaming is going to eliminate the input that advertisers have on shows. The speculate about the future of television and the way it is going to evolve. Terry tells people to embrace the change. Mike suggests everyone cancel their cable, upgrade their internet access, and subscribe to the content you want. They talk about 2 Broke Girls.
Mike thinks that it is possible that we may end up seeing the new Trek series appear on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu eventually, though it may not happen right away. Nick wants to subscribe to specific shows, or an all Star Trek channel. Nick and Terry talk about Les Moonves. Nick goes through his resume. Mike asks if its too early to call on CBS to spin off the new series. He goes on to say that they need more Star Trek on tv, not less.
They wind down the discussion of the new show and move into this week’s announcements. Terry starts off the announcements with next week, they’ll be premiering 50 for 50. The surveys listeners filled out gave us the top 50 Star Trek episodes of all time. They announced the episodes this week so listeners can participate with us next week when we start our discussion. In the coming weeks they will reveal more details from the polls. The first two episodes discussed for 50 for 50 will be TNG’s Pegasus and Enterprise’s Twilight. Send them questions, topics, and your comments for next week.
Mike congratulates Trek Karen for winning our Karaoke contest. She received her prize already. Prizes from the fundraiser are in the process of being shipped. All of the digital prizes should have been delivered. Some addresses are still required, so if you’ve donated to the fundraiser, check the email address attached to your payment method and see if we require any additional information from you.
Follow, Share, and Subscribe to the G & T Show on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Mike mentions once more that if you wanted to donate but missed their fundraiser, you still can by using the Support Us links on their home page and in the menu at the top.
Nick brings up Star Trek Online, and delays the end of the show. With the announcement of the new show, STO gave away the Enterprise Bundle pack. They also have a Lifetime subscription sale going on right now as well. A new redesigned Defiant is out. They also talk about the Admiralty system. The science requirements are killer. Nick suggests combining the fleets of players with characters in each of the factions. Mike bought a bunch of ship slots and bought a lot of dilithium ships. However, all of his lobi and lockbox ships are on another character and needs a way to get them back to his main characters. They are looking forward to the Dry Dock system.
They wind up the show this week.
- CBS All Access – New Star Trek TV Series Coming In 2017 – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-series/
- Hollywood Reporter – New Star Trek TV Series A Go At CBS – http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-tv-series-works-828638
- Star Trek.com – New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017 – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017
- Twitter: Seth MacFarlane – hopes for Optimistic Trek Series – https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/661352900610818048
- As yet unmade series of Star Trek is shit, say Trekkies – http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/as-yet-unmade-series-of-star-trek-is-shit-say-trekkies-20151103103507
- TrekCore: CBS President Les Moonves Talks About CBS All Access and Star Trek Moving to First-Run streaming – http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/11/cbs-president-les-moonves-talks-about-cbs-all-access-and-star-trek-moving-to-first-run-streaming/
- com: New Star Trek Series Already Threatens to be a flop – http://sciencefiction.com/2015/11/03/the-new-star-trek-series-already-threaten-to-be-a-flop/
- Star Trek is a big, but necessary investment in CBS’s Streaming Future – http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/3/9664106/star-trek-cbs-all-access-streaming-wars-network-television
- NY Post: CBS is Already Ruining The Star Trek TV Reboot – http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/cbs-is-already-ruining-the-star-trek-tv-reboot/
- CNN: CBS Launching New Star Trek TV Series Online: Renegades is displayed in the background – http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/11/03/exp-cbs-launching-new-star-trek-tv-series-online.cnn
- Org Petition: Cancel the new CBS Star Trek Series – https://www.change.org/p/cbs-cancel-the-new-star-cbs-star-trek-series-now
- Forbes: How Much Will the New Star Trek Series Add to CBS’ Bottom Line? – http://www.forbes.com/sites/gurufocus/2015/11/06/how-much-will-the-new-star-trek-series-add-to-cbs-bottom-line/
- Five Directions the New Star Trek TV Series Could Explore – http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/five-directions-the-new-star-trek-series-could-explore/
- 6 Ideas for the New Star Trek TV Show – http://nerdunion.us/2015/11/04/6-ideas-for-the-new-star-trek-tv-show/
- USS Enterprise Cutting Board – http://www.startrek.com/article/uss-enterprise-cutting-board-available-now
- Star Trek: TNG Uniform Panties – http://fashionablygeek.com/womens-apparel/star-trek-tng-uniform-panties/
- Mayfair Games, Star Trek: Five-Year Mission – http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865640924/Mayfair-Games-trio-of-fun-Star-Trek-Isle-of-Skye-and-Extra-Extra.html
- Star Trek TNG Uniform Messenger Bags – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/imkk/?itm=123660781485custom0t-shirts_%26_apparel%26custom1bags_backpacks_%26_luggage%26id&rkgid=1844236372&cpg=ognone&source=google_none&adpos=1o1&creative=50718224805&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAgvyxBRDmuviAj67g-XQSJABTLMcH2ti85qe64OIq9e0OocOB0KT9w8jsRlCpd9gGNACWtBoCnJXw_wcB
- Japanese Scientists Creates Glass As Strong As Steel And Iron – http://www.hexapolis.com/2015/11/03/scientists-create-unbreakable-glass-as-strong-as-steel/
- Dayton’s October Writing Wrap-up – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/october-writing-wrap-up-3/
- Paula M. Block Facebook: Commerical for Star Trek: Costumes Book – https://www.facebook.com/pmblock/posts/10205370607408770
- Star Trek: Costumes – The Commercial – https://www.facebook.com/InsightEditions/videos/10153455783403876/
- Star Trek Visual Effects Pioneer Howard A. Anderson, Jr. Dies At 95 – http://metv.com/stories/star-trek-visual-effects-pioneer-howard-a-anderson-jr-dies-at-95
- Sirtis Talks 5th Passenger, Internity, Trek Cruise, & More – http://www.startrek.com/article/sirtis-talks-5th-passenger-internity-trek-cruise-more
- Indiegogo: Star Trek: Captain Pike – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-captain-pike–2#/
- Kickstarter: Star Trek: Renegades Episodes 2 & 3 – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/145553614/star-trek-renegades-episodes-2-and-3
- Gates McFadden joins cast of Star Trek: Progeny – https://startrekprogenydotorg.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/gates-mcfadden-joins-cast-of-fan-series-star-trek-progeny/
- Kat’s Red Shirt Reviews – Ep. 1 – The Man Trap (Teras, Geek Nation Tours, his daughter reviews TOS epiosdes) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QitGNn-fE
- The Red Shirt Diaries – 18 – Arena – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLAnWOANxw
- Melinda Snodgrass Facebook: New Trek Series Killed Renegades – https://www.facebook.com/melinda.m.snodgrass/posts/10207194967545364 and https://www.facebook.com/melinda.m.snodgrass/posts/10207197911658965
- STO Star Trek TV Show Giveaway – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9631363-star-trek-online:-star-trek-tv-show-giveaway
- STO: Chase Masterson Interview – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9635383-star-trek-online:-chase-masterson-interview
- STO: LifeTime Subscription Sale – https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9621463
- On the Horizon: Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary Con – http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/worth-the-trip/On-the-Horizon-Star-Trek-50th-Anniversary-Con-339952662.html
- Creation’s STLV 2016 website – http://www.creationent.com/ST50/index.html
- Creation’s Vendor Information – http://www.creationent.com/dealers.htm
- Creation’s Vendors Table Reservation Form – https://www.creationent.com/dealers_reservation_request.htm
- Akezone 3D Anime Sexy Computer Mouse Pad with Wrist Rest – http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331477912662?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.