G & T Show 214 – The 50 For 50 Countdown Begins
G & T Show 214 – The 50 For 50 Countdown Begins is now available to download. Check it out here. This week Nick, Terry, and Mike are joined by Janet to introduce the first two installments in their 50 For 50 countdown of your favorite Star Trek episodes. They also discuss the latest news coming out the Star Trek Universe in General News, Products, TV, Gaming, and Books. You don’t want to miss out on the fun.
They start the show with the usual introductions. They send their love and support to France and everyone affected from terrorist attacks and the natural disasters that have hurt so many people around the world this week. They move into this week’s Coffee Klatch. After several attempts, he beat the Doctor Who Level in LEGO Dimensions. He’s also been editing audio from 24 Hours of G & T. Everything through Hour Nine has been released. He tells us about the Temporal Anomaly with Scott Pearson of Generations Geek that causes ripples through their schedule and affects each of them at different times. He also shares that his nephews are now able to recognize Doctor Who by the sound of his voice.
Nick talks about the people that will be attending Awesome Con in the coming year, which Nick is hoping G & T can obtain Press passes for. He talks about the odd week at work with the holiday in the middle of the week. Jespah has been busy with school work, got a part time job blogging, and has been making progress on NANO. She talks about her progress and shares a tidbit with them. Dayton is also doing NANO this year. He’s working on so many other things, he’s hanging in there with his NANO progress. Mike hasn’t officially been doing NANO this year. Instead, he’s been writing Show Notes and with them, he’s on par with the NANO progress.
Terry talks about the celebration the state of New Mexico is experiencing from the two sporting events that occurred yesterday. First, Holly Holmes defeated Ronda Rousey. Holly is a New Mexico native. They talk about the fight briefly and what is next for Ronda. Later, they talk about what roles she could fill within the Marvel Universe. The other sporting event was the University of New Mexico defeating Boise State.
With that they move onto this week’s Star Trek News. Mike spins the wheel o’ segments and starts with Product News and the new Star Trek TNG BBQ set. They describe the various pieces of the set. It’s a good-looking set. Next, mentions brings up the Star Trek.com article written by Kevin Dilmore and his interview with Lynn Norton, Sculptor for Hallmark, responsible for developing many of the Trek Keepsake Ornaments. Terry talks about Kevin before talking about her collection of Hallmark ornaments and her second Christmas Tree. Terry has another piece of product news. Entertainment Earth has released a foam replica Bat’leth. Mike loves them and will take two.
Matthew in the chat room shares a picture that sends them into Book News. They discuss IDW’s Starfleet Academy cover and the rumor (probably one person’s opinion) that the next series will be based on Starfleet Academy. They discuss some ideas and rumors they’ve started about what they would like to see in the new tv series. Continuing with book news, Mike mentions that the Strange New Worlds Fan Fiction contest now has an official video commercial.
Terry finished reading Star Trek: Titan: Sight Unseen by James Swallow. She talks about the book and how it is Christine Vale focused, which should please Nick. Terry doesn’t want to spoil the book. Nick provides a spoiler alert, allowing her to go into much more detail about the book, including a death and someone leaving the ship, and a trio of characters named after some people this audience may recognize. Mike mentions that the cover for James Swallow’s next book Star Trek: TOS: The Latter Fire has been revealed. They return to the discussion of Sight Unseen. It scared the crap out of Terry. The conversation degenerates into Trellium (aka. Space Asbestos.)
They move onto this week’s TV News. TrekCore talks about the reason why CBS decided to put Star Trek on CBS All Access. Mike thinks its a brilliant move, because they can create the series, reap the benefits from first time viewers on their streaming service, and still deliver the series to other streaming services later when they have a season or two under their belts. It goes hand in hand with the announcement that Disney made this week that they will be launching their own streaming service to the UK in Beta. Terry compares the reaction to the All Access announcement to STO’s Free To Play launch and the introduction of Lock Boxes. Quoting from the article about Disney’s article, Terry talks about the demise of linear television and the rise of apps. They talk about the streaming model and its benefits. People will be able to choose the “channels” they want a la carte. Mike concludes the segment by mentioning a new service his cellphone provider is launching called Binge On, which would allow endless streaming from several partnered streaming services without impacting the subscriber’s data limits.
Nick poses a hypothetical question about where the future of television lies after streaming. He wonders if downloading it directly into the brain. Mike points out Trek’s prediction of television’s demise in 2040. Mike thinks it’s too early to say, but everyone agrees immersion would probably be the next evolution of the medium. Binge watching has changed the way stories are told. Originally, everything was episodic, but with the ability to binge watch through DVDs and now streaming services, continuity and ongoing story-lines becomes much more important. Nick blames the episodic nature of older shows on Syndication and reruns which often played episodes out of order and as they wanted. Terry is looking forward to the revolution, because it means more work for actors, more scripted shows, and better content all around. Mike adds that as the number of subscription services increase vying for subscriber dollars, the price of a lot of these subscriptions will drop.
Mike quickly goes over some of the headlines of the other news items since the headlines explains it all. First off, Doctor Who’s Steven Moffat would be interested in a Trek / Who crossover as long as it was with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. A fan creates a working Type I phaser using a high powered laser. Mike jokes that balloons are quaking in fear and security guards at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade are on the look out for these “weapons”. Terry saw another design for a Type II phaser.
They move onto Gaming News next. They start by talking about the Admiralty System and some of the issues they have with it. The event adjustments give them a feeling of false advertising. Nick has a second complaint about the maintenance portion of the Admiralty system. Mike offers a suggestion involving mission specific modifiers that can increase or decrease the amount of time ships are in maintenance after a mission with failures automatically resulting in the maximum amount of downtime for the ship. Nick and Mike think some fine tuning is still required when it comes to maintenance. Terry thinks the cost of dry dock slots needs to be reduced. 400 zens for 5 slots is too much for them, especially if a maximum of 500 slots can be purchased. They talk about the Mirror Event briefly. Mike quickly runs through the other news, including the new blog war-era blog, the pop culture hero fundraising event (there are still 8000 bundles still available, although the t6 bundle and the mirror universe runabout have sold out), and the upcoming improvements to the Trait System. They briefly talk about their interview with Chase. Nick has finished his first specialization tree.
Mike quickly discusses the news coming out Timelines. They have announced a new Janeway and Doctor Crusher variants. Also, they released a blog post discussing the points of interest that can be found in game. They return to talking about specialization for Nick. Mike has maxed out all of the specialization trees and has 15 specialization points remaining. They wind up this segment to move onto their new segment.
They move onto this week’s 50 For 50. Last week they announced that they would be watching and discussing the first two episodes in their top 50 favorite episodes of Star Trek. Episode #50 was TNG’s The Pegasus and #49 was ENT’s Twilight. Mike and Jespah have theories about these episodes. Mike thinks Riker refuses to become Captain because all of the Captains he served under before Picard were assholes. They begin their discussion of Pegasus. It was the first time Janet watched this episode. She gives us a first time viewer’s perspective. Terry says that Pegasus is one of the plot bunnies in her fan fiction. They later discuss to Enterprise’s These Are the Voyages episode as it relates to this episode. They finish up their discussion of Pegasus and move on to talk about Twilight. Janet realizes there’s a common thread in both of these episodes. People lie to protect someone. She shares her thoughts on the episode. Everyone shares their appreciation for this episode. Next week, we’ll be discussing ENT’s Damage and TNG’s Unification Part 2.
They wind down the show with this week’s announcements. Mike asks Nick and Terry about the shipping status of the prizes from the fundraiser. Nick sends out a shout out to Lisa Marie. There will be no new Live show on November 29th. Terry announces that our booth for STLV 2016 has been ordered, but they are waiting on confirmation.
- Star Trek TNG BBQ Set – http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=892556&ecid=EMC-ST-000282&pa=EMC_ST_20151112_BBQSet&tp=i-H43-94-t9-2agnP-1c-zL31-1c-2aUoA-1OEIG6&esprid=38296991&espmid=3419
- Kevin Dilmore interviews Hallmark Sculptor Lynn Norton on the History of Trek Keepsake Ornaments – http://www.startrek.com/article/hallmark-sculptor-lynn-norton-on-the-storied-history-of-trek-keepsake-ornaments
- TNG Klingon Foam Prop Replica Bat’leth – http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NC15530#.VkiY4PmrSUm
- Star Trek: Captain Pike on Indiegogo – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-captain-pike–2#/
- Star Trek: Renegades 2 & 3 Kickstarter – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/145553614/star-trek-renegades-episodes-2-and-3
- Tim Russ plays Guitar and Sings: Renegades – https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries/videos/1063673980330661/
- Star Trek: Progeny – McFadden joins cast – https://startrekprogenydotorg.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/gates-mcfadden-joins-cast-of-fan-series-star-trek-progeny/
- The Red Shirt Diaries: Arena – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLAnWOANxw
- The Red Shirt Diaries: Tomorrow Is Yesterday – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tg9Vp-wSY
- (Teras’ daughter) Kat’s Red Shirt Reviews – Ep1 – The Man Trap – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QitGNn-fE
- Rumors: New Series may be based on Academy Years – Fan Cast – http://worldofoddballs.com/rumors-cbs-star-trek-is-based-on-star-trek-academy-years-fan-cast-1/
- TrekCore: Report Says Star Trek Demand from Other Streaming Drove ALL Access Decision – http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/11/new-report-says-star-trek-demand-from-other-streaming-services-drove-cbs-all-access-decision/
- 7 Things we want in the new star trek tv show – http://io9.com/7-things-we-want-in-the-new-star-trek-tv-show-1740580586
- JJ Abrams: STID Had Fundamental Story Problems – http://www.readability.com/m?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdlvr.it%2FChprNg
- Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage will voyage to Riverside Theater – http://milwaukeerecord.com/music/star-trek-the-ultimate-voyage-voyaging-to-riverside-theater-march-13/
- Doctor Who’s Steven Moffat open to Star Trek TOS crossover – http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-11/doctor-whos-steven-moffat-open-star-trek-crossover-he-has-few-conditions
- Disney Is Diving into Subscription Streaming – http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/11/12/walt-disney-co-is-diving-into-subscription-streami.aspx
- Dayton’s Your Moment of TrekZen – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/your-moment-of-trekzen-63/
- Fan creates a “working” phaser – Balloons Quake In Fear – https://www.facebook.com/SoreidemSTO/posts/10207523002734018
- Timelines: Captain Janeway: Coffee In That Nebula – https://www.facebook.com/startrektimelines/photos/a.1460584770844057.1073741829.1447338755501992/1709194945983037/?type=3
- Timelines: Wish you were Here: Points of Interest – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/wish-you-were-here-points-of-interest-in-star-trek-timelines
- Timelines: CMO Crusher – https://www.facebook.com/startrektimelines/photos/a.1460584770844057.1073741829.1447338755501992/1709713092597889/?type=3
- STO – Post War Era #3: A Single Step – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9646803
- STO – Pop Culture Hero Coalition Fundraiser on Groupees – https://groupees.com/startrekonline
- STO – Pop Culture Hero Coalition Fundraiser Announcement – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9649673
- STO: Trait System Improvements – https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9653823
- Star Trek: TOS: The Latter Fire by James Swallow Cover – https://www.facebook.com/56764725440/photos/a.10150343324350441.583489.56764725440/10156286381325441/?type=3
- Strange New Worlds Fan Fiction Contest Returns – http://www.startrek.com/article/strange-new-worlds-fan-fiction-contest-returns-for-2016
- Art for IDW’s Starfleet Academy & Reader’s Guide – http://www.startrek.com/article/check-it-out-art-for-idws-starfleet-academy-readers-guide
- Star Trek: Atlanta added to Creation Entertainment’s 50 Year Mission Tour – http://www.creationent.com/cal/50yr_atlanta.htm
50 For 50
- Star Trek: Heritage: History Lessons by T. L. Shull – http://issuu.com/terilynns/docs/history_lessons_a5_pdf_2015
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- LeVar Burton Joins Star Trek Online As Captain Geordi La Forge - August 14, 2017
- G & T Show 290 – Terry & Allen’s STLV Recap 2017 - August 13, 2017
- G & T Show 289 – Newsapalooza: Discovery Convention Edition - August 1, 2017