G & T Show 216 – Holidays Malaise
G & T Show 216 – Holidays Malaise is now available to download. Check it out here. Mike is here this week and is joined by Janet and Janice, while Terry is out sick and Nick deals with Technological issues that delayed his arrival. He eventually joins them to discuss Movie News, Products, Technology News, Unofficial Productions, Conventions, and more.
Mike starts off this week’s show with the news that Terry is sick from recent work-related trips. He wishes her well. Nick is MIA. But, this week he’s got Janet and Janice joining him. They move into this week’s Coffee Klatch. Janice has been working on her business and has issued a challenge to her fans. Each month will focus on a specific theme. Suggestions for themes can be voted upon on her Facebook page. Mike suggests Flying Monkeys for a theme.
Janet has been busy with final papers, her internship, and writing. She’s concerned about her progress in school. Although the internship has finished, she has been hired on part time to work with them. Also, her work in progress novel is over 100k words and features Nick, Terry, Mike, and Steve as lawyers. She talks about how much she’s having with the story, but has to find the end for the story.
Mike has finished the first draft of his story he’s submitting into the Strange New Worlds Anthology contest. He’s looking for beta readers. He’s also been reading. He’s finished Titan: Sight Unseen. The story made him cry and gave him nightmares. He praises James Swallow for a job well done. He has since moved on to Voyager: Unworthy. He thinks he’s already read it, since he remembers so much of the story, but when when started reading Children of the Storm, he’s confused by the events they immediately references.
Nick joins them. He had some computer troubles. Nick has been playing Borderlands this week. Janice asks about Nick’s The Gettysburg’s Address. He’s still having some computer issues. While they get worked out, Mike moves them into this week’s news.
Mike starts with Movie News. Star Trek Beyond’s new trailer will be released in conjunction with Star Trek: The Force Awakens. Mike is looking forward to seeing the new trailer as well as the new Star Wars film. He moves on to the an article talking about the new film and how it is going back to what made the franchise great. Justin Lin and Simon Pegg are quoted in the article discussing the film’s direction, the development of the crew, and challenging our ideas. He’s optimistic that with Lin and Pegg behind the film, they can make something fun and interesting. Janice thinks the timing for it is right. Mike admits that with the announcement of the new series, he is now much more open to the film. It has taken off a lot of the pressure off the film. Janice agrees. The show can be much more thoughtful. Mike mentions the editorial with a quote from a Paramount Executive where he talks about the idea of a Star Trek: Zero Dark Thirty. He thinks that the film can be this fast-paced action film as long as the new series remains true to the spirit of Star Trek. Now, the movies can be fun. The next bit of movie news is that Star Trek Beyond will be coming to IMAX in July. There were some issues getting the IMAX theaters booked because Tarzan had gotten them all for that weekend, which resulted in the film being delayed for two weeks. This week the first photo from the Tarzan movie in question has been released. They discuss the film and why it caused the delay. Janet likes Tarzan’s abs.
With Nick’s technology issues resolved, he talks about The Gettysburg’s Address. It will be a monthly show. He’s trying to book the next guest but having difficulty scheduling them because of the holidays. The first episode can be found their website GBAddress as well as iTunes and Google Play. His first guest is the Honorable James Kerwin. The format of the show is different from G & T. Mike appreciates the song and dance he did for the beginning of the show in the form of a monologue. Mike was present for the show to handle the backend. They congratulate him for his effort. It was a lot of fun. The topic was directing film and touched on television.
Jespah looked at Nick’s site for social media and offered some suggestions. They discuss her efforts and wish her a happy Chanukah. Nick asks Janet asks about Chanukah. She gives us some background on Chanukah. He reminds us that Shatner, Nimoy, and Shimmerman are / were Jewish. Janet shares her greatest fears with her Chanukah celebrations. Janice understands what Janet goes through. They get schooled on Chanukah. She had put a Chanukah scene into her latest book. She gives us some historical context to Chanukah as well. It was an informative discussion.
Mike moves them forward with more Star Trek news. They start with Unofficial Productions. Renegades has added a new Renegade to their cast. Nichelle Nichols is a Renegade. Mike questioned that choice, until he realized that she had some renegade streak in her that was apparent in the films. Nick mentions that she was the same way in TOS as well.
Star Trek: Continues had a ribbon cutting ceremony for their new Engine room. It is done. They have also released a 3D virtual tour of their entire set which includes the bridge, the corridors and adjacent rooms, and the engine room thanks to Matterport Technology. Mikes talks about the tours for a moment before getting to Red Shirt Diaries. There have been three new episodes since our last discussion of their project. Be sure to check out Space Seed, Court Martial, and A Taste of Armageddon.
Star Trek: Excelsior, the audio production, has launched a Kickstarter to get Walter Koenig and Nichelle Nichols involved with their next episode. They needed to raise a minimum of 5k and successfully raised 15k with five days remaining, which gives them both Walter and Nichelle along with some production improvements. Starship Farragut has also launched a Kickstarter for Farragut’s final episode (Homecoming) in the TOS era. They are planning to launch Farragut Forward which will be a movie era (Wrath of Kahn forward) production. They are looking for 15k and have raised 4k with 18 days to go. They have secured Stan Lee of Marvel Comics fame who will be making a cameo in their final episode.
Star Trek: Continues will be launching their final Kickstarter. They don’t want to ask the fans for any more money and are hoping to raise enough money to produce all of the episodes they have planned. They also send congratulations to them for winning four Global Accolade Awards for two of their episodes: The White Iris and Divided We Stand.
Finally, Five Year Mission has written and recorded a new song for the convention and has requested specific clips to be sent to them for use in their video. If interested, the instructions for what they are looking for can be found on their Facebook page (the link will be included below).
Next up, they talk about Convention News. STLV 2016 has announced some new guests. Also, Commander Level tickets had sold out before our recent fundraiser. However, due to the problems that some people were having with their ordering system, some additional Commander Level tickets were made available. Those have since been sold out. Nick mentions that people are excited for the convention, but there is some concern about how differently the convention is turning out to be this year. Copper level tickets are now available for $549. Mike mentions some of the perks of these tickets. Also, the Rio has sold out of rooms and overflow has been set up next door at the Palms. Nick hopes they will have a shuttle between the two hotels, since it’s a half-mile walk. The Rio sold out 11,000 rooms.
Mike offers them an opportunity to continue talking about news, or to switch to a discussion topic. Nick opts to ask Janice about her Voyager watch. Since she wasn’t immediately available possibly due to more technical issues, they move onto Technology News. Mike starts them off with the announcement that Google has created a prototype wearable device that would work like the Star Trek Communicator that connects via bluetooth to your smartphone. However, they have decided not to pursue it in order to create other types of wearables. Mike suspects wearable brooches are out of style. Nick and Janice disagree.
The next bit of technology news comes from the Nerdist. Geordi La Forge’s optical implants may be coming into fruition. Ocular replacements could help visually impaired people and those with cornea related issues to regain some sight. Janet discusses the benefit that this type of technology can have on older people and those with similar vision impairments. Nick wants the kind that will let him see five seconds into the future.
They go with Product News next. Starfleet Academy keychains comes in command, medical, science, and engineering logos in two different styles. Bye Bye Robot had an article written about them on EW about some of their posters. They are great and not very expensive. Space.com discussed the Vulcan Ale Beer: Genesis Effect from our friends at Federation of Beer. There are now some new wine glasses and charms. They discuss the wine glasses which sport an interesting angled edge. Perth Mint has some new Star Trek: Enterprise coins with Archer on one side and the NX-01 on the other. Next, Mike talks about the Borg items that are now available. Think Geek has a Borg Cube paper latern floor lamp. Mike goes over some of its features. The other is a Borg Cube glowing chair that can be used as a chair, footstool, or for mood lighting. Mike goes over some of its specs. Nick wants the Borg Cube mini-fridge that he had seen at the convention. Eaglemoss has expanded their collection. They are adding 20 new ships. No specific ships have been announced, but they offer some hints such as the debris field at Wolf 359, Delta Quadrant ships, and from the featured films.
With Janice back, Nick asks her about her progress on her first watch through of Voyager. They spend some time talking about season late season three and early season four episodes of Voyager. She’s doesn’t pay attention to the titles. She talks about the episodes she watched recently. Her overall impression of Voyager is that it’s a mismatch of DS9 and Enterprise, since she had watched both of those prior to Voyager. She goes on to compare Tom Paris to Tripp. Some of the episodes she had watched recently includes: Real Life, Distant Origin, Displaced, and Worse Case Scenario. Mike is also rewatching Voyager is in the same area as she is. Mike was pleased to see Seska come back in Worse Case Scenario and would have liked to have seen more of her if she hadn’t died.
Janice talks about how annoying Janeway’s voice can be. They talk about Janeway’s voice and the way they portrayed her character and how she was representative of the 90s corporate environment. Nick says that she mellows down with Seven. Mike says that Scorpion Part 1 is the next episode for Janice. Nick brings up how that episode really benefited Chakotay in that he was portrayed as a competent first officer rather than the love-struck cabana boy. Janice is now looking forward to watching it. They talk about how Chakotay virtually disappears as an interesting character after that until he comes back as Seven’s arm candy. Janice asks if the books treat him any better. Kirsten Beyer’s books do. Mike is reading them. Nick explains it as writer’s burnout. Janet talks about how some writers will champion certain characters and when the writers pick up on a new characters, some get left behind. That’s not to say that Beltran wasn’t a great actor and didn’t do a good job, but the writers were more interested in writing for Seven. She uses Saturday Night Live as an example. They talk about writing for a little bit.
The conversation shifts to Neelix. Janice thinks he’s interesting and safe, but that his stories are resolved much too quickly for the types of trouble he gets into. She talks about Fair Trade specifically. DS9 had an arc, TNG was episodic, but for Voyager it was a step back since they presented it as a hybrid of episodic stories with the overall story arc of going home. She would have like to have Neelix redeem himself after the events of Fair Trade. Mike thinks he also suffers from inconsistency, because he can come across as creepy uncle. Janice compares her relationship with Nick to that of Neelix and Kes and admits that she’s the Neelix in that relationship.
Mike mentions that they are taking a break from the 50 For 50 this week since Terry is not here. Despite Nick’s attempts to convince everyone that she’s on death’s door, Mike assures everyone that she is resting and hopes to come back soon. They wish her well. Mike mentions the episodes they will be discussing next week when she returns. They will be discussing DS9’s The Visitor, Enterprise’s United, Enterprise’s Awakening, and TNG’s Chain of Command Part 2.
Without anything further to discuss, they wish everyone happy holidays. Janet will be in Long Island for her parent’s 60th Anniversary next week. Mike mentions the email they received. He thanked the writer for the message and bringing the issue to their attention. It was Mike’s first piece of hate mail. He thanks them for the feedback and not the hate mail. They discuss the passion the person felt to actually put pen to paper to send in a message. Mike promises to take it under advisement.
They wind up the show with announcements. Mike couldn’t think of any at this time, but Nick offers on that brings the show to an end. They wish everyone Happy Holidays and Terry a speedy recovery. And with that they conclude this week’s show.
- Editorial: Execs calling for Star Trek: Zero Dark Thirty, Does Paramount just not get Trek – http://trekmovie.com/2015/11/17/with-execs-calling-for-star-trek-zero-dark-thirty-does-paramount-just-not-get-trek/
- Star Trek Beyond is coming to IMAX Worldwide in Summer 2016 – http://movieweb.com/star-trek-3-beyond-imax/
- Star Trek Beyond Trailer will Join Star Wars – http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/12/star-trek-beyond-trailer-will-join-star-wars/
- How Star Trek Beyond Is Boldly Going Back To What Made The Franchise Great – http://moviepilot.com/posts/3677714
- First Photos of Margot Robbie and Ale3xander Skarsgard In The Legend of Tarzan – http://geektyrant.com/news/first-photos-of-margot-robbie-and-alexander-skarsgrd-in-the-legend-of-tarzan
- Star Trek: Excelsior – Walter Koenig & Nichelle Nichols Joins – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67956312/walter-koenig-and-nichelle-nichols-join-star-trek
- Star Trek: Continues: Engineering Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – https://vimeo.com/146705888
- Starship Faragut: Homecoming Kickstarter – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265092982/starship-farragut-homecoming
- The Red Shirt Diaries – Space Seed – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHN6atWhEeQ
- The Red Shirt Diaries – Court Marital – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUx3WaReZs
- The Red Shirt Diaries – A Taste of Armageddon – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhjib5_gKY
- Star Trek Continues wins 4 Global Accolade Awards – https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekContinues/posts/1079568105410038
- Five Year Mission need our help with their STLV50 Video – https://www.facebook.com/5yearmission/videos/1221364537879855/?__mref=message_bubble
- Take A Stunning 3D Tour of the TOS Enterprise sets with Star Trek Continues and Matterport Technology – http://trekmovie.com/2015/12/05/take-a-stunning-3d-tour-of-the-tos-enterprise-sets-with-star-trek-continues-and-matterport-technology/
- Unlock the Future with Starfleet Academy Keychains – http://www.startrek.com/article/unlock-the-future-with-starfleet-academy-keychains
- EW: Six New Star Trek Posters celebrating TOS, Voyager, & Wrath of Khan by Bye Bye Robot – http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/23/star-trek-posters-voyager-wrath-khan-tos
- com: Highly Logical! Star Trek Inspired Vulcan Ale Makes US Debut – http://www.space.com/31182-vulcan-ale-star-trek-beer-debut.html
- New Wine glasses and Charms – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-logical-gifts-new-wine-glasses-and-charms
- Perth Mint honors Star Trek: Enterprise with coins from Tuvalu – http://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/2015/11/perth-mint-honors-star-trek–enterprise-television-series-with-c.2.html#
- Borg Cube: Some Assimilation Necessary – http://www.startrek.com/article/borg-cube-some-assimilation-necessary
- Borg Cube Glowing Chair – http://www.startrek.com/article/check-it-out-borg-cube-glowing-chair
- Eaglemoss Announces Expansion of Official Starships Collection – http://www.startrek.com/article/eaglemoss-announces-expansion-of-official-starships-collection
- Google Made a secret prototype that works like the star trek communicator – http://time.com/4121895/google-star-trek-communicator/?xid=fbshare
- Cornea Implants see the present, look like the future – http://nerdist.com/cornea-implants-see-the-present-look-like-the-future/
- Creation Entertainment: New guests, Overflow hotel, and copper tickets now available – http://www.creationent.com/ST50/index.html
- Janice Sanborn’s Blog – http://www.janicesanborn.net
- Janice Sanborn’s Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/janice.sanborn?fref=ts
- The Gettysburg’s Address – http://www.gbaddress.com
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- LeVar Burton Joins Star Trek Online As Captain Geordi La Forge - August 14, 2017
- G & T Show 290 – Terry & Allen’s STLV Recap 2017 - August 13, 2017
- G & T Show 289 – Newsapalooza: Discovery Convention Edition - August 1, 2017