G & T Show 224 – Product-Palooza
G & T Show 224 – Product-Palooza is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, and Janet return for an all new love-filled Valentine’s Day episode, discussing the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse. This week’s topics of discussion included General News, Television and Movie News, Products, Games, and Book News, a new Ask Dayton question, and DS9’s Improbable Cause and TOS’s The Trouble With Tribbles were discussed for 50 For 50. Don’t miss out on all of the fun crammed into this week’s episode.
After this week’s introductions, they jump right into Coffee Klatch as usual. Terry mentioned that she and Allen do not celebrate Valentine’s Day. Nick should be at Farpoint this week, but was sick this week and didn’t want to be patient zero at the convention. He was due to interview David Gerrold and Sean Maher, along with conducting a panel for his The Gettysburg’s Address. He sends an apology to everyone at Farpoint. He also started playing Star Trek Timelines this week. His one complaint so far is in regards to chronitons and wonders why they are limiting his play time. He’s enjoying the game. Right when you start getting into the groove, it stops you or forces you to fork over 150 dilithium (real money) to keep playing. Terry hasn’t run out of chronitons because the game crashes before she hits her groove. They talk about their respective play styles and strategies for Timelines.
Mike played Timelines and STO this week. He’s been experiencing a severe creative block and hasn’t been able to get any of his ideas down onto paper. But he has been having fun going through and editing Janet’s story. He’s sending her notes and keeps expecting her to get pissed off at him for some of his comments since he analyzes the story from the perspective of science and technology. Janet thinks that it’s helpful because it fills a niche and her other beta readers offer feedback in different ways. She goes on to say that she’s getting ready for her Supreme Court Confirmation hearings since she’s heard that there’s an opening. She’s put in her proposal for her capstone project and it was accepted. She will be doing her project on Social Media Marketing for Independent Writers, or writers without a literary agent.
This week, Terry worked. She also monitored several exchanges on Twitter and saw some people talking separately about losing a job opportunity, gaining a job opportunity, and end the end, she came to the conclusion that something big was going to be announced soon. The following day, the announcement was made that Bryan Fuller is the show runner of the new Star Trek series. They along with many other people around the community are very pleased with the announcement because of his previous work with Star Trek DS9 and Voyager, Hannibal and other successful shows. Several years ago, Bryan had pitched a new Star Trek series and they discuss some of the things he had wanted for that show, including Angela Bassett as the show’s Captain.
Fuller is now looking for his writing team. The writing team is one of the most important parts of the show. They may already have a setting and the general idea of the cast. It’s going to be moving forward pretty quickly, since the show will have to begin filming by late summer for a January 2017 release and pre-production will have to begin before that. They speculate how many episodes they will be getting with the new show. Terry is still nervous that they may end up with a JJ-verse series and is worried about where and when it will take place. They discuss some options. There is still a lot of story fodder in the Prime Universe and Mike and Terry would love to see more of it and if they could incorporate Star Trek Online as part of its history, they’d like it even more.
Nick talks about the news that he came across last night about Vic Mignogna being on the first hour of Coast to Coast AM. He explains what Coast to Coast AM is. It’s one of the greatest radio shows that covers a variety of topics from Bigfoot, ghosts, conspiracy theories and more. He was on the show last night to talk about Star Trek Continues. He’s also at Gallifrey One this weekend. Michelle took a photo with a couple of kids dressed as Weeping Angels. It was an adorable image.
They talk about the Supreme Court and the passing of Antonin Scalia. They may not have agreed with him, but they respected him. They didn’t like that some people were celebrating his passing. The cause of his death isn’t known yet. They talk about some of the conspiracy theories that have already come out about his passing. They also talk about what took so long for the announcement to come out. Where he died was in the middle of nowhere and the investigation was going to be handled by the FBI rather than the local sheriffs.
Before getting to all of the rest of the news they have, Terry mentions that there hasn’t been a lot coming out on the Axanar front, and she’s ok with that. They move onto Product News. CBS Licensing has been busy and a lot of licensed products are due out this year. There are still no LEGO sets, but there will be a MEGA Blocks Enterprise. The Mezco action figures are six inch, one-twelfth scale There are three figures coming out: Kirk, Spock, and Sulu. Mike points out that the Captain Kirk announcement features all three action figures on a bridge and the rumor mill suggests that the bridge set may be available in the future. Mike suggests picking up three, one to play, one to display, and another to put away.
The next item is the Eaglemoss expansion ships. While the link is located, Terry mentions the TOS-era Romulan Bird of Prey that Diamond Select will be putting out this year. The Eaglemoss ships have a Romulan Shuttle along with several more ships coming out, including the ISS Enterprise and the USS Franklin from Star Trek Beyond. The Franklin is an interesting design.
They take a minute to discuss an important article and they hope that with the new show and film coming out that the women action figures won’t be left out of the toy and product lines that are coming out with them. They talk about the action figures that the article mentions and points out that they have seen them, but wonders if they could have been produced with limited numbers. Terry mentions that Mezco will be producing an Uhura to go with their other action figures.
Continuing with the product news, they discuss some of the jewellery and accessories that are coming out, including the combadge friends necklace, the LLAP charm for bracelets, and even a Star Trek bow tie. They talk about the the TOS rash guards and Gi’s. Next, they talk about the Diamond Select Enterprise NX-01 and Deanna Troi in a skant. There’s a moment of confusion about. Mike mentions that Diamond Select is also planning to release a Khan action figure. However, Terry was referring to the Wrath of Kahn LP, which has finally gone on sale, but has also sold out in a matter of weeks. Halmark is releasing their TOS itty bittys and the set includes an Uhura figure.
They talk about all of the new board games coming out, beginning with Star Trek Panic. They never played Panic and don’t quite understand the game. Terry reads the snippet from the article. The next game is Star Trek Road Trip. G & T Show gave it away during our 24 hours of G & T they did in October. Nick takes a minute to mention that planning has already begun for their second annual 24 Hours of G & T fundraiser, which will be set for the weekend before Halloween. This time it will be 24 hours and not 25 hours. Returning to the new games, Star Trek: Five Year Mission is coming, along with a jig saw puzzle featuring the Juan Ortiz posters, and from the Franklin Mint they are releasing a 3D chess set that is really nice and not over the top like some of their other Star Trek products. They talk about the 3D chess set. The foam Klingon batleth was also mentioned. Finally, Mike finishes up with a product that really made him excited. It’s not the Defiant, but it’s an Enterprise 1701-A drone. Mike is still hoping for a Defiant drone, because he’s concerned that the Enterprise’s engineering section and nacelles may make this one a little back heavy. It will be available later this year for $120.
Before moving on to Gaming News, Nick takes the opportunity to point out Axanar’s product selection. They begin with Timelines. An iOS update came out at the beginning of the month and although it fixed some of the crashes Terry was experiencing with her device, it did not fix all of them. Nick asks Terry about the NeverwinterPudPullerTwat that keeps launching DDoS attacks against Cryptic servers. Mike quickly brings them back to Timelines to talk about the latest episode of their Disruptor Stream, which offered a sneak peak at the next update for the game. He talks about some of the features he saw and likes that will be coming to Android and iOS in the near future. They include: improved ship battles, better effects and graphics, color coordinated department skills, auto-slotting for mission replay on Androids, crew sorting for away missions, chronitons will be displayed prominently instead of the marks, ship upgrades, and so much more. Nick loves his Seska and Terry appreciates her Feezal Phlox. They talk about some of the crew they have found in the game. They have all been having so much fun with Timelines. Mike flies the bulldozer, the Borg Scout ship, Terry is in the Enterprise D, and Nick is still flying the Constellation class. Mike hopes that Disruptor Beam will release either a browser based version of the game or a Windows App version that could work for Windows Phones, Tablets, and PCs.
They move onto the NeverwinterPudPullerTwat and relates it to an extension of the hate burning on their forums. Their actions affect the STO servers as well as Neverwinters. Terry mentions that they have located them and has issued a C & D. They are not in the US. Nick wants to turn off their access, but Terry doesn’t want to ruin it for everyone. Mike suggests nuking him from orbit with a surgical strike. Terry runs through the issue for anyone that may not be familiar with what is going on and what ends up setting him off with his attacks. She wants to know what Cryptic is doing about it. She thinks he’s a disturbed individual getting his kicks off of it.
Mike moves them to the first bit of STO related news. The mac client for STO, Neverwinter, and many other games will no longer be updated. The company that creates and maintains the clients for Cryptic is going out of business. We send our condolences out to them. He does say that STO is still available for mac players, but they would have to get it through Windows Emulation. Terry moves them to the next bit of STO news. STO has released new T6 variants of the FED, ROM, and KDF flagships. They discuss the new ships, their traits, consoles, their overall appearance, and how you can get them as singles, in faction packs, or the entire pack of nine ships. They also talkl about the zen sale and the ship sale that includes Dry Dock slots. Mike talks about the in-universe magazine article Thomas the Cat created talking about the new Federation ships. Mike enjoyed the article and suggests everyone takes a look at it. He did a great job with the ships and the article.
They move onto Movie News. They start with leaked concept art that reveals part of Elba’s character’s backstory. Mike talks about the USS Franklin. The Enterprise gets destroyed in the early parts of the film and that the presence of the Franklin establishes a history that Elba’s character has been attacking and taking out Federation starships in the region. Terry doesn’t think it’s spoilery. Mike points out that they revealed in Search For Spock trailers that the Enterprise would be destroyed, although they kept how and when it would happen a secret for that film. The chat room starts taking bets as to when the Enterprise would be destroyed in Star Trek Beyond. They speculate about the film. The next article was about why fans should be more optimistic about Star Trek Beyond. Mike runs through the article quickly, which included the ensemble, the writing, and other highlights.
They move onto Dayton Ward. Quickly, for Book News, they talk about Dayton’s blog and the list of all of the books he has coming out this year, not all of which are Star Trek novels. He’s written for the Rush: 2113 Anthology, 24, several Trek novels, and his Vulcan Travel Guide coming out. With that business taken care of, they move onto this week’s Ask Dayton, which is about Real Star Trek fans. If you have a question for Dayton, email it, tweet it, Facebook it, or post it on our forums and we’ll send it to him and will read his response on a future episode of G & T Show.
Nick takes a moment to talk about Horizon. It’s coming out on February 28th. It looks amazing and Tommy Kraft did it on a shoestring budget.
They move onto this week’s 50 For 50. This week they discuss DS9’s Improbable Cause and TOS’s The Trouble with Tribbles. After figuring out which one to discuss first, they begin with Improbable Cause. This was a great Garak episode. DS9 started hitting its stride with its mini-arcs. They discuss the episode and the character of Garak in detail. Next, they discuss The Trouble with Tribbles and take it in an unexpected direction, painting Scotty as participant in animal cruelty and genocide for beaming the tribbles aboard the Klingon ship. Janet reminds everyone to spay and neuter your tribbles. This is one of those episodes that should be on the short list for anyone interested in checking out Star Trek.
Next week for 50 for 50, they will be discussing #30 DS9’s s06e13 Far Beyond the Stars and #29 ENT’s s04e07 The Forge. Tune in next week to hear our thoughts on these episodes. They start winding down this week’s show with some voice mail they had received. Leave us a voice mail and we may use it live on the show. Terry shares some of her history with Michael Hinman and says that they will have Michael on the show at some point soon.
Continuing with Announcements, Mike reads a message they had received from Teras Cassidy from Geek Nation Tours. Their tour has been moved into the Limited Space status and will soon be closed. This is your final chance to get aboard the tour. They praise the tour and hope that if you’re thinking about it that you act upon it soon. Terry talks about the latest Convention News. STLV is sold out, but there might be a few Copper seats available. Mike had seen that they are working with hotel and trying to rework their seating plan to try and squeeze in a few more seats but there’s no guarantee that it will happen. G & T Show will be at STLV. We are still waiting to hear about our second booth. G & T Show will also be at Star Trek Mission New York. Nick will also be planning to attend Shore Leave. Mike reads the press release he received from Shoreleave. Terry Erdman and Paula Block will be in attendance, along with the announcement that Karen Gillan will also be in attendance. He’s still bitter about missing Barrowman last year and will not be missing Gillan. Janet takes us out with a Valentine’s Day poem.
- Ask Dayton 115 – Fanning the Flames – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/ask-dayton-115-on-the-g-and-t-show-fanning-the-flames/
- Star Trek in for a landmark year in licensing, says CBS Consumer Products – http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/star-trek-in-for-a-landmark-year-in-licensing-says-cbs-consumer-products/043353
- 6-inch Mr. Spock Looks so much Like Leonard Nimoy – http://mashable.com/2016/02/04/6-inch-mr-spock-action-figure/#KTqjULeGb8qE
- First Look at Mezco’s Captain Kirk figure – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/first-look-at-mezcos-captain-kirk-figure.html
- First look at Eaglmoss’ Romulan shuttle, mirror NX-01, and more – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/first-look-at-eaglmoss-romulan-shuttle.html
- Top 10 Star Trek Women Characters that still need their own action figures – http://trekkiefeminist.tumblr.com/post/90414789052/star-trek-women-action-figures
- Trek for the neck: Latest jewelry and accessories – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/trek-for-neck-latest-jewellery-and.html
- Get Ready To Rumble with TOS & TNG Rash Guards, Spats, BJJ Gi – http://www.startrek.com/article/get-ready-to-rumble-with-tos-tng-rash-guards-spats-bjj-gi
- Mondo’s Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan OST 2XLP Now on sale – http://mondotees.com/products/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-ost-2xlp?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Khan-Lookalikes
- DST’s latest: Enterprise NX-01 and Deanna Troi – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/dsts-latest-enterprise-nx-01-and-deanna.html
- Facebook – Dayton Ward – Hallmark itty bittys photo – https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208508477530500&set=a.3590087751902.2164509.1264609227&type=3&theater
- Star Trek Panic and other new board games – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/star-trek-panic-and-other-new-board.html
- Fight Honorably with Foam Klingon Bat’leth – http://www.startrek.com/article/fight-honorably-with-foam-klingon-batleth?utm_content=buffer3bc79&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Franklin Mint tri-dimensional chess set returning for the 50th anniversary – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/02/franklin-mint-tridimensional-chess-set.html
- Trek Licensees Out In force at Toy Fair – http://www.startrek.com/article/trek-licensees-out-in-force-at-toy-fair
- You Don’t need any Starfleet training to fly this star trek uss enterprise drone – http://toyland.gizmodo.com/you-dont-need-any-starfleet-training-to-fly-this-star-t-1758968637?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
- Star Trek Timelines – Latest iOS update – https://www.disruptorbeam.com/forums/stt/viewthread/48357
- Star Trek Timelines: Disruptor Stream: First Look @ Star Trek Timelines Update 2/12/2016 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nuQyN_mURg&feature=youtu.be
- Gambit Realm Interview: Star Trek NCC-1701 Tour – http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/06/trekcore-gaming-explore-the-enterprise-in-star-trek-ncc-1701-interview/
- Star Trek Online – Mac Closure Notice – http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1211294/mac-closure-notice
- Star Trek Online: T6 Flagships Announcement – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9780393-star-trek-online%3A-t6-flagships-announcement
- Star Trek Online: Federation Flagships – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9782283
- Star Trek Online – TTC Jayce’s Navy Interstellar – https://indd.adobe.com/view/5d7ffcd8-7cf8-4561-a13a-5df451ef0511
- Star Trek Beyond Spoilers: Leaked Concept Art Unlocks Part of Elba’s Plot Against the Federation – http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-beyond-spoilers-leaked-concept-art-unlocks-part-idris-elbas-plot-against-509192?platform=hootsuite
- Star Trek Beyond – Why Fans Should Be More Optimistic – http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/star-trek-beyond-why-fans-should-be-more-optimistic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MonkeysFightingRobots+%28Monkeys+Fighting+Robots%29
- STC: Our Course heading – Part 2 – https://vimeo.com/153858519
- 1701 News – Axanar Misses Mark As Professional Film – http://1701news.com/node/1015/axanar-misses-mark-professional-film.html
- Facebook – FCD Events – C & D issued against fan run Star Trek convention – https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=573700929461930&id=269923863172973
- Starship Farragut: The Crossing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as-vKOb6Sy4&feature=youtu.be
- 10 Photos from the 366 Project at Roddenberry Vault – http://www.startrek.com/article/10-photos-from-the-366-project-at-roddenberry-vault
- Nimoy Died on non-speaking terms with Shatner – http://1701news.com/node/1014/nimoy-died-non-speaking-terms-shatner.html
- Star Trek exhibit coming to EMP Museum – http://seattlerefined.com/lifestyle/star-trek-exhibit-coming-to-emp-museum
- Dayton Ward – The Updated big honkin’ books pre-order links post – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/the-updated-big-honkin-books-pre-order-links-post/
- Star Trek revival: Bryan Fuller Returning to Command New Series – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/star-trek-bryan-fuller
- Star Trek: Bryan Fuller Named Showrunner of New Series – http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-bryan-fuller-showrunner-cbs-hannibal-1201700606/
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator of New Star Trek TV Series – http://www.startrek.com/article/bryan-fuller-named-co-creator-of-new-star-trek-tv-series
- Producer Bryan Fuller gives details on CBS’ Star Trek Reboot – http://www.cbsnews.com/news/producer-bryan-fuller-gives-details-on-cbs-star-trek-reboot/
- CBS Order for Matt Nix Drama Scrapped when Co-Production Deal Falls Through As Ownership Rules Pilot Season 2016 – http://deadline.com/2016/02/matt-nix-cbs-pilot-dead-amy-holden-jones-1201693906/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017