G & T Show 227 – The Answer Is Steve Buscemi
G & T Show 227 – The Answer Is Steve Buscemi is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, and Janet have returned for a new episode to discuss the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse. This week they deliver the News from the realms of Gaming, Television, Conventions, Products, and Books. They also discuss the latest developments in Unofficial Productions including Star Trek: Continues’ To Boldly Indiegogo campaign and the latest from the Axanar lawsuit. Also, they have a new Ask Dayton and a lively 50 For 50 discussion of ENT’s Kir’Shara and TNG’s Q Who. And, of course Steve Buscemi.
Following this week’s introductions, Nick starts off Coffee Klatch with his hate for the character of Grant Ward on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They spend a few minutes talking about Ward and how he is a true villain with no redeemable qualities. Janet has been doing schoolwork and will be going on spring break next week. Instead of going to Florida, she’ll be going to New York to visit her family. Nick was supposed to be at Shooty Time this week, but he managed to join them this morning. Mike has been playing Timelines especially with the new update that came out this week. He also recorded a new episode of Straight Outta Gallifrey, which should be out later this week. Terry has been busy with work, dealing with some emotionally draining cases. She talks about meeting a client that drove over five and a half hours because they didn’t have access to broadband Internet. The company she works for will be establishing a new business that will be working to rectify the lack of broadband at Native American Reservations. They talk about the party they attended Friday night in honor of their friend Jim Ferris, who performed his final DJ radio show in Illinois. They had a good time and are looking forward to his next show, which will be held after his move to Kentucky and gets his equipment set up.
They move onto Convention News, beginning with Star Trek Las Vegas. They go over some of the highlights of the guest list. Kirstie Alley will be attending on Friday. Terry is excited to meet Neal McDonough. James Darren, Kate Mulgrew, most of TNG, Brannon Braga, Ike Eisenmann, Rod Roddenberry, Ira Steven Behr, Sally Kellerman, Diana Muldaur, Suzie Plakson, Andrew Robinson, and many others will also be attending. G & T Show will be present with a pair of booths. They talk about Mission New York next. G & T Show will be present as well, although in what capacity remains to be seen. The price of their booths was higher than expected, considering we already have a pair of booths for Vegas. Nick explains that booths and convention appearances comes their of respective pockets. Their fundraiser is only used to pay for the technical aspects of the show, such as website, streaming, and other necessities for putting on the show each week. Mike pays for his own hair extensions. Shatner will be headlining Mission New York. They discuss Shore Leave next. They had a logo contest and Mike praises the Roddenbunny logo that won. Mike mentions that Nick will be representing G & T Show at Shore Leave. He will be meeting Karen Gillian. Mike runs through the rest of the guest list attending Shore Leave.
Next, they discuss the latest Television News. On the heels of the revelation that Bryan Fuller will be the new show runner and Nicholas Meyer will be a producer and writer on the new Star Trek series. This week, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth have been named Executive Producers for the new series. Mike had some questions about Rod’s appointment. The only thing that he knew of Roddenberry’s work was his time as Creative Consultant for Earth Final Conflict and his Trek Nation documentary. Terry and Nick talk about Rod and his wife. Rod has produced web series, comics, and a lot of other original works. Rod understands his father’s vision for Star Trek, but in a much more pragmatic way. He will be good in keeping Star Trek’s heart and soul in the right place. Terry thinks they are putting together an Executive Producer Wheel, like the Director Wheel, where producers will be working on content concurrently. The show is coming together very quickly since they have to start filming by August. The first mention of Steve Buscemi appearing in Star Trek was made. Buscemi will be mentioned throughout the rest of the episode in some unique ways. Den of Geek asked Angela Bassett about her interest in possibly playing a Captain in Star Trek. She would be thrilled at the opportunity, but since she’s currently in American Horror Story, she can not do both. They discuss some options for the Captain on the new show, including who they would cast as an Andorian Captain. Mike suggest Tony Todd before suggesting Steve Buscemi. They run through several names ranging from Miley Cyrus to Rhonda Rousey. Returning to Television News, Terry mentions an interview with Nicholas Meyer that mentions the new Star Trek series will go in a different direction. Nick jokes that it would be gay porn or furry-Trek. Meyer couldn’t elaborate on the details of the show. They discuss a motion-capture alien played by Jim Carey. They move onto Les Moonves, who will be taking over as CEO of CBS. He was the one that identified the potential Trek could offer to CBS All Access. Streaming services were jumping over themselves to get the new Trek series before the CBS All Access announcement. This is another nail in the coffin of broadcast television. They discuss CBS All Access. Nick asks if they have their full back-library. Terry mentions some of the shows they currently have available. Screen Rant posted an article about what they’d like to see in the new series. They discuss some of the highlights of the article and they discuss the inclusion of Future Guy. They talk about some of the rumors of who Future Guy is. It’s Steve Buscemi!
They move onto Unofficial Productions, beginning with Star Trek: Horizon. They interviewed Tommy Kraft this week. They talk about the interview. They had fun with the interview and recommend that everyone check out the interview. Nick thought he recognized the Captain’s voice from somewhere and wondered if he had done some voice over. Mike mentions that Horizon’s blooper reel was released this week. Terry, then, moves them along to Star Trek: Continues. They have launched their Indiegogo campaign, To Boldly Indiegogo. They are trying to raise $350k and have raised almost 30k in just about a day. They will be producing 3.5 episodes for $350k and for $450k they will produce a fourth episode. It includes rent and utilities for the facility they are using. They have released five episodes so far. In May, their sixth episode will be released. This fundraiser will let them complete episode seven which is due out in the Fall. The fundraiser will run for 60 days. Mike is concerned that the Axanar bruhaha will turn people off from donating to fan films. Terry is hesitant about donating because of it. Nick keeps his donations private, but the show supports all productions. Nick asks about Pacific 201. Mike has seen updates from Captain Pike, but doesn’t recall seeing anything recently for Pacific 201. They talk about the temporary take down of one of Star Trek: New Voyages episodes. The episode is back up now. Any time a fan film gets pulled, it’s a concern. They suspect it was an error with YouTube’s bot. They send a message to anyone that may be reporting or impersonating a copyright holder for a fan film, or attacking any fan production’s website or other online assets. They do not condone any violence or threats against anyone and ask those considering it to seek immediate help or write fan fiction with Steve Buscemi.
They move onto the latest news with revolving around the Axanar lawsuit. There’s not a lot to report, though Nick mentions new legal threats were made against everyone on the show. Pushing forward, Janet talks about the Scheduling Conference set for May 9th and doesn’t comment on the status of the Motion to Dismiss but suspects that the first two points will be heard. The forms for dispute resolution have also been provided but that doesn’t indicate that they will be settling. Once again Nick, Terry, and Janet provide their backgrounds for the record. Janet runs through the three parts of an ADR offers her thoughts on each of them. They talk what mediation and settlements mean. They also talk about scheduling and possible timelines for the case’s resolution.
They move onto a new Ask Dayton about the new series. This was a lengthy entry and one you have to hear. They thank Dayton for playing along with them. They follow it up with Product News, starting with the news from Loot Crate’s announcement that the March Loot Crate will feature a wearable Star Trek item. Then, they discuss the Eaglemoss USS Antares ship. The ship was from TOS’s remastered series, but its particular design was inspired by a robot ship seen in the Animated Series, marking the first time a ship from the Animated Series indirectly appeared in their collection.
Book News is up next. James Swallow’s The Latter Fire (Star Trek: The Original Series) is currently available at your favorite booksellers. Pick up a copy today. Also, Visionary Trek interviewed Margaret Clark and they talk about all of the TOS books being released this year for the 50th Anniversary. In other book news, Starlog Magazine will be releasing all of their issues online and free to everyone. Dayton’s end of the month writing wrap-up reveals some information about what he’s working on, including books for other Tie-In Media besides Star Trek. Finally, Trek Collective had some preview pages to from the upcoming book Star Trek: The Classic UK Comics.
Keeping the show rolling, they move onto Gaming News, beginning with Star Trek: Timelines. A new update for both Android and iOS. The update includes ship upgrades and the ability to sort crew is new for Android devices. Terry is still having issues with crashes on her iOS device. Before moving onto STO, Mike talks about what Timelines discussed in their latest Disruptor Stream which included Events and the ability to buy additional crew slots for dilithium and / or energy credits. In STO, Terry talks about the latest piece of fiction regarding the Nakul. Terry and Mike really enjoyed the story and recommends everyone check it out. ARC 3.0 is also coming out. Mike talks about it briefly, but he’s interested in the idea of ARC Quests, where players can take daily and weekly missions that could require them to try out a new game, or achieve some requirement in another game in order to earn ARC points, which in turn can be turned in for Zen, in game currency for most PWE games. The Galactic Development event is currently underway. Work towards server wide goals for the week and earn special rewards the following week.
With all of the news out of the way, they get to this week’s 50 for 50 which puts them at the midpoint of their countdown. This week they discuss #26 is TNG’s Q Who and #25 is ENT’s Kir’Shara. They begin with Q Who and discuss the Borg and the Q respectively, since the Q introduced the Federation to the Borg in a very humbling manner. After their lengthy discussion, they move onto the final Enterprise episode in their countdown, Kir’Shara. They discuss Vulcan philosophy and how this episode was a turning point for the race, the Andorian’s torture of Soval, and how Enterprise was able to avoid war breaking out between the Andorians and the Vulcans. Allen will be on the show next week to talk provide some information about Enterprise’s position in the poll. The next episodes they will discuss next week are #24 TNG’s s06e15 Tapestry and #23 TOS’s s02e05 Amok Time.
They finish up the show with Announcements. Terry talks about the passing of Gary Hutzell. He was a Visual Effects Artist for TNG and DS9 and good friend to Doug Drexler. They send their condolences to Gary’s friends and family. Janet reminds everyone of her Tag Line Contest. She would like something that isn’t related to the law and appreciates the entries made so far. She’d like something Star Trek-related. Nick doesn’t have any announcements, but Mike mentions that there will be a new episode of Straight Outta Gallifrey coming out sometime this week. Clocks change next week and Mike will be losing an hour of sleep. Follow them on social media and share our posts.
- G & T Show SL – Star Trek Horizon with Tommy Kraft – http://www.gandtshow.com/g-t-show-sl-star-trek-horizon-tommy-kraft/
- G & T Show’s Janet Needs A Tagline Contest – http://www.gandtshow.com/forums/index.php/topic,1251.0.html
- Buffalo State Experts help with Enterprise Restoration – http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo-state/buffalo-state-experts-help-with-restoration-of-iconic-star-trek-enterprise-20160222
- Trek Talks Lanched to Celebrate Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary – http://www.startrek.com/article/trek-talks-launched-to-celebrate-star-treks-50th-anniversary
- Shatner does the Weather for The Weather Network – http://www.theweathernetwork.com/videos/Gallery/william-shatner-forecast-boldly-go-where-no-weather-person-has-gone-before/sharevideo/4774583851001
- Spock Gets The Hamilton Treatment in Amazing Star Trek Musical Mash-up – http://entertainmentweekly.tumblr.com/post/140275433474/mr-spock-gets-the-hamilton-treatment-in-amazing
- WeLoveFine with STO, ThinkGeek, and ReedPop representatives acting as judges for a 50th Anniversary Design Contest – http://community.welovefine.com/m/contests/detail/star-trek-50-contest
- In Memoriam of Gary Hutzel – http://herocollector.com/article/in-memoriam-gary-hutzel
- Remembering TNG & DS9’s VFX Artist, Gary Hutzel – http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-tng-ds9-vfx-artist-gary-hutzel
- 7 inch Organic LCD wraps around your wrist – It’s a TMP Wrist Communicator – http://gizmodo.com/this-4-7-inch-organic-lcd-wraps-right-around-your-wrist-1760528799?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
- Here’s How We Could Reach Mars In Just 30 Minutes – Solar Sail propelled with high power laser – http://www.iflscience.com/space/laser-propelled-spacecraft-could-reach-mars-30-minutes-seriously
- Someday suturing A Wound Will Involve Lasers – Star Trek’s Auto-Suture may be in development – http://gizmodo.com/someday-suturing-a-wound-will-involve-lasers-1757411919
- NASA Technology to help Develop Noninvasive Medical Treatments – http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/february/nasa-technology-to-help-develop-noninvasive-medical-treatments/#.VttpWpwrKUn
- Former Fermilab Physicist Aims To Build A Star Trek-Style Antimatter Engine – They’re considering a Kickstarter to fund their research – http://www.popsci.com/former-fermilab-physicist-aims-to-build-star-trek-style-antimatter-engine?platform=hootsuite
- Star Trek Online: Passing Muster – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9800533
- Star Trek Online: Galactic Development – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9800863
- Star Trek Online: Arc 3.0 Brings You Closer to the Game – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9839893
- STO’s Art Director Shares STO’s iconian Concept Art – https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QWlzd
- Arc Quests can reward free Zen – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9839863-arc-quests-reward-you-for-discovering-new-games
- Star Trek Timelines – Update 1.0.5 for Android & iOS is now LIVE! – https://www.facebook.com/startrektimelines/photos/a.1460584770844057.1073741829.1447338755501992/1748206652081866/?type=3&theater
- Star Trek Timelines Update 1.0.5 Release Notes – https://www.disruptorbeam.com/forums/stt/viewannounce/49376_50
- Star Trek Timelines – Events, Buying Crew Slots for Dilithium and Energy Credits, and more is coming next to Timelines – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1KfIxt_yjQ&feature=youtu.be
- What We Want To See In The New Star Trek TV Series – http://screenrant.com/best-things-star-trek-new-tv-show/?view=all
- Moonves Says Netflix Wanted New Star Trek – http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/moonves-says-netflix-wanted-new-star-trek/154207
- Nicholas Meyer Says 2017 Star Trek Show Will Go In A Different Direction in new Interview – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/nicholas-meyer-says-2017-star-trek-show-will-go-in-a-different-direction-in-new-interview/
- Roddenberry Added to New TV Series Team – http://www.startrek.com/article/roddenberry-added-to-new-tv-series-team
- Angela Bassett says it would be thrilling to be in the new Star Trek Captain – http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/04/angela-bassett-says-it-would-be-thrilling-to-be-new-star-trek-captain/
- Shoreleave has a new Logo – http://statclub.org/news/logo-contest-results.htm
- Shatner To Headline Star Trek: Mission New York – http://www.startrek.com/article/shatner-to-headline-star-trek-mission-new-york
- STLV 2016 Celebrity Guests List – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_guests.html
- Star Trek Returns To Loot Crate In March – A TOS Wearable Item – http://www.startrek.com/article/march-loot-crate-to-feature-a-tos-wearable-item
- SS Antares from Eaglemoss – It’s design is inspired by The Animated Series – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-ss-antares-from-eaglemoss
- Visionary Trek interviews Margaret Clark to talk about Star Trek books coming in 2016 – http://www.visionarytrek.com/the-captains-table-chapter-49-back-and-forth-with-margaret-clark/
- All Issues of Classic Star Trek Starlog Magazine are Free Online – http://geektyrant.com/news/all-issues-of-classic-star-trek-starlog-magazine-are-free-online
- Dayton Ward’s February Writing Wrap-up mentions Headlong Flight, a TNG novel following Armaggeddon’s Arrow – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/february-writing-wrap-up-3/
- Preview Pages From Star Trek: The Classic UK Comics – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/03/preview-pages-from-star-trek-classic-uk.html
- A Star Trek New Voyages episode has been removed from YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCewW49OqYk
- Star Trek Continues – To Boldly Indiegogo – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-continues/x/3523114#/
- Star Trek Continues – Indiegogo video Announcement – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMVBSiyils
- Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Unofficial Blu-Ray Teaser) Season 2 – https://vimeo.com/157758402
- Star Trek Horizon Blooper Reel – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjwkzekh42Y
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 288 – Big Star Trek Discovery News Out of SDCC - July 24, 2017
- G & T Show 287 – Star Trek Weed, Banned Episodes, and Reboots - July 16, 2017
- G & T Show 286 – Villainous Pathology and Star Trek - July 10, 2017