G & T Show 234 – Purple Tonne
G & T Show 234 – Purple Tonne is now available to download. Check it out here. The whole gang is here. Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Kojiro discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse, including: General News, Movie, Television, Gaming, and Convention News. Additionally, they discuss the fall out from the Axanar lawsuit resulting in the cancellation of Horizon’s sequel, Federation Rising, as well a couple of DS9 episodes for this week’s 50 for 50.
(3:08) After this week’s introductions, they jump right into Coffee Klatch. Nick starts off by talking about the recent passing of Prince. The news made him cry. Prince had stayed relevant over the years. Terry compares him to Zappa and Bowie as people that were ahead of their time. He was a philanthropist, a great performer, and didn’t allow his ego get away from himself despite his eccentricities. Janet is working on her Capstone project for the summer, Lonely Writer: Social Media for the Independent Author. She’s been working on memes, YouTube videos, blog posts, cheat sheets, Facebook, Twitter, and scheduling everything. She’s getting an A in one class, but hasn’t heard anything about the other. Mike’s phone bricked on him this week. He shares the troubleshooting process and taking it down to the local store, where they warrantied the phone, which he would be getting on Tuesday, but in the meantime, they provided him with a loaner phone to get him through until his phone arrives and it didn’t cost him a thing for it. He’s satisfied with T-Mobile. Terry and Allen worked and watched Hockey. Their dogs are doing better.
(12:17) They have a lot to discuss, so they move on with the show. They begin with General News. Terry starts with the Twitter account (@StarTrekRoom) for the Star Trek Writer’s Room for the new series that launched last week. They still don’t know who is in the writers’ room for the new series yet. Please follow them on Twitter. Next, Terry discusses the Las Vegas home for sale that features an indoor pool and Star Trek Holodeck doors. Mike talks about the TNG shuttle spotted on Google Maps parked in a repair parking lot not far from the airport in Las Vegas. Terry points out that people have been chasing down the shuttlecraft and have been posting selfies with it. The shuttle craft is a minivan with a shuttle skin laid over it. Nick hopes that it will show up at the convention. He also compares it to the Argo.
This week, Patrick Stewart and several other cast members from Blunt Talk dressed in drag for the show. He had tweeted some photos of him in the make-up room. The Starfleet Academy Experience will be moving to the Intrepid Museum in July. Tickets will go on sale in May. This exhibit along with others are part of various tours going around the world in honor of the 50th Anniversary. Nick is reminded that Patrick Stewart in drag looks like Madame from the Wayland Flowers puppetry show. They also discuss the Star Trek Replicator Challenge. Makerbot has come on board and will be donating one of eight Makerbot 3-D printers to the finalists’ schools. The challenge is intended for students to design 3-D products that would help astronauts eat nutritious meals in the year 2050. The contest ends in May and winners will be announced in July.
(22:48) They move onto Unofficial Productions. This week, Terry talks about Tommy Kraft. They were preparing to interview him about his next project, which was a direct sequel to Star Trek: Horizon. He received a call from CBS Legal asking him not to pursue the project at this time. They had told him that they would be calling other fan productions and telling them the same thing. Terry Farrell tweeted vaguely suggesting that Renegades had also received notice, since she and several former DS9 cast members had joined Renegades. Mike doesn’t know who had received the call and suspects that formal announcements may be made in the coming days and weeks for Renegades, Star Trek: Continues, and New Voyages. The Enterprise Building Project also received a call from CBS Legal. Nick makes it clear that responsibility for this lies with Alec and Axanar. They got what they asked for. Janet reminds everyone about the court hearing on May 9th and this could be part of Does being named. She doesn’t think Tommy is a target, but rather people much more closely involved with the Axanar production. Terry talks about Sean and others that have come out angry against Axanar. Nick points out a Trek writer that had been approached to write an Axanar novel and when he refused, they wanted him to use a pen name. James Cawley has also vaguebooked that he’s starting a new life. Mike points out that he had consistently been posting and sharing photos of his work on New Voyages’ sets. They stopped a few days ago, right before the vaguebook post. Mike hopes more details will be made in the future.
Star Trek Continues had posted a new video for their Indiegogo Campaign. It appears they are moving forward with their work. Episode 6 comes out in May. 7 will be released in the Fall and part of this fundraiser will finish 7. They also want to produce two more episodes, though numbers have not been assigned. They have a plan for the remaining episodes. However, most people are gun shy to donate to another fan production because of what Axanar has done. Nick thinks crowdfunding for fan productions will be a thing of the past because of it.
They try to figure out where Axanar went astray. If they had created the film as originally planned, and then used that as an example of their work in order to build a studio, they wonder if trouble would have been avoided. They also don’t think they would have been as successful with their project if they built it with their own original project. But, building their studio on the back of Star Trek was wrong. Now, their worst fears are starting to happen, that fan films are being shut down. They just have to wait and see who else comes out and mentions that they have been asked to shut down. Mike thinks everyone is considering their options and are crafting their responses. They should be hearing more about it soon. Janet reminds all potential Doe defendants to get their own attorneys since most likely their interests are in conflict with what Axanar wants to do. Terry talks about the Newsweek article that came out about Axanar that discusses the lawsuit. She describes it as a well-rounded and factual column.
Then, she talks about Tommy Kraft returning to his plan for an original production. His Kickstarter for Project Discovery is currently underway. Check it out and support this independent project that isn’t Star Trek, but is being headed by the same person who gave us Star Trek: Horizon. Also, For the Love of Spock Documentary was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival. They are looking forward to seeing it. If anyone knows of an independent project that features Star Trek people, they want to know about it for discussion in this space.
(53:49) They move onto Movie News next. Simon Pegg said that Star Trek Beyond will not end a trilogy. Pine and Quinto have already signed on for a fourth film. Mike mentions that Paramount received a big investment from China to continue beyond the third movie. He goes on to talk about a possible spoiler. The rumor goes that someone on the crew will die in this film. They can reason that since Pine and Quinto have already signed on, they are not the ones that will die in this film. They speculate over who will die in this next film. They start taking bets. Janet thinks it’s Uhura. Mike and Terry think it’s Sulu, unless they are setting up for some misdirection. Terry wonders if it is Scotty. Mike doesn’t want to see Pegg or Urban leave the film. They talk about McCoy in the film. He’s the odd man out in the films. Terry thinks they would replace McCoy with Pulaski. Mike thinks it would be M’Benga. Who would you kill off in Star Trek Beyond?
(59:40) They move onto Television News to talk about Star Trek 2017. They talk about some of the recent rumors. One of them is that it will be set between The Undiscovered Country and The Next Generation. Another rumor is that it will be an Anthology series. They like the idea of an anthology series dealing with a single Star Trek time period for a season. The latest rumor, though most likely true, is that the new show will be filmed in Toronto, Canada. Shows from SyFy Channel and other networks have been filmed there. It’s very possible that this rumor is true.
(1:03:20) Gaming News is next. They start with Star Trek Online. Season 11.5 is now Live! Terry runs through some of the new additions to the game. Nick is unhappy about re-skilling his character. He didn’t want to go through all of that. He had the character exactly the way he wanted. Terry talks about her skill experience. She is pleased with her experience so far. It made more sense as she played through the game on a newer character rather than on a character that she has had at max level for a long time. They talk about the new Featured Episode. Mike growled. He doesn’t hate it. He doesn’t know what happened. The Chancellor was poisoned, but is he dead or not? What about the Federation President? What about the Tellarite? Are any of them alive? Or are they all dead? There was no resolution at all with that story and it pissed him off. Terry talks about the end of the mission and how there was a mention that Archer took care of the Nak’ul leader. It leads to the fiction story that Jesse Heinig wrote about Captain Walker and how a Nak’ul was seen with one of his ancestors. Nick can’t let go of the changes to the skill system. He blames Al. Mike points out that there’s another fiction story from Jaddua. He runs through the story about a student that tracks down a Na’kul that was killed in the past before he could change the future. He thought it was an interesting approach and a good story.
Star Trek Timelines released a new update: 1.1.0. With it, they introduced the Cadet Challenges. They discuss the new features. Nick doesn’t know about it. They figure out that Nick has not updated to the latest version of the game and therefore doesn’t have access to the Cadet Challenges, the Dabo Wheel, and some of the other features and bug fixes in the game. They also talk about the Klingon Event currently going on as well. Mike is doing really well in the event.
(1:19:18) They haven’t talked about Convention News in a while and decide to push forward with it. The first link crosses over Gaming News and Convention News is the announcement that Star Trek Online will be attending FedCon 25. A couple of their developers will be at the convention. Terry is pleased that their marketing department is spending money. The game’s core market is Star Trek fans and they are finally going after their market. Terry provides some details on the history of STO’s attendance at STLV beginning with the TrekRadio and Massively hosted panel with them. Now, they are starting to go beyond STLV and they couldn’t have been more pleased about it.
Star Trek Mission New York has put out a link asking fans to pitch panels for their event. Terry mentions that G & T Show is working with CBS on some panel pitches to make sure their ideas don’t over lap with anything they have planned. She also mentions that they may also work with Priority One on a second panel for the convention. Destination Europe has confirmed some new guests and have set up some photoshoots on the bridges with those guests, such as Sulu and Chekov on the TOS bridge. They also have the TNG and a Klingon bridge as well.
STLV 2016 will kick off for the G & T Show with their crew assembling in New Mexico before the STLV road trip to Las Vegas for the convention. They are still having issues with Creation in determining who they can have as their guests. Creation had announced that they will be preventing anyone that doesn’t have a ticket from entering the convention center. In previous years, people could wander the halls or go to Quark’s Bar. This year, apparently, they won’t be able to get past the ticket line. Mike wonders if they will sell day passes that will get people into the halls and vendor’s room, rather than the panels. Even with that announcement, people can still come and hang out outside of the convention center. The Rio’s other areas will still be open to the public. Terry goes over some of the guest list. The photo ops have launched for STLV. She discusses some of the available options.
Terry wants to find out what’s going on with future Trek conventions. Things had changed so dramatically this year, they think something is going on. She wonders if Creation has lost their license or hasn’t gotten it renewed. They talk about some Creation’s limitations such as how understaffed they are, or how vendors are treated, or how disorganized they seem to be. Nick wonders if it’s the vetting thing that’s causing the issues. Mike suggests that delays in the notifications could be caused because they are holding space for the official license holders first and then back-filling with all of the unlicensed vendors. They are concerned to see some of the friends they had seen in previous years. Terry talks about Reed Pop and wonders if they are going to be the new license holder for future Star Trek conventions. They can handle mega cons which is the direction that CBS wants to take the convention towards. Terry hopes that next year will be Star Trek Mission Vegas and it will be held at the convention center.
(1:44:25) They skip this week’s book news to get to 50 for 50. Mike made a logo for T-Shirts with the quote “You Only Have Yourselves to Blame”. Terry runs through the 50 for 50 and how they came to their listing. This time they are discussing #16: DS9’s Duet and #15: DS9’s The Way of the Warrior. Allen mentions that there are only a few season 1 episodes represented in the top 50 and that Duet’s appearance so high on the list is a testament to the episode. Allen provides the synopsis for Duet and kicks off the discussion. He follows it with the synopsis and discussion of The Way of the Warrior. Next week’s 50 for 50 will be a little bit different. They will rearrange a couple of episodes so that two-part episodes can be discussed together rather than spread out over consecutive weeks. To that end, they will be discussing #14: TOS’s Balance of Terror and #12: DS9’s Call to Arms.
(2:20:10) They wind down this week’s show with Announcements. Terry starts off with a reminder that they want to know which character you’d want to kill off in Star Trek Beyond. Mike picks it up from there and mentions that O Sports Show’s second episode is live and their third episode should be out later today (it is now available). Also, Gates of Sto’vo’kor and Blood of the Nei’rrh have released new Character art for a pair of characters. Be sure to check out Sskald and T’rehu.
Next week, Nick will be breaking in a new studio. Terry and Allen will be out of town on May 8th and 15th. Mike will be in New Mexico. Janet will have another blog after the next filing. She will also be out on the 15th since she graduates the day before. Terry will be in Hawaii for work and Allen will be going there for fun. Terry has five different presentations to make during the conference, including one on Fiduciary Duty. Be sure to join them next week for another purple tonne of news.
G & T Show Links
- O Sports Show Episode 2 – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-episode-002/
- O Sports Show Episode 3 – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-003-thriller-rain/
- Gates of Sto’vo’kor Character Art: Sskald – http://www.gatesofstovokor.com/?p=1203
- Blood of the Nei’rrh: Character Art: T’rehu – http://www.bonromshow.com/character-art-trehu/
- Klingon Invasion at city hall secures funding for Expo – https://www.timminstoday.com/local-news/three-klingons-attend-city-council-meeting-277877?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
- New Twitter Account for Star Trek 2017 Writers Room – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/cbs-all-access-star-trek-2017-production-team-launches-writers-room-twitter-account/
- Quirky home breaks tradition with indoor pool and Star Trek doors – http://www.reviewjournal.com/real-estate-millions/quirky-home-breaks-tradition-indoor-pool-and-star-trek-doors-photos
- Google Maps: There’s a Federation Shuttlecraft parked in a repair lot in Las Vegas – http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/18/11451410/star-trek-tng-shuttlecraft-las-vegas
- Patrick Stewart’s Tweet of him getting made up as a woman for BluntTalk – https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/722251866793316353/photo/1
- Starfleet Academy Experience at the Intrepid Museum opens in July, Tickets go on sale in May – http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Startrek.aspx
- Are you Ready for the Starfleet Academy Experience? – http://www.startrek.com/article/are-you-ready-for-the-starfleet-academy-experience
- Star Trek Replicator Challenge sponsored by MakerBot, ASME Foundation, NASA, and Star Trek – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-star-trek-replicator-challenge
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Gold Delta T-Shirt and other 50th Anniversary gear now available in the Star Trek.com store – http://shop.startrek.com/
- New and upcoming Eaglemoss ships include Aeroshuttle, Mudd’s ship, Mission Scout, and Xindi Reptilian ship – http://www.startrek.com/article/klingon-d7-battle-cruiser-ready-for-action
- Trekonderoga 2016 – http://www.trekonderoga.com/
- Tribeca 2016: See the exclusive trailer for Leonard Nimoy Documentary, For the Love of Spock – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/leonard-nimoy-documentary-spock-trailer
- Star Trek: Federation Rising – Website counting down to fundraiser. It has since been cancelled – http://federationrising.com/
- CBS Reportedly Shuts Down Second Fan-Film – http://1701news.com/node/1151/cbs-reportedly-shuts-down-second-fan-film.html
- Star Trek: Horizon’s Announcement on the Cancellation of Star Trek: Federation Rising – https://www.facebook.com/sthorizon/photos/a.637180853011186.1073741830.621183004610971/1113631538699446/?type=3&theater
- Wil Wheaton’s response on Reddit to Horizon’s Shutdown – https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/4ft129/will_cbs_pull_the_plug_on_star_trek_continues_and/
- Terry Farrell’s Tweet – Implies Renegades may also have been asked to shut itself down – https://twitter.com/4TerryFarrell/status/723131187619868672
- Newsweek: Star Trek Copyright Battle Pits Paramount and CBS Against Professional fan film – http://www.newsweek.com/star-trek-fan-fiction-451320
- Stalled Trek: Prelude to Ax’d-We-Are (An Animated Puppet Parody) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnHe0oIJIs&feature=youtu.be
- Tommy Kraft’s Launches Project Discovery Kickstarter in light of Federation Rising Shutdown – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/startrekhorizon/project-discovery
- TrekGeeks Episode 56: Federation HALTED – http://trekgeeks.com/archives/3065
- Pegg says Beyond doesn’t end a star trek trilogy – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/04/star-trek-beyond-not-the-end-of-trilogy-china-invests-in-paramount/
- Pegg reveals new Star Trek Beyond Plot Details – http://www.empireonline.com/people/idris-elba/exclusive-simon-pegg-talks-star-trek-beyond/
- CBS’s New Star Trek TV Series will film in Toronto this fall – http://comicbook.com/2016/04/22/cbss-new-star-trek-tv-series-will-film-in-toronto-this-fall/
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Front Week 2 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9926743-star-trek-online%3A-temporal-front-week-2
- Star Trek Online: Season 11.5 Is Now Live! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9910803-star-trek-online%3A-season-11.5-now-live%21
- Star Trek Online: Na’kuhl Red Alerts – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9910973
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: Once Per Year – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9915843
- Massively Overpowred – Interview: Star Trek Online’s 11.5 Mid-Season Update – http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/13/interview-star-trek-onlines-11-5-mid-season-update/
- Star Trek Timelines: 1.1.0 has been released for Android and iOS – http://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewannounce/50811_50
- Star Trek Timelines: The Next Faction Event is the Trouble with Klingons featuring 1701 Sisko and Jadzia Dax – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/news/get-ready-for-the-next-faction-event-in-star-trek-timelines
- Star Trek Online: Away Team Ready for FedCon 25 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9917363-star-trek-online%3A-away-team-gets-ready-for-fedcon-25
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: Tears of Hadrian – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9925303-star-trek-online%3A-tears-of-hadrian
- STLV 2016 Sold Out and no one will be admitted into the convention area without a ticket – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas.html
- *** Nog and Rom will be at STLV 2016 – https://twitter.com/CreationEnt/status/721038483284832257
- Star Trek Destination: Europe – New Guests Confirmed and Bridge Photo Shoots on TOS, TNG, and Klingon bridge sets with stars – http://www.destinationstartrek.com/
- Star Trek Mission New York – Fan Panel Proposals – Be Part of the Show! – https://www.startrekmissions.com/Events/Fan-Panel-Proposals/
- STLV 2016 – Latest Guest List – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_guests.html
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Writing Contest: Announcing the Winners – http://www.startrekbooks.com/pages/strangenewworldswinners?intcmp=ihp_bb&cp_date=istb_bb_04132016_stsnwwc
- The Star Trek Book preview – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/04/the-star-trek-book-preview.html
- Legacies Trilogy to Launch with Captain to Captain in July. The Synopsis can be read here – http://www.startrek.com/article/legacies-trilogy-to-launch-with-captain-to-captain
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 288 – Big Star Trek Discovery News Out of SDCC - July 24, 2017
- G & T Show 287 – Star Trek Weed, Banned Episodes, and Reboots - July 16, 2017
- G & T Show 286 – Villainous Pathology and Star Trek - July 10, 2017