G & T Show 242 – Send Lawyers, Ships, & Mantooth
G & T Show 242 – Send Lawyers, Ships, & Mantooth is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen are back discussing all of the latest happening in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse. This week, they discuss Gaming, Convention, Book, and some Movie News. Janet gives us the latest low down on Axanar with the Response to the Countersuit. Plus for this week’s 50 for 50, they cover Sacrifice of Angels. Plus, Nick has rediscovered a show from his youth and is watching Emergency. Don’t miss this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
After this week’s introductions, Nick mentions binging on Emergency on Netflix. It was a favorite show from his childhood. Plus he thinks it has aged well, including Randy Mantooth. Then they mention some of his favorite highlights from the show. Terry shares how the show helped LA County get the word out about Emergency Services, get the funding for it, and gave rise to the 911 system in LA. Doctors at the time were concerned that EMTs would be performing medical services without a license in the field. However, once they realized they could get real time information about the incoming patients over the radio, it changed how medicine was given in the US. Nick recommends everyone check out Emergency on Netflix.
Bobby Sherman became an EMT because of his guest appearance on Emergency. Sherman became a police officer in the 90s. Mike was neither breathing nor 15 when the show aired and didn’t contribute much to the discussion.
Tucker Smallwood Interview and BLB News
Then they decide to change things up this week and begin the show with the latest G & T Show and BLB Announcements, starting with their interview with Tucker Smallwood. It was a fun interview and you have to listen to it. They talk about some of the interview’s highlights. Tucker liked that we were willing to discuss so much more than just Star Trek. We covered the entire scope of his career. Mike thinks he’s open to returning. They didn’t get to talk to him about his cat. But it’s a really big cat, which sparks them to issue a Photoshop Challenge.
Moving on to other BLB News, Scott Ostrowsky with the O Sports Show has released their 13th episode. Mike adds that Straight Outta Gallifrey’s 10th episode was also released this week. And, Star Trek: Starfinder has their second trailer for Season 2 available on their site. Finally, work on the Semantic Shenanigans spin-off continues and they are still looking for a logo — there may be prizes.
They move onto this week’s Semantic Shenanigans. Janet admits to getting the date incorrect in regards to the Counterclaim. The answer has come out. It is what she expected. The full details of Janet’s analysis can be found in her blog post.
She begins by explaining the three types of responses that can be found in the answer, which includes admitting a fact, denying a fact, or there is insufficient information. In a denial, the burden of proof goes to the counterclaimant — they have to prove their point. Janet goes over Paragraph 18 specifically which deals with Peters meeting with CBS employees. However, the corresponding response is in the answer. To help illustrate the point, Mike offers that Nick belly dances on the weekend for tips, but it’s up to Mike to prove that the statement is true.
Now is the time for discovery which will show whether any of this stuff sticks. We will not see much on PACER, unless there’s an objection or some time of motion requiring it. Janet thinks they are sending out subpoenas right now for depositions. She believes it will keep everyone busy until the end of the year with the trial taking place at the beginning of next year. Settlement talks will be ongoing throughout this entire process. We probably won’t hear much until pre-trial motions.
Will Universal Studios get involved?
Janet addresses a few questions directed to her from various sources. She thinks Universal Studios is paying attention to everything happening in the case, because of the Axa-Minions tee shirts. Universal owns the Minions property. Terry explains that the time to name Does has passed, but that is based on information currently available. If during the discovery process information comes to light, additional people may be brought into the case as a third party.
Janet talks about commingling and the issues with Propworx and Axanar, as well as some of the potential sales tax issues in California and other states. She recommends anyone subpoenaed should protect their interests and bring their own lawyer.
Star Trek Beyond Coffee
Terry mentions Star Trek Beyond Coffee. It is a part of the reason behind this lawsuit. CBS is trying to protect their licensees. These deals take months or years to establish. Nick mentions the newly released Axanar teaser trailers. Mike thinks it’s an homage to Alien. Terry doesn’t think it’s as big of a deal. Axanar seems to be trying to solicit more donations from their donors. Then Mike draws attention to the side-by-side comparison of a scene from the new trailer and a scene from Alien. They are nearly identical.
Terry returns to the coffee discussion. She mentions Bye Bye Robot. It took them almost two years before she got her license to sell Star Trek posters. Axanar watered down the coffee license, which these people had paid a lot of money for. Plus the same thing goes for the model makers and other licensees.
Janet briefly talks about the trailers. They consist mostly of recycled stuff. Plus she also mentions the new stuff in the donor store, but describes it as a fire sale, since they are selling old Propworx product catalogs and used Firefly Blu-rays. And they are even overpriced. They are trying to grab cash before it all ends.
Terry briefly mentions a couple of fun tweets of a French Bulldog lying on the ground with a caption referring to a newly designed Enterprise. Someone else took the image and made the doggie jump to warp.
And then they move onto Gaming News. Terry is having so much fun in the new Galaxy Event, which features a lot of crafting. She doesn’t play a lot of missions, but she does jump in game to collect chronitons and began the event with over 600 of them. Mike can see how she is having fun with the event because of it. She says this is how she will be playing the game from now on. Mike and Nick, however, are not having fun with it.
Mike actually plays several times per day. He burns through chronitons as he gets them. At the beginning of the event, he had fun because he had stockpiled items in reserve to go through. But, once he got through his reserves and actually had to play missions to collect the required items, the event stopped being as much fun because he burned through too many chronitons to get the stuff he required. Sure, he can spend a shitload of money to buy chronitons from the store so he could keep on playing. But based on the way he plays, he’s lucky to get through one of the missions before he runs out of chronitons again.
Star Trek Online
Then Nick talks about how frustrating it is when he spends hundreds of chronitons to get a basic component. Mike plays enough to know which missions to avoid for items because of low drop rates and instead will use the cadet challenges to get them. Then he briefly talks about the new Cadet Challenge featuring the ladies of Star Trek; it was introduced with Update 1.2. Also included in the update is a new set of Distress calls. In fact, he tells Nick since last week he was having issues getting 2 star field rations. However, the third mission in the new Distress Call makes getting the field rations he needs so much easier, though it is a bit pricer. He got 6 or 7 for about 200 chronitons. The event ends Monday morning around noon eastern.
They move onto Star Trek Online next. Al Rivera tweeted an image of Grace Lee Whitney as she will appear in STO’s new expansion, Agents of Yesterday. Terry mentions the most recent Al Rivera interview. Mike asks if the new console UI will eventually make it into STO for PC for those players that prefer to play the game with a controller. STO does currently have controller support, but it’s pretty lackluster and he hopes the console UI will make it over. Nick mentions Janice is having issues with her wrist. Because this limits her ability to play using keyboard and mouse, she would prefer to play STO with a controller.
Stephen Ricossa Interview
Terry mentions the Star Trek Online Stephen Ricossa E3 Interview regarding the new Console UI. It discusses the challenge of taking a 72 button keyboard and cramming it into a 16 button controller. Then she briefly mentions the latest before and after lighting effects post with the ESD shuttle bay.
While Terry locates the link, Nick talks about playing the game on another character other than his main. But he hates canons. And he hates the limited arc with canons. Mike talks about the new fiction story by Jaddua. He really enjoyed the story and recommends it. Also, Mike mentions the Temporal Defense Reputation, the Temporal Reputation, and the Temporal Bridge officers. These will be released with the new Agents of Yesterday expansion. The art team has shared more Star Trek Memories. Our friend Thomas Marrone wrote about the art of the TOS ships. Plus there are several more the mission descriptions.
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Another announcement out of E3 was the Star Trek: Bridge Crew. We mentioned it last week briefly. Mike didn’t watch anything from E3 except the new LEGO Dimensions announcement and that was after the fact. Terry covers the Ubisoft presentation. Last week, someone had leaked footage on the new game ahead of the E3 announcement. Price has not been announced yet, but it is a multi-player game. It can be played over the net. But it has to be played with VR devices.
The last game coming out is from Jackpot Party Casino. They are releasing Star Trek: Wrath of Khan. It will feature slots game play from the film with bonus levels from the Trouble With Tribbles. The link takes you to Facebook, so Mike is unsure if the game will be available on mobile or any other platform other than Facebook.
With gaming news complete, Terry wants to cover Product News, since there are so many new products. A couple of years ago, they were begging for more Star Trek products, and now, Mike’s wallet is crying “Mercy”. However, the chatroom is demanding Convention News, so they decide to postpone Product News until next week and focus on Convention News.
First of all, Terry mentions the G & T Show’s STLV news. Their booth is all set. Dayton and Kevin, and Terry and Paula will also be joining us. There is one more secret guest that we cannot mention yet. Nick and the others troll the chatroom. We are waiting to make a formal announcement. Terry is very excited. Schedules are being planned. Nick is looking forward to the tag-team cage match between the writers.
Nick, Janet, and Terry will be at Mission New York. They will be taking interviews and hoping to do some live coverage if possible. They congratulate Mission Log. Plus they will be doing a live broadcast panel during the conventions. Mike mentions that the 100th guest has been announced. It is Bjo Trumble and her husband. They started the letter writing campaign to save Star Trek from cancellation giving it a second and third season. So far as Terry is concerned, their efforts created modern public fandom.
Then Nick mentions some of the people he wants to get in for an interview. Also, MAC Cosmetics will be at the convention. They will be releasing a new line of cosmetics. Creation has reached their goal of 100 guests. While there may be more announcements coming, Terry is not going to go through the entire list again. However, she does mention some of the other new additions.
Up next is Book News. Terry mentions the announcement of Star Trek Legacies Book 3 Purgatory’s Key, and its cover and blurb. Dayton and Kevin are the authors. Then she covers John Jackson Miller’s new book, Star Trek: Prey. It’s the first book in a new trilogy. The cover art for John’s book is the Enterpise E and the 1701-A fighting off some Klingon Birds of Prey. Mike talks about Star Trek: The Official Guide to Our Universe: The True Science Behind the Starship Voyages. It was published by National Geographic and written by Andrew Fazekas. The book examines the real science about some of the destinations visited on Star Trek. As a result, we get to learn about some of the real world analogs to Star Trek destinations.
Fifty for Fifty
50 for 50 is next on the agenda. This week they discuss Deep Space Nine’s Sacrifice of Angels. As usual, Allen provides a summary of the episode before the discussion begins. Terry and the team spend most of the time discussing the problems with the Prophets.
Before announcing the new episodes, Allen addresses some questions about the 50 for 50. And the first was a request for the chart referenced in last week’s show.
Also, someone had asked about how he handled ties. He explains the scoring process. For some episodes, he took it out to a five or more decimal points. But there was only one instance of a true tie. To break that case, he looked at the number of Excellents versus the number of Goods. Those with the higher number ranked better. Because Terry convinced Allen to write another blog post on the 50 for 50, look for that soon. There are four episodes left and they represent the two remaining series. Next week on 50 For 50, they will discuss numbers 3 and 7. These are TNG’s Best of Both Worlds Part 1 and 2.
Then we start winding down the show with announcements. First of all, Terry wishes everyone a Happy Father’s Day. Then Mike mentions the Supplemental Log with Tucker Smallwood and Janet’s analysis of the Axanar Plantiffs’ Response to Defense Counterclaim. These are both on the G & T Show website. Straight Outta Gallifrey’s tenth episode is live. The O Sports Show episode 13 is available on their website. Star Trek: Starfinder’s Second Season Two Teaser is also available. Finally, Semantic Shenanigans is currently in development. But they need a logo — there may be a contest. Terry briefly talks about the Tucker Smallwood and recommend it to everyone.
Join them next time for more news, discussion, and laughs from across the Star Trek multi-verse.
G & T Show & BLB Productions
- G & T Show SL – Tucker Smallwood – http://www.gandtshow.com/g-t-show-sl-tucker-smallwood/
- Axanar Plantiff Response to Defense Counterclaim – http://www.gandtshow.com/plaintiff-response-defense-counterclaim/
- Straight Outta Gallifrey e10 – Go Forward In All Your Beliefs – http://straightouttagallifrey.com/2016/06/16/e10-go-forward-in-all-your-beliefs/
- The O Sports Show 13 – LeBron to Miami – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-013-lebron-miami/
- Star Trek: Starfinder – Season 2 Teaser 2 – http://www.ussstarfinder.com/?p=1147
- Semantic Shenanigans Website is in Development. We need a logo! – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/
- Star Trek Online: Vorgon Conclusions Mission Summary – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10005923-star-trek-online%3A-vorgon-conclusions
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: Army of Me – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10008273-star-trek-online%3A-army-of-me
- Al Rivera Tweet – Grace Lee Whitney in STO – https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/744253446224699392/photo/1?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email
Star Trek Online – 23rd Century Ship Stats – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10015203-star-trek-online%3A-23rd-century-ship-stats
- Star Trek Online Console UI – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10010203-star-trek-online%3A-console-space-ui
- Art of TOS Ships in Star Trek Online – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10019643-star-trek-online:-art-of-tos-ships
More Gaming News
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Defense Reputation – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10019593
- Star Trek Memories: Art Team in Star Trek Online – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10022613-star-trek-memories:-art-team
- STO: Temporal Bridge Officers – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10017373-star-trek-online%3A-temporal-bridge-officers
- Temporal Specialization – Star Trek Online – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10017283-star-trek-online%3A-temporal-specialization
- Star Trek Online: Mission Description: Days of Doom – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9985533-star-trek-online%3A-days-of-doom
Yet More Gaming News
- Digital Slots Inspired by Khan and Tribbles – http://www.startrek.com/article/digital-slots-inspired-by-khan-and-tribbles
- Star Trek Online’s Weekly Before and After – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10025363-star-trek-online%3A-weekly-before-and-after
- STO E3 Stephen Ricossa Interview – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVm8Nt4DvZI
- Star Trek Timelines: “Contingency Plan” Galaxy Event – http://www.startrek.com/article/contingency-plan-galaxy-event
- Star Trek Bridge Crew Trailer – VR Game Reveal with Star Trek Alums 2016 Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8
- Star Trek Beyond Coffee – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnN14U9AINI
- Trek Core: Star Trek Beyond News Roundup – Car Rental and Coffee – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/weekend-star-trek-beyond-news-roundup/
- Amazon – Star Trek: The Official Guide to Our Universe: The True Science Behind the Starship Voyages – https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Official-Guide-Universe/dp/1426216521/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=gts-21-20&linkId=77ac859ad648e9b074bcb844f9d89f60
- Kirk, Picard, and Sarek in more Action in upcoming Trek Novels – http://www.startrek.com/article/kirk-picard-sarek-more-in-action-in-upcoming-trek-novels
- STLV 2016 – 100 Celebrity Guests Announced – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_guests.html
- STLV Events – MAC Cosmetics – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_events.html#maccosmetics
- New Enterprise Dog Jumps to Warp – https://twitter.com/chrisairbud/status/743891845478916096
- Not everyone likes the design of the new Enterprise Dog – https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/743849544484556801
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 294 – Television’s Old Busted vs New Hotness - September 17, 2017
- G & T Show 293 – The Jazz Man Cometh, Baby - September 10, 2017
- G & T Show 292 – Angry Tribal Rantings And Stuff - September 3, 2017