G & T Show 245 – Amish White and Mennonite Porn
G & T Show 245 – Amish White and Mennonite Porn is now available to download. Check it out here. This week Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen are joined by Sunseahl for a new episode discussing all of the latest news coming out of the Star Trek multiverse. Plus they talk about Technology, Convention, Movie, Book, Gaming, and General Star Trek News. Additionally, they discuss Nintendo and the latest news coming out of the Axanar lawsuit in Semantic Shenanigans. For 50 For 50, they discuss the survey’s top episode DS9’s In the Pale Moonlight. And, they get to some Listener Mail received this week. Don’t miss the fun contained within this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
After a round of motorboating introductions, they jump into this week’s Coffee Klatch. Nick worked this week. He vaguely mentions pulling the trigger on something this week. Plus Janet interviewed Dayton Ward this week for her school project Lonely Writer. The YouTube video will be out later this month, which sends Nick into a melt down, since he’s been trying to get Dayton to come on The Gettysburg’s Address for several months now. Nick read the first book in the Legacies series: Captain To Captain. Janet also worked on the wedding blog and mentions a first birthday party for a child. They talk about the party and how some people have a lot more money than sense.
They bring it back to the pre-show discussion of Amish Meth Dealers. Sun is still unpacking. She had to move in two weeks when her landlord sold the house they were in. They welcome her to the show. Mike read Terry and Paula’s Rules of Accusation. It was so good he read the book in a day. He highly recommends it. He is pleased they will be joining them at Vegas. He also played a lot of STO. He’s gotten his Agent of Yesterday character to level 51, though he incorrectly states 46 at this point in the show. Allen and Terry cleaned out their garage this week. They took a full truckload of stuff to Goodwill. Terry also played STO, Neverwinter, and LOTRO.
Mike picks the first topic of the show; he decides to do Technology News. Physicists may have figured out how to get the Star Trek replicator to work and the secret sauce is giant freaking lasers.
Terry selects General News next. First of all, there’s Patrick Stewart singing Country Classics for charity. The five song sampler had sold out within hours of hitting Facebook. Plus its video was hilarious. Furthermore, Netflix UK has added several Star Trek series including: TOS, TNG, DS9, and Enterprise. And then they wonder how Steve currently watches Star Trek. Plus they poke a little fun at Mike’s Nemesis, which gets Terry rolling.
Next, they discuss the mashable article about the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Experience. Their friend Elio at Priority One Podcast went live from the Intrepid Museum to show everyone the Academy Experience. He even snapped a photo of him on the Enterprise D bridge. The Academy Experience is touring. Furthermore, Mike thinks it will be at Vegas and Comic-Con but is not completely sure.
Then, Mike brings up an Anthony Montgomery’s Facebook post about his participation in a History Channel Documentary celebrating Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary. The documentary is set to air in July. However, not a lot of other details are currently known. But they are looking forward to seeing it. Terry congratulates Anthony for his great role on General Hospital.
Next, Nick addresses the chatroom to talk about BetaMax and other failed formats. One of the biggest draw backs of Beta was its 45 minute run time. Then they discuss Murder She Wrote and its Mirror Universe version. And then Terry brings them back to General News. The 50 Artists, 50 Years Art Exhibition will be at Mission New York at the Paley Center For Media after beginning its tour, at Comic Con with a stop over in Vegas at STLV. Members of the Paley will get an exclusive preview the day before the exhibition is opened to the public at Mission New York.
Next, they move onto Convention News. First of all, William Shatner and Jeri Ryan and others will be taking over San Diego Comic Con. Not only will Star Trek Beyond be debuting at SDCC, but they will also have a huge Star Trek presence at the convention. Plus the Star Trek exclusives available at SDCC have made them very jealous. Mike wonders why STLV doesn’t get any exclusives? It’s a shame. And he wants convention exclusives for STLV. Then they joke about some of the Axanar exclusives that will be at STLV and elsewhere. In addition to the exclusives, there will be many SDCC panels.
Star Trek Beyond Premiere
Furthermore, the Beyond premiere will be an Outdoor IMAX experience. Then it will be followed by a live concert performance by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. The panels include: Trek Talks: Science, Smithsonian and Star Trek; Star Trek: The Roddenberry Vault; Trek Talks: Star Trek and NASA Boldly Go; Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection: Designing and Filming Starships; and Star Trek: Five Decades of Comics. As mentioned earlier, the 50 Artists. 50 Years will be displayed there.
Then Nick mentions some of the horror stories he’s heard about SDCC and doesn’t think he would ever go. In contrast, Allen relates his experience and how he enjoyed his time there. This is because he focused on smaller panels. And he spent some quality time with Danny Elfman and the gentleman who created Bloom County, Berke Breathed. Mike makes a personal request to anyone attending Comic-Con. So to anyone going, he would like them to pick up for him a LEGO Dimensions Green Arrow mini-figure. Thank you!
E3 and LA
Then Sunseahl mentions E3’s changes. It was originally a convention open to the public. But now it’s limited to press and other industry insiders. Terry explains why they decided to change. LA couldn’t truly accommodate the crowds with the required infrastructure. Plus Nick would like to attend Dragon Con, but that is nearly as big as it takes six hotels to accommodate the entire experience. Then they briefly discuss Dragon Con. Furthermore, Terry thinks SDCC is one of the things everyone should do.
Nick brings up Shore Leave, and he may not be on the show next week. But Karen Gillan will not be taking interviews during the convention. Since he will be otherwise thwarted, Nick intends to ask her to marry him.
They move onto STLV. They have received their booth assignments this week. STLV has reworked / redesigned the vendors’ room layout. However, the G & T Show will be at the center of the room and they will be near the celebrity autographs. Then Terry describes some of the changes. MAC cosmetics will have the large spot in the vendor’s room. This is Roddenberry.com’s usually spot. Instead, they think Roddenberry will have their own room in the second half of the secondary ballroom, where Quark’s bar usually is.
Since unlicensed retailers are not allowed to attend this year, there may be fewer booths. STO has their booth confirmation but they are not near them. They are negotiating a swap. They hope everyone will stop by our booth to meet them and these special guests: Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Terry Erdmann, Paula Block, and J.K. Woodward.
Amish White, Redux
The conversation degenerates into drugs, porn, Amish, and Mennonites. For the full experience, people should join them in the chat room for the live show.
Star Trek Online
After a few attempts, they get the show back on road with Star Trek Online. Agents of Yesterday went live on Thursday. Nick praises Vic’s role in Star Trek Online. Chris Doohan and the character of Daniels are also fantastic. Mike wanted more of Vic’s character.
Then Nick describes playing with Janice and helping her learn more about the game. Nick rolled an Andorian Engineer female. Terry has an Andorian Tactical officer, and Mike is Tellarite Powered with his Tellarite Engineer. Sun put lipstick on a pig and named her an anagram for Sarah Palin.
Then they mention Earth Space Dock’s small size. They mention their character and ship names. They add some of the missions and their accompanying beautiful maps.
Mike encountered a bug. One of the Temporal missions came along too soon for the rest of the story. He thinks it was because of the level of his character rather than attributed to story progression. They give the devs high praise for their work.
However, Terry doesn’t like that NPCs don’t die. They just stand there. But Mike believes they’re stunned and it’s a feature not a bug. They talk about the Vengeance and the Kelvin Universe Enterprise ship in the lock box. They also mention all of the changes they have seen in the game as they play through some of the existing content. Terry thinks this is a great time to start playing Star Trek Online.
New STO Fiction Story
Mike talks about the new STO fiction story: My Worst Enemy. He enjoyed the story revolving around Mirror Universe Temporal Agents. Nick poses the question about who you would do, Vulcan or Andorian? The conversation degenerates when Mike wonders if Tellarites motorboat.
Star Trek Timelines
Mike moves them forward, when he talks about Timelines. They are putting out a call for players to record a video answering questions about why they play Timelines and what they like about it. The video will be edited and will be part of their presentation at STLV. Instructions and questions are listed in the link below.
They pass the mic to Janet for this week’s Semantic Shenanigans. A few documents were filed this week, mainly for housekeeping. Attorney Andrew Jick has left Winston and Strawn. He was replaced by Diana Hughes Leiden. This is a common occurrence. Janet wishes him well.
Then Terry mentions Loeb and Loeb’s big news. And it has nothing to do with Axanar. Loeb and Loeb just purchased a major law firm in Hong Kong. This will allow them to represent Chinese corporations not only in the US but also in China. She talks about what this will mean for them and what it will allow them to do. Nick talks about Axanar. Terry McIntosh has left Axanar and there has been some drama on that front.
Allen talks about the Nintendo lawsuit. Someone on Kickstarter created a compendium using screen shots of the game. Plus the people commenting on the article have the exact same mindset as those in the Axanar case. They talk about ownership and the perceived stake which people have for things they love and purchase. There is a lot of ignorance revolving around IP and copyright ownership.
Cryptic and Copyright
Terry talks about the conversation she came across in the zone chatroom. A few people were arguing Cryptic had illegally taken Star Trek’s IP by using audio clips and other aspects taken from various episodes of the various series. CBS approves everything in the game. They are fully aware of everything going into the game. Plus Cryptic paid big bucks to license the content from CBS.
Janet thinks people see a lot of unlicensed products and believes they think this stuff is acceptable. They don’t know where the line is drawn, because copyright doesn’t need to be protected as aggressively as with trademark. It’s very difficult to police all of the copyright issues, which is why they tend to target the biggest violators.
Then Terry takes a moment to remind all: Machinima videos fall under the purview of the fan film guidelines.
They move onto Movie News next. Advertisements with Star Trek Beyond have started! Quicken Loans has one for their Rocket Loans; it features Vulcans and Vulcan Corgi. Plus Enterprise Rent-a-car has another. Both are fun and should be viewed. They discuss Terry’s dogs momentarily before moving on to the next news item.
Losing Anton Yelchin
Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg respectively discussed how the loss of Anton Yelchin has impacted on the cast. Mike mentions the interview with Peter Chiang about Star Trek Beyond’s visual effects. He summarizes some of the interview’s highlights. Plus this includes some of the reasoning behind some establishing shots and how science influenced their effects. He suggests everyone check out this interesting and insightful article.
Sulu and Sexuality
They discuss the news about Sulu in the new film. In the Kelvin Universe, Sulu is gay in honor of Takei’s portrayal of the character. The response to the news has been mixed. Terry liked the news. Takei, however, was not pleased. This is because he wanted a new gay character rather than retconning a previously established one. Quinto and Pegg disagreed.
Then Sunseahl explains Takei doesn’t like change and has a history of not liking the new stuff. Terry thinks everyone is right, but believes introducing a new character in the third film might come across as tokenism. An argument erupts between Terry and Nick over the issue. Nick hates that IPs are gender-swapping established characters. He’s particularly angry the new Iron Man is going to be a young black woman. The argument winds down and they discuss people coming out as gay. Nick would have liked to see them create a new character rather than change a backstory.
They try to figure out how much backstory is actually known about any of the characters in the Kelvin Universe. Since Sulu has been announced to be gay, Sun is worried now he’s going to die. This is because we already know someone will die in the film. They hope it’s not Sulu because it would be a continuation of a bad trope. They also hope it’s not Chekov, since it would hurt on a human level rather than on a movie level.
Mike points out very little is known about Sulu’s background in any universe. However, the Animated Series does show Sulu’s wife paying him a visit. Terry points out the Kelvin Universe like the Mirror Universe is completely different. As a result, his experiences could have been different and he could have reasonably been gay. It doesn’t necessarily impact Sulu from the Prime Universe. If they wanted to make a TOS-era character gay, Nick would have chosen McCoy rather than Sulu. They talk about McCoy for a few minutes including his appearance in STO.
Mike squeezes in some Book News before they move onto 50 for 50. They start with the Humble Bundle Comics is featuring IDW’s Comics. They include some Gold Key, New Visions, Crossover comics, and so much more. Fifteen bucks gets all of the comics digitally, while the $25 donation unlocks a print book of a New Visions special. The donation supports Traveling Stories and The Comic Defense Fund.
They congratulate Terry Erdmann and Paula Block for the release of their new ebook novella: The Rules of Accusation. Mike has already read it and loved it.
Next he mentions the slash film article: The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek – The First 25 Years. In the article, the author brings up some of the ideas tossed around for the TMP movie. Shatner ended up picking up on the idea for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. They had a decade to work on it and a lot of ideas were floated before they settled on V’ger.
Nick remembers the importance of TMP when it came out. Today, bringing back a television series for a movie is no big deal. The latest trend is to reboot films as television series. Mike points out they had previously discussed that trend and still would appreciate if Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country were made into a television series.
There are two new comic books coming out. The first is from New Visions which will be retelling The Cage in their photo comic format. And the other comic is Connections and it features TOS-era Kirk waking up aboard the Kelvin-era Enterprise and vice versa. Mike thinks it’s an interesting approach and is looking forward to reading it.
Fifty for Fifty
The 50 For 50 this week is the highest rated episode in their survey: DS9’s In The Pale Moonlight. Allen provides a synopsis of the episode and starts off the discussion. In a couple of weeks, since Nick will not be present next week, they will discuss their honorable mentions and guilty pleasures. These will be episodes from each of the series which they think are worth mentioning but did not make it into the top 50 in their poll. They thank their listeners for taking the poll, listening, and participating in the discussion.
Cooking with G & T
Nick announces he will not be at Starbase Shull for Cooking with G & T since he has work commitments. He will be at STLV but will not arrive until Tuesday night. However, he’s hoping Mike and Steve will be able to figure out a way for him join them remotely as he cooks his dinner at the same time G & T cooks theirs across the space-time continuum.
Back to STO
Nick mentions playing a Temporal mission about the Breen attacking Earth during the Dominion War. Mike quickly explains it was the bugged mission mentioned earlier. Terry and Sunseahl had not played that mission yet. The Enterprise and Cairo were seen fighting in Earth’s orbit. Then this prompted Nick to yell Jelico! They talk about some of the new STO expansion’s other Easter eggs. Mike briefly mentions his new chair.
More about Fifty for Fifty
What else can they do with the bottom ten? They may decide to JJ-That Episode and add some other new segments. Nick asks Mike to share with Paul his ideas about Edith Keeler, Temporal Agent. Mike even adds Keeler was also planning to assassinate Kirk at the theater. Janet wants to write a story about the Garden Gnome of Forever. Mike continues to retcon it while responding to Paul’s comments and questions. But it’s all a bunch of temporal mechanics and headaches.
For Listener Mail, we received a message from Teras. He has created a network of podcasts called the Freebooter’s Network. They have just interviewed Keith R.A. DeCandido about his book The Klingon Art of War.
They move onto Announcements. Mike officially welcomes Live Love Play to the BLB Productions family. Ross has put together a production company. It will be producing a number of media shows, including Super Geeks, Let’s Plays, and a number of other projects are in the works. So, check it out.
Allen reminds them O Sports Show will be doing a supplemental show focusing on Boston sports or Boston Basketball. Sun wonders if they’re going to call it a double play or over time. But Mike says they are currently calling it O Sports Show: Boston, like NCIS: New Hampshire or whatever. And the group responded with a round of laughter.
They wind down this week’s show. Join them next week for episode 246. Nick may or may not be present.
Check Out These Links
G & T Show & BLB Productions
- Live Love Play Launches – http://www.iliveloveplay.com/
- O Sports Show will be introducing a supplemental show O Sports Show: Boston – http://osportsshow.com/
- The Freebooter Network’s interview with Keith R. A. DeCandido – http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2016/07/04/fireside-chats-episode-1/
- *** Physicists Think They’ve Cracked the Star Trek Replicator – https://www.inverse.com/article/4188-physicists-think-they-ve-cracked-the-star-trek-replicator?utm_content=inf_4_3448_2&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=jabra&utm_campaign=CMfacebook&tse_id=INF_9796a3703a2d11e69519013b248da655
- *** Bryan Fuller Promises New Series Will Be Genderblind and Colorblind – http://www.inquisitr.com/3245178/star-trek-ep-bryan-fuller-promises-new-series-will-be-genderblind-as-well-as-colorblind/
- Netflix & Sky 1 Compete for UK Trek Rights – http://1701news.com/node/1270/netflix-sky-1-compete-uk-trek-rights.html
- Star Trek at Comic-Con: William Shatner, more to mark 50th Anniversary – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/05/star-trek-comic-con-50th-anniversary-william-shatner
- How Star Trek Is Attempting to Rule Comic-Con 2016 – http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-star-trek-is-attempting-to-rule-comic-con-201-1783152354
- *** Patrick Stewart Sings Cowboy Classics to benefit International Rescue Committee – http://pstewsings.com/
- *** Netflix UK adds the original Star Trek, TNG, DS9, and Enterprise – http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/netflix-uk-adds-the-original-star-trek-tv-series-along-with-the-next-generation-deep-space-nine-and-a3285116.html
- *** Inside Star Trek: the Starfleet Academy Experience – http://mashable.com/2016/06/30/inside-star-trek-starfleet-academy-experience/#xzjq6BTY6aqN
- *** Anthony Montgomery Facebook – He’ll appear in a History Channel 50th Anniversary Documentary – https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209690596639812&set=a.4492335704610.2184748.1176780606&type=3&theater
- *** Star Trek 50 Artists. 50 Years. A Global Art Exhibition hits NYC in September – http://www.startrek.com/article/art-exhibition-hits-nyc
- Humble Comics Bundle Star Trek – https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-comics-bundle
- Terry Erdmann and Paula Block’s new ebook novella: Rules of Accusation – http://www.startrek.com/article/fireworks-abound-in-rules-of-accusation
- Captain Kirk Almost Fought Jesus Christ in Star Trek: TMP The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek – The First 25 Years – http://www.slashfilm.com/captain-kirk-fights-jesus/#.V3x-MMkN2eI.twitter
- Kirk & Crew Encounter … Themselves in Comic – http://www.startrek.com/article/kirk-crew-encounter-themselves-in-new-comic
- Quicken Loans Star Trek Beyond Commercials – http://1701news.com/node/1267/quicken-loans-releases-two-vulcan-centric-ads.html
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s New Star Trek: Beyond Commercial – http://www.treknews.net/2016/07/08/enterprise-rent-a-car-star-trek-commercial/
- Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg Talk about the impact of losing Anton Yelchin – http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/05/zachary-quinto-and-simon-pegg-talk-about-the-impact-of-losing-anton-yelchin/
- New Details on Star Trek Beyond’s Visual Effects – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/new-details-on-star-trek-beyonds-visual-effects/
- John Cho’s Mr. Sulu Revealed to be Gay in Star Trek Beyond – http://www.towleroad.com/2016/07/mr-sulu-gay/?utm_content=buffer61084&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News – http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
- Zachary Quinto Ain’t Cool w/ George Takei’s Gay Sulu Comments – https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertainment/star-treks-zachary-quinto-aint-cool-w-george-takei/8a7e2db0-d331-4113-a38a-4ce7df018150.htm
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: My Own Worst Enemy – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10058533
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Agents Weekly Rewards – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10057813-agents-of-yesterday-now-available%21
- Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday is Now Available – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10057813-agents-of-yesterday-now-available%21
- Star Trek: Timelines – We Want You! to create and submit a video to be features as part of their STLV presentation – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/sttvideo
- Star Trek Starship Collection: The Enterprise NX-01 Refit Review – https://startrekstarships.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/enterprise-nx-01-refit/
- Hallmark Has Truly Outdone Itself with the new “The Man Trap” Ornament – http://io9.gizmodo.com/hallmark-has-truly-outdone-itself-with-this-new-star-tr-1783376413
- La-La Land Unveils Starfleet Insignia-shaped Vinyl record – http://www.startrek.com/article/la-la-land-unveils-starfleet-insignia-shaped-vinyl
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Badge – http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=978566&pa=PRF-STRK-000050&ecid=PRF-STRK-000050
- Star Trek Beyond-Inspired Dresses & Tunics – http://www.startrek.com/article/beyond-inspired-dresses-tunics
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.