G & T Show 247- Star Trek Beyond
G & T Show 247- Star Trek Beyond is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen are back for their final episode of the G & T Show before making the trek to Las Vegas for STLV to discuss the latest news from across the Star Trek multi-verse.
Book, Gaming, Convention, and Product News are all on this week’s agenda. There are some new happenings on the Axanar Front for Semantic Shenanigans. They also cover the latest information coming from the new Star Trek series in Television News. For Movie News, they provide an in depth, spoiler filled discussion of Star Trek Beyond along with some other noteworthy news items. Don’t miss this extended edition of the G & T Show.
After introductions, which included an improvised bit of Klingons of Long Island, they jump into Coffee Klatch. Nick shares a story about the time he spent in the hospital thinking he was having a heart attack. They table the Shore Leave discussion for later.
Furthermore, Janet has been working on her school project. They will discuss Beyond a little later as well. However, Janet shares a story of seeing John Malkovich at a Whole Foods before going into the theater to watch the film. Mike played games this week: more STO, Timelines, Transformers, and he started playing Pokemon GO. And he shares a story of going to the big park in town and seeing it packed with people playing Pokemon Go. Plus Allen monitored the plumber installing their new tankless hot water system. Terry and Allen now have hot water and are excited.
First of all, they move into Book News. Terry congratulations Dayton Ward for winning a SCRIBE Award for Armageddon’s Arrow. David won one as well for 24: Rogue. It’s Dayton’s first time winning. Then they talk about the new comic Star Trek series. The previous run was discontinued before this announcement. The new series relaunch is based on what happened in Star Trek Beyond. Furthermore, Terry is pleased with the artwork she has seen from the upcoming series. Then Mike mentions the Red Shirt’s Little Book of Doom which is now on sale.
Then they move into this week’s Gaming News. A new wave has been added to the Attack Wing tabletop game. This is a repainted Scimitar. Then Terry talks about the new Star Trek RPG game coming out which uses the 2d20 system. Geek and Sundry interviews Christ Burch about it. But the game isn’t just TOS.
Star Trek Online
Then Mike mentions some of the controversy coming out Star Trek Online revolving around the Latinum-plated Grand Nagus Marauder ship. It seems some people who have supported the game over the years received it as a thank you gift for their efforts. However, the controversy is two fold. First, people are upset they did not receive an email revealing they were qualified to get the ship. It could be due to unsubscribing from STO’s mailing list, not meeting whatever criteria STO required for it, or any number of other issues. Mike confirms that he is subscribed, but was never notified by email with a code, yet had received the ship on his promotions tab. They are still trying to figure out exactly what is going on with this particular promotion.
The other issue is, some people think it’s unfair if only those who spent so much money over the course of the game’s life are entitled to the ship. In contrast, Nick compares it to exclusives at conventions.
Next, they discuss Miner Instabilities, the new queue added to the game. It awards Temporal Marks. Then Mike mentions the log file included with the announcement. Also, he covers the article The Story So Far, which gets people caught up to the story. This is especially useful for people just joining the game because of the Agents of Yesterday Expansion. Hence it’s a great time to jump into the game.
Star Trek Timelines
Then Nick asks about the new Timelines event. And Mike explains the new crafting event, including the story behind the event. The Bajorans, the Klingon Alliance, and the Federation factions are involved. The first phase missed the mark, but the second phase is ongoing. And this event helps shape the direction of the game. The rewards for this event are Angel One Riker, Disguised Kira, and Mirror Universe Garrak.
However, Mike has a Timelines complaint. His crew quarters are maxed out. Plus he currently has Ambassador Fox sleeping in the hallway and will have Disguised Kira sleeping there, too. So he needs more slots. He can’t get any more characters and can’t spend any more money in the game. The maximum is currently at 180. And after seven days, the hallways are vented into space.
Then they cover Product News next with a special announcement. They have decided to release monthly articles showcasing all of the products released in the previous month. Plus the articles will have links, pictures, prices, sizes, and any other information currently available regarding the new licensed products. Also, it will be organized into a variety of categories to help you find the latest products without having to jump from one site to another. They are doing this because of the amount of new products releases. But they will still discuss their favorite product of the week, although they will limit it to only a few items at a time.
Hence this week they mention the Barbies. Mike doesn’t think they are the Target Barbies and are the ones offered at SDCC. Terry mentions the planetary glass set which features several Star Trek worlds, which even includes a Borg shot glass. Mike mentions the adult coloring books featuring TOS and TNG crews coming from Dark Horse.
Before jumping into this week’s big Movie News segment, they decide to cover the latest Convention News first. The news from SDCC will be saved for Television News. Plus Star Trek Beyond premiered at SDCC in the first ever outdoor IMAX event.
Before going too far into Convention News, they make a quick detour for some Semantic Shenanigans. Alec Peters and Axanar took over a BSG panel. BSG fans were expecting a discussion of BSG rather than a Prelude to Axanar showing or a discussion about an Independent Star Trek fan film. These diversions took up most of the panel, rather than Battlestar Galactica. Hatch should not have brought Alec along and allowed him to do so.
Axanar was not given a panel this year since CBS and Paramount were the primary presenters and they are suing Axanar. It’s bad faith on Richard Hatch’s part and could lead him into some trouble for pulling a bait and switch on Battlestar Galactica fans. Terry thinks it smacks of desperation. With the release and success of Star Trek Beyond, Axanar has less to stand on. They are doing everything they can to be a thorn in CBS and Paramount’s side. Because they showed Axanar, this couldn’t have been anything but a planned takeover of the event. It’s desperate and despicable.
Returning to Convention News, they pick up with Shore Leave. Nick was infatuated with Karen Gillian and mentions when he saw her in the halls and in the panels. Then he goes on to cover some of the other notable convention moments. For instance, he enjoyed Michael Trucco’s panel and even managed to ask him a question. He discusses the panel’s highlights. Also, he spent time with Kelly Meding. Plus Janice had her art booth and did well. He met the Pros and talked about spending time with Dayton and Kevin, Terry and Paula, and Dave Mack.
Then, he saw Scott Pearson, half of Generations Geek, and surprised Scott’s daughter. It was great to see the Pearsons and the other authors. Generations Geek is looking to keep the show going after Scott’s daughter leaves for college.
Then Nick mentions Anthony Montgomery, who had knee surgery recently. Anthony works a convention and is a great guest for a small one like Shore Leave. There was a lot of talk about General Hospital and some of the differences between his time on Enterprise and his time on the soap opera. General Hospital is the last of the soap operas. Larry Nemecek was at Shore Leave and is now on the Geek Nations Tour. Shore Leave was some great fun.
Star Trek Las Vegas
They move onto STLV. Nick gets in on Tuesday night, leaving Terry and Mike to set up the booth. STLV is up to 108 guests. They send love to Larry and Geek Nation Tours. For time, they don’t go into the full list, but mention some of the new additions and highlights. Terry is looking forward to some of the panels.
Then they briefly cover Women At Warp, but want to get more information about the controversy that erupted around their podcast. Amy will be hosting the Women of Trek panel. Plus the G & T Show will have a booth. Their guests will be Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Terry Erdmann and Paula Block, and J.K. Woodward. J.K. has a piece in the 50 Artists, 50 Years exhibition. Terry mentions the Klingon piece J.K. created for it. J.K. will be taking commissions at our booth. Terry suggests putting your name on the list early so he can get it done because he sold out quickly.
Star Trek Online Presence
Star Trek Online has announced what they will be doing at the convention. They don’t know if they will be giving away anything new this year. Mike thinks it’ll be the Doctor Bridge Officer again. However, they will be demo’ing the console version of STO. They will have stations set up for it. There will also be a Meet The Devs event on Friday 5th at 7pm at the iBar.
Terry mentions Critericon, which will be held during STLV’s off-hours. Hence it will not be competing with STLV. Plus Mike wishes Adrianne a speedy recovery, as she has been having some throat issues and will be seeing a doctor. If she doesn’t get well, she won’t be going to the convention. But that doesn’t mean Critericon will be canceled, as Jesse and others will be present. Mike hopes she will be able to attend. Jay Galloway mentions the Unofficial STLV Facebook Group will be doing a group photo as well. Janice will also be a vendor. Nick asks everyone to check out her art and support her.
Mission New York
They finish up Convention News with Mission New York. Nick, Terry, and Janet will be in attendance with recording equipment. The convention has added some COSplay judges from Fashion It So.
Star Trek Beyond (SPOILERS!)
They give their SPOILER warnings before going into their discussion, analysis, and highlights of Star Trek Beyond. Everyone has seen it at least once, but Nick and Mike have seen it twice. They mention how this film ranks. Everyone agrees it’s the best of the new films and overall, it hits their top three, although Nick placed it in his top five. Because of spoilers, the discussion of the film will not be included here. If you want to hear what Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen thought of Star Trek Beyond, check out the episode and enjoy them talking about the best of the film and some of the minor problems they noticed.
With most of the Star Trek Beyond discussion winding up, they mention the script for Star Trek 4 is the resurrected script they originally rejected for Star Trek 3 as too Star Trek-y. Then they dip back into the film discussion and mention how well Star Trek Beyond has been doing over the course of its opening weekend.
Then for Television News they discuss some of the latest news reported during SDCC. The new series has an official title: Star Trek: Discovery. There is a video of some concept art of the new show, featuring the ship. It’s also been confirmed; the series will take place in the Prime Universe. However, Mike hasn’t seen any official word and wonders what was the source of the information. If it was mentioned during the panel, no articles have been written about it yet.
The ship’s look has not been confirmed; this was concept art put together for the convention. They try to figure out when the Registry number places the ship in the timeline. They develop a few theories. It could be similar to a VIN number with each digit having a specific meaning. Or it could be something made up randomly. The next thing they have to look forward to is cast announcements.
Then Mike talks about the Netflix and Sky1 bidding war to see who will air the new series. A victor has emerged and it is Netflix. They will be streaming the series to the UK the day after it airs to CBS All Access. Also, Netflix is the official place to watch Star Trek: Discovery in 188 countries. Hence it marks the continuation of the relationship between CBS and Netflix.
Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu all tried to get Discovery before the All Access announcement. Plus the final bit of Television News is TOS will air uncut for the first time in years. Further, this will be with limited commercial interruption on the Heroes and Icons Network. So this will give people the opportunity to watch Star Trek TOS as it was meant to be seen. Subscribe to it in order to watch uncut Star Trek.
STLV Convention Prep Supplemental Log
The chatroom requests we continue sharing our STLV convention prep Supplemental Log. We will share it again as the convention draws near.
Terry has decided to postpone until after the convention the 50 for 50 discussion of episodes which should have made the cut. Plus they will ask fans to stop by the booth to point out which episodes they think are missing. Terry has already gotten some tweets about episodes that didn’t make the top 50. And many of them referred to the DS9 episode Our Man Bashir.
Then they finish up this week’s show with Announcements. Mike starts with STLV. Their guests for the convention include Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Terry Erdmann, Paula Block, and J.K. Woodward.
After the convention, they will be preparing for the 24 Hours of G & T fundraiser. Plus they will be inviting other BLB Productions’ sister shows to join them. Live Love Play has been livestreaming Arkham Knight. They interviewed Steven Weese, and released more episodes of Super Geeks.
Plus the O Sports Show is getting ready to launch their spin off sister show the Celtics Network Talk Show. From what Mike understands the show will focus on the Boston Celtics basketball team. The O Sports Show will focus on a variety of sports from across the country. But this new show is very niche. Nick hopes they will be open to cover more Boston sports than just basketball since Boston is very rich sports town. Mike has updated their site. But the provided graphic suggests it’s only basketball.
Watch Star Trek Beyond. Once is not enough.
No Show for the Next Two Weeks!
There will not be a show next week as they will be trekking out to Vegas. Watch their social media for when they will hold their Cooking With G & T show. Plus there will be some new additions this year. Nick won’t be there in person, but they will find a way to get Nick into that show. Then, they will be doing Vegas. They will be recording from Vegas and will get audio to the home team for editing and blogging. They hope the Uhura necklace with a built-in GPS will be licensed and sold soon.
Janet reiterates the first Product Round up article will be out on August 1st. Visit them at Vegas. And please share their social media sites to help get the numbers up. Finally, they wind down this week’s episode of the G & T Show and thank everyone for listening.
G & T Show & BLB Productions News
- The O Sports Show is preparing to launch The Celtics Network Talk Show – http://osportsshow.com/
- Live Love Play livestreaming Arkham Knight, Interviewed Stephen Weese, and more SuperGeeks – http://www.iliveloveplay.com/
- Massive spoilers in latest Star Trek Beyond trailer – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/07/massive-spoilers-in-latest-star-trek.html?
- Fourth Star Trek Movie A Go At Paramount; Chris Hemsworth Back as Kirk’s Father – http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-trek-4-movie-set-chris-hemsworth-chris-pine-1201787943/
- Paramount Resurrect Rejected Script For Star Trek 4 – http://1701news.com/node/1303/paramount-resurrects-rejected-script-star-trek-4.html
- Stars Go Beyond at World Premiere – http://www.startrek.com/article/stars-go-beyond-at-world-premiere
- Opening Weekend Posters: Star Trek Beyond – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-opening-weekend-posters.html
- Star Trek Beyond: 5 Reasons It Could be the biggest film in the franchise – http://moviepilot.com/posts/4004790
- Trek Beyond Box Office Numbers arrive for early show (Thursday) – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/trek-beyond-box-office-numbers-arrive-for-early-shows/
- Box Office: Star Trek Beyond Dominates Opening Weekend, Blasts Toward $60 Million – http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-star-trek-beyond-ice-age-pets-lights-out-1201821137/
- USS Franklin model coming as Star trek Beyond home video bonus – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/07/uss-franklin-model-coming-as-star-trek.html
- How Star trek Beyond Restores Gene Roddenberry’s Vision in the Best Possible Way – http://moviepilot.com/posts/4006704
- International Broadcasters Set for New Star Trek Series – http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series
- Star Trek TOS Will Air Uncut On TV For the First Time in Years – http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1535920/star-treks-original-series-will-air-uncut-on-tv-for-the-first-time-in-years
- Bryan Fuller Tweets New Star Trek series Captain’s Chair – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/07/20/bryan-fuller-tweets-new-star-trek-series-captains-chair/
- Witness the test flight of Star Trek Discovery coming to CBS All Access in January 2017 – https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/756974219322273792
- Ralph mcQuarrie’s concept art for a Star Trek movie in 1976-1977 – http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/
- Star Trek to Boldly Go as the nuTrek adventures continue at IDW – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/07/star-trek-to-boldly-go-as-nutrek.html?
- Boldly Go Comic Book Series Coming This Fall – http://www.startrek.com/article/boldly-go-comic-book-series-coming-this-fall
- Star Trek: Redshirt’s Little Book of Doom – https://insighteditions.com/product/star-trek-redshirts-little-book-of-doom/
- Armageddon’s Arrow nabs a Scribe Award – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/armageddons-arrow-nabs-a-scribe-award/
- Star Trek Classic and Next Generation Adult Coloring Books Coming From Dark Horse – http://nerdist.com/star-trek-classic-and-next-generation-adult-coloring-books-coming-from-dark-horse/
- Star Trek TNG Fleece Blanket – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ithv/
- Lounge Pants (Star Trek) – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/iqtv/
- Star Trek TNG Enterprise Blueprint Shower Curtain – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ioit/
- Beer Me Up: 2 Star Trek beers are hitting the market just in time for the new movie – http://www.tastingtable.com/drinks/national/star-trek-beer-new-movie-shmaltz-brewing-company?utm_source=liquorcomundefined
- Star Trek Barbies from SDCC are available here – http://www.thebarbiecollection.com/shop/pop-culture-dolls
- Planetary Glassware Set (Star Trek) – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/istg/?cpg=fb
- Five Decades of Star Trek Comics Honored at SDCC – http://www.startrek.com/article/five-decades-of-star-trek-comics-honored-at-sdcc
- For the Love of Spock Trailer – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpjG9HNT5Y
- M-A-C Transports Star Trek to Comic-Con – http://www.startrek.com/article/m-a-c-transports-star-trek-to-comic-con
- Trek Talks: Science, Smithsonian and Star Trek – http://www.startrek.com/article/trek-talks-science-smithsonian-and-star-trek
- Fan’s Love of Trek Leads to Command Green Replica Shirt – http://www.startrek.com/article/fans-love-of-trek-leads-to-command-green-replica-shirt
- Star Trek Starships Sweepstakes Is Underway – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-starships-sweepstakes-is-underway
- Mayim Bialik Visits The Final Frontier – http://www.startrek.com/article/mayim-bialik-visits-the-final-frontier
- The Roddenberry Vault Reveals Lost Star Trek Clips, New Blu-Ray Release Arriving in Late 2016 – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/the-roddenberry-vault-reveals-lost-star-trek-clips-new-blu-ray-release-arriving-in-late-2016/
- Dave & Busters Launches Trek Arcade Game – http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/07/dave-busters-launches-trek-arcade-game/
- Attack Wing Wave 25 – Scimitar (Repaint) – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-wave-25-scimitar-repaint
- Star Trek Adventures Is the First NEW Star Trek RPG In Over A Decade – http://geekandsundry.com/exclusive-star-trek-adventures-is-the-first-new-star-trek-rpg-in-over-a-decade/
- Why Some people didn’t the latinum-plated T6 Grand Nagus Marauder. Unsubscribe is deadly – https://lootcritter.com/2016/07/20/why-some-people-didnt-get-the-latinum-plated-t6-grand-nagus-marauder-unsubscribe-is-deadly/
- Miner Instabilities Queue (Star Trek Online) – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10079983-miner-instabilities-queue
- Star Trek Online: The Story So far – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10080023-story-so-far-part-1
- Mission New York Adds Cosplay Judges – http://www.startrek.com/article/mission-new-york-adds-cosplay-judges
- Star Trek Online: STLV 50th Anniversary – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10082723-star-trek-las-vegas-50th-anniversary
- 50 Artists. 50 Years. Klingons by J.K. Woodward – http://www.startrek.com/artwork/woodward-j-k
- SDCC Battlestar Panel Invaded by Star Trek fan film – https://www.inverse.com/article/18630-fan-films-sdcc-battlestar-star-trek
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 298 – Gaping Writing Holes - October 15, 2017
- G & T Show 296 – Discovery Klingon Language with The Klingon Pop Warrior - October 8, 2017
- Star Trek Timelines – Discovery Mega-Event: A New Anomaly - October 5, 2017