G & T Show 259 – Xenomorphs to the Rescue
G & T Show 259 – Xenomorphs To The Rescue is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen are back with an all new episode of the G & T Show to discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multi-verse. Due to some technical difficulties with Mike, Steve is back and runs the stream and sound board once again. This week they talk about Book, Gaming, Movie, Technology, Product, Television, and General News. They also serve up a hearty helping of Unofficial Productions and Semantic Shenanigans. So you won’t want to miss this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
Mike was experiencing some technical issues and was unable to get the show started on time. Steve helped them out by running the stream and the sound board for the show. When Mike is able to join them, they kick off the show and jump straight into Introductions followed by Coffee Klatch.
First of all, Nick asks who has seen Doctor Strange. Mike has seen it as well. Nick’s wife loved it. Nick thought it was strange seeing a movie with Benedict Cumberbatch without an English Accent. Mike agreed that it was at first, but after a while, it seemed to work. Mike did not know Doctor Strange before seeing the film but enjoyed it. They discuss the film without too many spoilers. Terry has neither seen it nor knows about the comics. However, she did receive the Doctor Strange-themed Marvel Collector Corps box this month. She loves the Doctor Strange Coffee Mug. She thought it looked like a pissed off Admiral Riker. Steve thinks it looks like Elio from Priority One.
24 Hours of G & T
Nick brings up last week’s 24 Hours of G & T. He thanks everyone who participated, donated, and spent time with us. He talks about the mock trial and how much fun it was. Fandom has its problems, but there is nothing more satisfying than to see all of these podcasts come together to support one another. Janet had a hard time keeping a straight face during it. Mike thought it was such a juxtaposition going from the Women At Warp discussion to the Mock Trial. Terry talks about the Star Trek podcasting community and how all of them have a different way of expressing our fandom. Yet they all get along. Priority One is starting to expand. So why compete with one another when there’s no money at stake?
They move onto Book News. Terry couldn’t wrap her brain around the first shared link, despite talking with J.K. Woodward about the idea during 24 Hours of G & T. So the Star Trek: TNG and Aliens Crossover has been announced. And the book’s release date is in April 2017. They discuss the possibilities and explore some additional options. Sun hopes for a Crusher as Ripley moment. Nick poses the idea of Klingons versus Xenomorphs. Mike thinks they would probably make a pet out of them. Janet wants to ship Gorn / Xenomorphs slash. The Xenomorphs would be defeated by Tribbles, until we got the idea of Hortas facing off against the Xenomorphs. They discuss some other Star Trek crossovers, including Laverne and Shirley. The idea of Xenomorph Borg would give them nightmares. They quuick fire ideas about alternative crossovers with Star Trek.
Continued Book News
Nick mentions some of the new trailers he saw during Doctor Strange. They included: Rogue One, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Pirates of the Caribbean. They briefly discuss them before moving on to other book news.
So the November Kindle Deal Program contains four Trek books: TOS: The Entropy Effect; Enterprise: Broken Bow; TOS: The Eugenics War Volume One: The Rise and Fall of Kahn Noonien Singh; and TOS: To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Kahn Noonien Singh. And they retail on Amazon for $1.99 each throughout November. Nick recommends the Kahn books by Greg Cox. Speaking of Greg Cox, his book, Star Trek: Legacies: Captain to Captain is now in the number one position on the Locus Bestseller List. This is the second month on the list; it debuted in the number five position last month. Finally, John Jackson Miller’s Prey: The Jackal’s Trick was released. They got to speak with John during 24 Hours of G & T and even got to play Trivial Pursuit with him. The final book in the Prey series will be released later this month.
First of all, Nick mentions the troll who constantly attacks us for being haters. Nick wears his badge with honor. Terry could care less. Mike starts them off with Unbelievable!!!!! It’s got 40 Star Trek alum and Nichelle Nichols co-produced it. Furthermore, it features a puppet Kirk. Terry talks about some of the people in the film, while Mike reads its summary. It’s supposed to be ridiculous. Mike quickly mentions Pain. The video may not be new, but Mike just came across it. It demonstrates some of the creativity people have.
First of all, Janet talks about the latest coming from Axanar. First, she hasn’t had an opportunity to blog about the latest documents released in the lawsuit. Instead, she’s written blog posts from 24 Hours of G & T. However, she will blog even if the case settles. Janet discusses the documents and the settlement conference. She covers the second deposition of Alec Peters and the missing emails.
Mike mentions he never deletes emails. He stores messages on his computer. Steve also keeps messages. Terry and Janet do not. Even if you lose emails, the messages still exist because online companies like Gmail, Yahoo, and others keep them in case they get subpoenaed. Once new documents come to light, plaintiffs had the right to depose Alec again.
Furthermore, the Defense didn’t even have a copy of the Annual Report that Axanar released last year. However, the plaintiffs shared it with them. The Defense had financial documents as prepared by an accountant. Yet they wanted to keep them Attorneys’ eyes only. However, the court agreed with the plaintiffs to change it from confidential status instead while releasing a summary. They also wanted Peters to certify he had properly searched for all related documents. The court denied the certification. So this in turn caused the dismissal of the entire application for an ex parte order with the exceptions of everything else the plaintiffs had asked for.
GoFundMe Gone Awry
And next she discusses the GoFundMe fundraiser that Jonathan Lane had launched to support Axanar’s operating costs for the next three months. He wanted to raise $45,000 to “keep the lights on”. Yet Peters admitted at Comikaze that renting the studio wasn’t the best idea. Several people commented on the fundraiser that they had raised $1.5 million for a Star Trek film and had yet to produce anything. Only one person donated the minimum so his comment wouldn’t be deleted. The campaign was reported to GoFundMe. Peters told Lane to take it down. Regardless of what happened, the GoFundMe campaign is no longer available and was taken down.
Settlement Talks Implode
Furthermore, settlement talks also happened this week. The first one was in person on Halloween. And the second was a court-mandated conference call. Peters first stated they were close to settlement. However, he wouldn’t settle unless allowed to create an Axanar that would satisfy his fans.
And then Janet talks about why most cases settle. If Peters continues to dig his heels in, the case will be going to Summary Judgement and if that fails, it will move on to trial. Terry talks about why the settlement process broke down and why Lane opened the GoFundMe. Axanar is broke. Peters wants to create Axanar. Yet he will need to go out and ask fans for more money. However, CBS doesn’t want this. Because even if defense won the case and can crowdfund again, they will not be able to secure the necessary funds. Because a lot of donors have been burned too many times already with very little or nothing at all produced. Nick praises Peters for asking Lane to take the GoFundMe down.
An Empty, Unused Studio
They speculate why the studio isn’t being used for other productions while the Axanar lawsuit continues. Sunseahl asks what happened to the private investors picking up the liability of the studio’s operating costs. Janet believes Peters is behind the private investor group since he did offer Terry McIntosh shares in the studio for his work on Ares Digital. Non-profits don’t have shares to offer to investors, only for-profit entities can do that. Coupled with their status as an S-Corp, all goes to show that they are a for-profit group and not the non-profit that they keep touting to donors.
In addition, Janet talks about non-profits in the US and the stance the government takes to protect people. Terry points out that it doesn’t matter if they are in the process of applying for nonprofit status. Furthermore, an S-Corp can write off losses on taxes. Terry wants to see their tax returns. The one thing that seems certain is Axanar is out of money. Terry is aghast in that now Peters feels a responsibility to create a fan film for his donors. His priorities were misplaced.
Mike reminded Janet that Starbase Studios has two fundraisers underway. So the first is a Kickstarter to produce a TNG-era fan film. He doesn’t see a problem with that and recommends people check out the link in the show notes. However, the other is a GoFundMe created to offset costs incurred in moving their studio to a new facility. Janet thinks it’s a poor idea in the current atmosphere. They might be pushing the envelope and poking the bear. Sunseahl thinks they’re the studio which was flooded. Mike wonders if it’s right for them to ask fans to cover those costs, even if it’s only $3500. To him it smells a lot like what Axanar tried to do.
Renegades and Continues
Terry criticizes Renegades and Continues for paying actors and other people for getting this ball rolling. Axanar just took it to the extreme. Because fan fiction writers mainly adhere to the unwritten rules of not making money off fan fiction. And this includes printers, editors, or publishers. Hence these fan films crossed the line when they started paying actors. And, now here we are. So it all got out of hand. Continues and Renegades got the hint when CBS gave them the side-eye. Renegades took a lot of crap for the quality of their product, but they delivered one.
Peters and Axanar just didn’t take the hint. It makes her mad. She is so done with Axanar. Terry cares but she wants this to be over with so everyone can move forward from this. She sends a message to Alec to end this, walk away and hope that you haven’t alienated the fan base enough that they would not support your next venture. Terry wonders if his concern about finishing the project is to avoid a class action lawsuit against him.
Under the guidelines, there is no limit private donor investment. However, they all agree that it’s unlikely Peters will get significantly more money out of crowdfunding. Nick talks about the studio that produced Paranormal Activity. Because an independent studio could produce great films on the cheap by using unknown actors and creative means in their production. It leads to a discussion of New Voyages and Farragut as examples of people creating real fan films.
So Nick thinks Janet is much more accomplished because she is a published author and worked as a real lawyer. So Mike interjects and announces he has signed his first autograph this week on a story published in a book. They are proud of both of them. Nick has had his photos published on magazines.
And then Nick offers to come out to Mike’s house kick in some teeth because of something else that happened this week. Mike explains that he is disabled but repairs computers to help supplement his income. He had a person call him for help this week. He went out, pulled up, and exchanged some words with her from his truck. But when he got out of the truck she looked him up and down, waved her hands between them, and said that she didn’t think he can fix her problem. “From looking at you, I don’t think I can trust you.” They are sorry that happened to him. He was upset. He posted a little about it on Facebook and got a lot of support from his friends and customers. It helped cheer him up. Terry describes him as very professional and recommends him.
Star Trek and Gaming News
So they move on with the rest of the show and quickly run through a lot of the links that they don’t have time to discuss in detail. And they had some interesting discussion topics, such as the History of Female Starship Captains and the Secret Language of Starfleet Uniforms. He does talk about the TNG cast appearing on Perez Hilton’s show for a Home and Family Feud game. Mike described it as hilarious. He also mentions the J.K. Woodward interview on Star Trek.com along with the Trek Talk about bridging Science and Art. Star Trek Online is having a Lifetime membership sale and the Crystaline entity is back. Timelines has replicators now. Items can be converted with energy credits into new items. There’s some limitations based on VIP level.
Technology and Television News
Mike mentions the new wireless bionic eye, similar to Geordi’s from the later TNG films. Terry saw that through the use of stem cells, scientists have managed to restore movement in a quadriplegic. Also, Mike posted on his Facebook page this week an article about Australian scientists who believe they can cure Alzheimer’s Disease using ultrasonic waves. Product News will be posted on our site. Last month’s blog is already posted. For Television News, Bryan Fuller stepped down from his position as Executive Producer but will still oversee production.
They wind down this week’s show with Terry stating that she wants the Axanar case to be over so that everyone can move on. She doesn’t want to see people stop creating fan films. She just wants everyone to return to a semblance of normalcy. Join them next week as they continue to discuss the latest news in and around the Star Trek multi-verse.
G & T Show & BLB Production Links
- G & T Show – October 2016’s Product News Roundup – http://www.gandtshow.com/star-trek-product-news-october-2016/
- and G & T Show – 24 Hours of G & T: The Results – http://www.gandtshow.com/24-hours-g-t-results/
- Sports Show 21 – The Chargers Are Still A Great Team – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-021-chargers-still-great-team/
- Star Trek: The Next Generation And Aliens Crossover Announced – http://comicbook.com/2016/10/29/star-trek-the-next-generation-and-aliens-crossover-announced/
- Four Trek Books In Kindle November Deal Program – http://www.startrek.com/article/four-trek-books-in-kindle-november-deal-program
- Locus Bestsellers, October 2016 – Star Trek: Legacies: Captain to Captain by Greg Cox is number one for its second month on the list – http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2016/11/locus-bestsellers-october-2016/
- The Jackal’s Trick Out Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-jackals-trick-out-now
- Hilarious NSFW trailer for Star Trek Parody Unbelievable!!!!! – http://www.blastr.com/2016-9-12/hilarious-nsfw-trailer-star-trek-parody-unbelievable
- New Home for Starbase Studios! GoFundMe – https://www.gofundme.com/new-home-for-starbase-studios
- Pain – Star Trek Remix – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFgXsXK_gK8
- The TNG Project: A Star Trek Fan Production Kickstarter by David Whitney of Starfleet Studios – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starfleetstudios/the-tng-project-a-star-trek-fan-production
- How to Read the Secret Language of Starfleet Uniforms – http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-to-read-the-secret-language-of-starfleet-uniforms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=keywee&kwp_0=260706&kwp_4=995131&kwp_1=474053
- Remembering TOS Guest Don Marshall, 1936-2016 – http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-tos-guest-don-marshall-1936-2016
- Star Trek The Cruise – Enter to win a seat on one of the 2018 cruises – https://sweeps.promotionexpert.com/star-trek-cruise/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Cruise-Sweeps&utm_medium=Newsfeed&utm_content=Cruise-Sweeps
- and Star Trek Visual Effects Artist Gives An Exclusive Tour of the Amazing Fan-Built Enterprise – http://www.heroesandiconstv.com/stories/doug-drexler-enterprise-fan-set-tour
- Star Trek: A History of Female Starfleet Captains on TV – http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/259118/star-trek-a-history-of-female-starfleet-captains-on-tv
- Exclusive! The Cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation Reunite to Play Home & Family Feud! Watch – http://perezhilton.com/2016-11-03-star-trek-the-next-generation-home-family-feud-exclusive#.WB5UFfkrLct
- Takei’s Allegiance Tickets On Sale Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/takeis-allegiance-tickets-on-sale-now
- Watch: Bridging Science & the Arts Trek Talk – http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-bridging-science-the-arts-trek-talk
- K. Woodward on Klingons and Trek Art – http://www.startrek.com/article/j-k-woodward-on-klingons-and-trek-art
- Star Trek Online – Echoes of Light (Week 2 Rewards) – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10242273
- Star Trek Online – Console Fleet Holdings – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10242323
- and Star Trek Online: Console Accolades – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10230033-star-trek-online-console-accolades
- Star Trek Online – Lifetime Subscription Sale – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10238603-lifetime-subscription-sale
- STO: Community Ship Building – Team Alpha Wins – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10203793-lukari-community-ship-voting-winner
- Star Trek Online: Crystaline Entity Event – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10238433-crystalline-entity-event
- Star Trek Timelines: Replicator Comes To Timelines – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-feature-replicator-comes-to-timelines
- Star Trek Beyond’s Writer Wants to See A Star Trek Cinematic Universe, And We’re So On Board – http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1580570/star-trek-beyonds-writer-wants-to-see-a-star-trek-cinematic-universe-and-were-so-on-board#.WBodutfiZ-E.facebook
- Help Axanar GoFundMe – https://www.gofundme.com/helpaxanar?ssid=792103023&pos=1
- Axamonitor: CrowdFund For Axanar Expenses Abruptly Ended – http://axamonitor.com/doku.php?id=gofundme
- New Bionic Eye That Connects to the Brain Successfully Restores A Woman’s Sight – http://futurism.com/new-bionic-eye-that-connects-to-the-brain-successfully-restores-a-womans-sight/
- Star Trek: Enterprise Complete Series Blu-Ray Set Coming In January – http://www.treknews.net/2016/11/03/star-trek-enterprise-complete-series-blu-ray-set-coming-january/
- Klingon Mug and Collector Lapel Pins Ready to Beam up – http://www.startrek.com/article/klingon-mug-and-collector-lapel-pins-ready-to-beam-up
- Collectible/Usable Okudagrams Now a Reality – http://www.startrek.com/article/collectible-usable-okudagrams-now-a-reality
- Beyond Out Today in Ultra HD, 3D, Blu-ray, and DVD – http://www.startrek.com/article/beyond-out-today-in-ultra-hd-3d-blu-ray-and-dvd
- Bryan Fuller Out as Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner – http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bryan-fuller-as-star-trek-discovery-showrunner-941587
- Will Nichelle Nichols be in Star Trek: Discovery? – http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-30/will-nichelle-nichols-be-in-star-trek-discovery
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 294 – Television’s Old Busted vs New Hotness - September 17, 2017
- G & T Show 293 – The Jazz Man Cometh, Baby - September 10, 2017
- G & T Show 292 – Angry Tribal Rantings And Stuff - September 3, 2017