G & T Show 262 – The Front Page
Front Page news!
G & T Show 262 – The Front Page is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen have returned for an all new episode of the G & T Show to discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multi-verse. This week, they discuss General, Gaming, Product, Book, Movie, and Television News. The Axanar, and Seuss cases are discussed along with a medical tricorder scam concluded this week’s Semantic Shenanigans. Don’t miss out on the conversation in this week’s G & T Show.
After another round of lackluster introductions, they eventually get to this week’s Coffee Klatch. They don’t feel very well. Nick provides a sample of the topics discussed during his recent interview with Marc Cushman for The Gettysburg’s Address. Next time he has Marc on his show, they will be discussing Saturday morning cartoons. Terry talks about Gravity Falls.
Finally getting to Coffee Klatch, Nick worked this week. He had some big tours come up and next week he’ll be at the VA.
Janet is still writing. She broke 100k words. Yesterday marked the 30th anniversary of her admission to the New York Bar. She shares some memories from the day she was sworn in to the bar.
Mike hasn’t done much this week. He did managed to sneak into STO and started running laps for the Winter Event ship. Timelines has a replay event going on right now, so he’s been doing that. However, he’s mainly been playing Transformers Earth Wars watching robots smash robots. Terry has been playing a lot of Neverwinter. She talks a little about it. She got her first character to max level and she still has a lot of things to do. Allen is just here so he won’t get fined.
Mike and Nick Talk Movies
Nick talks about the two new trailers that dropped this week. In addition, they discuss the Spiderman trailer. This film has a different feel to it and they are looking forward to it. Mike has been watching the new Planet of the Apes movies and is preparing to watch the War trailer. Mike was excited to see Vulture as the villain in the new Spiderman film. It’s attached to the Marvel Universe and that helps expand upon it dramatically and they think it has a lot to do with why they are looking forward to this one. Furthermore, they love that they are not doing the origin story once again.
And then there’s the upcoming King Kong movie. Mike heard that it will establish that Godzilla and King Kong are in the same universe so they can eventually do a King Kong vs. Godzilla movie. Because the chatroom posted something, the discussion turns to Scientology briefly and the new Leah Remini Scientology series.
Terry’s New York Adventure
Terry just got back from New York for a conference. Also, she talks about her time in New York and sends shoutouts to everyone that she saw and hoped to see. In addition, she saw the play, The Front Page, with a host of well-known character actors. Terry had a great time. They spend a few minutes talking about the play and some of its more recent incarnations. Furthermore, she also went to the Central Park Zoo. She would have liked to have gone with Allen than be there alone. On the way home, she met a fellow Star Trek fan.
They move onto this week’s announcements beginning with the 4th episode of the Gettysburg’s Address with his conversation with Marc Cushman. They discussed the Golden Age of Television, because Marc has become a historian of television.
They touch on Semantic Shenanigans next. Janet provides a brief update on the latest news beginning with Axanar.
CBS/Paramount v. Axanar
First of all, Janet has read through thousands of pages of documents. She goes over each side’s calls for Summary Judgement. They talk about why certain things were redacted and speculate about the reason for their respective requests. A decision may come out soon, but the decision with citations would come out after the first of the year.
She doesn’t think that most of these motions for summary judgement will succeed. Janet goes on to speculate what could happen if either side does win their motions: appeals including amicus curiae briefs from other notable IP holders. In addition, trial is set for late January. The case can settle at any time and Janet provides a few examples of when that could be.
Dr. Seuss Enterprises v. Gerrold, et al.
Janet has not yet seen an answer on the Seuss case. They are either in default or are seeking counsel. Janet wants to see what happens with it. Semantic Shenanigans will be recording their next episode on January 19th and they will be discussing these cases as well as real life shipping.
Mike has an item for Semantic Shenanigans about a man from Graylake was sentenced to five years in prison because he claimed to have created a Star Trek tricorder. Furthermore, he claimed he had a lucrative contract with Health Canada in order to obtain more than $26 million in funding from investors and businesses. It turned out that there was no device and there was no contract. Janet describes this as criminal fraud, which is why it resulted in the prison sentence. Terry compares it to Thernos. She talks about them and what they had done.
Up next on the G & T Show is General News. Star Trek Set Tours announced on Facebook this week that they will be rebuilding the 11 foot Enterprise miniature to display on their sets. Hazen Paper Co. has won an award for their Star Trek packaging. They got their award for their work for the Star Trek TOS Blu-Ray. Hazen also creates the program covers for the Super Bowl.
Star Trek Online
First of all, the winter event is going on. Terry got Beth in there before leaving for New York. Mike has only been running the race for the Breen ship. Nothing else really grabbed his attention. The other bit of news coming out of STO this week concerns their changes to the game’s minimum specs. They will no longer support Windows XP with some video cards no longer work. Terry goes over some of the new changes. Direct 3D 11 will be required. They recommend some new video cards. Terry’s computer is already four years old. If you have an old machine, you may need to give it a facelift or get a new rig.
The R & D pack promotion comes up next. They created an Infinity R & D pack to grant ten Lobi crystals or your choice from a list of ships. The holiday promotion requires players to spend $100 in zen in order to get 4 R & D packs for free. Furthermore, the ships include the Jem Hadar and other rare ships.
Nick sends a shout out to Canaffle.
The new fleet holding unlock is for pistols on display. Terry talks about Fleet Holding in STO to any new players. Finally, Nick uses the fleet base when he need quiet time in the game.
Star Trek Timelines
Timelines will introduce some new features in their next update. They will add more crew slots. In addition, they revamped the faction shop to include Legendary and rare crew. In addition, they will also be introducing Weekend Advanced Cadet challenges featuring rare (blue) quality crew. The rewards will be replicator fuel that will have a better chance to obtain an item from the replicator without the heavy expense of using your inventory items to get it. They will also be adding new supply kits that will reduce chroniton costs in missions, increase energy credits rewards, and crew experience. Furthermore, they will last 24 hours and can be mixed and matched with other boosts. They are also closing the battle arena in order to rebalance the Commander level. The leader board will be reset.
Before discussing the new Attack Wing addition, Terry talks about Star Trek Adventures. They will create miniatures. Furthermore, there will only be figurines of individuals but no ships. They recommend players use the Attack Wing ships to play the game. Mike wants to use his Eaglemoss ships instead. Terry is pleased that these companies are supporting each other. Getting to the Attack Wing news, there is a new Defiant Repaint being released.
Terry addresses a question from the chat room about STO’s 3D prints. From her understanding, they should be available during the second quarter of next year. They have to resolve a few issues first. She describes the way it should work. From the ship tailor, a player customizes their ship and then clicks the Order button to buy a 3D model of the ship. Some ships, such as the Iconian ship has floating items on them and right now those can not be 3D printed yet. Once they work it out, they will be made available.
Star Trek Adventures
Since they mentioned Star Trek: Adventures, Mike mentions an email they received from Baz regarding his experiences with the Adventures playtest. Mike reads the message. The other email they received this week was from Al Rivera regarding Chase Masterson’s charity, Pop Culture Hero Coalition. He wanted us to help spread the word. They are selling T-Shirts to support their charity to combat bullying. They discuss it briefly while Mike starts Skyping really badly.
First of all, USAopoly has announced funedibles. They are collectible toys shaped like food. Furthermore, two fandoms are included right now: Ghostbusters and Star Trek. Cup Kirk, Spock Tart, and Gorn Bread Muffin earn a few laughs.
Another product news article lists the top gifts for Trek fans. Although the list was curated for a UK audience, they can be obtained in other countries as well from alternate sources as well. Terry mentions some of the items included in the list. WeLoveFine is offering a holiday sale, which includes the Wesley Crusher Sweater among other things.
First of all, Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore and John Jackson Miller made this month’s Locus Bestseller List. Purgatory’s Key hit #1 this month and Hell’s Heart clocks in at #4. Pre-order Dayton’s upcoming book Hearts and Minds now. In addition, Mike is reading the Prey novels and wants to see how the TNG crew moves forward from the events in the Prey novels. Terry mentions that Hearts and Minds is loosely related to From History’s Shadow and Elusive Salvation. David R. George III’s next DS9 book, The Long Mirage, has had its cover revealed. It’s a unique design for the DS9 novels. Terry reads the synopsis from the novel.
Furthermore, Star Trek Magazine has a new issue available. New subscribers can receive a TITAN Captain Kirk figure. They discuss the figure and its ripped shirt. It sparks a debate about the number of times Kirk’s shirt ripped. With the help of the internet, they get to the bottom of the ripped shirt issue.
In addition, New Visions by John Byrnes has a couple of issues coming out. It’s a double header! The Hidden Face and The Hollow Man. Be sure to pick those up.
Finally, David Mack is now working on his first Discovery novel. Mike wonders if this is a novelization of one episode or the season, or if it’s a supplemental story. Janet and Terry think it’s a complementary novel and not a novelization.
For movie news, they discuss the speculation that emerged of the photograph tweeted out by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung sitting in front of computers with the Bad Robot figure nearby. The assumption is that they have started writing the script for the next Star Trek film. Mike jokes that they are actually working on the sequel to Paul. We know that it will feature Chris Hemsworth reprising his role as Kirk’s Dad.
First of all, Television News has a couple of items, but they fall into the realm of rumor. According to Fuller, while he was working on Discovery, the theme of the show was Understanding Each Other. Now that Bryan Fuller has left, it remains to be seen whether that theme will continue. It leads to the next article which speculates that the new series will deal with a secret peace mission with the Klingons. Furthermore, the author lays out his case and offers some of the information revealed about the series. Finally, there hasn’t been any other casting news made public yet.
Nick reads a public service announcement regarding Santa Con. Terry missed a gathering of local cosplayers while she was in New York. They talk about football briefly before ending this week’s show. Finally, they remind everyone to check out some of our sister podcasts on BLB Productions. Email them or send them a voice mail. Join them next week for more Star Trek fun.
G & T Show and BLB Productions News
- Gettysburg’s Address 4 – Marc Cushman – http://www.gbaddress.com/2016/12/gettysburgs-address-4-marc-cushman/
- Semantic Shenanigans’ Axanar Defense Objection to Plantiffs Motion – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/axanar-defense-objection-plaintiffs-motion/
- Furthermore, Semantic Shenanigans’ Defense Declarations / Leave to File Doc Under Seal – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/defense-declarations-leave-file-doc-seal/
- Semantic Shenanigans’ Axanar Plaintiffs Objection to Defense SJ Motion – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/plaintiffs-objection-defense-sj-motion/
- BeKind T-Shirt supporting Pop Culture Hero Coalition – https://www.bonfire.com/bekind-for-2017/
- Pop Culture Hero Coalition website – http://www.popculturehero.org
- Star Trek Set Tours is planning to rebuild the Original 11 foot miniature of the USS Enterprise for display – https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekTour/photos/a.10150213878010934.352705.43727400933/10154968499215934/?type=3&theater
- To Boldly Go: Hazen Paper Co. wins award for Star Trek Packaging – http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2016/12/to_bodly_go_hazen_paper_co_wins_award_fo.html
- Grayslake Man Sentenced for Bilking Investors with Star Trek-Inspired Medical Tricorder – http://patch.com/illinois/grayslake/grayslake-man-sentenced-bilking-investors-star-trek-inspired-medical-tricorder
- Star Trek Online’s Updated System Requirements are coming soon – http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1225790/updated-system-requirements-for-star-trek-online?sso=eyJuYW1lIjoiIiwicGhvdG91cmwiOiIiLCJjbGllbnRfaWQiOiIxNDQzOTY4OTgxIn0%3D+a03c7830fb9572aae25a8bf7b1a7122a4219fc0a+1481402103+hmacsha1
- In addition, STO’s Special Holiday Promotion – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10302833-%27tis-the-season-to-treat-yo%27self%21
- Star Trek Online’s Infinity R & D Pack Promotion – http://www.startrek.com/article/stos-infinity-rd-pack-promotion
- Star Trek Online’s K-13 Fleet Holding Special unlocks – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10294223-k-13-fleet-holding-special-unlocks
- and STO Fiction – Tales From K-13 Part 3 – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10295413-tales-from-k-13-part-3
- Star Trek Timelines – Exciting New Features in 1.6.0 Coming Soon – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2016/12/9/exciting-new-features-in-160-coming-soon
- Finally, Attack Wing: USS Defiant Repaint – http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-u-s-s-defiant-repaint
- USAopoly is Excited to Announce FunEdibles – http://usaopoly.com/blog/usaopoly-excited-announce-funedibles
- The Best Christmas Gifts for Star Trek Fans – http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/12/the-best-christmas-gifts-for-trekkies-trekkers-and-all-other-star-trek-fans/
- Holiday Sale on WeLoveFine Trek Products – http://www.startrek.com/article/holiday-sale-on-welovefine-trek-products
- First of all, Dayton Ward with Kevin Dilmore and John Jackson Miller holds two spots on Locus Bestseller List for December 2016 with their Trek novels – http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2016/12/locus-bestsellers-december-2016/
- Fog of Ward – Hearts and Minds: Now available for pre-order! – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2016/12/10/hearts-and-minds-now-available-for-pre-order/
- Also, first look at the cover of David R. George III’s upcoming DS9 novel: The Long Mirage – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-cover-of-ds9-the-long-mirage
- New Issue of Official Trek Magazine Out Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-issue-of-official-trek-magazine-out-now
- IDW’s John Byrne Doubleheader Out Wednesday – http://www.startrek.com/article/idws-john-byrne-doubleheader-out-wednesday
- Star Trek’s Simon Pegg hints that he might write the next movie – http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-treks-simon-pegg-hints-that-he-might-write-th/1100-6446086/
- Secret Peace Mission Looking Likely for Star Trek: Discovery – https://www.inverse.com/article/24889-bryan-fuller-star-trek-discovery
- Finally, the theme of Star Trek: Discovery – Understanding each other says former showrunner Bryan Fuller – http://trekmovie.com/2016/12/08/theme-of-star-trek-discovery-is-understand-each-other-says-former-showrunner-bryan-fuller/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 280 – All Access to BLB Audio Productions Cereal - May 28, 2017
- Press Release – Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Star Trek: The Klingon Empire - May 23, 2017
- G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens - May 21, 2017