G & T Show 263 – Electric Menorah
G & T Show 263 – Electric Menorah – download it here. For the final episode of the year, Nick, Terry, Mike, Janet, and Allen welcome Steve. And they discuss all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multiverse. However, technical difficulties with Terry’s mic caused a late start. So as a result, they have a short show this week. They discuss all manner of Star Trek News. They also manage to squeeze in a couple of Unofficial Productions, some Semantic Shenanigans, and a rant about Facebook and some of their policies. Don’t miss out on the final episode of the G & T Show for 2016.
Terry’s technical difficulties delayed the show’s start. Hence they rush through this week’s introductions and bypass Coffee Klatch, since the chatroom got most of it during the pre-show, including semitic shenanigans all about Janet’s electric menorah. They jump into this week’s BLB Productions announcements, beginning with a pair of new episodes from the O Sports Show and three new blog posts from Semantic Shenanigans.
Speaking of Semantic Shenanigans, they record their next show on Monday. Janet gives a preview with a discussion of the Motions in Limine from this week. Terry and Janet inform people what a Motion in Limine does. Essentially, both sides and the court clarifies what can and can’t be presented during the trial in order not to bias the jury. This sets the ground rules for the trial. The Defense has tried to prevent Christian Gossett and Terry McIntosh from testifying.
Janet thinks a better strategy would be to get them on the stand and try to discredit them during the trial. Because this would avoid confusing the jury. Because this can happen when mentioned names have no connected testimony. She believes the Defense did this to bolster their appeal since she doubts they will win this case at this stage. They speculate about the appeal process as well as the Supreme Court if the case were to make it that far.
In addition, both sides have tried to exclude purported experts. Terry and Janet discuss the Daubert rule and how it works to weed out experts from those who simply claim expertise. Janet compares Reece Watkins to John Van Citters. The Defense tried to get Watkins as an expert witness and bar Van Citters from testifying as an expert. Then Janet talks about Professor Henry Jenkins who praised Axanar’s use of a female captain as being somehow groundbreaking. However, Jenkins neglects to acknowledge Captain Janeway of Voyager. He has a fantastic education However, he does not seem to be informed when it comes to this matter. Therefore, he should not be used as an expert witness unless his report is heavily redacted in order not create an uninformed bias in the jury.
Summary Judgment Motions
Mike asks if the Judge had ruled on the Motions for Summary Judgment. Not yet! Tomorrow’s oral arguments have been canceled. Klausner doesn’t need to hear everything rehashed once more. Plus, with the holidays coming, the court will try to clear some things out. They don’t need more coming in. Trial will happen at the end of January and they don’t expect rulings until the first week of January or so.
They thank Janet for her patience and her work covering the case for them before moving onto Unofficial Productions. The first item comes from the people that created the Picard Make It Snow video. The new parody is It’s a Wonderful Deep Space Nine. It was a fun take. Terry wonders if they will be making a new one every year. The next item is a CinemaSins video that covers everything that was wrong with Star Trek: Beyond.
First of all, Terry passes to Mike to talk about the Klingons. Three actors have been announced to portray Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery. Mike’s excitement was flatlined. He doesn’t know these people and hopes to see what they do in the role. Terry talks about the roles that Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, and Mary Chieffo have played and the description of the roles they will play in the new series.
However, another bit of Television News really got Mike excited. Sonequa Martin-Green, who played Sasha on The Walking Dead, has been cast as the series lead. Mike describes her as a badass in The Walking Dead. While he is excited to see her joining the cast, he is sad to see if they end up killing her off. They hope she will stay on TWD since their seasons are split. Hence it could work with some scheduling.
In addition, they discuss some of the rumors, speculation, and hate accompanying the latest announcement. The hate that has come up surprised them and Terry gets Mike to talk about what he’s seen.
Furthermore, Mike came across an article bemoaning Star Trek: Discovery’s diversity and called for more white people. And it spurred an moan from everyone on the panel. Terry mentioned speculation and rumors that Ms. Martin-Green’s character will not be human. Maybe she could be an undercover Klingon. Mike and Terry likes the idea in principle. However, they both don’t like the idea that just because she’s black that she will be the undercover Klingon. Mike hopes it is not true. He’d like to see her deal with an undercover Klingon. It would be an interesting twist. Mike thinks that Sonequa would be a great Klingon. However, we have a concern that she will be stereotyped based on her race which is not cool.
First of all, Timelines has an event for new crew slots in the next update. In addition, the server portion of the next update has gone live. Crew slots, Advanced Cadet Challenges, Replicator Fuel, and Faction stores have Purple and Gold quality officers, and finally, the PVP issues are resolved. The player portion of the update will be available soon.
Star Trek Online
For Star Trek Online, the 3D printing company that was to print player starships has folded. They could not keep up with the demand and couldn’t scale properly to meet it. 3D printing is still a new and slow process. It is disappointing news. Eucl3d made their software open source and sharing it with other companies that may be able to do it. But, for now 3D printed starships is dead. The technology must improve, which will take time.
Speaking of ship models, Terry shared a photo from Doug Drexler featuring the Eaglemoss Enterprise J. Doug is excited and Terry thinks it’s very pretty. Mike talks about the difference in molding and casting versus 3D printing. Molding and casting is an old technology that can scaled up very easily and quickly. However, 3D printing cannot as of yet.
More on STO
The Junior Officer Weekend is going on now. And it merged with the Academy Scanning Event. However, Mike doesn’t know if this merge is permanent or if it will be a one off due to the holiday. That leads them to the Winter Event. Mike had some trouble with the latest update. His characters had the spins. Therefore this kept him out of the game for several days. It turns out this is a known issue with controllers being plugged in. Once the controller was removed, he was able to get back in. He has run the race for the ship event but has not tried the fishing event yet. Steve and Terry discuss the fishing event, which has a slightly different feel from the fishing event in LOTRO, which Terry is more familiar with.
Attack Wing has previewed the new repainted Borg Cube.
However, they don’t have time to talk about all of the General News. Hence Mike picks the Star Trek Cast and Stephen Hawking explore the quantum realm in new short film. He talks about the film. Zoey Saldana is watching Simon Pegg’s cat when it falls through a quantum hole. She contacts Stephen Hawking to help her get it back. It is fun and educational. Mike recommends it. Terry chooses to talk about the Roddenberry Vault interview with Rod Roddenberry. Furthermore, the Okudas posted on Facebook that it had already sold out on Amazon, which is phenomenal.
Furthermore, Mike misses Facebook, which spurs a discussion of Facebook’s policies. First of all, Facebook suspended Mike for something he didn’t do. Someone reported him, claiming he had multiple accounts and for using a fake ID. Yet both are untrue. He supplied his ID to Facebook as they required, but it has yet to be remedied. In addition, Mike thinks it may be a two week ban. No one likes Facebook’s policies on banning and censorship. Allen offers a suggestion. If you don’t like what you see on someone’s news feed, don’t look, block it, or unfriend them. But don’t report them. Don’t make the company censor you. That’s ridiculous.
In addition, Mike explains that because of their actions in getting him banned from Facebook, they have created a dire circumstance for him. He’s disabled and cannot communicate with his friends and family because of this. Terry, Nick, Janet, and Allen send a personal message to whoever did this.
However, they won’t get to a lot of the links. Instead, they touch on a few items quickly. Product News has a lot of great stuff so check it out and look for the end of the month blog, too. For Book News, TNG Mirror Universe comes out soon, with a butch, sleeveless Picard and a Borg Data. J.K. Woodward did the artwork. This comic will be given away for free on Free Comic Book Day. Other comics coming out soon includes Spock getting assimilated by the Borg in the Kelvin Timeline, and the Green Lantern / Star Trek adventures continues with a new sequel series. A new book announced this week – Star Trek Cats. And what’s not to love with that! Finally, Terry quickly goes over the first 30 guests for STLV 2017.
So before ending this week’s show, Mike wants to quickly draw attention to one piece of technology news he thought was exceptional. BMW’s New HoloActive Touch System Is Star Trek Tech for your car. Since this new technology puts a holographic interface not on your windshield but in midair that watches finger movements to indicate what you are trying to do. Furthermore, it offers hepatic feedback when used, giving you the ability to touch the holographic interface. Therefore, please check out the other technology news in our show notes.
Finally, Terry makes an announcement. First this will be the final episode of the G & T Show for year. There will not be a show for the next two weeks. She thanks her co-hosts for their work this year. She asks what everyone will be doing before winding down this week’s show. Terry and Allen will be celebrating their anniversary and will be visited by the Ferris Anomaly. And Nick plans for a lot of sex over the break. Janet will be making potato latkes and lighting the electric menorah. Terry wants to talk about TNG next year for their 30th Anniversary and wants your ideas. So please email them or leave them a voice mail with your ideas. Finally, they wish everyone happy holidays before ending this week’s show. Join them in the new year for the next episode of the G & T Show.
G & T Show & BLB Productions Links
- Sports Show 022 – Steven Is Going Bowling – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-022-steven-going-bowling/
- Sports Show 023 – “Shoe In” – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-022-steven-going-bowling/
- Plantiff’s Reply Brief in Support of Motion for Partial Summary Judgment – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/plaintiffs-reply-brief-motion-partial-sj/
- Defense Reply Brief in Support of Motion for Summary Judgment – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/defense-reply-brief-support-motion-sj/
- Defense Application for Leave to File Document Under Seal – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/defense-application-file-document-seal/
- A new Star Trek Christmas Classic in “It’s A Wonderful Deep Space Nine” – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/12/11/new-star-trek-christmas-classic-wonderful-deep-space-nine/
- CinemaSins: Watch Everything Wrong with Star Trek Beyond – http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/watch-everything-wrong-star-trek-beyond
- First of all, Star Trek Timelines – Earn Free Crew Slots and More changes in 1.6.0 – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2016/12/12/earn-free-crew-slots-and-more-changes-in-160
- Star Trek Timelines – Build Nots for Server 1.6.0 – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2016/12/15/build-notes-for-server-160
- And New Features for Timelines – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-features-for-timelines
- In addition, EUCL3D Shuts Its Doors – https://eucl3d.com/
- 3D Ship Models Program Canceled as Manufacturer Closes – http://www.mmorpg.com/star-trek-online/news/3d-ship-models-program-canceled-as-manufacturer-closes-1000042472
- Furthermore, Dataminers on Tribble Uncover New Space Sector – http://www.mmorpg.com/star-trek-online/news/dataminers-on-tribble-uncover-new-space-sector-1000042503
- Star Trek Online – Junior Officer Weekend is going on now and has merged with the Academy Particle Scanning Event – http://www.startrek.com/article/stos-junior-officer-weekend
- Finally, Attack Wing: Borg Sphere 4270 Preview – http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-wave-28-borg-sphere-4270-repaint-preview
- First of all, Star Trek: Discovery Finds Its Klingons – http://geeknation.com/star-trek-discovery-finds-its-klingons/
- In addition, Walking Dead Star Lands Star Trek: Discovery Lead – http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/walking-dead-star-lands-star-trek-discovery-lead-1201942648/
- First of all, Viacom-CBS Merger Is Official Dead – http://geeknation.com/viacom-cbs-merger-is-officially-dead/
- Star Trek Cast and Stephen Hawking explore the quantum realm in new short film – http://mashable.com/2016/12/12/quantum-is-calling/#qj2fe2_zcqqo
- 12 Monkeys Casts Game of Thrones and Star Trek Actors – http://nerdist.com/12-monkeys-game-of-thrones-star-trek-hannah-waddingham-faran-tahir-exclusive/
- Furthermore, Star Trek Actor Michael Dorn to Perform at Orlando Shakespeare Theater – http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/the-artistic-type/os-michael-dorn-star-trek-shakespeare-20161214-story.html
- In addition, Wil Wheaton subtly trolls Rogue One screening with Star Trek scarf – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/15/rogue-one-star-wars-wil-wheaton-star-trek-scarf
- How Star Trek Won Its Place in History (Video 1) – https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/watch/how-star-trek-won-its-place-history/vp-AAlC6ZO
- Star Trek Stars Reveal Their Favorite Villains (Video 2) – https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/star-trek-stars-reveal-their-favorite-villains/vp-AAlBUxD
- Revealing Audition Stories From Star Trek Stars (Video 3) – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/HFym7jUQrixf_knPkWSq5U_J7jCQqB9O/revealing-audition-stories-from-star-trek-stars/
- And How Star Trek’s Tech Changed the World – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/a7_XXhaVeFUAyVorFgrqS_zZHQbR0HDO/how-star-trek-s-tech-changed-the-world/
- Hacksaw Ridge, Star Trek, and Deadpool Lead Makeup Oscar Contenders – http://variety.com/2016/film/in-contention/hacksaw-ridge-star-trek-deadpool-lead-makeup-oscar-contenders-1201944550/
- 50 Artists. 50 Years Exhibition Touches Down in London – http://www.startrek.com/article/50-artists-50-years-exhibition-touches-down-in-london
- Rod Roddenberry Opens The Roddenberry Vault – http://www.startrek.com/article/rod-roddenberry-opens-the-roddenberry-vault
- First of all, NYU Researchers work on their own Star Trek Holodeck – https://www.inverse.com/article/24052-nyu-star-trek-holodeck
- Real-life Star Trek Tricorders about to start consumer testing – http://www.businessinsider.com/x-prize-tricorders-consumer-testing-2016-12
- A real-life version of the Star Trek tricorder is being shut down and customers are furious – http://www.businessinsider.com/a-real-life-version-of-the-star-trek-tricorder-is-being-shut-down-and-customers-are-furious-2016-12?utm_source=feedburner&%3Butm_medium=referral&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)
- Furthermore, Star Trek-style tractor beam: key part of futuristic microscope setup – https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-style-tractor-beam-211152121.html
- Machine Learning in Microsoft’s Translation A.I. Right Out of Star Trek – https://www.inverse.com/article/25200-microsoft-ai-universal-translator-star-trek
- In addition, BMW’s New HoloActive Touch System Is Star Trek Tech for your car – http://www.thedrive.com/news/6532/bmws-new-holoactive-touch-system-is-star-trek-tech-for-your-car
- Finally, Scientist May Soon ‘Beam Up’ Animals Star Trek-Style – http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/scientists-may-soon-beam-up-animals-star-trek-style/
- First of all, the complete Star Trek: Voyager DVD Set Coming In March – http://www.treknews.net/2016/12/12/complete-star-trek-voyager-dvd-set-march/
- Mega Bloks Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Collector Construction Set is on sale on Amazon for 60% off – http://amzn.to/2hGY51I
- Mobile Reviews The Star Trek Combadge – http://www.androidcentral.com/star-trek-combadge-one-beam
- Run the Death Star or Command like Kirk from these bean bags – https://www.cnet.com/news/death-star-captain-kirk-command-chair-bean-bag-covers-think-geek-star-wars-star-trek/
- Star Trek Kirk’s Command Chair Bean Bag Cover – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/johv/?cpg=cj&CJURL=&AID=10746449&PID=5320033&SID=14469X712999Xba66bfa79cb4df11533ed7f5d60604a5&CJID=2617611&cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=
- And the Star Trek Schematic Duvet Cover and Pillow Cases – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjjo/
- In addition, Star Trek Borg Duvet Cover and Pillow Cases – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjjs/
- Star Trek TNG LCARS Duvet Cover and Pillow Cases – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjjt/
- Furthermore, the Star Trek Starfleet Academy Duvet Cover and Pillow Cases – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjjr/
- Star Trek Schematic Illuminated Display – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjhp/
- Star Trek Matchbox Playing Card Set – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjmt/
- Uhura Long Sleeve Pajama Set – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjvg/
- Spock Trek the Halls Tee – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jnoi/
- Finally, Star Trek TNG Vegan Leather Corset Top – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjuj/
- First of all, IDW to Tell Mirror Universe Tales of Star Trek: TNG for free Comic Book Day 2017 – Including Borg Data – http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/12/idw-to-tell-mirror-universe-tales-of-star-trek-the-next-generation-for-free-comic-book-day-2017-including-borg-data/
- Spock Getting Assimilated by the Borg is Star Trek perfection – https://www.inverse.com/article/25233-star-trek-boldly-go-spock-borg
- The Green Lanterns are stuck in Star Trek’s Kelvin Timeline in the next Star Trek/Green Lantern Crossover – http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-green-lanterns-are-stuck-in-star-treks-kelvin-timel-1790157724
- Star Trek Cats. Need We Say More – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-cats-need-we-say-more
- Finally, First 30 Guests for STLV 2017 Announced – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-30-guests-announced-for-star-trek-las-vegas-2017
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- Press Release – Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Star Trek: The Klingon Empire - May 23, 2017
- G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens - May 21, 2017
- Star Trek Cats And The Cat Pun Meme Contest - May 18, 2017