G & T Show 264 – Season 6: REBOOT
It’s reboot time!
G & T Show 264 – Season 6: REBOOT is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, and Mike have returned from an extended hiatus with the intention to reboot the show to its once glory. So to that end they have made some changes. One thing hasn’t changed and its their discussion of the latest news in and around the Star Trek multiverse. So this includes General, Television, Gaming News, and Semantic Shenanigans. Furthermore, it also includes some General Announcements about G & T Show’s new direction. They have reintroduced their discussion topics segment. Therefore, this week they spend some time talking about the portrayal of some racial, ethnic, and other groups, especially Native Americans, on Star Trek.
First of all, they start their first show of the New Year with introductions before jumping to Coffee Klatch. They talk about their respective holidays briefly. Terry describes some of the changes the show will undertake. Also, this includes returning to the core panel of hosts, consisting of her, Nick, and Mike.
Allen, Steve, and Janet are still involved with the show and will return when their respective skills are required. Meanwhile, you can listen to Janet and the ongoing discussion of business, fandom, and more over at Semantic Shenanigans. Terry quickly runs through some of the latest happenings going on with the Axanar trial. Motions in Limine have been filed. Essentially, the judge lays down the rules of combat for the trial. G & T Show will also be cutting back on the news links. This is to go back to some general discussion of Star Trek. In addition, the chatroom wants to see Ask Dayton return. However, Mike points out that requires them to send in questions for Dayton to answer.
They jump to General News. So it will now include tidbits from all of their various news categories. Terry sends a shout out to everyone that attended the Star Trek: Cruise. She also congratulates John Van Citters for renewing his vows with his wife during the cruise. It looked like so much fun. The next one is next year. Shatner headlined this year. George Takei will headline next year.
Terry jumps to Star Trek Online next. The Tzenkethi are coming. They all like the design of the alien, though for vastly different reasons. Doug Drexler’s NX Refit will be added to Star Trek Online in the future. In addition, the ship will soon be available from Eaglemoss as well.
They shift gears to Television News to discuss Star Trek: Discovery. It is supposed to be released in May. Doug Jones will once again be portraying a heavily made-up alien for the new show. Also, they will begin shooting the series next week. And everyone is excited to see it. Terry talks about the twitter account for Nick Meyer’s Dog. It’s hilarious and filled with Star Trek stuff and the occasional leak from the new production. So be sure to follow Stella Star Trek Dog on Twitter.
For Product News, the complete DVD sets for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise are coming out. This will allow people to buy the entire series rather than each season respectively.
This Week’s Discussion Topic
So Nick asks about Native Americans on Star Trek. Mike states that TAS had an American Indian on the bridge of the ship for one episode. Nick remembered the group of Indians from TNG that Wesley aided. However, Nick forgot about Chakotay and was sad this was such an easy character to forget. They talk briefly about Chakotay, especially how the writers had created their own tribe. The writers did this rather than pick an existing one and focus on it. Uhura was Swahili. Chekov was Russian, but Sulu was a generic Asian.
While Terry uses the EU as an example to show that even if a nation is part of a larger organization, they don’t lose their cultural identity. In addition, Mike responds with another of his far fetched theories about Picard as an English speaking Frenchman. He thinks that Picard was French throughout TNG, and his translator is what we heard. Hence Picard had selected the British accented voice to represent him in the translator’s settings. It was like a voice and language pack someone would download for their GPS.
Star Trek: Discovery
And then the conversation shifts toward Star Trek: Discovery. So Terry wants to see some interplanetary political discussion. The characters are learning how to get along together. Nick wanted clarification on whether or not Spock was the only Vulcan in Starfleet or the first Vulcan that graduated from Starfleet Academy. Mike thinks that he may have been the first one that graduated from the Academy. He had read some of the Enterprise novels that described that there was a lot of division and segregation between species and each species had specific roles they played for the early Federation. Perhaps with Discovery, they are finally starting to integrate the various species.
In addition, they think that if Gene Roddenberry had the budget, he would have shown a lot more aliens on the crew of the Enterprise. The Animated Series showed a lot more aliens on the crew than on TOS. Nick mentions that Keith R.A. DeCandido is rewatching TAS for his articles for TOR. Speaking of TAS, Mike brings the discussion back to Native Americans and Dawson Walking Bear, the Comanche pilot who appeared in an episode. Mike adds that Walking Bear was originally conceived for an undeveloped TOS episode.
Marvel Netflix Series
They take a detour to talk about the Marvel Netflix series and whether or not Terry can handle them. Terry talks about Shooter and how she can’t watch it either, despite Eddie McClintock being in the show and ultimately killed off. The characters in the Netflix series are great, but because of the violence and some of the subject matter, she can’t handle it. Daredevil’s violence, Jessica Jones’ and the mind manipulation that occurs that forces people to do things against their will, including of a sexual nature. Luke Cage would be all right for the most part.
She wonders what Discovery will do with the new show. Nick thinks it’ll be on par with what Netflix is doing — essentially, raising the bar. They wouldn’t mind cursing, even cursing in an alien language. Terry always thought DS9 never went far enough and hopes that Discovery will. They talk about medicine in Star Trek and how clean medicine in TNG was. They discuss several films and how the violence was handled with them, in an attempt to ascertain exactly what Terry could handle. She wants more of what we had seen in the pilot of DS9 throughout that series and that’s what she wants to see with the new series.
Terry asks the group if they think Veterinarians would make better doctors in the Star Trek universe. They each offer their thoughts on the subject. Vets are probably the most flexible for treating different species.
Winding down this week’s discussion, they get to announcements. Mike reminds everyone of the changes the show is undertaking and suggests everyone check out Semantic Shenanigans. The O Sports Show released a new episode around the new year and may have more. If you like sports, check them out, because they certainly do. Live Love Play, Ross is playing video games. He streams a lot of his game play on Twitch and on YouTube. he’s been setting up partnerships and getting some interesting things going there.
Also, some listeners expressed confusion regarding Terry’s post about STLV. She clarifies it. G & T Show will not be attending STLV this year as a group. Furthermore, Terry may attend as a fan but that will be the extent of it. In addition, she is unimpressed with the cost and quality of service from Creation, especially when compared to ReedPop. So, this year, they will not be attending STLV and will instead focus several smaller, local conventions instead. Terry wants to cover Shoreleave, Starfest, and others. Nick wants to go to Salt Lake Comic Con, while Mike wants to visit some local cons as well.
During the recent contract negotiations, there was a discussion of changing the time for the start of the show. However, the discussion is still ongoing. They will keep you informed if there will be any changes made.
Everyone sends their love to friend of the show, Black Magnum. He has been in the hospital and has been diagnosed with ALS. They are here for him. Everyone was shocked by the news and wish him well.
They try to praise Mike. Steve got promoted this week. Janet is still helping them with their social media.
Mike wants to hear from our listeners what they think Picard’s broken translator would sound like. Send us a voice mail message, email, or post on Facebook. Also, they want question for Ask Dayton. Finally, they conclude this week’s reboot show and invite everyone to join them next week for another episode of the G & T Show.
BLB Production News
- Semantic Shenanigans – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com
- O Sports Show – http://www.osportsshow.com
- Live Love Play – http://www.iliveloveplay.com
- JJ Abrams Says He’s Done With Reboots: “I’m more excited about Original Ideas” – http://people.com/awards/golden-globes-2017-jj-abrams-done-with-reboots/
- Veteran Actor to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award – http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2017/01/10/veteran-actor-to-receive-lifetime-achievement-award
- Space Chess is here, but no one is playing – http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/space-chess-is-here-but-no-one-is-playing
- Star Trek TNG celebrates 30 years in 2017. Rare Behind the scenes info made available – http://www.inquisitr.com/3869420/star-trek-tng-30-years-2017-behind-the-scenes/
- Sci-Fi Blockbusters are Trading Violence for Technophobia – https://www.inverse.com/article/26069-technophobia-blockbusters-violence-science-fiction-pas
- Star Trek Beyond’s Idris Alba is Raffling Himself Off for Valentine’s – http://epicstream.com/news/Star-Trek-Beyonds-Idris-Alba-is-Raffling-Himself-Off–For-Valentines
- Celebrating Dress Up Your Pet Day … Trek-style – http://www.startrek.com/article/celebrating-dress-up-your-pet-day-trek-style
- Star Trek: The Cruise – Day One Recap – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-cruise-day-one-recap
- also, Star Trek: The Cruise – Day Two Recap – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-cruise-day-two-recap
- Star Trek: The Cruise – Day Three Recap – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-cruise-day-three-recap
- ST: The Cruise – Day Four Recap – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-cruise-day-four-recap
- Star Trek: The Cruise – Day Five Recap – http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-cruise-day-five-recap
- Star Trek Online: The Tzenkethi Are Coming – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10340523
- Star Trek Online: Season 12: Reckoning – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10348243
- STO’s First Anniversary – http://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/01/star-trek-timelines-first-anniversary/
- Star Trek Timelines Sends Picard Back two Centuries – https://www.inverse.com/article/26403-star-trek-timelines-mobile-games-q-picard-convergence-day
- also, Star Trek Timelines: Convergence Day Comes to Star Trek Timelines – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2017/1/10/convergence-day-comes-to-star-trek-timelines
- Star Trek Timelines: The Undiscovered Country: The Future of Star Trek Timelines – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2017/1/12/the-undiscovered-country-the-future-of-star-trek-timelines
- Saldana’s hope For Star Trek IV – http://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/01/saldanas-hope-for-star-trek-iv/
- Chris Hemsworth Ditches Movie Cancellation Rumors; Zoey Zaldana Toss Her Side of Story – http://www.universityherald.com/articles/59865/20170111/next-star-trek-4-update-chris-hemsworth-ditches-movie-cancellation-rumors-zoey-zaldana-toss-her-side-of-story-video.htm
- Doug Jones on His “New Breed” of Star Trek Alien – https://www.inverse.com/article/26258-star-trek-new-alien-discovery-saru-doug-jones
- Star Trek: Discovery to begin shooting on January 24th – http://trekmovie.com/2017/01/13/star-trek-discovery-to-begin-shooting-on-january-24th/
- Nick Meyer’s Dog – Stella Star Trek Dog Twitter Account – https://twitter.com/StarTrekDog
- Starship Intrepid has released Duty of Care – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTIouG2191U&feature=youtu.be
- Star Trek fan has Gorn-again experience – http://www.sanluisobispo.com/entertainment/celebrities/article126601089.html
- Naked Spock Beats Down the Borg in Star Trek Boldly Go #4 – https://www.inverse.com/article/26286-naked-spock-star-trek-borg-fight-boldly-go
- Not Your Grandma’s Brooches Available Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/not-your-grandmas-brooches-available-now
- New DS9, VOY, & ENT complete sets on the way – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-ds9-voy-ent-complete-series-sets-on-the-way
- Kirk & Spock Statue Paperweights Ready To Beam Up – http://www.startrek.com/article/kirk-spock-statue-paperweights-ready-to-beam-up
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 294 – Television’s Old Busted vs New Hotness - September 17, 2017
- G & T Show 293 – The Jazz Man Cometh, Baby - September 10, 2017
- G & T Show 292 – Angry Tribal Rantings And Stuff - September 3, 2017