G & T Show 267 – More Than Meets The Eye
G & T Show 267 – More Than Meets The Eye is now available to download. So check it out here. This week Nick, Terry, and Mike to discuss the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multiverse. Also on the agenda for today is Television and Gaming News. Several discussion topics are presented including Klingons, updates to Star Trek aliens from series to series, and for the primary topic this week, Star Trek adversaries and villains. Don’t miss out on the insightful discussion in this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
Following this week’s introductions, they jump right into Coffee Klatch and what they have been doing over the last two weeks. Terry had her gallbladder removed, while Nick had a combination of plague and ebola, and Mike had a stomach bug that had camped out in the bathroom.
Mike is almost finished with the third book in the Prey series, and says it is very good. His dog was injured, too. They talk about Terry’s surgery and her scars. For her first surgery, she found the process fascinating. Allen stayed in a waiting room with monitors to provide real-time updates. These reminded them of an airport’s arrival and departure screens. Nick shares some of his own surgery war stories before going back to discussing his bout with the flu. With Mike’s stomach bug, he’s been drinking lots of fluids. Nick thinks he’s overdue for another surgery.
Nick and Mike watched Legion this week. They talk about the new Marvel series. Mike did not know Legion and often found himself confused. Nick explains a little about Legion and the first episode of the show. Legion and Taboo are some great shows FX has been producing. Legion is part of the X-Men portion of the Marvel Universe. Mike thought as much since they had specifically referred to mutants in the show, which only the X-Men are able to do. Nick comments on the language of the show, which surprised Terry that a cable channel like FX would do so.
Over the Air Television
The conversation shifts to digital over-the-air television. Mike says it pales compared to the analog of his youth. Back then, over-the-air television offered almost 13 channels. But now with digital conversion, he’s lucky to get three or four. Yet it is specifically because back then, everyone had the large antennas on their roofs allowing them to grab signals from farther away. However, many people no longer have large antennas. They now rely on small indoor digital antennas that can’t compete. Although digital promises more, most people don’t have the necessary equipment to fully take advantage of it.
They cover a leak from Discovery. Terry asked Mike about the potential new Klingons. It has created a little bit of a kerfuffle within the fandom. The design looks more alien than previous incarnations. Mike says each series / era of Trek has redesigned the Klingons. Commander Kruge served as a bridge between TOS and TNG. This change could represent another intermediary stage between Augment virus (flat foreheads) and ridged Klingons. Or this could be another race of Klingons, like human Asians and Africans. Nick adds they could be from another planet within the Klingon Empire.
Terry wonders why fandom has such issues with the appearance of the Klingons. This happens when shows update the appearance of various aliens to make them more alien. Mike explains that technology and ability to make aliens more alien has evolved from TOS which every alien appeared to be human and in TNG onward, they were humans with prosthetics. With Discovery, they have the ability to make them look truly alien, by utilizing better make-up and prosthetics techniques and even incorporating CGI elements into the makeup. He remains open to it and wants to see what they do in the series before making up his mind. The conversation discusses some of the various evolutions that other aliens have undergone over the years, including Trill, Andorians, Gorn, and more.
Nick wonders if they are Klingons at all. It prompts Mike to talk about Klingon culture and JeghpuwI. Nick provides some World War II history knowledge of how the Nazis used Koreans on D-Day. However, Mike doesn’t think this is a different race or species. Instead, it could be a red herring.
In other television news, IMDB credits Emily Coutts for at least two episodes as a helm officer on the series. Her ship is currently unknown. Chris Obi will play a Klingon for the series. The link features Chris being driven around Toronto. And he seems excited to be part of the project, although he never admits that he’s working on Trek in the video.
The conversation shifts to the design of the ship. Terry didn’t like it at first, but it’s growing on her. Mike immediately saw that it looked like the IDIC symbol and liked it right off the bat. He admits the design seemed raw, but generally approved of the idea. Nick thought a child designed it. Terry referred to it as a rust bucket that gathered a lot of love. In response, Mike mentions similarities to Serenity from Firefly. Nick says Fox will reboot Firefly with one condition: Joss Whedon must be involved.
A Look at Twitter
In addition, Terry mentions a new Twitter account called 30 Trek Challenge. So with the 30th Anniversary of TNG, they have set 30 challenges to celebrate the anniversary. The first challenge: name your favorite TNG Season One episodes. Nick sends a shout out to James Kerwin and Kipleigh Brown. Terry praises Kipleigh’s Kuumaarke in the latest STO featured episode. Nick hasn’t had a chance to play it yet since he’s been ill. Terry speaks briefly about the episode before Nick mentions talking with James recently about appearing on The Gettysburg’s Address. It leads him to mention a couple of movies that he had not seen before: The Buddy Holly Story and The French Connection. Nick is given the news during the show by the chatroom that retired general Harold G. Moore has died. Nick talks about him briefly.
Terry gets them back on track with Television News. She talks about the sneak peak at Star Trek Discovery’s uniforms. These came from the recently released Star Trek Discovery’s Behind the Scenes Teaser video. The uniform shot showed a shoulder, featuring a Delta badge. Mike came across an article. It speculated that in addition to Enterprise, Star Trek Beyond’s USS Franklin’s uniforms also inspired the new uniforms. Therefore, they transition to evolve to the TOS uniforms. They finish up the discussion of Television News by talking about CBS All Access.
In addition, they return to the discussion of Kipleigh and Star Trek Online. Terry appreciated Kipleigh’s performance. The episode marks the introduction of the Tzenkethi to the game. She thinks they’re an enemy that people will have fun shooting at. Terry likes the storyline and thinks a lot more to the Lukari will be revealed. She doesn’t want to spoil the episode for anyone, and has also been playing the Anniversary event, trying to get Beth into the Anniversary ship.
Furthermore, Terry listened to Foundry Roundtable for a little while this week. She talks about the Foundry, and played a couple of missions this week. However, they were lackluster starter missions, hardly worth mentioning by name. Nick explains that he hasn’t played much lately, since he’s been so busy.
This Week’s Discussion
So for our discussion topic, Nick wants to discuss Star Trek’s villains and wants to exclude Klingons from the discussion as they have spent the most time during the entire stretch of Star Trek as the Federation’s allies. Mike chimes in that the Klingons have never really been villainous. They were adversarial, which was even seen beyond TNG. He wouldn’t classify them as a villain. They end up using the Klingons as a sort of measuring stick to compare some of the other species to.
Nick starts them off with the Ferengi. They started off adversarial and were to be the big bad for TNG. However, they fizzled out and settled into the Ferengi from DS9. They clarify the topic and go with adversaries and villains. Following the Ferengi, they discuss the Borg and the Borg Queen. And then they move onto Dukat and the Cardassians, the Romulans and Sela, and the Undine (Species 8472). Also, they discuss the Founders and the Dominion, the Xindi and the Sphere Builders, Vulcans, and Kahn and the Augments. Finally, they get to artificial intelligences such Androids (Data) and Cyborgs (The Borg). They finish up the discussion with a discussion of uploading human consciousness into an Android body.
Mike goes into more detail about Star Trek Prey providing some insight into the book series during the discussion about the Romulans in order to compare and contrast them with the Klingons. He highly recommends the book series. During the Xindi discussion, Nick recall Tucker Smallwood and recalls the great interview with him. Therefore, they recommend everyone give that interview a listen.
Finally, they wind down the discussion of villains and adversaries, they move onto this week’s announcements. Nick is currently in negotiations with three authors to appear on The Gettysburg’s Address. Straight Outta Gallifrey recorded a new episode. Also, Mike will edit it this week and will get it out soon. Mike reads a statement from Ross about what’s new with Live Love Play. So leave us a comment, voicemail, or email with your thoughts on our discussion.
In addition, they address a quick question from the chatroom about STLV. They may not be attending STLV. The cost of General Admission is steep and can be better utilized by attending other smaller local conventions. Nick adds that he’ll be at Farpoint next week, and hopes to speak with Nicholas Meyer. They conclude this week’s show and invite everyone back next week for an all new episode of the G & T Show.
G & T Show and BLB Productions Links
- Here’s Who Will Pilot the Starship in Star Trek: Discovery – https://www.inverse.com/article/27103-emily-coutts-star-trek-discovery-c
- Chris Obi Is Going To Become one of Your Favorite Trek Stars – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/01/29/chris-obi-going-become-one-favorite-trek-stars/
- Star Trek: Discovery Behind-the-Scenes Trailer Gives First Glimpse of Costumes, Captain’s Chair – http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-1201974424/
- How Star Trek Beyond Uniforms Could Connect to Discovery – https://www.inverse.com/article/27575-star-trek-discovery-uniforms-star-trek-beyond-prime-timeline-canon-kelvin
- Discover the Ultimate Guide to Star Trek: Discovery: News, Plot, Casting & Connections to TOS – Possible Main Theme has been revealed – https://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-tv-show-news-trailer-all-you-need-to-know/4076895
- Sneak Peak at possible Star Trek: Discovery Klingons – http://i.imgur.com/NPKS5yg.jpg
- Hilarious Video Compares Star Trek Beyond and Lethal Weapon 3 – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/01/29/hilarious-video-compares-star-trek-beyond-lethal-weapon-3/
- Chance Encounter – A Star Trek Fan Film – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuMFDtpjA3M&feature=youtu.be
- Wonderful Fan Made Trailer for All the Star Trek Movies – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/02/09/wonderful-fan-made-trailer-star-trek-movies/
- DS9 Documentary Underway – http://www.startrek.com/article/ds9-documentary-underway
- 455 Films is crowdfunding a new documentary about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/09/deep-space-nine-doc/
- Indiegogo – What We Left Behind: Looking Back At Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc/#/
- Star Trek: Cacophony (A Captain Sulu Adventure) Audio Drama – https://www.discogs.com/J-J-Molloy-Star-Trek-Cacophony-A-Captain-Sulu-Adventure/release/9815473
- February – March 2017 Trek Conventions and Appearances – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/01/february-march-2017-trek-conventions-and-appearances/
- Meet Star Trek stars at Original Series Set Tours in Upstate NY – http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adirondacks/2017/02/meet_star_trek_stars_at_original_series_set_tours_in_upstate_ny.html
- Takei, O’Reilly, Grunberg & More Set for Trek Las Vegas 2017 – http://www.startrek.com/article/takei-oreilly-grunberg-more-set-for-trek-las-vegas-2017
- Sir Patrick Stewart Set for STLV 2017 – http://www.startrek.com/article/sir-patrick-stewart-set-for-stlv-2017
- Star Trek-style holographic beauties will Replace porn stars as ‘humans can’t compete’ – http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/583825/holographic-virtual-reality-porn-robots-sex-jobs
- In addition, Star Trek-like tricorders promise DNA analysis on the go – https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/01/31/star-trek-like-tricorders-promise-dna-analysis-go/
- The First-Ever Roddenberry Prize Awards Companies Pushing Us Toward A Star Trek Future – https://www.fastcoexist.com/3067703/the-first-ever-rodenberry-prize-awards-companies-pushing-us-toward-a-star-trek-future
- First of all, Star Trek Product News Roundup January 2017 – http://www.gandtshow.com/star-trek-product-news-january-2017/
- Star Trek: The Graphic Novel Collection – Issues 1 to 3 – http://www.trekmate.org.uk/star-trek-the-graphic-novel-collection-issues-1-to-3/
- Halifax’s garrison Brewing releases new Star Trek-themed beer “worth dying for” – Red Shirt Ale – http://globalnews.ca/news/3241394/halifaxs-garrison-brewing-releases-new-star-trek-themed-beer-worth-dying-for/
- 50 Artists. 50 Years. Portfolio Collection Available Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/50-artists-50-years-portfolio-collection-available-now
- Official Starships Collection Shuttles Available Take Flight – http://www.startrek.com/article/official-starships-collection-shuttles-available-take-flight
- Star Trek Mirror Mirror Mens T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-mirror-mirror-mens-t-shirt/detail.php?p=931241&v=startrek_exclusive
- Also, Star Trek Mirror Mirror Womens T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-mirror-mirror-womens-t-shirt/detail.php?p=931236&v=startrek_exclusive
- Also, the Star Trek Starfleet Academy Schools Collection Pint Glass Set (Set of 4) – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-academy-schools-collection-pint-glass-set-set-of-4/detail.php?p=933615&v=startrek_exclusive
- Star Trek Beyond Operations Badge – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-beyond-operations-badge/detail.php?p=1049866&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, Star Trek Beyond Science Badge – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-beyond-science-badge/detail.php?p=1049861&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Finally, Star Trek Beyond Command Badge – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-beyond-command-badge/detail.php?p=1049856&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Would A Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Movie have been good? – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/01/31/star-trek-deep-space-nine-movie-good/
- Will Cineplex, Canada’s Largest Cinema Chain, be next in line to roll up its sleeves and produce its own content? – http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/movies/will+cineplex+canada+largest+cinema+chain+next+line+roll/12882689/story.html
- First of all, 2017 Oscar Nominee Joel Harlow on Designing the aliens of Star Trek Beyond – http://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2017/02/02/2017-oscar-nominee-joel-harlow-on-designing-the-aliens-of-star-trek-beyond/#14ec2257786d
- An Actual Star Trek: Enterprise Shuttle is For Sale On Ebay – http://nerdist.com/an-actual-star-trek-enterprise-shuttle-is-for-sale-on-ebay/
- Also, Star Trek: Enterprise screen-used Prop Full Scale Shuttle Pod One Set – http://www.ebay.com/itm/162383091445
- William Shanter Joins My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic – http://epicstream.com/news/Star-Trek-Icon-William-Shatner-Joins-My-Little-Pony-Friendship-is-Magic
- Giants announce dates for 2017 Metallica Night, Marvel Night, Brewfest, and More including Star Wars and Star Trek night – http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-Metallica-Night-date-announced-for-August-10923495.php
- Finally, 30 Trek Challenge on Twitter – https://twitter.com/30trekchallenge
- Worf at Center of Headlong Flight – http://www.startrek.com/article/worf-at-center-of-headlong-flight
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Headlong Flight Review – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/02/star-trek-the-next-generation-headlong-flight-review/
- Flying High With Star Trek: Headlong Flight – http://www.gameindustry.com/reviews/book-review/flying-high-star-trek-headlong-flight/
- Michael Westmore Memoir Out In March – http://www.startrek.com/article/michael-westmore-memoir-out-in-march
- Beam Up Buttons With Trek Cats – http://www.startrek.com/article/beam-up-buttons-with-trek-cats
- First of all, Star Trek Timelines game maker Disruptor Beam raises $8.5 Million – https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/disruptor-beam-series-b/
- Star Trek Timelines Hybrid Event FAQ – http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2017/2/7/hybrid-event-faq
- Perfect World Entertainment lay off fewer than 30 employees – http://www.develop-online.net/news/perfect-world-entertainment-lay-off-fewer-than-30-employees/0229216
- Star Trek Online Announces Amradas Are Coming to Console – https://www.trueachievements.com/n26682/star-trek-onlineso, announces-armadas-are-coming
- STO Season 12 Sector Space Map – http://www.startrek.com/article/sto-season-12-sector-space-map
- In addition, Star Trek Online – Of Signs and Portents Week Three Rewards – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10379033-of-signs-and-portents-week-three-rewards%21
- Star Trek Online – T6 Multimission Explorers – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10378433-t6-multimission-explorers%21
- Star Trek: Bridge Crew will Feature Original USS Enterprise Bridge – Delayed Again to May 30th – http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/10/star-trek-bridge-crew-will-feature-uss-enterprise-original-bridge
- Finally, VR Game Adds NCC-1701 Bridge – http://www.startrek.com/article/vr-game-adds-ncc-1701-bridge
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- Agents of Yesterday Launches on XBox One and Playstation 4 - February 14, 2017
- G & T Show 267 – More Than Meets The Eye - February 12, 2017
- G & T Show 266 – Shisko’s Sit List - January 29, 2017