G & T Show 268 – That’s Not Star Trek
G & T Show 268 – That’s Not Star Trek is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, and Mike are back for an all new episode of the G & T Show, discussing all of the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek multiverse. This week, they discuss Convention, Gaming, and some Television News. Also, later, they are joined by fellow podcaster, Mike Gaines of This Week In Trek, The World of Warcast, and The Whoniverse podcasts to discuss how small groups of fans hated TNG after it premiered, claiming that’s not Star Trek, illustrating that the hate directed at Star Trek: Discovery isn’t anything new. So check out this week’s episode and the insightful conversation with Mike Gaines.
First of all, they begin the show with their usual round of introductions before jumping into this week’s Coffee Klatch. Mike has been ill with food poisoning, which was why they didn’t have a show last week.
Nick attended Farpoint last week. He streamed portions of the convention on Facebook Live, and spoke with several people. Nick shares some of his experiences at the convention. He got to sit in on the Nicholas Meyer panel. Nick also talks about the Peter David series New Frontiers. He was happy to discover that they have a New Frontiers line of action figures. He also had Peter David sign a figure for him. They talk about Peter David, David Mack, and Bob Greenberger as well. Nick is looking forward to some of the upcoming conventions he will be attending and plans to Facebook Live from them as well. He’ll be at the Salt Lake Comic Con in September.
Finally, Mike has been dealing with food poisoning, and hasn’t really done anything. He’s been stressed out with his grandfather. He misses being in his Zen state.
BLB Productions News
Moving on to BLB Productions News. First of all, Semantic Shenanigans has a new episode. Terry starts off by describing the show as where Law, Business, Scholarship, and Fandom collide. They spun off from a G & T Show segment. Nick shares some of his most intimate thoughts about Semantic Shenanigans.
In addition, they talk about television. Nick loves Taboo but Terry and Mike have not seen it yet. Mike and Nick have been watching Legion. Terry has been hearing good things about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They discuss some of them.
Mike reads a read a release from Ross regarding Live Love Play. In it he mentions their new audio series, Witchcast. He’s still livestreaming games three times a week on Twitch. ROss continues his Bingeworthy series with RWBY. And, has a lot of other surprises in store at Live Love Play. Terry sends a message to Ross. She got her dice and is ready to play. She jingles the dice on the air for all to hear.
Nick asks about Allen, who was in bed sleeping. Yesterday, he posted about how crazy people were driving. Terry explains that he had ripped out the honeysuckle vines from their front yard and took them down to the dump, which is where he encountered the crazy drivers. However, Nick saw the very best of humanity when he went to the store yesterday.
Star Trek Online
Terry moves them along to Star Trek News and Nick wants to start off with Star Trek Online. Nick has played Of Signs and Portents. Mike hasn’t played STO in a while. Mike talks about Tony Todd’s role as Rodek, but for Nick, he’ll always be Kurn. They appreciated his portrayal in the game. The episode is even better since Kuumaarke is in it.
Nick played the previous episode as well. He’s been flying a Kelvin and loves that ship. Terry’s character cuts through the Tzenkethi on the ground with her Cochrane shotgun. Nick’s team consists of mostly engineers. They discuss away team crews. Terry thinks that Draw Fire is one of the most useless skills on a BOFF.
Returning to the mission, they discuss the cave portion of the episode and then the new ground no win scenario. Terry hasn’t played but she thought it was very fun to watch on STO’s livestream.
Finally, Terry mentions the anniversary event. She’s been participating in it because she really liked the ship’s design. The problem with the event was that she couldn’t buy the materials with Lobi. Mike steps out to greet their guest. She managed to get the event done, but would have preferred to put some of her Lobi to use.
Special Guest Mike Gaines
Mike returns with their guest, Mike Gaines of The World of Warcast and This Week In Trek podcasts. Terry had seen him speak with John Van Citters on Twitter and wanted to bring him on the show. A couple of weeks ago, they had discussed the fandom’s reaction to Star Trek Discovery. Gaines had posted a photo of a flyer that had been circulated at conventions shortly after TNG premiered.
Gaines’ first convention was in 1975 and he has been doing them for some time. He shares a story about where the flyer came from during TNG’s second season. It was from a guy who absolutely hated TNG. The logic used in the flyer wasn’t solid in Gaines’s opinion. He had kept the flyer but had forgotten about it until he and his wife started cleaning up the attic. There was a vocal minority who hated TNG. A friend of his also hated TNG because it wasn’t TOS. At the time, there was a line in the fandom that people either loved TNG or hated it. And, it seems it hasn’t changed all that much.
His favorite series is TOS, because he grew up with it. Terry wonders if it is different this time around because Discovery is behind a paywall. Gaines concurs it is a different time. Back then, it was unheard of to pay for a tv show. But, today, it’s common with platforms such as Amazon, iTunes, and more. He’s going into this with an open mind. He’s concerned about the delays, but reminds everyone that TOS had two pilots. Good things can come from the delay. Nick mentions how some people will bash Enterprise but have never watched it. Gaines wanted to love Enterprise but couldn’t get past the first several episodes of the series. He has since watched it for his podcast and has come to love it.
Nick asks if viewer fatigue had something to do with it. Gaines agrees. He thinks that with Star Trek, it needed a break. He believes Star Trek is one of those shows that will never go away. What it does is important, especially today. He compares it to 24. That show makes him groan. Mike chimes in with some Television News, since they had mentioned Discovery’s delays. Star Trek: Discovery may be released in September 2017. Terry had heard the same thing from Nick. Nick explains that he had been speaking with Keith DeCandido and Dave Mack. They were discussing a phone call with Kirsten. Dave Mack has the series bible.
So returning to the discussion with Gaines, Terry asked about a line in his Twitter Bio. He confirmed that he voiced the Guardian of Forever for the web series The Red Shirt Diaries. Also, Gaines says they are some of the nicest and funniest people. Also, they have a new Kickstarter going for a comic book.
The conversation with Gaines shifts from TOS to TNG to ENT, DS9, and Voyager. They discussed many different aspects from the various Trek series. In addition, they even erupted into an argument or two along the way. Gaines mentioned his podcasts. He started with World of Warcast. When he looked to launch a new show, he considered Star Wars and Star Trek, but Trek had more longevity for a podcast. Also, they discuss the new latest Star Wars movies briefly along with Babylon 5 and more. He shares how he got started with This Week In Trek. They also discussed how Trek fandom had evolved with the Internet since he’s been a fan.
So when it comes to the time period of the new series, he’s ok with it. He didn’t like the 78 year jump between TOS and TNG. In addition, if they do another post-Voyager show, he doesn’t want them to do another 78 year jump. Mike points out that the time frame between TOS and TNG is ripe for another series if they wish to do another one after Discovery. Also, with the way television is being produced today, they can explore stories from various timeframes.
Gaines thinks that this represents a primer for Star Trek and what it can do in the new streaming television landscape. The writers can explore better stories. They point out some of the worst episodes of Trek as examples of why this format is superior. Mike thinks that it’s the beauty of Star Trek. You’ve got some great episodes that make you think but also some horrible episodes which Trekkies talk about anyway.
Deep Space Nine
Nick defends his love for Come Along Home. DS9 helped herald the transition away from episodic television and Voyager screwed the pooch when they tried to return to episodic. Voyager should have been the least episodic. Furthermore, Gaines points out that Babylon 5 wasn’t really episodic. Writers’ burnout caused one of Voyager’s bigger problems. Discovery will have a freedom from network television oversight that the other series have not had. Subscriptions have already paid for the show upfront, rather than relying on advertisers to foot the bill. The discussion shifts to DS9 and their desire to see more of the war rather than life on the station. The conversation breaks down into a back and forth between Terry and Nick. In addition, Gaines said they were seeing it from two points of view, but neither of them were wrong in their analysis.
Gaines goes on to talk about how DS9’s use of comedic episodes to break up the war story was irksome. He had an issue with Profit and Lace specifically. Mike interjects about Profit and Lace. In the episode, Quark was transgendered and the comedic approach ended up really the only way to approach the topic of not only gender equality but also transgender issues.
In addition, they talk about Gene Roddenberry’s vision for Star Trek. One of the problems with TNG was the lack of internal conflict and once more how they would pick the most inopportune time to take a meeting. Gaines wants to see Discovery return to Roddenberry’s vision, tell complete stories without the odd episode inserted in to help fill and episode spot in the season. Furthermore, they could interject comedy into episodes without resorting to that.
Furthermore, Terry talks about Star Wars Rebels. They discuss the idea of an animated Star Trek series. They still want to see one, especially a Titan series. Star Trek could learn from Rebels. But, there is a preconception that animated films are only for children, but with Rebels and other shows with rich characters and stories, they can be appealing to adults as well.
Also, they discuss Star Trek merchandising. Star Trek doesn’t seem to appeal to children. It’s not magic enough. Gaines talks about how Star Trek was everywhere when he was a child. But that was a time when there was no Star Wars.
In addition, they broke the news that Bill Paxton had just died. Everyone spend the rest of the show discussing Bill Paxton’s career. They all loved and respected him and would have loved to have seen him in Star Trek. They are all saddened and heartbroken by the news of his passing. Nick loves him from Aliens. Terry loved him from Apollo 13 and Twister. Mike remembers seeing him with a big cigar in his mouth in Weird Science. They start winding down the show to watch some Bill Paxton movies.
FInally, you can find Mike Gaines and his podcasts on social media. For other BLB Announcements, Mike mentions that Straight Outta Gallifrey has recorded an episode but Mike hasn’t been able to edit it yet. Look for it soon. Nick is working on an upcoming The Gettysburg’s Address. He also has an interview with Heather E. Hutsell that he will be sending to Mike for editing. That concludes this week’s G & T Show. Tune in next week for an all new episode of the G & T Show.
Links to Check Out
- Mike Gaines on Twitter – https://twitter.com/starmike
- This Week In Trek – http://www.thisweekintrek.com
- This Week In Trek on Twitter – https://twitter.com/thisweekintrek
- World of Warcast – http://www.worldofwarcast.com
- The Whoniverse – http://www.thewhoniverse.com/
Busy Little Beaver Productions News
- Semantic Shenanigans Episode 6 – Space, The Final Reality – http://www.semanticshenanigans.com/semantic-shenanigans-space-final-reality/
- Live Love Play – Introducing Witchcast. An Audio Series by George Silsby – http://www.iliveloveplay.com/introducing-witchcast-audio-series-george-silsby/
- First of all, Twitter: Photo of article about TNG’s premiere and Fan outrage about it – https://twitter.com/TerilynnS/status/831229171871330307
- Michael Gaines responds with a fan flyer protesting TNG – https://twitter.com/starmike/status/831225114196865024
- La La Land, Nocturnal Animals, Star Trek Beyond, and Suicide Squad among feature film winners at 2017 make-up artists & hair stylists guild awards – http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/la-la-land-nocturnal-animals-star-trek-beyond-and-suicide-squad-among-feature-film-winners-at-the-2017-make-up-artists–hair-stylists-guild-awards-300409994.html
- Star Trek Beyond will win Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling with 4-to-9 odds from Experts – http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-oscar-predictions-best-makeup-and-hairstyling-star-trek-beyond-suicide-squad/
- Adam Nimoy’s Deep Space Nine Documentary Full Crowdfunded in one day – http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-12/adam-nimoys-deep-space-nine-documentary-fully-crowdfunded-one-day
- Star Trek: DS9 Documentary does big business on Indiegogo – https://culturedvultures.com/star-trek-deep-space-nine-documentary/
- Finally, Star Trek: DS9 Documentary Crowdsource Campaign Adds New Rewards – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/02/24/star-trek-deep-space-nine-documentary-crowdsource-campaign-adds-new-rewards/
- First of all, full blown 4D Star Trek movie is actually just a McDonald’s campaign – http://mashable.com/2017/02/23/mcdonalds-japan-4d-burger/#0tpDlpiXEmqx
- Meryl Streep just invented Star Trek Chic – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meryl-streep-red-carpet_us_58ad9923e4b0d0a6ef468ee5
- Ten For Ward: Trek Books I wish I’d written – http://www.startrek.com/article/ten-for-ward-trek-books-i-wish-id-written
- Beware the Walking Red – Zombie Cosplay by Eric Allan Hall – http://www.startrek.com/article/beware-the-walking-red-zombie-cosplay
- Mission Set for Operation Enterprise Roller Coaster – http://www.startrek.com/article/mission-set-for-operation-enterprise-roller-coaster
- $29.9 Million Florida Home Will Transport You to Star Trek -http://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/54500-29-9-million-florida-home-will-transport-you-to-star-trek
- Deep Space nine Finally Released, with some issues – http://www.cityweekly.net/TheDailyFeed/archives/2017/02/13/deep-space-nine-finally-released-with-some-issues
- William Shatner goes boldly into court demanding a $170 million lawsuit be thrown out – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4228468/William-Shatner-demands-suit-alleged-son-dropped.html
- Pop-Up star trek theater Livens up a London Tube run – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/star-trek-london-tube-ride_us_58a4e32fe4b045cd34be81de
- Finally, Star Trek: Operation Enterprise Roller Coaster – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/02/star-trek-operation-enterprise-roller-coaster/
- First of all, Star Trek Online: The Arena of Sompek Special Event – https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10398253
- Koenig, Masterson, & More Lend Voices to STO’s Artifacts – http://www.startrek.com/article/koenig-masterson-more-lend-voices-to-stos-artifacts
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: The Means to an End – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10402953-the-means-to-an-end
- Balance Changes Coming to Star Trek Online – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10402523-balance-changes-coming-to-star-trek-online
- Finally, Star Trek Online: The Arena of Sompek Rewards – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10410173-the-arena-of-sompek-rewards%21
- First of all, Cosmunity brings the geek convention experience online – https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/21/cosmunity-is-bringing-the-geek-convention-experience-online/
- Star Trek-level technology is coming to a kitchen near you – http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2017/02/22/star-trek-level-technology-is-coming-to-a-kitchen-near-you/
- FastOx Technology Wins Star Trek-inspired Award – http://www.davisvanguard.org/2017/02/fastox-technology-wins-star-trek-inspired-award/
- This Star Trek-like headset helps the legally blind see again – https://www.cnet.com/news/esight-video-glasses-restores-sight-legally-blind-star-trek-visor-headset/
- FInally, this earpiece is basically the universal translator from Star Trek – http://theweek.com/articles/680383/earpiece-basically-universal-translator-from-star-trek
- First of all, Comic Book Review – Star Trek / Green Lantern: Stranger Worlds #3 – https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/02/comic-book-review-star-trekgreen-lantern-stranger-worlds-3/
- New Star Trek comic showcases Mirror Universe of The Next Generation – http://ew.com/books/2017/02/22/star-trek-comic-mirror-universe-next-generation/
- Jaylah, Sinestro, and Mirror Picard set for May – http://www.startrek.com/article/jaylah-sinestro-mirror-picard-set-for-may
- First Look: Treknology Explores The Science of Trek – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-treknology-explores-the-science-of-trek
- The Best Part of Star Trek Beyond is Coming to Comics This Week – http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-best-part-of-star-trek-beyond-is-coming-to-comics-t-1792295122
- Finally, Star Trek: Boldly Go #5 – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/02/star-trek-boldly-go-5/
- First of all, Star Trek: Discovery Release Date is likely to be September 2017 – https://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-fall-release-date/4212526
- CBS’ Star Trek Discovery adds Three to Starfleet – http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-star-trek-discovery-adds-three-starfleet-975677
- Diverse Cast of Star Trek: Discovery should be a wake-up call for Hollywood – http://www.out.com/television/2017/2/17/diverse-cast-star-trek-discovery-should-be-wake-call-hollywood
- Finally, Mystery of the Second Ship on Star Trek: Discovery Deepens – https://www.inverse.com/article/27935-star-trek-discovery-ship-shenzhou-casting-starfleet
- First of all, Star Trek Klingon Imperial Porter Beams Down in 2017 – http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/startrek-klingon-imperial-porter-beams-down-in-2017/
- Kataan Probe Pendant Prop Replica from Roddenberry.com – https://shop.roddenberry.com/collections/prop-replicas/products/kataan-probe-pendant-prop-replica?variant=34380346956
- Bioship Alpha (Repaint) for Attack Wing Wave 29 – http://www.startrek.com/article/bioship-alpha-repaint-for-attack-wing-wave-29
- Sulu Excelsior Back in Action – http://www.startrek.com/article/sulu-excelsior-back-in-action
- Star Trek Klingon Empire Woven Throw – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-klingon-empire-woven-throw-36-x-58/detail.php?p=1265891&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Finally, 3Doodler announces a robotics kit, Star Trek and Power-puff Girls-themed pens – https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/16/3doodler-pens/
- First of all, the Star Trek Klingon Honor Is More Important than life t-shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-klingon-honor-is-more-important-than-life-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265775&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Klingon May you die well t-shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-klingon-may-you-die-well-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265780&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, the Star Trek Klingon To Really Succeed You must enjoy eating Poison t-shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-klingon-to-really-succeed-you-must-enjoy-eating-poison-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265770&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Klingon Stop Talking Drink T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-klingon-stop-talking-drink-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265765&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Starfleet Recruitment Poster Hoodie – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-recruitment-poster-hoodie/detail.php?p=1265836&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, the Starfleet Recruitment Poster T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-recruitment-poster-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265841&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Assimilate or Die T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-assimilate-or-die-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265851&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Futhermore, the Star Trek Assimilate or Die Hoodie – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-assimilate-or-die-hoodie/detail.php?p=1265846&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Enterprise MACO T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-enterprise-maco-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265806&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, the Enterprise Patch Hoodie – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-enterprise-patch-hoodie/detail.php?p=1265796&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Finally, Enterprise Patch T-Shirt – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-enterprise-patch-t-shirt/detail.php?p=1265801&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek 4 details: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto to return as Kirk and Spock, Chris Hemsworth may have a role – http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/star-trek-4-details-chris-pine-zachary-quinto-to-return-as-kirk-and-spock-chris-hemsworth-may-have-a-role-20820/
- Mulgrew & More join Trek Vegas Guest List – http://www.startrek.com/article/mulgrew-more-join-the-trek-vegas-guest-list
- Finally, cruise ships are the new super-fan conventions for TV and Film – https://qz.com/913736/cruise-ships-are-the-new-super-fan-conventions-for-tv-and-film/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017