G & T Show 270 – Hollywood Realities
G & T Show 270 – Hollywood Realities is now available to download. Check it out here. This week on the G & T Show, Nick, Terry, and Mike have returned to discuss the latest news coming out of the Star Trek Multi-verse, including: Television, Gaming, Product, and General News. Dayton Ward’s wisdom returns for an Ask Dayton segment. They talk about Hollywood, television, and movies and the realities behind them. Also, Nick’s discussion topic of the week concerns Crossovers and they spend a few minutes spitballing a few ideas. Join in the fun and check out this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
They begin the episode with Introductions before jumping to this week’s Coffee Klatch. They are struggling a little bit due to the day light savings time change. It should be outlawed.
Terry and Allen watched Star Trek Beyond last night. It was their first viewing since pre-ordering the Blu-Ray. It is the only Kelvin Universe movie she ever purchased. Terry received the first one as a gift. She doesn’t have the second one. Nick has the second one but still hasn’t even opened it, because he doesn’t want to re-experience the anger he felt after watching it in the theater. They discuss Terry’s thoughts on her viewing of Beyond now that some time had passed since she had last seen it. She loved the story editing and how they provided little snippets and insights into the characters and made her care about this version of them for the first time. They have not watched any of the extras yet.
Furthermore, she loved the call back to the beginning of the movie series with the Beastie Boys song. They talk about the music in the film. Trek has always had something that called back to the modern age and in this series it was its use of “classical” music. They comment on the idea of what music would survive into the 23rd century and they all believe that a lot of modern music would survive. Nick squirrels about the classic rock radio station in his area and the music choices they make. It was mind-boggling and jarring. Terry joins in the squirrel to mention an article she came across this week that listed several songs that turned 20 years old this year. It surprised them. And speaking of 20th Anniversaries, Nick has been rewatching Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
BLB Productions Announcements
They move on to the recent BLB Production Announcements. The O Sports show has recently released their 27th episode back from their recent hiatus. Mike hits the play button on a voicemail from Ross sharing the latest news coming from Live Love Play. They’ve got a new Table Top D20 show Exodus: Gods of Eukon which features Mike and Terry, Jim Cushman, George Silsby, and Mario Rodrigues. Look for it on their YouTube Channel in the coming weeks. He’s also started playing some new games including HALO, The Banner Saga, and Deus Ex. Finally, he’s got a new Bingeworthy taking a look at Eleven Little Roosters.
Terry confirms that she and Mike play the RPG game. Mike shares a little about his character Therm before Terry describes her character Corva. She rolled badly when she created her and has a lot of negative stats. Nick will be talking with Kelly Thompson, the writer for Hawkeye, on Tuesday while Mike and Terry will be playing their RPG game. Steve will be helping him get the episode out for The Gettysburg Address.
Finally, J.K. Woodward has a sale on his art work. The Mirror Universe art is amazing. Mike thinks Nick would love the piece with Romulans and the alien from Aliens.
Terry moves onto General News. They discuss an article about Paramount following Disney’s Release Strategy. Terry wonders if it’s going to be a viable strategy for Paramount as it pertains to Star Trek which is owned by two different organizations. Mike starts off by stating that for some of their tentpoles such as G.I. Joe and Transformers, the strategy works. However, for Star Trek there would have to be all new licensing negotiations to take place.
However, if it goes through, there would be two Star Treks. Nick compares it to the relationship between Marvel and Fox. Fox has the X-Men and can use the term mutants, while Marvel has the right to almost everything else, but cannot create films with X-Men or use the term Mutant in any of their properties. Nick explains the difference between Inhumans and Mutants.
So in order to get this to work, Mike thinks they would need to create an independent group like Marvel and Star Wars has to oversee the various projects of both studios. CBS owns the merchandising rights to all of Star Trek. Its a complex web between CBS and Paramount. Paramount only has the right to create Trek films, which was one of the issues JJ faced when doing the Kelvin universe films – he wanted licensing rights too.
In addition, they talk about animated films and shows before returning to the discussion. Another problem with the licensing issues with Trek: that CBS has a young but successful movie studio yet cannot creating Trek movies. Mike was disappointed when the merger between CBS and Paramount fell through. It would have been a great thing for Trek. Terry facepalmed when she read the first comment on the article which was a complaint about Star Wars films never going on sale. It prompts them to vamp about digital stores such as Apple and Google Play.
Mike talks some Product News. The Star Trek Tiki Glasses are cool. Then, there was the Voyager 4CD soundtrack set. Nick doesn’t think that the Voyager music stands out as much as TNG’s or as TOS. What are your favorite musical tracks from Voyager? The theme was certainly pretty and memorable. Post your thoughts on G & T Show’s Facebook page. Be sure to Like and share our page as well.
They move onto this week’s Ask Dayton. The question came from Dave Chapelle about the method Dayton uses to rewrite and edit his books. Tune in and check out Dayton’s fun response. They thank Dayton for his insight before commenting on it. Nick thinks the rewriting process represents one of the big problems with Hollywood films today. Some of the old B-Movies from the 50s are still outstanding and fun despite being made very quickly and on the cheap. Yet, today films are endlessly rewritten and the process can make them feel disjointed. Nick doesn’t think that Marvel goes through the process of endlessly rewriting their films. Their directors have a certain amount of freedom and use Iron Man as an example. Favereau was a fan of the source material, which led to its success. Beyond did better because Simon Pegg was a fan.
The conversation merges into Television News as Terry is nervous but optimistic for Star Trek Discovery. Stella the Star Trek dog tweeted this week a single word. August! They believe that could be the window for Star Trek Discovery’s release. While Terry looks up a link, Nick asks Mike how he’s feeling. His stomach is not giving him trouble any more, but he worried that he would suffer a relapse.
They mention that Patrick Stewart had fostered a pitbull, before they return to the discussion of Stella. Terry reads some her tweets before finding the one that mentions August. Mike reminds everyone that is the time frame that they have been hearing. September from Nick Meyer, late summer from Moonves, and now August from Stella. It won’t be long and Mike is excited.
CGI Spock? Yea or Nay?
Before moving on to this week’s discussion topic, Mike wanted to quickly touch on a few other tv news items. Mike wants everyone’s opinion on the use of a CGI Spock in Discovery. They discuss the topic and use Rogue One as an example. Nick thinks that a seldom used instance would be fine, but if they were going to use the character periodically, then they would prefer to see it recast. Terry wouldn’t mind if they put Zachary Quinto into the role.
Share your thoughts about it on our Facebook page. They wonder if Star Wars should recast Leia in light of Carrie Fischer’s passing for Star Wars 9. Nick and Mike don’t think so, but Terry points out that it worked for Harry Potter. Nick and Mike didn’t know that Dumbledore had been recast. Some actors and actresses that are synonymous with the roles they play. And it comes down to whether or not Star Wars fans would accept the new actress in the role of Leia.
Nick mentions the Ghost in the Shell movie with Scarlett Johansson. It leads to a discussion of white-washing. A lot of films today are not created for us. Instead, they are being made for Chinese audiences.
Jason Isaacs Comes to Star Trek: Discovery
The final item Mike wanted to discuss from Television News: Jason Isaacs has been cast as the Captain of the Discovery. He was Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films. Terry points out that he’s a big name. He’s not the lead character in the show, but he is the Captain of the show. Mike thought it was interesting that the role would be cast so late. However, Terry points out that it was his announcement that had been delayed so long. Mike was thinking that if this was a new casting and they were just getting around to casting Discovery, then perhaps the story for the series could revolve around a search for a lost ship. It was just speculation based on in complete information.
TPTB expect Discovery to get All Access subscribers total to 4 million. Nick mentions that Dave Mack’s tie-in novel for Discovery has been pushed to 2045. However, that could be due to the fact that they didn’t want a firm release date for the novel until Discovery officially announced its release date. The book can be pre-ordered now on Amazon.
Nick takes us to Gaming News. He had a question for the crew at Cryptic. He downloaded STO on XBox One. However, he’s on the verge of removing it because he can’t figure out how to remove the reticle and have it auto target. On PC, he’s a clicker and will rarely tab through. He’s gone through Options but hasn’t found it. Put your answer on their Facebook page.
Terry wants the Enterprise J. She bought a bunch of boxes but didn’t get one. Mike suggests buying one from the Exchange. She doesn’t have enough EC. Mike suggest selling Master Keys. Nick hates the design of the J because its so thin. They discuss the other new ships. They all are very thin as well. The Klingon ship looks like a stretched Bortas. However, Nick loves the Romulan ship once they figure out where the front is. It looks like his tattoo.
Which Crossover Would You Like to See in a Comic?
Mike steps away for a moment. While they wait for him to return, they start with Nick’s discussion of what crossover would you want to see for a comic. The rule he suggests would be something from within Trek, such as Cardassians with Aliens. His first suggestion was Xenomorphs loose on DS9.
Terry wonders what would crossover with Tribbles. Mike returns. Nick asks about the genocide of Tribbles. The chat room had suggested a crossover of Tribbles and Gremlins. Mike suggests crossing over Critters with Tribbles. Nick suggests DTI cross over with Agents of SHIELD. Terry poses Guardians of the Galaxy and Trek. They spend some time pairing up different characters from TNG with different characters from Guardians of the Galaxy. Mike suggests Farscape would work with Trek’s universe. Nick mentions seeing a fan made BSG and DS9 crossover. Mike suggest the Mudd episode from TOS with the androids except replace all of the androids with Sixes from BSG.
They start winding down the show with some more announcements. Mike mentions that Straight Outta Gallifrey has finally released their new episode. He thanks Steve for helping them get the episode out. The Gettysburg Address will be recorded next week with Steve’s help.
They need their Facebook Likes to go up so please like their page and share it. They once again mention the O Sports Show and Live Love Play. Mike and Terry will be continuing their playtest of Star Trek Adventures this week. They aren’t finished, but are testing what is currently available. Mike is a Tellarite and Terry is a Trill. Nick hopes someone can help him with his XBox One and STO issue. Nick also mentions that he’s working on a contest for Facebook. It will help them get interviews and get into conventions. They need to get their numbers up since their metric of success comes from Facebook rather than website performance. Join them next week for an all new episode of the G & T Show that may or may not include Nick.
BLB Production News
- Sports Show 027: The French Edition – http://osportsshow.com/o-sports-show-027-french-edition/
- Straight Outta Gallifrey Ep 12 – I’ve been away … but I’m back! – http://straightouttagallifrey.com/2017/03/09/ep-12-ive-been-away-but-im-back/
- First of all, former Astronaut, first woman of color in space to visit WMU – http://www.wmich.edu/news/2017/03/38612
- Patrick Stewart Welcomes Home A Foster Dog, His first pup in more than 50 Years – http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/22121-patrick-stewart-welcomes-home-a-foster-dog-his-first-pup-in-more-than-50-years
- Idris Elba goes Beyond Star Trek to DJ at Derbyshire’s Y Not Music Festival – http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/8203-idris-elba-is-going-beyond-star-trek-to-dj-at-derbyshire-s-y-not-music-festival/story-30192015-detail/story.html
- Nerdom must put aside its differences and unite – http://www.unewsonline.com/2017/03/05/nerdom-must-put-aside-its-differences-and-unite/
- Taiwan’s sci-fi community: small but strong – http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/life/box_office/30307993
- Paramount May Follow Disney’s Release Strategy – http://www.darkhorizons.com/paramount-may-follow-disneys-release-strategy/
- Finally, Stella The Star Trek Dog on Twitter – https://twitter.com/StarTrekDog
- First of all, Trek Getting Geeki Tiki Treatment This Summer – http://www.startrek.com/article/trek-getting-geeki-tiki-treatment-this-summer
- New Star Trek: Voyager DVD Collection – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/03/first-look-new-star-trek-voyager-dvd-collection/
- Brand-New Trek Hoodies and Tees Available Now – http://www.startrek.com/article/brand-new-trek-hoodies-tees-available-now
- Sleep Full Speed A-Bed – http://www.startrek.com/article/sleep-full-speed-a-bed
- 4-CD Voyager Collection Hits the Right Notes – http://www.startrek.com/article/4-cd-voyager-collection-hits-the-right-notes
- Finally, Star Trek Art by J.K. Woodward – http://jkwoodwardart.blogspot.com/2017/03/star-trek-original-art-sale.html
- Star Trek: Discovery May Use CGI Spock, Adam Nimoy Open About Using the Technology to Bring Back His Father’s Character – http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/41986/20170306/star-trek-discovery-cgi-spock-adam-nimoy-open-using-technology.htm
- Star Trek: Discovery casts Jason Isaacs as Captain – http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/07/star-trek-discovery-jason-isaacs/
- CBS Expects Star Trek: Discovery to Get all Access to 4 Million Subscribers – http://trekmovie.com/2017/03/07/cbs-expects-star-trek-discovery-to-get-all-access-to-4-million-subscribers/
- Despite The Female Lead, There are half as many women as men in Star Trek: Discovery – https://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-main-cast-sexism/4222163
- Live Long and Infringe? Journal Squared ad campaign rips off Star Trek trademark -https://therealdeal.com/2017/03/08/live-long-and-infringe-journal-squared-ad-campaign-rips-off-star-trek-trademark/
- First of all, Farragut: The Crossing selected for DC Web Fest 2017 for Best Screenwriting – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265092982/starship-farragut-the-crossing/posts/1825432
- This 24-hour recording of idling engine noise from a ship in Star Trek will put you to sleep – https://boingboing.net/2017/03/08/this-24-hour-recording-of-idli.html
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Documentary Sneak Peek – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/03/08/star-trek-deep-space-nine-documentary-sneak-peek/
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Doc Warps Away Beyond Crowdfunding Goal – http://www.space.com/35991-star-trek-ds9-documentary-crowdfunding-success.html
- What We Left Behind: Star Trek Deep Space Nine Doc – https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc#/
- Finally, Vermont Trekkies Transport Original Film to New Universe – http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/vermont-trekkies-transport-original-film-to-new-universe/Content?oid=4488020
- Star Trek, Dr Who inspire Quantum Cleverness – https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/star-trek-dr-who-inspire-quantum-cleverness
- Comic Book Review – Star Trek Waypoint #4 – https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/03/comic-book-review-star-trek-waypoint-4/
- Making It So … The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard – http://www.startrek.com/article/making-it-so-the-autobiography-of-jean-luc-picard
- Furthermore, Modiphia Issue #1 – Spring 2017 – https://www.modiphius.net/collections/modiphia-magazine/products/modiphia-issue-1-spring-2017
- Fog of Ward – Talking about Star Trek Adventures for Modiphia! – https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2017/03/09/talking-about-star-trek-adventures-for-modiphia/
- Star Trek Online: Fiction: A Divided Duty – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10425043-a-divided-duty
- In addition, STO: 26th Century Dreadnought Stats – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10423633-26-century-dreadnoughts-stats%21
- Star Trek Online: 26th Century Dreadnought R & D Promotion – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10423573-26th-century-dreadnought-r%26d-promotion%21
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 287 – Star Trek Weed, Banned Episodes, and Reboots - July 16, 2017
- G & T Show 286 – Villainous Pathology and Star Trek - July 10, 2017
- G & T Show 285 – Moving Story Forward With Impactful Deaths - July 2, 2017