G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens
G & T Show 279 – Discovering The Orville Aliens is now available to download. Check it out here. Nick, Terry, and Mike have returned for an all new episode of the G & T Show with Steve handling the streams for Facebook Live and YouTube. This week, they discuss the latest trailers for The Orville and Star Trek: Discovery, plus Aliens and Alien: Covenant. They also discuss Television and General News.
First of all, they begin this week’s show with the usual round of introductions before jumping into Coffee Klatch and what they have been up to this week. Mike starts with the news that he has finally made it home and has spent most of the week visiting with his niece and nephews. Plus he has tried catch up with everything after being away for five weeks. Backlogged G & T posts are starting to go up. More should be up next week.
Star Trek Cat Puns
Mike talks about the contest they are launching this week over on Facebook. As a Klingon, a lover of puns, and in honor of his recent review of the Star Trek: Cat book; he seeks the ultimate Star Trek Cat Pun Meme to make his warrior’s heart roar with laughter. Plus the winner will receive a free copy of the Star Trek Cat book. So post your entry on their Facebook page for your chance to win.
Steve has been podcasting and working. He’s also been trying to get his steps up for his fundraiser to benefit Cancer Research. His first 10k step day was Wednesday. Steve works with a personal trainer to help him become more active. To help support Steve’s effort to raise money for Cancer Research, send your donations here.
Their friends at Trek Geeks are raising money for the animals, specifically the Nevada SPCA. The G & T Show supports their efforts to raise $1000. TrekGeeks will wear skants at STLV. So for every selfie someone takes with them, they will donate $1 towards their effort (up to $100). G & T Show will match them. Help Trek Geeks reach their goal by donating to the Nevada SPCA through this link.
Terry just got back from Alaska. She flew in on Thursday, was there for a meeting on Friday, and flew home on Saturday. It prompts Nick to discuss the film Insomnia. Terry shares a story about how strange it was to go to dinner and have the sun still up when they finished. It was rough for her. She thinks it would be more difficult for her if it was dark all the time. They discuss her trip.
Nick got to see Alien: Covenant and discusses the film without revealing spoilers. He liked Prometheus and enjoyed this follow up to it. It still resonates with him. Mike hasn’t seen it, but he did get to see Guardians of the Galaxy. Nick praises the actors and director of Alien: Covenant. The film raises deep questions about the nature of who we are, religion, and theology, all while having aliens bursting from people’s chests.
One of the articles in the show notes regarding the film pissed off Nick, since they seemed to miss the point regarding Prometheus and Alien: Covenant. It leads them to discuss Binge Culture, and how it has affected the movie going experience, as people don’t want to wait for a follow up movie to continue the story. Books can be binged, or the experience can be stretched out and savored.
Section 31: Disavowed
Bingeing books reminds Terry that that she has been reading Section 31: Disavowed. She is halfway through it and is struggling with it. She doesn’t read a lot of spy novels and the story is written that way, challenging the reader to figure out the story ahead of the writer. The story involves the mirror universe. So this makes it even harder for Terry to keep the story straight as it jumps back and forth between universes. She had to go back and re-read a chapter to figure out what was going on.
A new trailer came out this week, but before Terry can reveal what it is, Mike hijacks the conversation and redirects it to The Orville’s trailer first. Nick and Mike were pleased to see Adrianne Palicki in The Orville, playing the ex-wife. They are all looking forward to The Orville, Seth MacFarlane’s Star Trek spoof. It looks very funny.
A lot of people were surprised, but we had discussed the possibility a long time ago. Terry is pleased that Seth is doing this. He gets it and loves it and is happy that he’s doing it. Mike doesn’t want to compare The Orville to Galaxy Quest. When he watches this show, he will keep an open mind and stay away from the Galaxy Quest comparisons. Because this is not Galaxy Quest. The Orville will air this fall on FOX.
Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Discovery’s trailer also debuted this week. Discovery will air on CBS All Access this fall. The show has been expanded to fifteen episodes from thirteen and will have an after show called Talking Trek.
For Mike, the Talking something-or-other after show genre is dominated by Chris Hardwick. He has done Talking Dead, Talking Saul, and Talking with Chris Hardwick, so it’s not outside of the realm of possibilities. Hardwick did reveal that he is a Trek fan during the final moments of the last Talking Dead when Sonequa Martin-Green left The Walking Dead. Terry thinks Mike may be correct. She thinks that Hardwick is friends with Wil Wheaton.
Mike points out that the format for Hardwick’s Talking … after show usually involves a cast member or two, a writer or producer, and a celebrity fan on his panel. Wil Wheaton could certainly appear on the show as a celebrity fan. Nick would like to see Kevin Pollack run the show.
Nick prepared a snarky getty-torial in response to some of the fan reactions to the Star Trek: Discovery trailer. He touches on the desert costumes, character development, racial and sexual criticisms, Klingons, and CBS All Access. When he finished, they discuss some of the highlights of his getty-torial.
All Access vs. NetFlix Trailers
Another trailer came out for the Netflix audience. They are edited differently. The Netflix trailer has additional content and seems to be geared more towards the characters, while the US trailer featured more of the detail. Steve liked the US trailer better, but Terry enjoyed the NetFlix trailer more. Mike hasn’t seen it yet.
As a result, they analyze the trailer. The Sarek narration gave Mike the feeling that Michael is human and grew up on Vulcan. However, they don’t think she is a Vulcan. In addition, the Discovery was not shown in either trailer. Mike thinks the general shape of the Shinzou was like the IDIC symbol as seen in the initial teaser, but with a much more layered design.
Nick doesn’t think the uniform cut doesn’t fit with the aesthetic from The Cage. Steve disagrees. It seems like the bridge came from Star Trek Online. Plus the uniforms for The Orville are very similar to Discovery’s Enterprise. Terry thinks the uniforms seem more of an evolution of the Enterprise uniforms than a precursor to TOS. However, she doesn’t mind them modernizing the look of the entire show. It should speak to the time the show airs rather than what came before in the 1960s.
Drones And Exploration
Nick mentions a race from the Guardians of the Galaxy that pilots all of their ship through VR. Mike corrects him that it is not really VR. The ships are drones and the human interface is treated as a video game complete with video game sound effects.
Nick asks if using drones is how humans will explore the solar system. Mike points out that is already what they are doing on Mars, but with a six hour delay. Terry adds that unless there’s a technological breakthrough enabling people to communicate with drones at speeds faster than light, that is the most we can expect to accomplish. If Humanity doesn’t come together and get over some of our biggest issues, we will never go beyond our solar system.
Mike doesn’t necessarily agree with Terry. He agrees that we need to get over ourselves and our hang-ups. One of the issues with Mars is the delay. But, exploring beyond Mars will require automated, self-sufficient robots. When a robot breaks down, they’ll just send another one. Decades later, humans will follow their robotic probes. He uses some of the outer planets and their moons as examples of exploration beyond Mars.
Scientists are currently working on faster than light technology, akin to the warp drive. And, anyone that agrees to undertake such a trip would be a true pioneer as they would be completely cut off from the rest of humanity for a long long time. Nick points out that in Covenant, they are on a colony ship traveling to a new world.
Terry hopes that Mike is right that those breakthroughs will be made, but she is not optimistic that it will happen anytime soon because the current state of humanity. Mike understands her point. Space Exploration hasn’t been a priority for a long time, but he’s hopeful that one day it will be. Our civilization and species depends on it for our long term survival.
Stephen Hawking and other scientists have come out stating that humanity needs to become a space faring race sooner rather than later. Nick adds that its is going to happen when robots become sentient and take over the world. Terry shares a bit of news that she had seen this week that Google’s AI is better at creating AI than Google is. Mike thinks that is one of the signs of the Singularity, when robots and AI start creating robots and AI. Some people are starting to freak out over it. Mike hails their robotic overlords. Nick will be dead by then.
Terry wonders what was it that got humanity over their fears of each other and got them working together, enabling them to explore space. She would like to see a story that discusses how humanity gets over its bullshit and pettiness.
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Nick asks: What if an alien craft landed on the National Mall? How do you think humanity would react? And, whether mass market entertainment portraying aliens as the enemy will have anything to do with it.
Terry summarizes Neil deGrasse Tyson’s answer. Humans would respond like we have always responded to something new. We would act like fearful and untrusting animals. Also, we would be reactionary. She thinks humanity would implode.
If it happened tomorrow, Mike doesn’t think people would handle it very well. We would attack. He thinks that if contact happened twenty years ago, people would not have been quite as untrusting and fearful. But, he also acknowledges that the concept of alien life is a much more accepted concept thanks in part to the media. The majority of films and television still portray aliens as monsters.
Nick thinks the average person will wait and see if a contact happened. Terry doesn’t agree. She thinks people will wig out. Terry, then, asked what if contact happened in another country. Mike doesn’t think the average person would know. He thinks the information will be suppressed. Terry and Nick disagrees that kind of information could be kept a secret.
They start winding down the show. Mike points out two new Gettysburg’s Addresses came out this week. Nick talks a little about them. Then, Mike, reminds everyone of his Star Trek Cat Pun Meme Contest. So it is currently underway and challenges their listeners to make him laugh with their Trek Cat Puns. Steve has a voice mail from Ross discussing the latest news from Live Love Play.
Nick asks if there is any Starfinder or Gates coming up. Mike hasn’t been running Gates for a while, and Mike is only loosely associated with Starfinder, so he is not aware of anything at this time.
Nick is looking forward to Shoreleave. Terry doesn’t think that she will be make it out to Shoreleave this year as she was initially hoping. She has a lot of work travel ahead of them. They also call for Ask Dayton questions and for everyone to like their Facebook page.
Finally, that winds down this week’s episode of the G & T Show. Join them next week as they discuss all of the latest news happening in and around the Star Trek multiverse.
BLB Productions News
- First of all, Gettysburg’s Address 6 – Rebecca Johnson – http://www.gbaddress.com/2017/05/gettysburgs-address-6-rebecca-johnson/
- Gettysburg’s Address 7 – The O Sports Show – http://www.gbaddress.com/2017/05/gettysburgs-address-7-o-sports-show/
- G & T Show’s Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/SundayGandT/?ref=br_rs
- Star Trek Cats And The Cat Pun Meme Contest – http://www.gandtshow.com/star-trek-cats-meme-contest/
- Steve’s Cancer Research Walk-a-thon Fundraiser – https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/steverobertsuk/
- Finally, TrekGeek’s Fundraiser for the Nevada SPCA – https://www.gofundme.com/trekgeeks
- In addition, Earth has a new man-made protective force field – http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/stories/earth-has-new-man-made-protective-force-field
- Quantum tractor beam could tug atoms, molecules – https://www.sciencenews.org/article/quantum-tractor-beam-could-tug-atoms-molecules
- Also, A new Microsoft PowerPoint feature is straight out of Star Trek – http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-powerpoint-translator-coming-later-this-year-2017-5
Possible Discussion Topics
- Plus, The Movie Alien Threat Matrix – https://theringer.com/movies-alien-covenant-scariest-movie-aliens-7fe44110e8c6
- Wrinkles, tentacles and oval eyes: How depictions of aliens have evolved – http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/design/alien-like-no-other/
- Especially relevant, Alien: Covenant Is an Origin Story We Might Not Have Wanted – http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/alien-covenant-movie-review.html
- Chosen One of the Day: The Starfleet skant uniforms of Star Trek: TNG – http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-17/star-trek-next-generation-skant-uniforms
- So Logan Bucked Conventional Wisdom, Star Trek Was Crippled By It – https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/16/logan-wolverine-xmen-star-trek-hugh-jackman-box-office/#65fa6252563c
- Furthermore, Star Trek: Discovery: Decoding the 1st Trailer of Trek’s New Chapter – http://www.space.com/36914-star-trek-discovery-first-trailer-explained.html
- Star Trek Discovery: The Klingon Question – https://spaceinvader.me/2017/05/18/star-trek-discovery-the-klingon-question/
- Breaking Down the New STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Trailer! – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/05/breaking-down-the-new-star-trek-discovery-trailer/
- How Much Does the Star Trek: Discovery Trailer Reveal? – http://www.tor.com/2017/05/18/how-much-does-the-star-trek-discovery-trailer-reveal/
- Everything the Discovery Trailer Tells Us About the Future of Star Trek’s Past – http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-the-discovery-trailer-tells-us-about-the-fut-1795328380
- Additionally, Star Trek: Discovery Expanded to 15 Episodes, Gets New After-Show – http://www.imdb.com/news/ni61105375/
- Star Trek: Discovery Expands To 15 Episodes And Will Feature Companion After-Show – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1007152/star-trek-discovery-expands-to-15-episodes-and-will-feature-companion-after-show/
- Furthermore, CBS Star Trek: Discovery Reveals Deserted First Photo – http://screencrush.com/star-trek-discovery-photo/
- CBS Upfront: Colbert Shines, Moonves Snarks and ‘Star Trek’ (Finally) Shares Some Footage – http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-upfront-colbert-shines-moonves-snarks-star-trek-finally-shares-some-footage-1004849
- Most noteworthy, Star Trek: Discovery trailer debuts – http://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-trek-discovery-trailer-debuts-first-look/
- Isaacs: Star Trek: Discovery Absurdly Cool – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/05/isaacs-star-trek-discovery-absurdly-cool/
- 10 Things Star Trek Discovery Must Do To Avoid Epic Failure – https://tgnreview.com/2017/05/16/10-things-star-trek-discovery-must-do-to-avoid-epic-failure/
- CBS announces fall lineup with first looks at Big Bang Theory spinoff and Star Trek: Discovery – http://www.hypable.com/cbs-fall-lineup-2017-star-trek-sheldon/
- In addition, First Look At Sonequa Martin-Green In Star Trek Discovery – http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2017/05/17/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green/
- Star Trek: Discovery first look reveals officers in costume – https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-discovery-cbs-michelle-yeoh-sonequa-martin-green/
- Also, Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville Could be one of the better Star Trek parodies – http://nerdist.com/seth-macfarlanes-the-orville-could-be-one-of-the-better-star-trek-parodies/
- The Orville packed with Star Trek alums – https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/05/16/orville-packed-star-trek-alums/
- Plus, Family Guy creator’s new Star Trek parody series is more Spaceballs than anything else – https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/5/16/15646146/seth-macfarlane-orville-star-trek
- The First Trailer for Seth MacFarlane’s Star Trek Spoof The Orville Looks Perfect – http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-seth-macfarlanes-star-trek-spoof-1795237662
- Fox Is Making a Big Sci-Fi Play This Fall – http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/fox-fall-tv-schedule-2017.html
- First of all, Star Trek NCC-1701 Jacket on sale at ThinkGeek – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ists/?cpg
- Star Trek: TNG Kataan Probe Pendant – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jths/
- [REVIEW] Kirk & Spock Talking Bluetooth Speakers – http://www.treknews.net/2017/05/16/review-kirk-spock-bluetooth-speakers/
- Also, Star Trek Line of Ships Playing Cards – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-line-of-ships-playing-cards/detail.php?p=1395700
- Finally, a Klingon Polo – https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jtik/
- Furthermore, an Interview with Kipleigh Brown – The Voice of Kuumaarke – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/star-trek-online/news/detail/10504213-interview-with-kipleigh-brown-the-voice-of-kuumaarke
- Star Trek Online Season 13 – Escalation Detailed and Arriving Next Month – https://www.trueachievements.com/n28064/star-trek-online-season-13-escalation-detailed-and-arriving-next-month
- Modiphius Bringing Star Trek & Fallout To UK Games Expo – http://www.beastsofwar.com/modiphius/bringing-star-trek-fallout-uk-games-expo/
- Star Trek: Online’s Escalation heads to Xbox One, PS4 in June – http://stevivor.com/news/star-trek-onlines-escalation-heads-to-xbox-one-ps4-in-june/
- Star Trek Online Captains Gain Access to Season 13 – Escalation on Consoles June 6 – http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/298163/Star_Trek_Online_Captains_Gain_Access_to_Season_13_Escalation_on_Consoles_June_6.php
- Sony’s Richard Marks Says Star Trek: Bridge Crew’s Co-Presence Could Be Big for VR – http://wccftech.com/richard-marks-star-trek-bridge-crew-vr/
- The Advanced Light Cruiser Bundle – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-advanced-light-cruiser-bundle
- Mirrors and Smoke Week 4 Rewards! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10502993-mirrors-and-smoke-week-4-rewards%21
- The Mirror Invasion Event – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10505173-the-mirror-invasion-event
- Advanced Light Cruiser Bundle Stats! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10502913-advanced-light-cruiser-bundle-stats%21
- Introducing the Brand New T1 Miranda! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10502823-introducing-the-brand-new-t1-miranda%21
- Also, The Advanced Light Cruiser Bundle – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10502673-the-advanced-light-cruiser-bundle
- Furthermore, [TNG at 30] The Celebrity Super-Fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation – http://www.treknews.net/2017/05/19/star-trek-tng-super-fans/
- Wil Wheaton talks ‘Star Trek,’ ‘Big Bang Theory,’ and living with depression – http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/wil_wheaton_talks_star_trek_bi.html
- Former Paramount Pictures CEO Brad Grey dies at 59 – http://www.startribune.com/former-paramount-pictures-ceo-brad-grey-dies-at-59/422341533/
- So William Shatner talks the power of science fiction on StarTalk – https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/05/15/william-shatner-talks-power-science-fiction-startalk/
- Plus, Why Star Trek Canon Feels Like Homework – https://www.inverse.com/article/31615-star-trek-discovery-canon-timeline-ron-moore-tng-jj-abrams
- Interview: Robert Beltran on Geneviève Bujold, ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ and Silly Space Nazis – http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/15/interview-robert-beltran-on-genevieve-bujold-star-trek-discovery-and-silly-space-nazis/
- Also, Watch Will Ferrell sing Star Trek theme and Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You during university speech – http://www.nme.com/news/film/will-ferrell-star-trek-whitney-houston-2071554
- Watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture recut with the music from Tron: Legacy – https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/14/15638302/star-trek-motion-picture-recut-music-tron-legacy-daft-punk-watch
- In addition, Short News: Audio book excerpt for upcoming TNG: Hearts and Minds by Dayton Ward available – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/05/short-news-audibook-excerpt-for.html
- The Team Behind the New Star Trek Comic on Bringing The Next Generation (and a Buff Picard) to the Mirror Universe – http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-team-behind-the-new-star-trek-comic-on-bringing-the-1795232636
- Short News: Cover for DTI: Shield of the Gods revealed – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/05/short-news-cover-for-dti-shield-of-gods.html
- Finally, Short news: Final cover and new preview pics for Klingon Empire Travel Guide by Dayton Ward – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/05/short-news-final-cover-and-new-preview.html
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017