G & T Show 236 – Mother’s Day Mayhem
G & T Show 236 – Mother’s Day Mayhem is now available to download. Check it out here. Terry and Allen are not here this week as she has to work in Hawaii. However, NicK, Janet, and Mike are joined by Steve and Sunseahl to talk about the latest happenings in and around the Star Trek Multi-verse. They discuss General, Convention, Book, Product, and Gaming News in addition to the latest Semantic Shenanigans. 50 For 50 has been put on hold until Terry and Allen return, but in the meantime, there’s still a lot to talk about including Captain America: Civil War and more.
After this week’s introductions, they jump into this week’s Coffee Klatch. Last week Nick wasn’t here because he was moving into the new undisclosed location. They talk about some of its amenities including the view, and the escape route. Sunseahl sounds like the Password lady that they decide that they may end up doing a version of Star Trek Password for their next 24 Hours of G & T event. They discuss some of other game shows and their hosts including how much Nick hates Alex Tribek.
Mike traveled to the Land of Enchantment and is currently broadcasting from the New Mexico studio. He’s having a nice time with the dogs and enjoyed his time with Terry and Allen before they left on their trip. Janet has been working on her final project and has been stressing out. Her graduation ceremony is on the 14th. Sunseahl has been watching the outrage that erupted around the latest news from Star Trek Online. Steve has been busy working and podcasting. He hasn’t slept since Thursday. Nick saw Captain America.
Captain America: Civil War
Mike and Steve also saw Captain America: Civil War. They start off talking about the misspelling Mike made in the chatroom that appeared as part of the cameo. Nick enjoyed the new film, describing it as a home run. He talks about how well they have woven all of their movies together with Easter eggs that call back to the first Iron Man movie. The humor is what sets apart Marvel from DC. In Civil War, the first half of the film was so serious, while the second half, once the war had begun, the humor amped up. He compares this film to Batman vs. Superman. Mike mentions that despite the division that is occurring in the Avengers, there is still the underlying friendship between the characters.
Sunseahl says that DC had a cinematic universe for years, but they didn’t connect them together in the same way as Marvel. Nick agrees. They have a blueprint interlocking all of the stories from film, television, and Netflix. Then Mike talks about DC’s multi-verse. Gotham, SuperGirl, the films, and the Arrow/Flash/Legends Universes are all treated separately. But points out that the Flash and Supergirl crossover illustrated not only how the DC multi-verse is separate but also how they can come together. Nick mentions the hint within the Arrow/Flash universe pointing to the existence of Batman through Oracle.
Nick has got his television and Internet connected. He has gone a week with out it. Mike brings the DC and Marvel discussion back to Trek by mentioning their different approaches to storytelling, their handling of their respective universes. Star Trek can easily handle all types of universe-spanning stories. They wind up the discussion but shift into the Klingons of Long Island.
They move onto General News. Mike starts them off with an artist who developed some vintage ads. All of the images have a retro 1950s feel. But the Enterprise reminds Mike of a chromed-out Studebaker. Next, he discusses the combat armor that will herald Anbu-Jyutsu. It is a flexible armor that would allow combatants to face off against one another with a variety of weapons in addition to martial arts fighting styles. So Riker and his father would be proud.
Next, Mike discusses Seth MacFarlane’s upcoming show. He is developing a Star Trek-style comedy for Fox. However, Mike doesn’t think it’s going to be a parody. This dramedy will be set in space aboard the Orville. Apparently, its going to be a mix of Star Trek, Family Guy, and Galaxy Quest. Then they discuss some possibilities.
They discuss product news next. There are a lot of stamps this week and not just from Canada. Then Nick and Janet joke about S & H Green Stamps. Plus Mike talks about the Women of Star Trek stamps. There will be two sheets. The first sheet will feature six stamps with Star Trek six women, while the seventh stamp will be on its own sheet and will feature Seven of Nine. They talk about the selection of the women and wonder why other women were not included. The stamp set could have been expanded.
Next, Mike talks about the Perth Mint and their newest Stamps and Coin sets. The first set will feature 25 stamps featuring iconic characters in a two sheet set. They are also producing limited edition Stamp and Coin sets. The first one will feature Spock and will have a $1 Spock coin and Spock coins on a sheet. The second sheet will have a $1 Enterprise coin with stamps.
Then Mike moves on to the Canada stamps. First, we feature the complete set of stamps. These include Klingons as well as the Enterprise crew, and a pair of ships including the D7 and the Enterprise. Nick talks about the fires in Canada and sends his thoughts out to them. The Canadians are also releasing motion stamps featuring actual video and still images to pay tribute to the transporter and The City on the Edge of Forever. They are great and the hosts try to figure out how you can create the motion effect on a stamp. And their best guess about how it’s shaped is through a lensing effect.
And then Mike mentions they have some corrections from last week. Nick had contacted Mike but they had forgotten what it was about at the moment. While Nick tries to remember, Mike mentions Geek Paintings. Several people told us that Geek Paintings is a scam and they steal art in their work. G & T Show supports licensed products and the work of individual artists. They apologize for the oversight and any issues that including that link into their show last week may have caused. Janet adds that G & T cares about the consumer as well as the creator of their work.
Comic Book Day
Next up, Nick talks about Comic Book Day yesterday. Plus he mentions his experiences at Comic Book Day. However, the nearest comic book store for Sun is over 50 miles away. Mike considered going, but Kaboom had shut down. He had found another comic shop but it was pretty far away and he was still getting acclimated to New Mexico. Finally, Star Trek Panic is now on sale through the Star Trek.com store.
Book News is next. Star Trek.com had an article that featured a sneak peak at what is inside of a Travel Guide to Vulcan by Dayton Ward. Some of the photos are fantastic. This is a must get. There are lots of nods to Vasquez Rock. Mike wants a copy and suggests everyone get one. The book will be released on July 19th for about $20. Nick suggest everyone support the licensed authors. Another Star Trek.com article talks about the Ships of the Line Book II. The article features interviews with several of the people behind the book and features wonderful photos from the book.
Nick takes us into Convention News. He runs through the list of guests attending STLV 2016. Nick is excited about: Terry Erdmann and Paula Block, Aron Eisenberg, and most importantly: Clint Howard. They discuss him and are pleased to see he will be attending the convention. Mike talks about the new guests attending Destination Star Trek Europe. Steve is hoping to attend Destination Star Trek Europe. They hope Steve will cover it for G & T.
If you’re going to attend, get in touch with us. Then Nick wonders why the next Star Trek trailer hasn’t been included with Captain America. Nick talks about some of the trailers he saw during Captain America. However, some fans get mad about female leads in Scifi films such as Star Wars. Then Mike pulls the conversation back to Convention News by mentioning Critericon. Adrianne has launched her Kickstarter for it. This mini-con will take place during STLV. She needs to raise $4500 but has only raised 500 with 15 days remaining. Mike talks about Star Trek Mission New York and the guests announced for that event. Nick shares a funny convention story about Kevin Smith.
Then Mike passes to Janet to cover this week’s Semantic Shenanigans. A lot of stuff came down this week. Monday will have a scheduling conference. The oral arguments were to begin for the Motion to Dismiss, but the judge decided he has everything he needs in order to come to a decision.
Janet provides her background. And she mentions the blog posts on the G & T Show site. Then they send a shout out to AxaMonitor. Janet mentions the schedule filed this week. If the lawsuit goes to trial, it wouldn’t be for another year. She explains the deposition process alone may take days and can involved dozens of people from all over the world. She also provides the definition of hearsay as it applies to Peters’s social media being included in discovery to show a pattern of contradiction. G & T’s goal is inform people to be able to make their own decisions about the case.
She gets to the recently filed documents. She begins with the amicus document regarding the Klingon Language. Mike mentions that since last week’s discussion, they were contacted by the Language Creation Society with some corrections. Those corrections were appended to last week’s post. Janet briefly talks about their lawyer. He’s a First Amendment lawyer with an interesting practice. More information about him and their brief will be posted in one of the upcoming blogs.
Upcoming blog posts
There will be three blogs coming out. The first will be on the 9th, followed with another on the 10th, and the last one the following week. Look for them. Janet goes on to talk about Klingon as a system and how a system is not copyrightable.
Then Nick asks if computer code can be copyrighted. As of right now, it is copyrightable only because the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case. Janet talks about the Supreme Court. Mike talks about created computer languages and how it relates to Klingon and other created languages. Whether that will hold out remains to be seen. However, a decision about created languages and Klingon will be made in the Axanar case.
It’s possible that Klingon will be removed from the suit. However, if that happens, it won’t affect the case all that much. The aggregate of what makes a Klingon is still admissible even if the language and everything else Klingon is removed from the case. Axanar still committed plenty of other infringements.
They eventually talk about living languages. There are some vital words missing from Klingon and Janet talks about some of them. Mike chimes in that Klingon has a long way to go. It is slowly growing, but its growing at the behest of the Klingon Language Institute and at the whim of Marc Okrand. It doesn’t grow or evolve through the needs of its users.
For example, the Academe Francaise prefers one term for the weekend, while the French people prefer another. The needs of the people will trump those of the organization in a living language. Janet talks about how French was created by the mixing of the language of Gaul with Latin.
Plus Mike points out that Klingon users will use transliteration to create placeholders for missing words until better words have been introduced. Just because one person uses a transliterated word doesn’t mean it will be accepted and used by others. Sun talks about friend of the show, Deyvid, who studied Klingon and transliterated his name and has spoken about other transliterated words, such as pizza.
Sun offers her thoughts on living languages and how they all evolved naturally from one common language that evolved over thousands and thousands of years. Janet discusses the idea of evolution not just in language but in nature and how with enough time and ample changes can result in separate species, just as it occurs with language. There will be more blogs coming. As soon as more information is made available, we will keep you informed.
They move on to discuss this week’s Gaming News, beginning with the big announcement that Star Trek Online’s newest expansion Agents of Yesterday will be debuting this summer. The attached trailer is voiced by Vic Mignogna. We know him from Star Trek: Continues, but he’s a very popular voice actor. Mike had heard that he will not be voicing Kirk in the role, but he will have a role in the expansion. From what he has heard, Vic will be playing another Starfleet Captain that will be guiding players through the expansion.
Then Mike goes on to discuss the various packs that will be coming out with the new expansion. Sun talks about a leak of the pack information. It included a TOS EV suit, and the USS Enterprise, which could have been an Admiralty ship. Mike talks about the items included in the Temporal Agent Starter Pack and then the Temporal Special Agent Pack. Nick asks about whether level 60 players will want another T1 ship. There are several T5 and T6 ships for high level players.
New STO Ships
The newer ships are reminiscent of the Enterprise J and may be evolutionary steps. Sun asks about the previous release of some uniforms included in the Special Agent pack. Mike thinks those costumes are being included to add value and to give everyone a chance to get them. Then they talk about inspiration for the newer ships. But there’s no ETA as to when the expansion will be released, except for this summer. Sun and Steve mention that the Legacy of Romulan pack did feature additional items that weren’t initially released. Mike thinks the other items in the leaked announcement may still get added. Some people have asked where the Klingon and Romulan TOS-era ships are with this pack.
Star Trek Timelines
Then Nick asks Mike if there was any Timelines news. Mike sat in the latest disruptor stream. The next update 1.1.1 should probably be out within the next week or two. It includes changes to the shuttle missions that includes boosts that can increase or decrease time for shuttle mission completions. There will also be character boosts and other stuff as well.
Plus the store will be revamped. There will be different categories for crew, boosts/items, and dilithium. And new crew will be added to the game including Bruce Maddox, TNG series LaForge, Barclay, and a new Q variant, though Mike hopes it’s Mariachi Q along with 27 more new characters from TOS, Klingons, and more. They hinted that people should start leveling Kirk and Uhura, suggesting there may be a new event coming soon featuring those characters. Finally, Timelines will be at STLV and New York and other conventions in the near future. But Sun has been having trouble with the latest update to her tablet and is unable to play Timelines anymore.
Finally, they move onto this week’s announcements. O Sports Show will be releasing their next episode later this week. The Gettysburg’s Address is in talks. Work is being done on Gates of Sto’vo’kor and Starfinder. Also, Mike forgot to mention: a couple of weeks ago, a Straight Outta Gallifrey was released.
Steve adds that 24 Hours of G & T is in planning. Janet graduates on Saturday. She’s not registered anywhere for graduation gifts but is ready to go. She is also working on her Capstone project. Follow her on Facebook and Twitter. She’s LonelyWriter on Facebook and Lonely1Writer on Twitter. Steve is working on most scifi podcasts. Then Sun mentions that Tribbles In Ecstasy interview Carlos with AxaMonitor. And with that they wind down this week’s show by awkwardly wishing all of the moms out there a Happy Mother’s Day.
- New Details on the Upcoming Star Trek TV series Revealed – http://boundingintocomics.com/2016/04/27/new-details-upcoming-star-trek-tv-series-revealed/?utm_content=buffer9cc51&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- New TV Trek to Be Smart Show – http://1701news.com/node/1169/new-tv-trek-be-smart-show.html
- Pinewood Toronto Studios: Brand new Home of Star Trek – http://1701news.com/node/1170/pinewood-toronto-studios-brand-new-home-star-trek.html
- CBS Confirms Star Trek 2017 Episodes to Arrive Weekly – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/05/cbs-confirms-star-trek-2017-episodes-to-arrive-weekly/
- Inside A Travel Guide to Vulcan – http://www.startrek.com/article/inside-a-travel-guide-to-vulcan
- Ships of the Line Book II – Bigger, Faster, Stronger – http://www.startrek.com/article/ships-of-the-line-book-ii-bigger-faster-stronger
- Star Trek Renegades: The Requiem script is locked – https://www.facebook.com/1548972372099607/photos/a.1555635214766656.1073741828.1548972372099607/1572785893051588/?type=3&theater
- Star Trek: New Voyages continues working on their sets – https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205990753397833&set=a.10200205575091991.1073741825.1530489018&type=3&theater
- Shatner calls out Mignogna on Twitter for using TOS images – https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/727293815057338372
- Project Discovery: 100 Years In Spaceflight Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18fIdRSwUaA
- Chance Encounter – A Star Trek short film – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1512203744/chance-encounter-a-star-trek-short-film?ref=nav_search
- Private Donations Push Fan-Film To Goal – http://1701news.com/node/1179/private-donations-push-fan-film-goal.html
- Star Trek Re-imagined in Vintage Ads – http://viralfrequency.com/star-trek-re-imagined-in-vintage-ads/
- Unified Weapons Master Armor video could hearld Anbo-jyutsu as seen between Riker and his dad – https://www.facebook.com/SoreidemSTO/posts/10208797812123456?notif_t=like¬if_id=1462236521964693
- Seth MacFarlane to Make Star Trek Style Comedy – http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/05/05/seth-macfarlane-make-star-trek-style-comedy/
- In Copyright Lawsuit, Star Trek fan work Gets Its Easy Rider Moment – http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterdecherney/2016/05/02/in-copyright-lawsuit-star-trek-fan-work-gets-its-easy-rider-moment/#31ddfc4b5ded
- Perth Mint Unveils 50th Anniversary Stamps and Coins – http://www.startrek.com/article/perth-mint-unveils-50th-anniversary-stamps-coins
- New Trek Stamps Set to “MOVE” fans – http://www.startrek.com/article/new-trek-stamps-set-to-move-fans
- CORRECTION: GeekPaintings Is a Scam and Features Stolen Art – http://www.mommanextdoor.com/2015/12/stolen-art-geekpaintings-scam.html?m=1That%27s
- Star Trek Stamps: Canada Post Boldly Goes Where it’s Never Gone Before – http://globalnews.ca/news/2680537/star-trek-stamps-canada-post-boldly-goes-where-its-never-gone-before/?sf25714236=1
- Star Trek Panic is now on sale – http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=978546&ecid=SMM-ST-00935&pa=SMM-ST-00935
- New Women of Star Trek Postage Stamps – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/03/new-women-of-star-trek-postage-stamps.html
- Justin Lin Focuses on Star Trek Beyond’s Characters – http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/05/justin-lin-focuses-on-star-trek-beyonds-characters/
- Final Star Trek Beyond Trailer to debut at 50th Anniversary Fan Event – http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14/star-trek-beyond-final-trailer-fan-event
- Star Trek 4 May Already Be In the Works, Here’s What we Know – http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Trek-4-May-Already-Works-Here-What-We-Know-128507.html
- Star Trek: Destination Europe – New Guests Confirmed – http://www.destinationstartrek.com/
- STLV 2016: Guest List – http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_guests.html
- Star Trek Mission: New York – Special Guests – https://www.startrekmissions.com/Guests/Special-Guests/
- CriteriCon 2016 Prequel Con at STLV Kickstarter – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/critericon/critericon-2016-prequel-event
- Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday Announcement with Video – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9937943-star-trek-online%3A-agents-of-yesterday-announcement
- Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday Packs – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9950863-star-trek-online%3A-agents-of-yesterday-packs
- STO: Fiction: Steel and Karma – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9945633-star-trek-online%3A-steel-and-karma
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Special Agent Pack – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/918-temporal-special-agent-pack
- Star Trek Online: Temporal Agent Starter Pack – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/926-temporal-agent-starter-pack
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.