G & T Show 290 – Terry & Allen’s STLV Recap 2017
G & T Show 290 – STLV Recap 2017 is now available to download. Check it out here. Terry and Mike are joined by Allen. Additionally, this week marks Nick’s return to the show. They spend most of the show talking about Terry and Allen’s STLV Recap 2017, Star Trek Discovery, and so much more. They also manage to touch on a few notable news items, including: Television, Convention, Product, General, Book, and Gaming News. You don’t want to miss out on all of the fun in this week’s episode of the G & T Show.
They start the show with the usual round of introductions. Nick joins them shortly after Terry and Allen begin their STLV Recap 2017. But in the mean time, they start with Coffee Klatch.
Vacations and Trips
Mike’s parents have successful gone on their vaction. Their first attempt ended prematurely when his mother fell down an escalator and was injured. She recovered and they attempted it again. They are now in the Azores, enjoying their trip. Mike is home alone and is getting creeped out by all of the noises the house makes when no one is here.
Next, Allen has been dragging all week long, since it was a short work week for him due to their trip to STLV. Terry begins their STLV Recap 2017. They arrived Thursday night. Tuesday night was preview night for the vendor’s room, and Wednesday was the first full day of the convention. They didn’t have a booth and attended the convention as tourists, which was weird for them. They stayed at another hotel and not the Rio since it seems like it’s going down hill quickly. Instead, they stayed at the Vdara. They paid a premium to stay there over what the Rio charged for the convention. It was clean and quiet.
Then, Allen described how they had to plan their trips back and forth from the convention carefully and ended up carrying around all of their swag. They did attend Karaoke on the first night. The place was packed. Karaoke may have had more people but the quality of singing wasn’t as good as previous years. They were in the back of the room getting reacquainted with their friends and weren’t paying that much attention to the singing.
Then, to their surprise, Nick returns from his journey to Camp Northstar. He talks about it briefly. Nick contributes to Coffee Klatch with a conspiracy theory about Chinese Restaurants. You’ve got to hear it. It’s a cautionary tale. They also watched Atomic Blonde. He liked the film, but his wife hated it. He talks about Charlize Theron’s performance in the film. Next week, they’re going to see the Hitman’s Bodyguard.
The problem with Nick’s computer had something to do with the battery. It was eight years old and caused some kind of issue, though he wasn’t sure what.
STLV Recap 2017
Then, Terry returns to her STLV Recap 2017 by talking about how weird it was that they didn’t have a booth and Nick and Mike were not there. Apparently, there were a lot of people that weren’t there and yet there were a lot of people that were. That was the thing about having a booth was that people were able to find you, but as a fan, its hit and miss. They didn’t get to meet up with everyone that they wanted to touch base with.
The noise in the show was caused by Nick’s mic.
Next, Terry and Allen admit that they didn’t sit in on many panels, though they did sit in on some of the science ones. They talk about Phil Plaitt moderating some of the panels. Allen thought that he was nervous in the beginning but he settled in quickly. Allen discusses some of those panels. Those panels were very well attended. Allen liked his presentation style.
The Roddenberry Stage
Then, STLV Recap 2017 continues. There wasn’t a Roddenberry Stage this year. Instead, it was the CBS All Access stage. Most of those panels were hosted by Jordan Hoffman. They had game shows, cosplay interviews, trivia, and other fun activities in the Quark’s bar area.
The Vendor’s Room
Continuing with the STLV Recap 2017, Hallmark was present this year. They had TNG Itty Bittys and a con exclusive Enterprise C. The regulars were there but Teras Cassidy from Geek Nation Tours did not have a booth but Teras was there somewhere. Last year, MAC cosmetics had the biggest booth. This year, they didn’t have anyone like that, although Roddenberry had a tower with their logo on their booth.
Then, they keep the STLV Recap 2017 going. There were more celebrity autograph tables this year. Terry doesn’t know if Hallmark will be back next year, but hopes so. They thought the vendor’s room seemed less populated. There were some empty tables in the back. They take a few jabs at Creation for refusing to return Terry’s call to book a booth. Creation is the one to blame for empty tables. Terry congratulates Women at Warp and Priority One Podcast. They are part of Roddenberry.com. Elio and Jarrah both were able to moderate some panels.
Mike asked if there were any areas that seemed to be as social as their booth usually was. The Star Trek Online booth seemed to be the most social area. Terry mentions that she has 9 codes for the Galaxy Ship Pack and 8 codes for Geordi LaForge. Message Terry if you are interested.
Next, STLV Recap 2017 continues with a discussion of Nick Duguid’s Spock Helmet. He was selected for the second round of the costume contest. Phil Plaitt even spent the first few minutes of one of his panels talking with Nick about it. The Spock helmet is one of those white whale things that people have only seen on the internet and never in real life.
Nick made it himself since there’s no way to buy one. Mike mentions watching him make it on his Facebook page. They discuss the helmet and its origins. Dayton challenged Nick to create a new variant of the helmet with one major difference. He wants a canon on the front to create a Head Canon helmet.
Costume Mashup Contest
Next, The STLV Recap 2017 continues with The Duras Sisters won the costume contest. They had upgraded their costumes and make-up since last year. There was a new costume contest this year. It was a mash-up costume contest. Allen mentions the Fred Flintstone mashup, The Scooby Doo mashup, Cherkotay, The Minions mashup, and The Klingon Jedi mashup with our friend Deyvid. They discuss each of the costumes and what they liked from them. Deyvid’s costume was fantastic and it could have survived in both universes. Terry believed he should have been in the final group.
Terry loved the Cherkotay mashup. The winner was Hawkgirl. The costume itself was amazing. It had extending wings with individual feathers that actually moved. The Victorian Enterprise costume was another great one and the moderator created a fourth place winner with prize just for it. The Minions took third place. Scooby was second. The mashup costume contest will return next year.
Skor! Mike saw pictures of them at the convention. Skor are his favorite aliens from The Animated Series. there were two great but very subtle cosplay. People had cosplayed as Ira Steven Behr and Michael Pillar. A couple of years ago, they had Lucille Ball. They discuss more of the costumes that they had seen including some of the more esoteric ones.
After a return to Nick’s Chinese Food Conspiracy, they return to STLV Recap 2017. Terry mentions the TNG Juan Ortiz posters. Allen mentions the bridge as well as the room dedicated to the costumes and props from Star Trek Discovery. They had seen photos of them. Mike asks if Terry managed to take a photo of herself in front of Guinan’s bar. Dayton had one. They had some photo-ops there. Nick asks about their friend Dave Chapelle. Mike asks if Dave is still wrestling with snakes, which got them all laughing.
For the first time, there has been a formal presence by the Star Trek authors. Dayton, Kevin, Rob Pearlman, and Dave Mack were there. Mike is pleased that G & T’s hard work has finally paid off. That was one of their stated goals was to get Trek authors at STLV. Mission Accomplished!
Nick talks about Jeffrey Combs’ appearance on Gotham as well as Marvel Defenders which is set to premiere on the 18th.
Insight Editions which publishes Robb’s books and Dayton’s Travel Guides. They had a table for authors to sign books. They also sold books. Scott Pearson was not there. He and Mike commisserated.
Dave Mack’s Discovery novel will be released a few days after the series premiere and Dayton Ward is set to release the second book in the series. Mike talks about a photo he had seen of Dayton examining the Discovery props. Mike asked him if he was doing research. Dayton’s response was that the book has already been written. It is due to be published in January.
STLV Recap continues with the Discovery Licenses. There are a lot of new licenses for toys, games, and more for Discovery. CBS is going all in with it. Mike mentions that they have a promo code for a free month of CBS All Access. Just use STARTREKSALE at check out.
Nick wonders if CBS All Access will be on XBOX. Mike thinks that it is but isn’t sure. Terry looks it up. She names all of different ways that you can watch CBS All Access.
Terry asked Mike about his opinion on all of the Klingon stuff from Discovery. He is eager to see it in the show. Pictures only show so much.
Nick shares his feelings on how fandom has become so negative and how it has affected him. He doesn’t like exclusion for the sake of diversity. Terry talks about how excited everyone was for Discovery at STLV. The show’s love of Star Trek should be obvious. The “True Fan” ideal is irksome. The new show is being made to reach the untapped market. Current fans are not what the show is being made to attract. New fans will discover other Trek through their love of their new show. The call for boycotts are ridiculous.
Nick talks about Gotham and how some fans didn’t like it. The show works so well even if the Batman references have been removed from it.
Since Nick is disenheartened by the fandom, Mike talks about something that came out of STLV that has reinvigorated his fandom. The Star Trek film Academy marks a milestone that finally ended for Mike the crap that started more than a year ago with the Axanar lawsuit. James Cawley from the Star Trek Bridge Tour will train people how to create a fan film on their sets with the help of Star Trek professionals in front of and behind the cameras. By the end of it, people will a fan film they created. Mike is pleased that CBS has allowed this to happen. It has really helped him appreciate fan films once again.
Celebrate All of Trek
Star Trek and Discovery are getting some great marketing. This makes them all very happy. The convention had a room dedicated to TNG props and costumes as well. She loved the Mudd costume and mentions some of the other highlights. It was a celebration of all Star Trek not just TNG’s 30th Anniversary. Terry mentions the TNG panel and Frakes inability to attend.
Discovery is getting the full treatment across all of Star Trek’s licenses. For video games, Discovery will be appearing in Star Trek Online, Timelines, and the upcoming game, Pocket Starships: Borg Invasion. She talks about how each of them will be handling it. It’s being integrating into Trek immediately. It is something they didn’t do with Enterprise.
Mike thinks that Enterprise was trying to separate themselves from Trek because of a perceived stigma. Changing its schedule didn’t help Enterprise. Discovery on a streaming service won’t have that problem. People will be able to watch it whenever they want.
They stray from STLV Recap 2017 to discuss some of the news that came out this week. Ever since they started the show, they have said that network tv is dying. Streaming services are growing. Disney will be launching its own streaming service soon. They are removing their content from Netflix to air on their channel as well as creating a streaming service for ESPN. Terry, Nick and Allen discuss the possibility of an NFL streaming service or channel. They have to wait for all of the contracts to end.
She talks about MLB.tv and doesn’t think that NFL will be able to do it as effectively as the MLB had done. NHL is scratching at the surface. NBA has alot of contracts that it has to deal with first. Terry doesn’t think the NFL will be able to make as much money through its own streaming service. Rather, they will probably continue selling licensing to different streaming service.
Then, Mike points out that CBS All Access has announced that it will be launching a Sports streaming channel. ESPN will finally get their own streaming channel. They discuss some of the problems with ESPN on network television. People are cutting the cord and picking what they want to watch by keeping their Internet. Now they get what they pay for. It’s a shift from Direct to Video to Direct to Consumer. CBS All Access needs to keep viewers subscribing to keep their shareholders happy. The consumer holds all of the power and they can lead with their wallets. We will see more and more streaming services not less.
They are excited to see Discovery and many have started subscribing to All Access the moment Discovery was announced.
Jacob Brown Press
Then, Nick received a review copy of The Showrunner from Jacob Brown Press about producer Cy Chermak. Nick names some of the shows Cy worked on. It was a fascinating book. It goes over what is needed to produce a show in Hollywood. He even discusses what the titles in a show means. Nick enjoyed it and recommends you check it out. It’s not a dense book like These Are the Voyages. It provides a behind the scenes look at so many shows. The Showrunner for a show is managing four episodes a week while a movie director only has to worry about the one movie. You can get it from Amazon here.
Finally, Terry returns to STLV Recap 2017 to talk about Trek Geeks and their Fan Sets launch party at The Other Room at Caesar’s Palace. She had a great time. They gave away pins. Terry send her love to everyone at TrekGeeks and FanSets. TrekGeeks also raised over $2000 to help the Nevada SPCA.
Nick wishes a very public Happy Birthday to Steve. Then, Mike plays the new update from Live Love Play. Check out Live Love Play, Semantic Shenanigans, O Sports Show, and the other BLB Productions. Nick hopes to get some GBA’s recorded now that he’s got his computer back, including a written companion piece. Mike mentions that the special house champion tournament episode for The LEGO Adventures of Big Dude and Lil Dude is now available. Star Trek Adventures of the USS T’Pau may become a BLB Production. Mike talks about something he had done in the most recent episode. Check it all out.
Terry will be traveling next week to visit The Ferris’ to watch the solar eclipse. They are not sure if Mike and Nick will be doing a show next week. Keep an eye on social media for details. Next month, Nick will be at Salt Lake Comic Con. They conclude with some shout outs.
BLB Productions News
- LLP’s The LEGO Adventures of Big Dude and Lil Dude Special Episode 1 House Championship Tournament – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0594JBP-Afk
- CBS All Access – Free Month promo code is STARTREKSALE – https://twitter.com/SoriedemSTO/status/896061064789475328
- Star Trek Adventures of the USS T’Pau Episode 3 part 3 – https://www.facebook.com/SoriedemSTO/posts/10213238292452689
- LeVar Burton Sued for Using His Reading Rainbow Catchphrase on His Podcast – http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/levar-burton-sued-for-using-his-reading-rainbow-catchphrase.html
- First List of Star Trek: Discovery Licensees Detailed – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/08/first-list-of-star-trek-discovery-licensees-detailed/
- Test Footage of Original USS Discovery Surfaces – http://ncc-1031.com/news/test-footage-original-uss-discovery-surfaces/
- Disney’s building its own Netflix. Everyone else might, too – https://www.wired.com/story/disney-leaving-netflix/
- Netflix Will Be a Rip-Off Soon – https://www.thestreet.com/story/14262555/1/netflix-s-decision-to-pull-disney-content-is-robbing-the-american-family-blind.html
- NBC Shuts Down Web Comedy Service – http://adage.com/article/digital/nbc-shuts-web-comedy-service-digital-strategy-shifts/310079/
- Star Trek: Discovery Character Posters Reveal New Klingon Character – http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-posters-klingons/
- Star Trek: Discovery Should Recommit to the Idea of “Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations” – http://www.tor.com/2017/08/08/star-trek-discovery-should-recommit-to-the-idea-of-infinite-diversity-in-infinite-combinations/
- Les Moonves say Star Trek: Discovery is terrific – https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/08/10/les-moonves-star-trek-discovery-terrific/
- CBS TV Star Trek: Discovery Michael Burnham Starfleet uniform outfit full set halloween cosplay make-up costume xmas gift – https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CBS-TV-Star-Trek-Discovery-Michael-Burnham-Starfleet-uniform-outfit-full-set-halloween-cosplay-make-up/32825090408.html?trace=msiteDetail2pcDetail
- Get These DIY Star Trek Ships and Build Your Own Starfleet – http://geeksupply.co/diy-star-trek-ships-and-build-your-own-starfleet/
- Star Trek PADD Journal – http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jtgo/
- Star Trek Uhura Journal – https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jtgn/
- Flat-pack Star Trek Starship Kits Let You DIY Starfleet – https://technabob.com/blog/2017/08/08/flat-pack-star-trek-starship-kit/#ixzz4paAdaVh4
- Official Star Trek Iconic Characters Tos Gorn Soft Gel Case For Apple Iphone 5C – https://www.staples.com/Official-Star-Trek-Iconic-Characters-Tos-Gorn-Soft-Gel-Case-For-Apple-Iphone-5C/product_23988154
- Coming Soon: Star Trek: Discovery Starship Collection – https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Article/coming-soon-star-trek-discovery-starship-collection
- Extra Large Star Trek Starships – https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/08/extra-large-star-trek-starships/
- Star Trek The Original Series Captain’s Log Journal – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-original-series-captains-log-journal/detail.php?p=1395660&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Also, Star Trek The Original Series Spock Journal – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-the-original-series-spock-journal/detail.php?p=1395665&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Starfleet Academy Command Rocks Glass – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-academy-command-rocks-glass/detail.php?p=1429887&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Starfleet Academy Engineering Rocks Glass – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-academy-engineering-rocks-glass/detail.php?p=1429892&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- In addition, Star Trek Starfleet Academy Medical Rocks Glass – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-academy-medical-rocks-glass/detail.php?p=1429897&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- Star Trek Starfleet Academy Science Rocks Glass – http://shop.startrek.com/star-trek-starfleet-academy-science-rocks-glass/detail.php?p=1429902&v=startrek_new-arrivals
- First Look: Official Star Trek Starships XL Editions – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-official-star-trek-starships-xl-editions
- Star Trek Voyager – 4k Title Sequence – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sns1Xj6L-Qc&feature=youtu.be
- Man Plays A Medley Of Star Trek Tunes On A Church’s Pipe Organ – http://geekologie.com/2017/08/man-plays-a-medley-of-star-trek-tunes-on.php
- Fox: We’re not worried Star Trek will sue us for Orville – http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/star-trek-orville/
- 1:1 USS Enterprise |Star Trek Beyond Refit| – https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/1-1-uss-enterprise-star-trek-beyond-refit/
- Star Trek Adventures leaves dry dock and lauches at Gencon – http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/star-trek-adventures-leaves-dry-dock-and-launches-at-gencon/0234167
- STO on Console- 26th Century Dreadnought R&D Promotion! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/star-trek-online/news/detail/10599164-26th-century-dreadnought-r%26d-promotion%21
- Trailer Time – Star Trek: Borg Invasion for Pocket Starships – http://www.startrek.com/article/trailer-time-star-trek-borg-invasion-for-pocket-starships
- SPYR Releases Pocket Starships: Star Trek™ Borg Invasion Trailer – http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/spyr-releases-pocket-starships-star-trek-borg-invasion-trailer-otc-pink-spyr-2229733.htm
- Build That Ship You’ve Always Wanted with Qthulhu’s Guides! – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10599254-build-that-ship-you%27ve-always-wanted-with-qthulhu%27s-guides%21
- STO Fiction – A Warrior Reborn – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10606574-%22a-warrior-reborn%22
- Attack Wing Card Pack Preview Wave 1- U.S.S. Grissom – http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-card-pack-preview-wave-1-u-s-s-grissom
- 26th Century Dreadnought R&D Promotion – http://www.startrek.com/article/26th-century-dreadnought-rd-promotion
- SyFyWire Video: All the Great Stuff we saw at Las Vegas’s Star Trek Convention – http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/video-we-went-to-the-star-trek-convention-so-you-didnt-have-to
- Inside The Star Trek: Discovery’s Writers Room – http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/XKEWmIiFh_obo6M_MAjwBlUbGrMUVF2L/star-trek-inside-the-star-trek-discovery-s-writers-room/
- Watch: Discovery Cast at STLV17 – http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-discovery-cast-at-stlv17
- George Takei & Karl Urban Wrap Up STLV17 – http://www.startrek.com/article/george-takei-karl-urban-wrap-up-stlv17
- Watch: Discovery Cast at STLV17 – http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-discovery-cast-at-stlv17
- Captains Beam Down to Vegas at STLV17 – http://www.startrek.com/article/captains-beam-down-to-vegas-at-stlv17
- Star Trek: Discovery gets its first comic book series and novel – http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery-comic-book-series-novel/
- First Look: The Art of Star Trek: The Kelvin Timeline – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-the-art-of-star-trek-the-kelvin-timeline
- Star Trek Set Tour Launching Star Trek Film Academy – http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/08/star-trek-set-tour-launching-star-trek-film-academy/
- Miraculous Star Trek-style device could cure Alzheimer’s with a single touch – http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/miraculous-star-trek-style-device-10945786
- Star Trek healing device could soon be available in the real world – https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/health/star-trek-healing-device-soon-available-real-world/
- Karl Urban Is Happy With Star Trek Beyond Being His Last Trek Movie – http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/09/star-trek-movies-karl-urban/
- Karl Urban Says He’d Be Satisfied If Star Trek Beyond Was Final Kelvin Timeline Film – http://www.treknews.net/2017/08/08/karl-urban-star-trek-4-stlv/
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017