G & T Show 298 – Gaping Writing Holes
Gaping writing holes don’t get us down.
What’s New With Us
Gaping Writing Holes is now available to download. Check it out here. This week, Terilynn returns to the show after her one-week absence to join Nick and Mike once again. Steve (Midnite) joins us to help with our live Facebook and YouTube feeds.
Coffee Klatch starts off with a run-down of what the hosts have done over the past week. First of all, Steve has been extremely physically active both at work and in his personal life as he trains to get ready for his first 5K. Also, Mike’s been working hard and got rewarded with a stomach bug. In addition, Nick’s car is still in the shop while it waits for a new engine. Terilynn had several presentations for her company’s conference while dealing with a cold. However, she finally succumbed to the cold and has spent the remaining portion of the week in bed.
The Adventures of the USS T’Pau
Nick and Mike had a great conversation about their experience with this week’s game of Star Trek Adventures. That is the dice-based RPG game published by Modiphius. Mike had his first experience GM’ing The Adventures of the USS T’Pau. So it seems to have gone very well despite the players’ horrific rolls of the dice. Also, he was challenged to deal with so many failures. And there was one that almost led to his own character’s death! Nick assures us all that Mike’s talents as a GM were being far underplayed by Mike. And instead Mike did a spectacular job considering the challenges posed by the dice.
Star Trek Discovery
The Discussion then turned for the rest of the show to Star Trek Discovery, and the gaping writing holes in the latest episode: The Butcher’s Knife Cares Not for the Lamb’s Cry.
Nick had taken notes while he watched the episode. Hence he talked about his frustrations with the gaping writing holes of characters and situations. While all agreed the visuals in this show were wonderful. So this was especially those seen in the initial shot of the uniform replicator. Terry, Mike and Nick seemed to agree that there were some enormous writing gaffes appearing in this episode.
Gaping Writing Holes
Nick complained about Burnham’s character receiving a package from her late captain, that had an intermittent “beep.” Instead of opening it, she shoves it under her bed, where the sound would be reminiscent of a smoke alarm with a dying battery. All three discussed what had become an apparent gaping writing holes in the show’s story. So did the Federation actually just leave the Shenzhou drifting in Federation space. And was this without scuttling her, or even the thought of the removal of key technology? Worse, the Federation just left a partially-functioning ENEMY VESSEL drifting in space. FOR SIX MONTHS?
So for Terry and Nick, the gaping writing holes were an unforgiveable and ridiculous error in writing. All action on the Klingon sarcophagus ship shows the surviving Klingons barely hanging on to life. And they hatch a plan to jump over to the wreck of the Shenzhou. This is to pull out a piece of tech to bring their dying ship back to life. However, at just that moment, Kol shows back up. And he (in)conveniently, doesn’t have the tech to help his fellow Klingons either. Yet this is despite having a fleet at his disposal. Hence the absurdity of the situation is more than Nick and Terry can tolerate.
Divided They Stand, United They Fall
Then Mike talks a bit about his take on the cultish sect and how they may affect the other Klingon Houses – as well as his opinions that Klingons are brutish with each other, until they face a common enemy, but that their infighting is a key part of their culture. The sparring amongst the houses is what keeps them from falling apart. Divided they stand, united they fall, so to speak.
Terry also discusses criticisms of Michael Burnham’s character. And she agrees with many others, and it may not be what you think! Terry thinks that Burnham is… too perfect! Listen in and see if you agree! Send us your thoughts on the latest episode to [email protected].
Just A Tease
Finally, Gaping Writing Holes wraps up with a tease for the upcoming Episode 300, 24 Hours of G&T! We’re not asking for donations to produce G&T, we’re asking all our listeners to donate to Pop Culture Hero Coalition! Any donation made from October 1 and throughout our 24 hr show will count towards our periodic giveaways. So keep your receipts handy!
As always, thanks for listening!
- First of all, Second Star Trek: Discovery Novel To Delve Into Lorca And Georgiou’s Backstories – https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/13/second-star-trek-discovery-novel-to-delve-into-lorca-and-georgious-backstories/
- Short News: Simon and Schuster catalog listing for Discovery #2 by Dayton Ward seems to confirm early February 2018 release – https://defcons-treklit.blogspot.de/2017/10/short-news-simon-and-schuster-catalog.html
- In addition, Mirror Broken #4 preview – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/mirror-broken-4-preview.html
- Boldly Go #12 preview – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/boldly-go-12-preview.html
- Furthermore, New Visions: What Pain it is to Drown preview – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/new-visions-what-pain-it-is-to-drown.html
- Comics bits: Discovery, Waypoint, and Mirror Broken updates – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/comics-bits-discovery-waypoint-and.html
- Finally, the Second Discovery Novel Is… Drastic Measures – http://www.startrek.com/article/second-discovery-novel-is-drastic-measures
- Review: The Orville Deftly Balances Humor And Morality In “Krill” – https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/12/review-the-orville-deftly-balances-humor-and-morality-in-krill/
- First of all, 7 New Photos From Star Trek: Discovery Ep. 5 Featuring Rainn Wilson As Harry Mudd – https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/12/7-new-photos-from-star-trek-discovery-ep-5-featuring-rainn-wilson-as-harry-mudd/
- Star Trek: Discovery Episode Titles For The Rest Of 2017 Revealed – https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/12/star-trek-discovery-episode-titles-for-the-rest-of-2017-revealed/
- Furthermore, the New Discovery starship concept art and prop photos – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/new-discovery-starship-concept-art-and.html
- Discovery episode 5 trailer, and episode 4 stills and videos – http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2017/10/discovery-episode-5-trailer-and-episode.html
- Finally, FIRST LOOK: Choose Your Pain Photos – http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-choose-your-pain-photos
- Also, Neville Page Talks Discovery’s Creatures, Props & More – http://www.startrek.com/article/neville-page-talks-discoverys-creatures-props-more
- A Night of Discovery Revelations at PaleyFest – http://www.startrek.com/article/a-night-of-discovery-revelations-at-paleyfest
- Discovery Warps into NYCC – http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-warps-into-nycc
- Also, Celebrate The PC Launch of Star Trek Online Season 14 And Win A Tzenkethi Shuk-din Escort – https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/12/celebrate-the-pc-launch-of-star-trek-online-season-14-and-win-a-tzenkethi-shuk-din-escort/
- Experience New Alien Ships from the Tzenkethi – http://www.startrek.com/article/experience-new-alien-ships-from-the-tzenkethi
- Melting Pot Week Two Rewards – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10677664-melting-pot-week-two-rewards
- In addition, Hearts and Minds Returns for Friday the 13th – http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10677654-hearts-and-minds-returns-for-friday-the-13th
- The Exhibition Adds Discovery Props, Captain’s Chair – http://www.startrek.com/article/the-exhibition-adds-discovery-props-captains-chair
- Also, Shatner Beaming to Original Series Set Tour – http://www.startrek.com/article/shatner-beaming-to-original-series-set-tour
- First of all, FanSets’ Discovery Pin #4 Depicts The Ripper – http://www.startrek.com/article/fansets-discovery-pin-4-depicts-the-ripper
- Discovery Pride Women’s Embossed T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK235/star-trek-discovery-pride-womens-embossed-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Furthermore, the Discovery Pride Embossed T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK234/star-trek-discovery-pride-embossed-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Star Trek Discovery Pride Women’s T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK233/star-trek-discovery-pride-womens-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- Discovery Pride T-Shirt – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK232/star-trek-discovery-pride-tshirt?cp=67928_82904
- In addition, the Star Trek Discovery Medical Badge – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK377/star-trek-discovery-medical-badge?cp=67928_82904
- Discovery Operations Badge – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK378/star-trek-discovery-operations-badge?cp=67928_82904
- Star Trek Discovery Command Badge – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK379/star-trek-discovery-command-badge?cp=67928_82904
- Finally, the Discovery Science Badge – https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1AMSTK380/star-trek-discovery-science-badge?cp=67928_82904
But, wait. There’s more.
He is the co-owner of Busy Little Beaver Productions and is the producer and co-host for G & T Show and Gates of Sto’vo’kor. He’s directed voice actors, and produced and edited audio podcasts and dramas because he doesn’t have the face for video. He plays well with others and is always on the look out for the next project, the next thing, the next next. If he wasn’t working on something with a half dozen other projects waiting in the wings, somebody please check to make sure he’s still breathing.
During the day, he’s a mild-mannered computer repair man who dabbles in web design in his small, rural, Central California community. He lives with his lovingly dysfunctional family and loyal canine companion and spends most of his time in the closet concocting some hair-brained scheme or another. He’s got an unhealthy obsession with Lego video games, Klingons, and Star Trek Online that borders on the neurotic.
Despite all this, he still finds the time to write the words. Find out what he's doing here.
Latest posts by Michael Medeiros (see all)
- G & T Show 300 – Groovy Sarek Visions And Other Stranger Things - October 29, 2017
- G & T Show 299 – You Say Eugenics, I Say Portobello - October 22, 2017
- Resignation - October 18, 2017